Jump to topic:

Fear of the United Nations

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 1:46:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't understand this deep fear that people have of the UN. I've seen multiple claims that a 'UN army' is going to invade the US and that the UN is going to form some sort of world wide dictatorship. All I can say is, get a grip. Just because cosmopolitanism (http://en.wikipedia.org...) is similar to collectivism and collectivism is a principle of communism and communism=evil does not mean that the UN is some big looming threat. In fact, most of the phobic reactions I've seen to the UN's existence have been fueled entirely by xenophobia rather than anti-communism. To some people the idea of an organization where the US is put on equal footing with the rest of the world and people talk out conflicts rather than fight them out is so offensive and scary that the organization MUST have some sinister agenda.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 2:36:12 PM
Honestly, I don't really understand this mindset. Sure the UN isn't particularly useful in preventing conflict but it's not something to be scared of. Also, xenophobia disgusts me and America is not superior. If anything, I'd say America is inferior with the way they treat minorities.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 2:38:25 PM
At 8/31/2012 2:36:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Honestly, I don't really understand this mindset. Sure the UN isn't particularly useful in preventing conflict but it's not something to be scared of. Also, xenophobia disgusts me and America is not superior. If anything, I'd say America is inferior with the way they treat minorities.

Yea, I mean look how bad americans treat the president :p.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 2:42:53 PM
At 8/31/2012 2:38:25 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Yea, I mean look how bad americans treat the president :p.

Well there was apparently a group plotting to kill him so that says something. Also, there's the whole birther movement too which would not exist if a white democrat was elected.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 2:43:55 PM
My issue with the UN is that it is a global union state. If the UN was a confederation, lacking any form of executive authority, than I would be all for it. There are times when a federation is best, and times when a confederation is best; this is one of those times when a federation is a mistake.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
TheWaywardSon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 2:46:45 PM

So true
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 2:53:11 PM
I can understand being against the UN for specific reasons while still seing some use in them (like what DanT said about his opinion regarding federations and confederations) but it seems to me that there is a very large correlation between people that fear the UN and low intelligence
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 2:59:58 PM
Yeah I completely understand why someone would dislike the UN for practical reasons, but I just don't get how people can get themselves so worked up as to consider it a threat because it encourages cooperation between nations. It's this ridiculous mindset that anything other than US dominance equates to US subservience.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:04:15 PM
At 8/31/2012 2:43:55 PM, DanT wrote:
My issue with the UN is that it is a global union state. If the UN was a confederation, lacking any form of executive authority, than I would be all for it. There are times when a federation is best, and times when a confederation is best; this is one of those times when a federation is a mistake.

For someone hung up on political diction, that's a pretty large blunder. Of course it has authority, in the same way all confederations have authority. It's power is all participatory, though: rules are made up by each nation, payments are chosen by each nation, etc.

Power: the ability to exercise will through coercion.
Authority: the ability to exercise will through one's non-coercive legitimacy.

For exmple, the Pope has little power but much authority. A terrorist may have much power but very little authority.

The UN has authority due to it's legal-rational legitimacy. It does not have any coercive power, because it simply cannot coerce. It acts as a servant to participants in the system, not independently. It is a puppet to our strings. As such, being upset at what it does means you can leave (like many did in the League of Nations). But seeing as leaving is not saying "I vehemently oppose the independent body of the UN" but is saying "I vehemently oppose those who passed legislation that I do not like".
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:10:47 PM
At 8/31/2012 2:53:11 PM, imabench wrote:
I can understand being against the UN for specific reasons while still seing some use in them (like what DanT said about his opinion regarding federations and confederations) but it seems to me that there is a very large correlation between people that fear the UN and low intelligence

The problem is a severe lack of understanding of how the UN works. It's not an independent army force that can defeat anyone. It's a tiny little thing which tries to bring peace in Africa and occasionally create binational negotiation and trust. The Security Council is actually a really small division in comparison to the major areas like the Secratariat and Economic and Social council (which itself is made up of mostly pen-pushers) and the army itself (which is still quite small). Most of the UN is just small time work. All big work is done from the big nations themselves.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:11:03 PM
False. They are going to kill the gingers.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:11:56 PM
At 8/31/2012 3:11:03 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
False. They are going to kill the gingers.

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:17:49 PM
I kind of just realized that my confusion was stupid in this situation. It's obvious what all this fear is about. The UN is becoming a popular new strawman for xenophobic isolationists. It's a something that they can hoist up and say, "I told you it would happen! All of the dirty foreign countries on earth have formed one massive army to take over the world! Now you'll regret accepting their cultures!"

