Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Mitt's Kryptonite (not Ryan, rape or robot)?

NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 3:53:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Published in Time magazine, 03/09/2012 edition, Joe Klein wrote:

"Where I come from", Paul Ryan told a New Hampshire townhall meeting audience the week before the National Republican Convention, "overseas... means Lake Superior." It was a joke, and a self-deprecating one at that, a quality always to be welcomed in politicians.

Ryan was talking about a substantial issue: Canada lowered its corporate tax rate to 15%. But still, there were unfortunate echoes of Sarah Palin's citation of Alaska's proximity to Russia as a foreign policy credential. And it brought attention to a curious fact about the 2012 Republican ticket: Ryan and Mitt Romney have the least foreign policy and national security experience of any ticket, for either party, in the 10 presidential campaigns I've covered. (As Michael Cohen pointed out in Foreign Policy, they have the least overseas experience of any ticket since Thomas Dewey and Earl Warren in 1948.)

---

As someone who thinks that Obama has become pretty decent at realpolitikal foreign policy, his errors being exaggerations (eg: the weightless, "Bowing to Muslims" [rather than tearing them to pieces with his bare hands, you lack of stamping on their still bleeding heart liberal]), or else acclimatizations (due to his own initial learning curve), I was genuinely perturbed by the observation that, unsubstantiated partisan assumptions aside, Romney & Ryan are relatively credential-less vis-a-vis foreign affairs.

I'm open to the notion that they'll surround themselves with relevant experts, and that there's more to administrations than their ultimate authority, etc. But it strikes me that, given the Republican ticket is asking for more than the usual measure of presumptive trust in their capability, we should at-least be having a conversation about this (and hopefully will, come the debates).

What does everybody think?
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 5:28:39 PM
I dont think people will even notice that neither of them have an ample amount of foreign policy experience. People are way more concerned about the economy, gas prices, healthcare, and the economy again over foreign policy..... it will certainly be a good talking point Obama can use against Mitt, but it surely will not be the end of him
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 2:43:59 AM
At 8/28/2012 5:28:39 PM, imabench wrote:
I dont think people will even notice that neither of them have an ample amount of foreign policy experience. People are way more concerned about the economy, gas prices, healthcare, and the economy again over foreign policy..... it will certainly be a good talking point Obama can use against Mitt, but it surely will not be the end of him

Hm, yeah, an interesting way to put it. Maybe all it'll do is give Obama an extra edge with respect to the President-versus-Nominee debates? Which would be something, but given that this was already somewhat true, may not cripple the Romney campaign.

I would like to see it discussed though, if only so that post-neocon. Republican foreign policy has some definition.
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
TheWaywardSon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 1:58:44 PM
I agree. I think that Foreign Policy is always a relevant issue seeing on how we as a nation depend on other countries, and it seems to definitely be a high point for Obama. Hell, I was just in Japan for a few months and I met more Obama supporters than I know here. He seems to have an incredible reputation abroad where as Romney is just weak in that respect.
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 2:05:24 PM
At 8/29/2012 1:58:44 PM, TheWaywardSon wrote:
I agree. I think that Foreign Policy is always a relevant issue seeing on how we as a nation depend on other countries, and it seems to definitely be a high point for Obama. Hell, I was just in Japan for a few months and I met more Obama supporters than I know here. He seems to have an incredible reputation abroad where as Romney is just weak in that respect.

A parent couple, from where I work, is going to America for a month to work as voluenters for Obama during the election and a friend of mine from my college time is going to do the same.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 2:56:22 PM
At 8/29/2012 1:58:44 PM, TheWaywardSon wrote:

Heres the thing about that, Japanese opinion towards Obama is way up from where it was when he was first elected because of how much assistance Japan got from American troops following their earthquake/tsunami.

Just playing his cards right gets Obama popularity overseas...

http://www.politico.com...
http://www.nytimes.com...
http://www.pewglobal.org...
^ that one is cool, far right hand side top corner
http://www.pewglobal.org...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 7:49:37 PM
Mitt's views on the social front would leave him dead in a debate.
Namely: Abortion, medical cannabis + cannabis legalization, marriage equality, green jobs, gun rights, religion in the public square, war on poverty.

Foreign policy is a big one, too.
turn down for h'what
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 7:59:47 PM
At 8/29/2012 7:49:37 PM, Aaronroy wrote:
Namely: Abortion, medical cannabis + cannabis legalization, marriage equality, green jobs, gun rights, religion in the public square, war on poverty.

Spot on. Though, 1) they both oppose cannabis legalization, 2) gun rights are very popular in the Midwest, and in rural America, 3) green jobs, though a potential gain for Obama, the "crony Capitalism" and Solyndra errors are easy areas for Romney, 4) neither candidate barely pays attention to the separation of church and state.

Obama is more likable, which is also a big plus for him. Marriage equality, what does that mean? Does it "legalize" same sex marriage, or does it force all churches and religious institutions to perform them, or what?

Obama will do well here, though he was hawkish in many areas. Though, Romney could pull the same crap about how Obama apologized for America, which was not what really happened.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 10:19:15 PM
At 8/29/2012 7:59:47 PM, Contra wrote:
At 8/29/2012 7:49:37 PM, Aaronroy wrote:

Spot on. Though, 1) they both oppose cannabis legalization, 2) gun rights are very popular in the Midwest, and in rural America, 3) green jobs, though a potential gain for Obama, the "crony Capitalism" and Solyndra errors are easy areas for Romney, 4) neither candidate barely pays attention to the separation of church and state.

Romney believes that America is only interested in 'people of faith' to be President, so I believe he is following the nonsecular path on this one.

Obama currently opposes marijuana legalization, but he very much more leans towards it than Romney. Romney is against all forms of legalization, may it be medical or recreational.
Obama is more likable, which is also a big plus for him. Marriage equality, what does that mean? Does it "legalize" same sex marriage, or does it force all churches and religious institutions to perform them, or what?

Obama will do well here, though he was hawkish in many areas. Though, Romney could pull the same crap about how Obama apologized for America, which was not what really happened.
turn down for h'what