Jump to topic:

Is America still the Greatest Country?

TheWaywardSon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 10:48:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hi everyone. I'm new to Debate. Org so excuse me if this is in the wrong place or if this exact subject has been debated before (Not too good at using the search engine here). Basically this is for my fellow Americans who think that America is the best.
I personally, am not so sure if we are anymore.
I would like to know your opinion on why America is CURRENTLY the greatest country on earth. Most debates I have seen will give answers such as we are a nation built on equality and justice and will list everything we have done in history years and years ago.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 10:50:19 PM
Greatest by what standard?

Economical? No.

Social? Nope- they're dominated by Christian fascists.

Legal? No- War on Drugs, regulations, etc...

Political? Not bad but definitely not the best.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 10:54:58 PM
Every country has it's problems. We're divided, but not nearly as badly as much of Europe currently is. As a society we value liberty and freedom, or at least most of us do, even if some people don't know the best way to achieve it.

Militarily we are murdering backstabbing freedom killing hope crushing imperialists... HYPERBOLE FVCK YEAH
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 10:58:47 PM
At 8/28/2012 10:50:19 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Economical? No.

By what standard?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 11:13:33 PM
At 8/28/2012 10:48:40 PM, TheWaywardSon wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm new to Debate. Org so excuse me if this is in the wrong place or if this exact subject has been debated before (Not too good at using the search engine here). Basically this is for my fellow Americans who think that America is the best.
I personally, am not so sure if we are anymore.
I would like to know your opinion on why America is CURRENTLY the greatest country on earth. Most debates I have seen will give answers such as we are a nation built on equality and justice and will list everything we have done in history years and years ago.

As Lordknuckle said, it entirely depends on what you are measuring and what kind of ruler you are using.

Also, welcome to DDO.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 11:18:40 PM
At 8/28/2012 11:16:18 PM, TheWaywardSon wrote:
All standards. Say you were completely unbiased to any one country and had to pick one to live in

Then that would be by our personal standards.

It is hard to say. I have more experience with the US and so a better understanding of it. There are a few that I believe I'd rather live in, however it is hard to say if my opinion of the nations are completely accurate.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 11:27:38 PM
At 8/28/2012 10:54:58 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Militarily we are murdering backstabbing freedom killing hope crushing imperialists... HYPERBOLE FVCK YEAH

Hyperbole, maybe, but all objectively correct. Since around the end of WW2, the U.S. has aggressively supported and committed terrorism of all sorts in its effort to beat the Soviets during the Cold War and pursue global hegemony. The U.S. is a leading terrorist state. If the Nuremberg laws (laws used to try Nazis post WW2) were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged for their war crimes, no question.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 11:31:38 PM

Religion has it's good and it's bad. If America were dominated by reasonable, tolerant Christians, I wouldn't mind at all.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 11:39:49 PM
At 8/28/2012 11:31:38 PM, phantom wrote:

Religion has it's good and it's bad. If America were dominated by reasonable, tolerant Christians, I wouldn't mind at all.

But unfortunately it's dominated by Christians who think questioning their right to impress their beliefs onto society via legislation is religious discrimination, while they openly trash and disparage atheism/secularism and would immediately file a lawsuit if any atheist acted 1/100 as disrespectful and intolerant as they do. These kinds are way more inclined towards power than reasonable, tolerant Christians who don't want to force you their opinions upon every American.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 11:43:55 PM
At 8/28/2012 11:39:49 PM, jat93 wrote:

But unfortunately it's dominated by Christians who think questioning their right to impress their beliefs onto society via legislation is religious discrimination, while they openly trash and disparage atheism/secularism and would immediately file a lawsuit if any atheist acted 1/100 as disrespectful and intolerant as they do. These kinds are way more inclined towards power than reasonable, tolerant Christians who don't want to force you their opinions upon every American.

I hate those Christians too, but I don't think they are in the majority.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 11:44:07 PM
the answer to the question is completely subjective.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
TheWaywardSon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 11:46:27 PM
At 8/28/2012 11:39:49 PM, jat93 wrote:

Sounds like you've seen Fox news haha. I don't know if I would say that about the entire Republican Party, but a lot of them tend to behave that way unfortunately.
TheWaywardSon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 11:48:18 PM
At 8/28/2012 11:44:07 PM, DanT wrote:
the answer to the question is completely subjective.

