Jump to topic:

Todd Akin and 'Legitimate Rape'

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:06:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As most of you know, Republican Senator hopeful Todd Akin recently went on record to insist that women's bodies "shut down" in cases of "legitimate rape." While he has mostly garnered negative backlash, several pro-life advocates have stepped up to show their support. I compiled the most disturbing and ignorant of these quotes here (http://juggle-blog.juggle-content.com...).

But I'm curious how many others out there believe this myth of rape and infertility. Do you? Moreover, do you think abortion be wrong in any and all cases? Or should it be up to women to decide what to do with their bodies?
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:27:03 PM
At 8/28/2012 2:06:53 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
As most of you know, Republican Senator hopeful Todd Akin recently went on record to insist that women's bodies "shut down" in cases of "legitimate rape." While he has mostly garnered negative backlash, several pro-life advocates have stepped up to show their support. I compiled the most disturbing and ignorant of these quotes here (http://juggle-blog.juggle-content.com...).

But I'm curious how many others out there believe this myth of rape and infertility. Do you? Moreover, do you think abortion be wrong in any and all cases?

Unless it is impossible for both the woman and the child to survive, I believe abortion to be wrong.

Or should it be up to women to decide what to do with their bodies?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:47:36 PM
If you believe that the fetus is a human then no matter the method of conception, you should advocate for no abortion. Rape doesn't override the right to life.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:51:44 PM
He apparently has also recently stated that breast milk "cures homosexuality." LOL!

This guy is too much. Ten bucks he works for The Onion, cuz who could truly believe such outlandish things? But I digress, as we all know a f Todd Akin's in our lives.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:53:41 PM
At 8/28/2012 2:47:36 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
If you believe that the fetus is a human then no matter the method of conception, you should advocate for no abortion. Rape doesn't override the right to life.

What about the life of the mother?
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 2:55:54 PM
At 8/28/2012 2:06:53 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:

But I'm curious how many others out there believe this myth of rape and infertility. Do you? Moreover, do you think abortion be wrong in any and all cases? Or should it be up to women to decide what to do with their bodies?

Other than callous or insensitive, I don't see what the big deal is. I guess he shouldn't have used the word legitimate but is that to say that there aren't any illegitimate rapes? That people don't get falsely accused of rape? This is nonsense, of course they do.

One must also ask: what percentage of rape victims end up pregnant? The figures vary from less than 1% to 5%; so let's say 2.95%. Which the same as the percent of "false accusations of rape" which is about 3%.

The point is that pregnancy resulting from rape is BY FAR the exception and not the rule. Also, if abortion were to be banned EXCEPT for cases of rape then the rate of false accusations of rape would indeed skyrocket.

Morally, abortion is wrong in ALL cases. This is the ONLY truly consistent view.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 3:07:58 PM
I am for any kind of abortion that is not late term abortion
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 3:08:07 PM
Well as far as I know, humans have human fetuses, rats have rat fetuses, apes have ape fetuses, etc.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 3:13:37 PM
Personally I don't care if you get an abortion or not. I'm already born, I made it! Not but seriously, I think the issue should be up to the parents.
#BlackLivesMatter
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 3:16:38 PM
There should be a national convention where all the women (and women only) go to decide once and for all what they feel is right about abortion. Hell its a woman's issue, and women fix everything way better then a dude can, let them sort it out and give their opinion.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 3:44:34 PM
At 8/28/2012 2:53:41 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:

What about the life of the mother?

You weren't discussing the life of the mother; you were discussing whether abortion is permissible with rape conception.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:10:53 PM
I've discussed in a previous thread why it is quite logical and possible that a women could not get pregnant, or at least have difficulty having a child from legitimate rape. Some monkeys are able to spontaneously abort their child when an alpha male comes in. So its a plausible evolutionary mechanism that women could have a mechanism to not have a child when raped.
Open borders debate:
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:14:05 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:10:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I've discussed in a previous thread why it is quite logical and possible that a women could not get pregnant, or at least have difficulty having a child from legitimate rape. Some monkeys are able to spontaneously abort their child when an alpha male comes in. So its a plausible evolutionary mechanism that women could have a mechanism to not have a child when raped.

