Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Hackers claim to have Romney's Tax Returns

imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 4:37:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://mashable.com...

A group of hackers claim to have gotten a hold of Romney's tax returns and are using it for ransom.

My bet is that they are just bluffing, but how cool would it be if they actually did?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 4:43:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Assuming they did, should we believe they didn't doctor them?
Also, should the press release them or politicians use them, knowing they were illegally obtained?
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:04:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 4:43:12 PM, Chaos88 wrote:
Assuming they did, should we believe they didn't doctor them?

That would be an issue.

Also, should the press release them or politicians use them, knowing they were illegally obtained?

I doubt that would stop them
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:11:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:09:56 PM, yoda878 wrote:
Is there a law ageist this could they be prosecuted? Or is it like property tax and is a public record?

I would think they could get into fraud problems, because of SS#?
Me
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:15:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:04:18 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/5/2012 4:43:12 PM, Chaos88 wrote:
Assuming they did, should we believe they didn't doctor them?

That would be an issue.

Also, should the press release them or politicians use them, knowing they were illegally obtained?

I doubt that would stop them

Oh, I'm sure it wouldn't, especially those that are opposed to the GOP and/or Romney. But my question was "should" they.

If you and I are opposing candidates, and I tell a lie in a campaign speech (not court of law) that you can only prove by using knowingly ill-gotten knowledge, should you use it to trap me? Pragmatically, does this hurt your character in doing so? Ethically, is it wrong, assuming you had nothing to do with the crime (except running against me)?
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:16:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is this like when Donald Trump and his guys in Hawaii totes had evidence pertaining to Obama's not being born in the U.S.? Am I the only one who sees the Romney tax return "issue" as strikingly similar to the Obama birth certificate "issue"?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:21:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:11:22 PM, yoda878 wrote:
At 9/5/2012 5:09:56 PM, yoda878 wrote:
Is there a law ageist this could they be prosecuted? Or is it like property tax and is a public record?

Tax returns are confidential, even property tax returns. The tax on my property is public, but not the amount I actually pay/will pay.

I would think they could get into fraud problems, because of SS#?

It is not fraud unless they try to use those SS#'s. Stealing a credit card is theft, using that card (by pretending to be that person) is fraud. And, yes, it is a crime to hack into someone's computer to harvest information (99% sure).

The other question is whose computer? The IRS (this is definately a crime), a bank's (also a crime), Romney's laptop, his accountant's?
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:24:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:16:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Is this like when Donald Trump and his guys in Hawaii totes had evidence pertaining to Obama's not being born in the U.S.? Am I the only one who sees the Romney tax return "issue" as strikingly similar to the Obama birth certificate "issue"?

I see it more as Obama trying desperately to find something bad on the guy.

http://townhall.com...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:24:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:16:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Is this like when Donald Trump and his guys in Hawaii totes had evidence pertaining to Obama's not being born in the U.S.? Am I the only one who sees the Romney tax return "issue" as strikingly similar to the Obama birth certificate "issue"?

thats why I doubt they have it, im only saying it would be cool if they did have it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:26:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:16:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Is this like when Donald Trump and his guys in Hawaii totes had evidence pertaining to Obama's not being born in the U.S.? Am I the only one who sees the Romney tax return "issue" as strikingly similar to the Obama birth certificate "issue"?

One concerns the candidates personal legitimacy for the presidency (a striking allegation), the other concerns merely dishonorable behavior. One is born out of idiotic and often times racist sentiments, the other is born out of the issue of tax evasion and manipulation of wealth, which is perfectly apropos given that those issues are the major calling cards of the Democratic party from this election and the election of 2008. Mitt Romney brilliantly exemplifies what they have been attacking, if not by his foreign bank accounts, then by his refusal to release his tax return. It provokes legitimate suspicion.

Oh yeah, and it is customary for presidential candidates to release their tax returns. It is not customary for a president to prove that he is American citizen just because he's Black.

There's no basis for comparison, and I find any attempt to do so nearsighted and distasteful.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:27:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:26:10 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/5/2012 5:16:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Is this like when Donald Trump and his guys in Hawaii totes had evidence pertaining to Obama's not being born in the U.S.? Am I the only one who sees the Romney tax return "issue" as strikingly similar to the Obama birth certificate "issue"?

One concerns the candidates personal legitimacy for the presidency (a striking allegation), the other concerns merely dishonorable behavior. One is born out of idiotic and often times racist sentiments, the other is born out of the issue of tax evasion and manipulation of wealth, which is perfectly apropos given that those issues are the major calling cards of the Democratic party from this election and the election of 2008. Mitt Romney brilliantly exemplifies what they have been attacking, if not by his foreign bank accounts, then by his refusal to release his tax return. It provokes legitimate suspicion.

Oh yeah, and it is customary for presidential candidates to release their tax returns. It is not customary for a president to prove that he is American citizen just because he's Black.