I realize that, it's meant to be open ended.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2012 11:49:33 PM
"It's NOT the greatest country in the world, Professor. That's my answer...

The NEA is a loser. Yeah, it accounts for a penny out of our paycheck, but he gets to hit you with it anytime he wants. It doesn't cost money. It costs votes. It costs airtime. And column inches. You know why people don't like liberals? Because they lose. If liberals are so fvcking smart, then how come they lose so goddamn always?

And with a straight face, you're gonna sit there and tell students that America is so star-spangled awesome that we're the only ones in the world who have freedom? Canada has freedom. Japan has freedom. The U.K. France. Italy. Germany. Spain. Australia. BELGIUM has freedom. Two hundred and seven sovereign states in the world, and like, a hundred and eighty of them have freedom.

And you, Sorority Girl, just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there's some things you should know. One of them is there's absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we're the greatest country in the world. We're seventh in literacy. Twenty-seventh in math. Twenty-second in science. Forty-ninth in life expectancy. A hundred and seventy-eighth in infant mortality. Third in median household income. Number four in labor force and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending, where we spend more than the next twenty-six countries combined, twenty-five of whom are allies.

Now none of this is the fault of a twenty-year-old college student, but you nonetheless are without a doubt a member of the worst, period, generation, period, ever, period. So when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I dunno what the fvck you're talking about. Yosemite?" -- The Newsroom (TV show)
President of DDO
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:01:10 AM
At 8/28/2012 11:49:33 PM, Danielle wrote:
"It's NOT the greatest country in the world, Professor. That's my answer...

The NEA is a loser. Yeah, it accounts for a penny out of our paycheck, but he gets to hit you with it anytime he wants. It doesn't cost money. It costs votes. It costs airtime. And column inches. You know why people don't like liberals? Because they lose. If liberals are so fvcking smart, then how come they lose so goddamn always?

And with a straight face, you're gonna sit there and tell students that America is so star-spangled awesome that we're the only ones in the world who have freedom? Canada has freedom. Japan has freedom. The U.K. France. Italy. Germany. Spain. Australia. BELGIUM has freedom. Two hundred and seven sovereign states in the world, and like, a hundred and eighty of them have freedom.

And you, Sorority Girl, just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there's some things you should know. One of them is there's absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we're the greatest country in the world. We're seventh in literacy. Twenty-seventh in math. Twenty-second in science. Forty-ninth in life expectancy. A hundred and seventy-eighth in infant mortality. Third in median household income. Number four in labor force and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending, where we spend more than the next twenty-six countries combined, twenty-five of whom are allies.

Now none of this is the fault of a twenty-year-old college student, but you nonetheless are without a doubt a member of the worst, period, generation, period, ever, period. So when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I dunno what the fvck you're talking about. Yosemite?" -- The Newsroom (TV show)

I remember seeing this when it was aired on TV. It was fvcking epic.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
adontimasu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:06:38 AM
Mate, how so? Are you referring to stuff like Gay Marriage? You are aware most people in this country support gay marriage, right? Abortion? Well, even non-Christians are split on this issue. Contraception? That's hardly even a conversation. To what do you refer?
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:16:33 AM
At 8/29/2012 12:06:38 AM, adontimasu wrote:
Mate, how so? Are you referring to stuff like Gay Marriage? You are aware most people in this country support gay marriage, right? Abortion? Well, even non-Christians are split on this issue. Contraception? That's hardly even a conversation. To what do you refer?

Yep.

Although I will say that the Christian Fascists are much more vocal. However being the loudest does not mean you are greater in number.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 12:34:44 AM
At 8/29/2012 12:16:33 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 8/29/2012 12:06:38 AM, adontimasu wrote:

Yep.

Although I will say that the Christian Fascists are much more vocal. However being the loudest does not mean you are greater in number.

If anything theoretically being the loudest is a fair argument for you NOT being the biggest. The smaller you are the more you feel that you need to push and shove to make yourself noticeable.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...