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:23:14 PM
At 8/31/2012 1:46:51 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
I don't understand this deep fear that people have of the UN. I've seen multiple claims that a 'UN army' is going to invade the US and that the UN is going to form some sort of world wide dictatorship. All I can say is, get a grip. Just because cosmopolitanism (http://en.wikipedia.org...) is similar to collectivism and collectivism is a principle of communism and communism=evil does not mean that the UN is some big looming threat. In fact, most of the phobic reactions I've seen to the UN's existence have been fueled entirely by xenophobia rather than anti-communism. To some people the idea of an organization where the US is put on equal footing with the rest of the world and people talk out conflicts rather than fight them out is so offensive and scary that the organization MUST have some sinister agenda.

There is a weird cross pollination of conspiracy theory with some of the just crazy stupid UN stuff that has created this cult of extreme displeasure.

The conspiracy theory is the Trilateral Commission and the concept that there is this global group that is conspiring to control the entire world and enslave the US along with the rest of the world. The extreme distaste comes from the idea that we are stopped or bound from taking action when our UN arch-nemesis China and Russia vote against a UN resolution, like the current Syria civil war.

There is much to dislike to the UN (I imagine there is glaring irony if one looked up the current members of the UN council of human rights. There always is), but the idea that the US never has an opportunity to further join to a new union is rooted in fear and xenophobia. Ironically, it is exactly what the states did that made us the most powerful nation for the last 100 years.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:27:25 PM

That maybe true in one sense, but in others we are very successful. We have the most integrated business community in the world. Go to any IT department in a fortune 500 company or the admissions office of a college and tell me we are inferior with the way we treat minorities.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:30:29 PM
At 8/31/2012 3:27:25 PM, slo1 wrote:

That maybe true in one sense, but in others we are very successful. We have the most integrated business community in the world. Go to any IT department in a fortune 500 company or the admissions office of a college and tell me we are inferior with the way we treat minorities.

I'd like to just point out that the UN is incredibly successful at stopping violence, moreso than any other nation. Look at their missions in Cyprus, or more generally in all the civil wars in Africa. Their aid was instrumental in promoting freedom and liberal parliamentary values and stopping general death of civilians.

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:30:43 PM

You're right in a sense, because it's the way that we treat minorities in OTHER countries that is really despicable. Our society is fairly civilized in comparison to some places where extremely violent ethnic feuds divide the population.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:31:02 PM
At 8/31/2012 3:30:29 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

I'd like to just point out that the UN is incredibly successful at stopping violence, moreso than any other nation. Look at their missions in Cyprus, or more generally in all the civil wars in Africa. Their aid was instrumental in promoting freedom and liberal parliamentary values and stopping general death of civilians.

Rwanda says hi.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:32:12 PM
At 8/31/2012 3:31:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Rwanda says hi.

To be fair that was almost entirely France's fault. They supported the genocidal government right up until the end.

OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:39:18 PM

Combating global diseases. Just think on small pox.
And in general being a good forum for solving different issues. I think UN is the greatest organisation for peace in the world.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 3:41:05 PM
At 8/31/2012 3:39:18 PM, OllerupMand wrote:

And in general being a good forum for solving different issues. I think UN is the greatest organisation for peace in the world.

well duh, what else is there?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 4:25:56 PM
At 8/31/2012 3:41:05 PM, imabench wrote:

well duh, what else is there?

What do you mean? There is a lot of organisations out there trying to promote peace and solving problems. Artic Council, European Council etc.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 4:47:34 PM

Peace? C'mon, like there's any less violence in the world since the creation of the UN. Little soldiers in blue helmets haven't ever been more than spectators.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 5:57:03 PM
At 8/31/2012 4:47:34 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Peace? C'mon, like there's any less violence in the world since the creation of the UN. Little soldiers in blue helmets haven't ever been more than spectators.

World wars before UN. No world wars after.

Of course other organisations, like the EU and European council, also have their share of the honour, but the fact that there have been peace betwen all major European nations for 70 years is unprecedented.

It is the fact that you have a common forum to talk about problems before you go to war that makes the UN effective.

There are common laws for international behavior that most countries chose to follow and it have made it easy for a neutral third party to arbitate betwen contending parties.

It is easy to remember all the times the UN fail to bring peace, but we never hear when they succede, because then there is nothing to hear.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:02:10 PM
At 8/31/2012 5:57:03 PM, OllerupMand wrote:

Of course other organisations, like the EU and European council, also have their share of the honour, but the fact that there have been peace betwen all major European nations for 70 years is unprecedented.

It is the fact that you have a common forum to talk about problems before you go to war that makes the UN effective.

There are common laws for international behavior that most countries chose to follow and it have made it easy for a neutral third party to arbitate betwen contending parties.

It is easy to remember all the times the UN fail to bring peace, but we never hear when they succede, because then there is nothing to hear.

Brilliant, the nuclear bomb is the reason there hasn't been a world war, not the UN.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2012 6:08:53 PM
At 8/31/2012 6:02:10 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 8/31/2012 5:57:03 PM, OllerupMand wrote:

Brilliant, the nuclear bomb is the reason there hasn't been a world war, not the UN.

No.

Did you see what I just did there ;)