Jump to topic:

Are Moderates Preferable?

MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 1:25:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We all have our world views and we all think we know the best way to run the world, but we're just not sure how to get into a position to implement those views. Sometimes we back a radical candidate that promises rapid social change like Santorum, or sometimes we back a candidate that promises to change our foreign policy like Ron Paul. These two candidates are fringe politicians in the Republican Party, because their ideas go against what most people think.

Now the question here is if we should continue backing our respective radicals in order to change things, or if we should back the moderates, e.g, the John McCains and Bill Clintons of politics. Is it preferable to have moderates in office that are willing to compromise their believes to ensure that things run smoothly, or should we elect radicals that refuse to budge on their respective issues?
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 1:28:58 PM
At 8/25/2012 1:25:14 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
We all have our world views and we all think we know the best way to run the world, but we're just not sure how to get into a position to implement those views. Sometimes we back a radical candidate that promises rapid social change like Santorum, or sometimes we back a candidate that promises to change our foreign policy like Ron Paul. These two candidates are fringe politicians in the Republican Party, because their ideas go against what most people think.

Now the question here is if we should continue backing our respective radicals in order to change things, or if we should back the moderates, e.g, the John McCains and Bill Clintons of politics. Is it preferable to have moderates in office that are willing to compromise their believes to ensure that things run smoothly, or should we elect radicals that refuse to budge on their respective issues?

This is sort of a cop out answer, but it depends on the principle in question. I'd say that we should back people who are radically in favor of the Bill of Rights, for example, but otherwise approve of moderation insofar as that's defined as a willingness to work with others if necessary.
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 1:30:20 PM
So basically, are you asking to choose between Realpolitik and ideological politics?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 1:31:18 PM
At 8/25/2012 1:30:20 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
So basically, are you asking to choose between Realpolitik and ideological politics?

Basically, yes.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 1:33:02 PM
Well, I'd prefer ideological politics.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 1:42:46 PM
At 8/25/2012 1:35:13 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 8/25/2012 1:33:02 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Well, I'd prefer ideological politics.

Care to say why?

I dunno, to be frank: it just seems more in line with the spirit of a republic/representative democracy.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 3:31:56 PM
What we need are politicians without ideologies.
But that seldom happens with politically interested people, let alone politicians.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 6:47:03 PM
Isn't this more of a question between consensus and adversary politics?

Consensus politics is preferable because:

It gauges better the views of the current political culture
We get what the majority want a bit, rather than a minority want a lot
Political change is steady and conserving old laws for longer and thus more checking and balancing, rather than radical and erratic, so the balances can't take good effect.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 6:56:16 PM
At 8/25/2012 5:40:37 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I think moderates are great when the public is happy. Not so great when the puplic is pissed.

^^^

the thing about being moderate though is that it makes it easier to connect with politicians from more than 1 party and it also allows you to keep an open mind regarding issues more than you would have if you were completely liberal or completely conservative

Personally, being a moderate allows you to prioritize which issues concern you the most rather than fall in with the rest of a political party on what they feel are the biggest issues.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2012 2:25:09 AM
Get your extremist rant for the moderate ideology OUTTA here. You are being IMMODERATE in your moderation. I, on the other hand, am fully willing to compromise my moderation!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's so compromised, it ain't even there! :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.