There's no basis for comparison, and I find any attempt to do so nearsighted and distasteful.

Once again, a prime example of Ike saying pretty much: it's not about Obama this time, so it's ok. Or, Obama is saying it, so it's ok.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:30:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:24:21 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 9/5/2012 5:16:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Is this like when Donald Trump and his guys in Hawaii totes had evidence pertaining to Obama's not being born in the U.S.? Am I the only one who sees the Romney tax return "issue" as strikingly similar to the Obama birth certificate "issue"?

I see it more as Obama trying desperately to find something bad on the guy.

http://townhall.com...

That's basically what I meant. When Obama is running for President, conservatives (I admit not all of them) manufactured some bullsh1t controversy surrounding whether Obama was born in the U.S. Now that Romney is running, liberals (I admit not all of them)manufactured some bullsh1t controversy surrounding whether Romney paid his taxes in the last ten years. Harry Reid actually tried to place the BoP on Romney, like when Obama was demanded to show his birth certificate to prove himself innocent.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:30:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:27:51 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Once again, a prime example of Ike saying pretty much: it's not about Obama this time, so it's ok. Or, Obama is saying it, so it's ok.

I don't have to answer to you unless you have a legitimate argument against what I just said......but that's NEVER the case. Your disapproval of my comments never stems beyond the fact that I am supporting my political party, and never actually bothers to demonstrate why what I have said is inaccurate.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:31:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:16:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Is this like when Donald Trump and his guys in Hawaii totes had evidence pertaining to Obama's not being born in the U.S.? Am I the only one who sees the Romney tax return "issue" as strikingly similar to the Obama birth certificate "issue"?

They are similar and not. The birth certificate would disallow Obama's candidacy (via not being American-born), is a legal issue (as you must prove you are not foreign-born to be president via the Constitution), and was presumably obtained legally.
The tax issue could prove criminal acts, is not a candidacy issue, not a legal issue as he is not required to release any returns, and these were obtained illegally.

So, the only way they are similar is the massive consequences if either controversy were true. And there is evidence that suggest foul play: Obama is believed to have gone to Harvard as a foreign student (alleged reference in his book and not releasing school records) and Romney is believed to have off-shore accounts for the purpose of hiding money and assets from the IRS.

Oh, yeah, and the hatred, which fuels these conspiracies, are similar: Obama's due to racism, and Romney's due to class envy.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:35:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:30:30 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/5/2012 5:27:51 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Once again, a prime example of Ike saying pretty much: it's not about Obama this time, so it's ok. Or, Obama is saying it, so it's ok.

I don't have to answer to you unless you have a legitimate argument against what I just said......but that's NEVER the case. Your disapproval of my comments never stems beyond the fact that I am supporting my political party, and never actually bothers to demonstrate why what I have said is inaccurate.

First, I would like you to find an example were I didn't win the debate we had on it in the forums.

And second, oh, gimme a break, I could easily come up with some way to legitimize the birthed movement.

For one, it's a legitimate concern some people had. It's IS illegal. So people looked into it. Wasnt that big a deal. All he had to do was release a little piece of paper.

Now, Romneys tax returns, the only reason they want those is because they wanna find one little detail they can blow up, one little thing, and the fact that their grasping for straws.

See what I did there?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:36:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:30:25 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/5/2012 5:24:21 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 9/5/2012 5:16:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Is this like when Donald Trump and his guys in Hawaii totes had evidence pertaining to Obama's not being born in the U.S.? Am I the only one who sees the Romney tax return "issue" as strikingly similar to the Obama birth certificate "issue"?

I see it more as Obama trying desperately to find something bad on the guy.

http://townhall.com...

That's basically what I meant. When Obama is running for President, conservatives (I admit not all of them) manufactured some bullsh1t controversy surrounding whether Obama was born in the U.S. Now that Romney is running, liberals (I admit not all of them)manufactured some bullsh1t controversy surrounding whether Romney paid his taxes in the last ten years. Harry Reid actually tried to place the BoP on Romney, like when Obama was demanded to show his birth certificate to prove himself innocent.

Yeah pretty much. Surprises me as well, since Obama had a hell of a lot more skeletons in his closet than the little birthed issue.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:37:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:26:10 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/5/2012 5:16:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Is this like when Donald Trump and his guys in Hawaii totes had evidence pertaining to Obama's not being born in the U.S.? Am I the only one who sees the Romney tax return "issue" as strikingly similar to the Obama birth certificate "issue"?

One concerns the candidates personal legitimacy for the presidency (a striking allegation), the other concerns merely dishonorable behavior. One is born out of idiotic and often times racist sentiments, the other is born out of the issue of tax evasion and manipulation of wealth, which is perfectly apropos given that those issues are the major calling cards of the Democratic party from this election and the election of 2008.

