Jump to topic:

Tod Akin Media firestorm

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 7:26:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I obviously don't agree with the things he's said about rape or his stance on abortion, but I can't help but be annoyed at the mindless hellfire the pundits are throwing over it. Yes we understand that he said something stupid. Yes we understand that he said something offensive, but does that really justify you pinning it to the Republican party, pinning it to Paul Ryan for ever being affiliated with the guy, and does that really justify the shameless condemnation you're reigning over him? I don't know if holding non-mainstream philosophies makes me insensitive to this kind of thing, but it just seems brutally unjustified. It reminds me of the idiotic firestorm over Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney. Are people really this emotional about random things, or is morality just being used as a silver bullet in political discourse, feeding off the impulsive reactions provoked by certain words and certain topics?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 7:40:08 PM
I actually agree.

People are WAY too sensitive.

I didn't like the media firestorm over Hilary Rosen or Rush Limbaugh.

I don't like it know.

People shouldn't be screwed because of a gaffe.
As a general rule, you'll find that, when a conservative is talking about policy, history, economics, or something serious, liberals are nowhere to be found. But, as soon as a conservative mentions Obama's birthplace or personal life, liberals are everywhere, only to dissappear again when evidence enters the discussion.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 7:47:51 PM
I haven't looked into the firestorm outside Aken's revolting remarks, but at first glance (a quick look at NPR's website) tells me that 000ike is right; this is out of hand and being used as fodder for stupid, stupid political barbs. The article which I clicked on asked

How much will the shockwaves buffet the presidential contest or other races elsewhere?

IT SHOULDN'T DO THAT, OUTSIDE OF AKEN'S RACE. Applying Aken's idiotic comment to other people is inherently insane. What did they do to deserve this? Be associated with him? Obviously, there are some pretty bone-headed people in the US congress (Michelle Bachmann and Nancy Pelosi being two examples) but Bachmann should be criticized for her own stupidity and not the stupidity of her fellow congressman.

I think this reflects how low politics in America has gotten to this point. It's a shame that it has inflamed to this.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:17:01 PM
At 8/20/2012 7:40:08 PM, JamesMadison wrote:
I actually agree.

I don't like it know.

Yeah, he should be. It wasn't a "gaffe"; it was a view of his beliefs, and someone who directly attacked the integrity of rape victims like he did should not be selected for office.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:18:40 PM
I did think it is silly to extend his beliefs to the presidential election until I saw that he and Ryan have been teaming up together to gut womyn's rights.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:22:15 PM
At 8/20/2012 8:17:01 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I actually agree.

I don't like it know.

Yeah, he should be. It wasn't a "gaffe"; it was a view of his beliefs, and someone who directly attacked the integrity of rape victims like he did should not be selected for office.

He was rightfully nominated by the Missouri Republican electorate and has every right to his bid for the senate, as well as the right to express his opinions. You don't have to agree with what he says to realize that it doesn't warrant this uncultured uproar.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:25:06 PM
At 8/20/2012 8:22:15 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/20/2012 8:17:01 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I actually agree.

I don't like it know.

He was rightfully nominated by the Missouri Republican electorate and has every right to his bid for the senate, as well as the right to express his opinions. You don't have to agree with what he says to realize that it doesn't warrant this uncultured uproar.

If he has a right to express his uncouth opinions, I have a right to be angry about it, to express my anger (since that is MY opinion), spread the word, and raise people in opposition to him.

I love how people conveniently forget this aspect of rights. You have a right to say whatever you please, but I have a right to respond with my own opinion/argument/speech/belief.
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 12:23:08 AM
What exactly was his comment and why has the GOP overreacted?
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 8:43:00 AM

Yeah, he should be. It wasn't a "gaffe"; it was a view of his beliefs, and someone who directly attacked the integrity of rape victims like he did should not be selected for office.:

If that were true the human gaffe machine, VP Biden, would have been impeached, stoned, hanged, and quartered for all his gaffes.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 9:31:50 AM
I did research on Akin, and it appears that he is so anti-female that he advocates legalizing criminal rape (which was only outlawed 10 years ago in the U.S. but almost 100 years ago n the U.S.S.R.!)
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 9:32:18 AM
At 8/22/2012 9:31:50 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I did research on Akin, and it appears that he is so anti-female that he advocates legalizing criminal rape (which was only outlawed 10 years ago in the U.S. but almost 100 years ago n the U.S.S.R.!)

Sorry, he advocates legalizing marital rape.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 9:54:23 AM
At 8/21/2012 12:23:08 AM, 1Historygenius wrote:
What exactly was his comment and why has the GOP overreacted?

the GOP overreacted because the last thing they need right now is to look like a party of ignorant idiots like Tod Akin not even 4 months away from a presidential election
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 11:59:59 AM
I actually agree.

I don't like it know.

I also agree. Remember the media firestorm over the "You didn't build that!" comment (which, if you watch fox news, is still spreading like wildfire)
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 12:07:53 PM
At 8/22/2012 9:32:18 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/22/2012 9:31:50 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Sorry, he advocates legalizing marital rape.

WOW..He's got boulders to say that on T.V.
If he did or not though its way out of line.
TheAsylum