Jump to topic:

Is this racist

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 4:49:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
this has absolutely nothing to do with the other conversation going on. Clay Aiken (the American Idol alumni) sent out a tweet that said

"Playing drinking game with my brother now. We drink every time we see a black person on screen at the RNC (Republican National Convention)

#sober-as-a-mormon"

I ask because John Rich took real offense to that and retaliated by saying

"CLAY! You should be ashamed for racist comments like THAT! WOW. I wonder how long it will be till @clayaiken takes that idiotic post down. Clay, you're better than that...I hope."

Right now I think John Rich is just being a dumba** but is what Clay said actually racist because I thought it was funny as hell

http://music.yahoo.com...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 4:52:47 PM
At 8/29/2012 4:49:57 PM, imabench wrote:
this has absolutely nothing to do with the other conversation going on. Clay Aiken (the American Idol alumni) sent out a tweet that said

"Playing drinking game with my brother now. We drink every time we see a black person on screen at the RNC (Republican National Convention)

#sober-as-a-mormon"

"CLAY! You should be ashamed for racist comments like THAT! WOW. I wonder how long it will be till @clayaiken takes that idiotic post down. Clay, you're better than that...I hope."

Right now I think John Rich is just being a dumba** but is what Clay said actually racist because I thought it was funny as hell

It's not racist.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 4:59:36 PM

#sober-as-a-mormon"

Right now I think John Rich is just being a dumba** but is what Clay said actually racist because I thought it was funny as hell:

Way less racist than Tosh.0 or The Family Guy, and no one seems to cry about that. His comment had less to do with poking fun of black people and everything about poking fun of Republicans.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:00:20 PM
It's only racist if you choose not to give him the benefit of the doubt. So, if you already think he's a jerk, you now have evidence he's a jerk.
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:01:22 PM
Yes it's racist. It's just not rude.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:02:26 PM
At 8/29/2012 4:59:36 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

#sober-as-a-mormon"

Right now I think John Rich is just being a dumba** but is what Clay said actually racist because I thought it was funny as hell:

Way less racist than Tosh.0 or The Family Guy, and no one seems to cry about that. His comment had less to do with poking fun of black people and everything about poking fun of Republicans.

To be fair Tosh.0 and Family Guy's racism are played for irony. As in, their racist jokes tend to point out the stupidity in racism while also having a laugh at everyone's expense.

think that the previously mentioned quote is a bit racist, and would be offensive to black Republicans, of which there are many.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:02:41 PM
I don't see how its racist? Black republicans are rare. Only about 1% of blacks are republicans so its interesting to see one.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:07:59 PM
In my view, its not racist but a horrible drinking game because you won't get drunk fast enough.

If you want to get drunk fast, you play the logic fallacy game during presidential debates. However, you'll in up in the ER within 5 minutes, so its a deadly game.

Another way to get drunk fast is to see when a politician is asked a question, and gives a response that has nothing to do with the question.
Open borders debate:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:08:13 PM
At 8/29/2012 5:02:26 PM, Frederick53 wrote:

#sober-as-a-mormon"

To be fair Tosh.0 and Family Guy's racism are played for irony. As in, their racist jokes tend to point out the stupidity in racism while also having a laugh at everyone's expense.

think that the previously mentioned quote is a bit racist, and would be offensive to black Republicans, of which there are many.

How is it racist to highlight the lack of African Americans in the Republican Party?
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:09:55 PM
At 8/29/2012 5:08:13 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/29/2012 5:02:26 PM, Frederick53 wrote:

#sober-as-a-mormon"

How is it racist to highlight the lack of African Americans in the Republican Party?

Ok, it's not racist, it's just offensive to those blacks who are Republican. I'm just trying to see it from their perspective.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:10:06 PM
At 8/29/2012 5:07:59 PM, darkkermit wrote:

If you want to get drunk fast, you play the logic fallacy game during presidential debates. However, you'll in up in the ER within 5 minutes, so its a deadly game.

^ very true

Another way to get drunk fast is to see when a politician is asked a question, and gives a response that has nothing to do with the question.

^ Challenge Accepted :D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:15:42 PM
I can see how it can be offensive, but im asking if its racist and im getting a whole lot of "no" from over here

Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:18:54 PM

#sober-as-a-mormon"

I don't think so, he was just commenting on how lilly white the party has become lately, and he's maing a good point. We are a diverse country now, and they are making it hard on themselves, a Romney / Rubio ticket would have been a shoe in, Condi said no, and with Ryan...who knows.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:36:52 PM
At 8/29/2012 5:10:06 PM, imabench wrote:
At 8/29/2012 5:07:59 PM, darkkermit wrote:

^ very true

: : Another way to get drunk fast is to see when a politician is asked a question, and gives a response that has nothing to do with the question.

