Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Ban on plastic butter knife's to school.

16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 11:54:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 11:40:49 PM, DontTreadOnMe wrote:
In Florida, it is illegal to bring a plastic butter knife to school.

http://www.eagleforum.org...

What do you think about this?

The fvck?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 1:53:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is commonplace here in the states.

It is part of the "Zero Tolerance" weapons policies that lots of schools have. I think it is over the top, but at the same time, it makes sense. If I can't have a hunting knife, why should you have a steak knife? So, no knives are allowed, including plastic ones.
DontTreadOnMe
Posts: 136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:08:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/6/2012 1:53:40 AM, Chaos88 wrote:
This is commonplace here in the states.

It is part of the "Zero Tolerance" weapons policies that lots of schools have. I think it is over the top, but at the same time, it makes sense. If I can't have a hunting knife, why should you have a steak knife? So, no knives are allowed, including plastic ones.

BUT IT'S PLASTIC!!!! Pretty authoritarian to me. In my opinion.
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:23:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think the reasoning is "a knife is a knife" and regardless of its purpose. This way, there are no subjective calls. I agree, the fact that it's plastic makes it ridiculous, but they are consistent.

Tell me, if that plastic knife that you say should be brought to school for lunch was painted black at the handle and silver at the blade, and it was used to menace teachers and/or students, should that knife be allowed? After all, it is plastic.

We would so no, because of the intent, right? So, now, the school is left with making a judgment call on the intent of a student's plastic knife and/or whether the knife looks too realistic. By banning all knives, you eliminate this issue.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:33:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/6/2012 2:23:09 AM, Chaos88 wrote:
I think the reasoning is "a knife is a knife" and regardless of its purpose. This way, there are no subjective calls. I agree, the fact that it's plastic makes it ridiculous, but they are consistent.

Tell me, if that plastic knife that you say should be brought to school for lunch was painted black at the handle and silver at the blade, and it was used to menace teachers and/or students, should that knife be allowed? After all, it is plastic.

We would so no, because of the intent, right? So, now, the school is left with making a judgment call on the intent of a student's plastic knife and/or whether the knife looks too realistic. By banning all knives, you eliminate this issue.

That's a great analysis - provided we agree there is an "issue."

Didn't someone just put up an article to the effect that a kid couldn't even sign (as in sign language) his name in class because it involved him making gun-motions with his hands? His name was like Hunter or something...

One could say this raises more issues than it solves...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 3:04:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/6/2012 2:33:43 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 9/6/2012 2:23:09 AM, Chaos88 wrote:
I think the reasoning is "a knife is a knife" and regardless of its purpose. This way, there are no subjective calls. I agree, the fact that it's plastic makes it ridiculous, but they are consistent.

Tell me, if that plastic knife that you say should be brought to school for lunch was painted black at the handle and silver at the blade, and it was used to menace teachers and/or students, should that knife be allowed? After all, it is plastic.

We would so no, because of the intent, right? So, now, the school is left with making a judgment call on the intent of a student's plastic knife and/or whether the knife looks too realistic. By banning all knives, you eliminate this issue.

That's a great analysis - provided we agree there is an "issue."

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

Didn't someone just put up an article to the effect that a kid couldn't even sign (as in sign language) his name in class because it involved him making gun-motions with his hands? His name was like Hunter or something...

I heard something about it, but I assume they are not related.

If a kid is "shooting" at you to tell you his name, it could easily be perceived as a threat or a gang sign. This could lead to trouble, even for the child.

One could say this raises more issues than it solves...

But it is suppossed to solve the issue of schools being sued for everything under the sun, by everyone suffering and no one enjoying life or failure.
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 7:45:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/6/2012 2:08:41 AM, DontTreadOnMe wrote:
At 9/6/2012 1:53:40 AM, Chaos88 wrote:
This is commonplace here in the states.

It is part of the "Zero Tolerance" weapons policies that lots of schools have. I think it is over the top, but at the same time, it makes sense. If I can't have a hunting knife, why should you have a steak knife? So, no knives are allowed, including plastic ones.

BUT IT'S PLASTIC!!!! Pretty authoritarian to me. In my opinion.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 8:21:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This why I oppose weapon control... To a degree
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
DontTreadOnMe
Posts: 136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 8:31:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/6/2012 8:21:52 AM, 16kadams wrote:
This why I oppose weapon control... To a degree

It's plastic. I'm not even sure sure you can kill somebody with a plastic knife. Just a graze.

LOLLOL
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 10:28:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/6/2012 3:04:59 AM, Chaos88 wrote:
At 9/6/2012 2:33:43 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 9/6/2012 2:23:09 AM, Chaos88 wrote:
I think the reasoning is "a knife is a knife" and regardless of its purpose. This way, there are no subjective calls. I agree, the fact that it's plastic makes it ridiculous, but they are consistent.

