Total Posts:110|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Democracy in USA R.I.P.?

Cuchulainn
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 3:23:05 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I am of the opinion that America no longer can claim to be a democratic society. In a functioning democracy a free press is fundamental to unbiased dissent and necessary to ensure Independent enquiry into political activities and guarantee that the interests of citizens are addressed ahead of the money men . In America unlike almost every other western democracy free press is a myth. This amounts to thought control of US citizens by the narrowing of political argument in corporate Americas favour.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 3:41:23 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/11/2009 3:23:05 AM, Cuchulainn wrote:
I am of the opinion that America no longer can claim to be a democratic society. In a functioning democracy a free press is fundamental to unbiased dissent and necessary to ensure Independent enquiry into political activities and guarantee that the interests of citizens are addressed ahead of the money men . In America unlike almost every other western democracy free press is a myth. This amounts to thought control of US citizens by the narrowing of political argument in corporate Americas favour.

Well I guess you should ask yourself what can you do about it? Maybe set up a news blog, perhaps have a few friends. No I am not being sarcastic, the only other alternative is to contruct yourself a media empire.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 3:50:04 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
<sigh>
That meant to read... with a few friends, it was not intended as a flame!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 3:53:13 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/11/2009 3:23:05 AM, Cuchulainn wrote:
In America unlike almost every other western democracy free press is a myth.

How so?
So prove me wrong, then.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 10:12:15 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
My comment echos regebro's - how is the free press a myth in the US? You've only been stating things, and not giving us reasons as to why they're true.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 12:09:28 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/11/2009 10:12:15 AM, Volkov wrote:
My comment echos regebro's - how is the free press a myth in the US? You've only been stating things, and not giving us reasons as to why they're true.

Another conspiracy theorist who thinks the Dems. and Repubs. are just pawns to fool us...etc. etc.

I can't believe you didn't see the tin foil hat.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
JBlake
Posts: 4,634
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 12:24:26 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I think we all see the tin foil hat. We are just giving the OP the benefit of the doubt in explaining to us why the tin foil hat is correct and truthful.
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 1:22:05 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/11/2009 3:23:05 AM, Cuchulainn wrote:
I am of the opinion that America no longer can claim to be a democratic society. In a functioning democracy a free press is fundamental to unbiased dissent and necessary to ensure Independent enquiry into political activities and guarantee that the interests of citizens are addressed ahead of the money men . In America unlike almost every other western democracy free press is a myth. This amounts to thought control of US citizens by the narrowing of political argument in corporate Americas favour.

I'd like to point out that we are not and have never been a democracy, we're a Republic. In a Republic, I don't believe there is anything against a biased press. Plus, what do you mean that other western democracy's have unbiased press? In my experience, all news is biased to an extent even if accidental.

Could you name some of the countries with a non-biased press please?
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 2:18:01 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/11/2009 3:23:05 AM, Cuchulainn wrote:
I am of the opinion that America no longer can claim to be a democratic society. In a functioning democracy a free press is fundamental to unbiased dissent and necessary to ensure Independent enquiry into political activities and guarantee that the interests of citizens are addressed ahead of the money men . In America unlike almost every other western democracy free press is a myth. This amounts to thought control of US citizens by the narrowing of political argument in corporate Americas favour.

No more democracy? Such a big loss... :/
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2009 2:29:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
What the suckers don't get is that the tin foil hat is a trick. Without it the mind control doesn't work. It's needed to focus the radio waves.
So prove me wrong, then.
tribefan011
Posts: 106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 1:17:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/11/2009 1:22:05 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
I'd like to point out that we are not and have never been a democracy, we're a Republic. In a Republic, I don't believe there is anything against a biased press. Plus, what do you mean that other western democracy's have unbiased press? In my experience, all news is biased to an extent even if accidental.

Could you name some of the countries with a non-biased press please?

Terms change meaning in time. You'll see that with words like "liberal". Democracy is another, in that it is rarely used in the same context as Aristotle once used it. Rather, we typically use the term "direct democracy" to describe systems like those of Ancient Athens, and we often use the term "representative democracy" or just "democracy" to describe systems like the United States'.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 4:37:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

Panarchy. http://www.panarchy.org...
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 4:38:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

No, that's what we have right now.
Fascism and democracy are not mutually exclusive.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 4:41:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 4:40:36 PM, mongeese wrote:
I lost the game.