^ Challenge Accepted :D

I'm sorry that my words above will cause your premature death.
Open borders debate:
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:42:22 PM

#sober-as-a-mormon"

It's totally racist. And racist and funny are not mutually exclusive as you have proven. He is clearly stereotyping blacks.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:44:51 PM

#sober-as-a-mormon"

The Family Guy, and no one seems to cry about that.

Why do you think there were canceled several times? People whining to fox, one time when a NY taxi driver goes to Peter's hometown to "the leaves turn brown, like the people I don't pick up in my cab."
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:48:11 PM
At 8/29/2012 5:44:51 PM, Wnope wrote:
Why do you think there were canceled several times? People whining to fox, one time when a NY taxi driver goes to Peter's hometown to "the leaves turn brown, like the people I don't pick up in my cab."
What I love is how racism is excused by liberals whenever it's perpetrated by liberals like Seth Mc Farlane, Bill Maher, etc. Even more so when it comes to Obama.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:49:50 PM
I fail to see how this is racist. He has made no normative statement whatsoever. Nothing he says even suggests whether or not there are plenty of black republicans.
yang.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 5:54:45 PM
At 8/29/2012 5:49:50 PM, tulle wrote:
I fail to see how this is racist. He has made no normative statement whatsoever. Nothing he says even suggests whether or not there are plenty of black republicans.

that's not even a a normative statement. And yes, there are few black republicans. You can find that out pretty easily with any demographic studies on voting patterns.

A normative statement requires a *should*.
Open borders debate:
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:03:21 PM
At 8/29/2012 5:54:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 8/29/2012 5:49:50 PM, tulle wrote:

that's not even a a normative statement. And yes, there are few black republicans. You can find that out pretty easily with any demographic studies on voting patterns.

A normative statement requires a *should*.

I'm not saying the bolded is a normative statement. But nothing he says even suggests that, nor would it be racist to point it out, where it is true or not. Even if he drank every time he saw a black person on TV, that really doesn't mean anything. He could choose any abitrary thing to drink to.
yang.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:03:32 PM

#sober-as-a-mormon"

The Family Guy, and no one seems to cry about that.

wnope, family guy was first introduced when who wants to be a millionaire was at its historic high and the show also had to compete against surviver and friends when both were in their prime. It didnt even have its own time slot which made viewing it hard to do and thats when it was canceled, only to be revived by interest in the show due to record DVD sales.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:05:37 PM
At 8/29/2012 5:42:22 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

#sober-as-a-mormon"

It's totally racist. And racist and funny are not mutually exclusive as you have proven. He is clearly stereotyping blacks.

clearly how? if anything the tweet is to poke fun about how white the republican convention was, i fail to see how its meant to be racist towards blacks.

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:31:33 PM

#sober-as-a-mormon"

It's not racist, it's race-related. Some people have a difficult time distinguishing the difference.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 6:51:17 PM
At 8/29/2012 5:48:11 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
What I love is how racism is excused by liberals whenever it's perpetrated by liberals like Seth Mc Farlane, Bill Maher, etc. Even more so when it comes to Obama.

Intent is a big part of how racism is viewed. There's a major difference in intent between telling a racist joke and being outright hateful.

Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 8:27:46 PM
Pointing out that there are no blacks at the RNC is equally as racist as pointing out that blacks are poor, which is why banks don't lend them money.

Those on the left will often cry racism that a poor man, who happens to be black, can't get a loan, but these same people, who often "don't see color", sure as hell notice and love to point out how white the GOP is.

If one is racist, then they both are. Personally, I don't find either to be racist, just a potentially offensive factual observation.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 8:40:13 PM
At 8/29/2012 8:27:46 PM, Chaos88 wrote:
Pointing out that there are no blacks at the RNC is equally as racist as pointing out that blacks are poor, which is why banks don't lend them money.

Those on the left will often cry racism that a poor man, who happens to be black, can't get a loan, but these same people, who often "don't see color", sure as hell notice and love to point out how white the GOP is.

If one is racist, then they both are. Personally, I don't find either to be racist, just a potentially offensive factual observation.

Um... no. First of all, he did not say there are no blacks at the RNC. Secondly, lending money shouldn't have to do with race; it has to do with risk.
yang.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 8:41:07 PM
At 8/29/2012 8:27:46 PM, Chaos88 wrote:

Based on what f*cked up logic???

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2012 9:42:20 PM
No, Clay Aiken's tweet is not racist. This is a pretty easy one.

Check out this video if you want to play another game of is it racist.