Not really. You're giving the liberal side too much credit here (as usual). You say only one is born out of a real issue. Presidents are required by law to be born in the U.S. so I could say the same thing of their allegations. Furthermore, making a big deal about immigration issues is also a major calling card for the Republican Party (and the Democrats when no one's looking).

Mitt Romney brilliantly exemplifies what they have been attacking, if not by his foreign bank accounts, then by his refusal to release his tax return. It provokes legitimate suspicion.

hurr durr why'd Obama wait so long to release da birth certificate? He must be hiding something right?

Oh yeah, and it is customary for presidential candidates to release their tax returns. It is not customary for a president to prove that he is American citizen just because he's Black.

Romney released his 2010 tax return as well as an estimate for his 2011 return. http://www.mittromney.com... Furthermore, it isn't customary for a presidential candidate to prove that he paid his taxes just because he's rich.

There's no basis for comparison, and I find any attempt to do so nearsighted and distasteful.

I find you naive at best and purposely blind at worst so yeah.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:39:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Guys, guys, me and Social AGREED ON SOMETHING! O.O

Cool.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:41:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:39:27 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Guys, guys, me and Social AGREED ON SOMETHING! O.O

Cool.

Don't worry. I'll find something to argue about with you by the end of the night. Mind posting in dat anarchy thread?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:41:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 4:37:27 PM, imabench wrote:
http://mashable.com...

A group of hackers claim to have gotten a hold of Romney's tax returns and are using it for ransom.

My bet is that they are just bluffing, but how cool would it be if they actually did?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:49:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:37:35 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Romney released his 2010 tax return as well as an estimate for his 2011 return. http://www.mittromney.com... Furthermore, it isn't customary for a presidential candidate to prove that he paid his taxes just because he's rich.

I don't think the issue is whether he paid is taxes, as I am sure he did. The argument the left will use is loopholes for the rich and fair share mantra.

It is customary, not required, to release tax returns for multiple years, and I heard (granted it was from the left) that Romney's father started this custom decades ago. This builds credibility because anyone who decides they will run for office might change their habits (charity donations, unload certain stock) the year they are deciding, but what did they do five years before considering a run for office?
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:54:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:37:35 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/5/2012 5:26:10 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/5/2012 5:16:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Is this like when Donald Trump and his guys in Hawaii totes had evidence pertaining to Obama's not being born in the U.S.? Am I the only one who sees the Romney tax return "issue" as strikingly similar to the Obama birth certificate "issue"?

One concerns the candidates personal legitimacy for the presidency (a striking allegation), the other concerns merely dishonorable behavior. One is born out of idiotic and often times racist sentiments, the other is born out of the issue of tax evasion and manipulation of wealth, which is perfectly apropos given that those issues are the major calling cards of the Democratic party from this election and the election of 2008.

Not really. You're giving the liberal side too much credit here (as usual). You say only one is born out of a real issue. Presidents are required by law to be born in the U.S. so I could say the same thing of their allegations. Furthermore, making a big deal about immigration issues is also a major calling card for the Republican Party (and the Democrats when no one's looking).

Mitt Romney brilliantly exemplifies what they have been attacking, if not by his foreign bank accounts, then by his refusal to release his tax return. It provokes legitimate suspicion.

hurr durr why'd Obama wait so long to release da birth certificate? He must be hiding something right?

That's not the charge being held against Romney. The charge is that he hasn't released them in sufficient quantity AT ALL. Maybe the birthers would have some kind of ground if all Obama did was release a snap shot of the edge of the form. ..so yeah. You have an irritating way of deliberating skewing everything to appear in a way that serves your purposes.

Oh yeah, and it is customary for presidential candidates to release their tax returns. It is not customary for a president to prove that he is American citizen just because he's Black.

Romney released his 2010 tax return as well as an estimate for his 2011 return. http://www.mittromney.com... Furthermore, it isn't customary for a presidential candidate to prove that he paid his taxes just because he's rich.

Bullsh!t. His own father released 12 years, and the customary standard I believe is 5. The man has enjoyed an approximately 12% tax rate at an income as vast as his, while people living paycheck to paycheck are paying about 30%...AND he has foreign bank accounts where he hides his money. People aren't hounding him just because he's rich, but because there is substantial evidence of some serious misconduct. ( http://www.cnn.com... )

There's no basis for comparison, and I find any attempt to do so nearsighted and distasteful.

I find you naive at best and purposely blind at worst so yeah.

You don't know the facts at best, you're lying through your teeth at worst so yeah.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:58:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
And one more point I forgot...Romney isn't the first rich Republican to run for president. That you think these allegations exist only because the liberal ideology has something against financial success is ridiculous.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 6:04:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:58:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
And one more point I forgot...Romney isn't the first rich Republican to run for president. That you think these allegations exist only because the liberal ideology has something against financial success is ridiculous.