Tell me, if that plastic knife that you say should be brought to school for lunch was painted black at the handle and silver at the blade, and it was used to menace teachers and/or students, should that knife be allowed? After all, it is plastic.

We would so no, because of the intent, right? So, now, the school is left with making a judgment call on the intent of a student's plastic knife and/or whether the knife looks too realistic. By banning all knives, you eliminate this issue.

That's a great analysis - provided we agree there is an "issue."

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

I agree with your analysis, provided the assumption that an "issue" exists is agreed upon. One can question that assumption, however. I don't personally see an issue with small children garnishing weapons in the classroom. If you're scared of little children, maybe you should have one and see they are really quite benign.

Didn't someone just put up an article to the effect that a kid couldn't even sign (as in sign language) his name in class because it involved him making gun-motions with his hands? His name was like Hunter or something...

I heard something about it, but I assume they are not related.

If a kid is "shooting" at you to tell you his name, it could easily be perceived as a threat or a gang sign. This could lead to trouble, even for the child.

Only someone with severe mental problems would perceive a child's hand-motions as a threat to their personal security.

One could say this raises more issues than it solves...

But it is suppossed to solve the issue of schools being sued for everything under the sun, by everyone suffering and no one enjoying life or failure.

Being sued is a function of public policy. Policies are subjective and transient; they are fragile and temporary social constructs that will be here today, gone tomorrow. Revolving your principles and your way of thinking around these ideas is quite narrow-minded...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 1:32:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 11:54:39 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 9/5/2012 11:40:49 PM, DontTreadOnMe wrote:
In Florida, it is illegal to bring a plastic butter knife to school.

http://www.eagleforum.org...

What do you think about this?

The fvck?

Hey hey hey hey, until youve actually BEEN to Florida, Id be quiet. THANK GOD they are banned because if they werent then all the dumb kids in highschool would start turning them into prison shanks to fight each other. Its a mess down here in Florida and some of these high schoolers shouldnt be allowed to use a plastic butterknife, believe me I was there
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 1:33:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/5/2012 11:59:13 PM, DontTreadOnMe wrote:
As president I vow to make it legal to bring a plastic butter knife to school.

oh hop off already
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 1:34:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/6/2012 8:31:11 AM, DontTreadOnMe wrote:
At 9/6/2012 8:21:52 AM, 16kadams wrote:
This why I oppose weapon control... To a degree

It's plastic. I'm not even sure sure you can kill somebody with a plastic knife. Just a graze.

LOLLOL

have you ever been to public school?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 1:38:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/6/2012 1:34:14 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/6/2012 8:31:11 AM, DontTreadOnMe wrote:
At 9/6/2012 8:21:52 AM, 16kadams wrote:
This why I oppose weapon control... To a degree

It's plastic. I'm not even sure sure you can kill somebody with a plastic knife. Just a graze.

LOLLOL

have you ever been to public school?

Merely a fleshwound.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:21:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/6/2012 2:16:26 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
The fvck Imabench, newsflash, it's PLASTIC.

http://policelink.monster.com...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:22:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/6/2012 2:21:37 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/6/2012 2:16:26 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
The fvck Imabench, newsflash, it's PLASTIC.

http://policelink.monster.com...

"examples of edged and sharp improvised weapons found in prisons include a toothbrush with embedded blades or a sharpened end, a ball point pen with embedded blades, metal can lids, metal cut-offs, wooden spikes, craft blades, large screws or nails, glass shards, sharpened plastic prison cutlery, metal cutlery from the staff canteen, metal kitchen ladles, metal ring spikes from fire extinguishers, and syringes."
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:24:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/6/2012 2:08:41 AM, DontTreadOnMe wrote:
At 9/6/2012 1:53:40 AM, Chaos88 wrote:
This is commonplace here in the states.

It is part of the "Zero Tolerance" weapons policies that lots of schools have. I think it is over the top, but at the same time, it makes sense. If I can't have a hunting knife, why should you have a steak knife? So, no knives are allowed, including plastic ones.

BUT IT'S PLASTIC!!!! Pretty authoritarian to me. In my opinion.

Someone else said it's because "a knife is a knife" regardless of the use. The actual thing is when the bill was drafted they didn't add this about butter plastic knives because it's pointless. The judge has to use discretion with the intention of the bill for the punishment or whether there is to be one. Unless you want eight thousand page legislation for "don't carry threatening knives", then there'll be these minor points of loopholes.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2012 2:48:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It does sound silly, but where do schools draw the line?

Okay, plastic knives are fine, but not plastic guns?

Okay, plastic guns are fine, but not replica guns?

Okay, replica guns are fine, so long as they are air guns that fire pellets, but not guns that fire live ammunition?

Okay, guns that fire live ammunition that can be used in self-defense are fine, but not semi-automatic assault weapons?

And so on and so forth....
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...