That was my first thought too before I had seen the vid, but that's not the game this guy is referring to.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 4:41:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 4:37:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

Panarchy. http://www.panarchy.org...

Government pwns greater evils

In a perfect worlds could have anarchy
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 4:42:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I should note that this thread is a performative contradiction. "New Media" is part of the press too.

I WISH I could say a eulogy for democracy, ( or democratic republicanism ), in America, but I can't. :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 4:42:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 4:41:48 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/12/2009 4:37:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

Panarchy. http://www.panarchy.org...

Government pwns greater evils

In a perfect worlds could have anarchy

And what exactly are these greater evils that the government pwns?
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 4:54:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 4:41:48 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/12/2009 4:37:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

Panarchy. http://www.panarchy.org...

Government pwns greater evils

In a perfect worlds could have anarchy

You just made zero contribution. Thank you.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:03:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

Why is it that, all of a sudden, everyone knows me as a fascist?
Rezzealaux
Posts: 2,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:08:58 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 8:03:07 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

Why is it that, all of a sudden, everyone knows me as a fascist?

It's okay, you're not alone: I think of anyone who supports mixed economies as fascists, too. I don't know why everyone else thinks so, though. They aren't anarchists...
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:09:39 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 8:03:07 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

Why is it that, all of a sudden, everyone knows me as a fascist?

Your political compass: http://www.debate.org...

Fascist!
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:11:47 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 8:09:39 PM, Nags wrote:
At 9/12/2009 8:03:07 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

Why is it that, all of a sudden, everyone knows me as a fascist?

Your political compass: http://www.debate.org...

Fascist!

I may be an authoritarian, Nags, but a fascist I am not.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:18:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 8:11:47 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 8:09:39 PM, Nags wrote:
At 9/12/2009 8:03:07 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

Why is it that, all of a sudden, everyone knows me as a fascist?

Your political compass: http://www.debate.org...

Fascist!

I may be an authoritarian, Nags, but a fascist I am not.

Maybe, maybe not.

Take some tests if you want to prove your innocence. And yes, it is guilty until proven innocent. =)

http://www.moral-politics.com...
http://www.theadvocates.org...
http://selectsmart.com...
http://www.gotoquiz.com...
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:20:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 8:08:58 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
At 9/12/2009 8:03:07 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

Why is it that, all of a sudden, everyone knows me as a fascist?

It's okay, you're not alone: I think of anyone who supports mixed economies as fascists, too. I don't know why everyone else thinks so, though. They aren't anarchists...

It's okay. :P I guess it really is because of that whole 'political compass thing' that I did not long ago; I already knew that I was a social authoritarian, but my fellow debaters seem eager to slap me with the negative stigma of the word 'fascist'. :P
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:21:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 8:18:57 PM, Nags wrote:
At 9/12/2009 8:11:47 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 8:09:39 PM, Nags wrote:
At 9/12/2009 8:03:07 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 4:32:51 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/12/2009 2:24:25 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2009 1:18:48 PM, wjmelements wrote:
The topic assumes that democracy is desirable.

Agreed. And, in my opinion, it isn't.

What is desirable. Fascism?

Why is it that, all of a sudden, everyone knows me as a fascist?

Your political compass: http://www.debate.org...

Fascist!

I may be an authoritarian, Nags, but a fascist I am not.

Maybe, maybe not.

Take some tests if you want to prove your innocence. And yes, it is guilty until proven innocent. =)

http://www.moral-politics.com...
http://www.theadvocates.org...
http://selectsmart.com...
http://www.gotoquiz.com...

In my mind, it's neutral until proven otherwise. I know where I stand, and I don't believe that I have to prove myself to you. :P Authoritarianism is a component of fascism, but the two terms are not synonymous.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2009 8:25:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/12/2009 8:21:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
In my mind, it's neutral until proven otherwise. I know where I stand, and I don't believe that I have to prove myself to you. :P Authoritarianism is a component of fascism, but the two terms are not synonymous.

He's right; instead, Cody is probably a totalitarian, which is generally synonymous with authoritarianism.

And through that, I can connect Cody to Hitler in at least one degree.