Oh, I don't think that all of it, I just think its cause their grasping for straws.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 6:10:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:54:43 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/5/2012 5:37:35 PM, socialpinko wrote:

hurr durr why'd Obama wait so long to release da birth certificate? He must be hiding something right?

That's not the charge being held against Romney. The charge is that he hasn't released them in sufficient quantity AT ALL.

It actually started when Harry Reid claimed he had a source which probed that Romney hadn't paid any taxes in ten years. He didn't provide a source and when he was called on it he argued that Romney should be the one proving that he DID pay taxes since Romney is the one being accused.

Maybe the birthers would have some kind of ground if all Obama did was release a snap shot of the edge of the form. ..so yeah. You have an irritating way of deliberating skewing everything to appear in a way that serves your purposes.

Romney released his 2010 tax return as well as an estimate for his 2011 return. http://www.mittromney.com... Furthermore, it isn't customary for a presidential candidate to prove that he paid his taxes just because he's rich.

Bullsh!t. His own father released 12 years, and the customary standard I believe is 5.

Bullsh1t to whether he has released his 2012 returns and the estimates for 2011 or bullsh1t to whether it's enough? If it's the latter I'm sorry to inform you it's really a matter of opinion.

The man has enjoyed an approximately 12% tax rate at an income as vast as his, while people living paycheck to paycheck are paying about 30%...

K. So this is an argument over how much in taxes rich people should pay, not whether Romney himself has or has not actually paid taxes in the last ten years. I'd also really like to see legitimate evidence that people living paycheck to paycheck (whatever that means) are really paying 30%n in taxes. Furthermore, arguing from a disparity in payment doesn't prove he should pay more. At the very least these people living "paycheck to paycheck" ought to pay less. Your point only emphasizes disparity in what they pay, not that he necessarily pays too little.

AND he has foreign bank accounts where he hides his money. People aren't hounding him just because he's rich, but because there is substantial evidence of some serious misconduct. ( http://www.cnn.com... )

I don't deny that and that's not what this is about. What I am denying is the idea that when conservatives prodded into Obama's information it was only for political purposes, but when it's liberals doing it it's because there's actually some scandal regarding whether or not Romney paid taxes. It's basic party politics. Cynicism towards the "other" guys, coupled with a hard defense of "our" guys.

There's no basis for comparison, and I find any attempt to do so nearsighted and distasteful.

I find you naive at best and purposely blind at worst so yeah.

You don't know the facts at best, you're lying through your teeth at worst so yeah.

I see what ya did ther.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 6:13:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:58:00 PM, 000ike wrote:
And one more point I forgot...Romney isn't the first rich Republican to run for president. That you think these allegations exist only because the liberal ideology has something against financial success is ridiculous.

I don't think liberal ideology is the origination of the accusations. It's simply politics as usual. What better way to draw attention away from Obama's continuation of Bush's war mongering, drastically upgrading the Drug War, failing to close Guantanamo, etc. etc. when you can complain about Romney not paying his taxes?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 6:21:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 6:10:47 PM, socialpinko wrote:

K. So this is an argument over how much in taxes rich people should pay, not whether Romney himself has or has not actually paid taxes in the last ten years. I'd also really like to see legitimate evidence that people living paycheck to paycheck (whatever that means) are really paying 30%n in taxes. Furthermore, arguing from a disparity in payment doesn't prove he should pay more. At the very least these people living "paycheck to paycheck" ought to pay less. Your point only emphasizes disparity in what they pay, not that he necessarily pays too little.

Yes, yes, I'm sure that coheres with your anarchistic sympathies, but you have to put it in the context of a national presidential election where foul play by the richest 1% is a major issue. Your point on reducing taxes to 12% then really does not stand. The reality is that the law demands Romney to pay more and it was his CIVIC DUTY to pay more, and he found ways to circumvent it. Why should a man like that be allowed to be president on our watch? Why SHOULDN'T the opposing party broadcast this cheating for the country to see?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 6:28:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 5:54:43 PM, 000ike wrote:

Bullsh!t. His own father released 12 years, and the customary standard I believe is 5. The man has enjoyed an approximately 12% tax rate at an income as vast as his, while people living paycheck to paycheck are paying about 30%...AND he has foreign bank accounts where he hides his money. People aren't hounding him just because he's rich, but because there is substantial evidence of some serious misconduct. ( http://www.cnn.com... )

For someone to have a federal rate of 30%, they need to have a gross income of around $300,000 (if you include payroll taxes). Is this the person living paycheck to paycheck?

A single taxpayer making $50,000 with no dependants will pay no more than 12.8% in federal income taxes (not including payroll). Include payroll, it is still less than 20% in 2011. Is a single man making $50K living paycheck to paycheck? If they are, then they have serious spending issues.