Possible or probable?
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:15:39 PM

Which stands up better, the plausibility of the idea which has not been scientifically verified and cannot be scientifically verified due to "legitimate" being arbitrary, or the testimony of thousands of women?

It's laughable.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:16:03 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:14:05 PM, NixonianVolkswagen wrote:

Possible or probable?

I don't want to say probable, because there haven't really been any good studies confirming it. However, I wouldn't say possible, as in a very unlikely occurance but still possible. It's more like 50/50 to me.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:17:33 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:15:39 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Which stands up better, the plausibility of the idea which has not been scientifically verified and cannot be scientifically verified due to "legitimate" being arbitrary, or the testimony of thousands of women?

It's laughable.

Didn't realize the testimony of thousands of women was considered scientific. Aliens sightings have thousands of testimony.

To be fair, I don't think its impossible for a women to get pregnant from illeglitame rape, just less likely to occur.
Open borders debate:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:18:49 PM

And I refuted it without a response from you. Not only is it empirically false, but the stress that you discussed only triggers problems in reproductive capacity in later cycles. It does not interfere with her reproductive capacities at the time of the rape.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:19:37 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:17:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:

It's laughable.

Didn't realize the testimony of thousands of women was considered scientific. Aliens sightings have thousands of testimony.

To be fair, I don't think its impossible for a women to get pregnant from illeglitame rape, just less likely to occur.

LOL, didn't you find a study that explicitly said it was more likely to occur and post it in the other thread. Haha, you are so dishonest.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:20:23 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:18:49 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

And I refuted it without a response from you. Not only is it empirically false, but the stress that you discussed only triggers problems in reproductive capacity in later cycles. It does not interfere with her reproductive capacities at the time of the rape.

Its empirically conflicted, which is why I use the word possible, not highly likely.
Open borders debate:
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:21:18 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:17:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:

It's laughable.

Alien sightings.

Rape.

Alien sightings.

Rape.

Alien sightings.

Rape.

Okeydokey.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:23:03 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:20:23 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 8/28/2012 4:18:49 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Its empirically conflicted, which is why I use the word possible, not highly likely.

It's not empirically conflicted. All of the data from objective, non fundamentalist sources point one way. The reason that a lot of the pregnancies do not come to light is that part of the standard treatment for rapes is a dose of morning-after-style contraceptives.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:23:50 PM

Some monkeys =/= humans, DK.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:24:11 PM
50% of women will admit to sexually fantasies about being raped. So yea, its possible that some women actually enjoy being rape. However, there's obvious incentives for the women not to publicly disclose this information.
Open borders debate:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:25:25 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:24:11 PM, darkkermit wrote:
50% of women will admit to sexually fantasies about being raped. So yea, its possible that some women actually enjoy being rape. However, there's obvious incentives for the women not to publicly disclose this information.

Who cares? How does this in any way justify rape? Rape is not wrong because of its consequences; rape is wrong because it is an immoral action in itself. LOL, I might have a fantasy about being murdered (yes, I have thought about this in the past) but that doesn't make it ok to murder me.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:29:29 PM
At 8/28/2012 4:25:25 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Who cares? How does this in any way justify rape?

It doesn't justify it. I'm just stating there are incentives for women to state they didn't like being raped.

Rape is not wrong because of its consequences; rape is wrong because it is an immoral action in itself. LOL, I might have a fantasy about being murdered (yes, I have thought about this in the past) but that doesn't make it ok to murder me.

Never said anything about justifying rape. Just saying that its possible that women who are raped, enjoy the process, and then get pregnant.
Open borders debate:
chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 4:31:08 PM

I just threw up in my mouth. People sicken me. I knew I would regret this thread.