The Fair Pay Act

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 8:41:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What do you think of that?

I think it sounds kind of awesome. I don't know much about it, but what I know about it makes it sound groundbreaking.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 8:46:26 PM
At 9/4/2012 8:42:36 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
http://www.labor.ny.gov...

Are your referring to this?

I think he means the Lily-ledbetter fair pay act. That was some powerful speech she delivered....at a much higher caliber than the RNC speeches (with Marco Rubio as the only exception).
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 8:53:31 PM
At 9/4/2012 8:46:26 PM, 000ike wrote:

I think he means the Lily-ledbetter fair pay act. That was some powerful speech she delivered....at a much higher caliber than the RNC speeches (with Marco Rubio as the only exception).

Oh, I miss read as fair play.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 8:55:25 PM
At 9/4/2012 8:47:47 PM, Ren wrote:

http://www.pay-equity.org...

I'm not sure what the point of this is. We already have laws against those things. Enforce the existing laws, if anything.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 9:21:41 PM
Oh, yes. We need laws that don't enforce the status quo. Oh wait....
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 9:29:23 PM
At 9/4/2012 9:21:41 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

What point are you trying to make here? Women do get paid less than men
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 10:41:01 PM
At 9/4/2012 9:29:23 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/4/2012 9:21:41 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

What point are you trying to make here? Women do get paid less than men

Not for the same job. For the same job, it's 98%, which is within the margin of error. However, women do on average choose less paying jobs and hence why they make $ .70 to $1 that men make in the ENTIRE labor market.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2012 11:33:50 PM
At 9/4/2012 9:29:23 PM, 000ike wrote:
Women do get paid less than men

Do they, really?

I am 29 and have had over 40 different jobs, I have never come across a woman who was paid less than a man for equal work. Have you?

Show me a study where they take the following factors into consideration when comparing salaries:
education
time in current field
time at current company
time at current job
job history
amount of hours worked
amount of hours expected to work
duties performed
duties expected
productivity
outside factors (like kids and vacation time)
job performance
availability
size of company worked at
profitability of company
time of hire within company history
cost of living in the area
amount of business (at a chain, like McDonald's, should the manager of a store that grosses $1 million/year be paid the same as a manager whose store grosses $400K/year?)
desire to climb the corporate ladder (men are more aggressive and less family-oriented)

By ignoring these large factors, it is easy to cry discrimination.

Why does a manager who has ten years of experience get paid more than the one fresh out of college?
Is it discrimination that a woman is passed for a promotion because she is a single mom and can't work past 5pm?

In fact, women, in my experience, are often tipped more (drivers, servers, bartenders), thus make more in these occupations. This is discrimination, too, by the customers who would rather be waited on by a cute girl than a husky male. However, this is rarely discussed for some reason...

Oh, wait, the reason is because people accept the fact that people like being waited on by women, but not the fact that a woman's circumstance may be different than a man's, and the only possible reason for different treatment (i.e. salary) must be sexism.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 9:35:15 AM
I agree.....lower the standards yet again and pay everyone exactly the same. Better yet, no one gets paid and Uncle Sam takes care of us all.