Jump to topic:

Sincere questions to Libertarians

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 3:59:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Gary Johnson is currently running as a third party candidate in the general election as we all know, but a thought occurred to me and I would really love to hear from the libertarians out there.

Where do you realistically put Gary Johnson in the % of votes he will get? Do you think he will get 2% of the vote, 5%, 10%, 15% or something else?

Then compared to the % you realistically think he would get, what percentage of the vote would you be disappointed in hearing him getting. Would you consider it bad that he only got 5% of the vote?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 4:09:04 PM
At 9/8/2012 3:59:58 PM, imabench wrote:
Gary Johnson is currently running as a third party candidate in the general election as we all know, but a thought occurred to me and I would really love to hear from the libertarians out there.

Where do you realistically put Gary Johnson in the % of votes he will get? Do you think he will get 2% of the vote, 5%, 10%, 15% or something else?

Then compared to the % you realistically think he would get, what percentage of the vote would you be disappointed in hearing him getting. Would you consider it bad that he only got 5% of the vote?

Lucky If he gets 1%. Previous libertarian only got 0.40%. Also, Gary Johnson left the republican party because he couldn't get enough popular support for him to get into the debates, in which he needed 2% popularity to get in.
Open borders debate:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 4:10:50 PM
At 9/8/2012 4:09:04 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Lucky If he gets 1%. Previous libertarian only got 0.40%......

So your hoping for 1% and would be disappointed if he only got .40% like libertarians before him?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 4:20:05 PM
At 9/8/2012 4:10:50 PM, imabench wrote:

So your hoping for 1% and would be disappointed if he only got .40% like libertarians before him?

Pretty much. I know he cannot win; though I feel it's time to protest against the current government and vote for him to make a statement.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 4:20:49 PM
You know, if Libertarians called themselves conservative Republicans while subtly advocating Libertarian policies, they'd actually have a shot. But no, they need to flamboyantly force some foreign ideology down America's throat while calling everyone in the mainstream stupid or ignorant....and then they scratch their heads, bemused, when their spokesmen fail.

No strategic acumen whatsoever.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 4:23:43 PM

I don't even know If I'll vote for Gary Johnson.

The problem is that he's a moderate libertarian. So radical libertarians are not going to accept him and write-in Ron Paul or not vote. While moderate libertarians, thinking more pragmatically will vote Mitt Romney as the lesser of two evils.
Open borders debate:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 4:45:02 PM
At 9/8/2012 4:20:05 PM, Microsuck wrote:

Pretty much. I know he cannot win; though I feel it's time to protest against the current government and vote for him to make a statement.

I understand that that is the mentality behind libertarians for this election, Im just wondering what they feel would be making a statement in terms of % of support he gets

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 5:15:12 PM

Lucky If he gets 1%. Previous libertarian only got 0.40%. Also, Gary Johnson left the republican party because he couldn't get enough popular support for him to get into the debates, in which he needed 2% popularity to get in.

1% would be an optimistic hope. But it isn't entirely unrealistic. He isn't that low in New Mexico, I believe he is running about 5% there.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 5:16:56 PM
At 9/8/2012 4:20:49 PM, 000ike wrote:
You know, if Libertarians called themselves conservative Republicans while subtly advocating Libertarian policies, they'd actually have a shot. But no, they need to flamboyantly force some foreign ideology down America's throat while calling everyone in the mainstream stupid or ignorant....and then they scratch their heads, bemused, when their spokesmen fail.

Except for the slight problem that libertarians are nothing- neither socially nor economically- like Republicans.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 5:26:32 PM
At 9/8/2012 5:16:56 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Except for the slight problem that libertarians are nothing- neither socially nor economically- like Republicans.

Economically very similar in almost all groups, socially differ but a faction of republicans (and a major one at that) being neoliberals (e.g. Ron Paul) meaning that there's a lot of grouping.

But the separation is good for politics, even if they only garner 1% support.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 7:07:13 PM
At 9/8/2012 5:26:32 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Economically very similar in almost all groups,

Not at all. The Republicans are at best rather moderate. Economically, they still support a big government- just in different ways than Democrats. The libertarians, on the other hand, are actually genuinely fiscally conservative and more or less abhor all government.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2012 7:52:44 PM
they'd actually have a shot. But no, they need to flamboyantly force some foreign ideology down America's throat
Right-libertarianism is quite natively an American ideology. Indeed, it's just a logically consistent version of classical libertarianism, which is THE American ideology to anyone who knows their revolutionary history. Anyone not closer to libertarianism than one of the two major parties is un-American.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:23:59 PM
At 9/8/2012 7:07:13 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Not at all. The Republicans are at best rather moderate. Economically, they still support a big government- just in different ways than Democrats. The libertarians, on the other hand, are actually genuinely fiscally conservative and more or less abhor all government.

Learn your political factions, please. See: Fiscal Conservatives; Libertarian Republicans.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
TombLikeBomb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:00:34 PM
I get the impression that libertarians feel like everyone else is taking crazy pills for seeing a left-right continuum when they see two dimensions. But there's no contradiction in the Republicans' pro-military, pro-church, anti-tax stance. They are the regressive party without exception. The libertarians simply fail to see that their very notions of liberty, from which they construct their 2-dimensional space, are historically determined and as laughable as American colonists crying out for the freedom to enslave.
From the time of the progressive era with the rise of public schooling through the post-WWII period, capital invaded the time workers had liberated from waged work and shaped it for purposes of social control. Perhaps the most obvious moment of this colonization was the re-incarceration in schools of the young (who were expelled from the factories by child labor laws) such that what might have been free time was structured to convert their life energies into labor power.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:25:27 PM

Economically very similar in almost all groups, socially differ but a faction of republicans (and a major one at that) being neoliberals (e.g. Ron Paul) meaning that there's a lot of grouping.

But the separation is good for politics, even if they only garner 1% support.

Paul is a paleoconservative--which is a kind of libertarian, but a weak version of one.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 11:22:02 PM

Genuine Libertarians don't vote.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 11:23:37 PM
At 9/8/2012 7:52:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
they'd actually have a shot. But no, they need to flamboyantly force some foreign ideology down America's throat
Right-libertarianism is quite natively an American ideology. Indeed, it's just a logically consistent version of classical libertarianism, which is THE American ideology to anyone who knows their revolutionary history. Anyone not closer to libertarianism than one of the two major parties is un-American.

But healthcare is a right! [continues to produce economic fallacies and emotionalism]
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:40:24 AM
I'm hoping 0%, because the higher his % the more likely Obama will be reelected. He is just weakening the republican vote. We need more libertarian congressmen before trying to put a libertarian in the white house.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 9:24:47 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate, is polling with 5%. That is not too bad for a 3rd party candidate.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 9:31:24 PM
At 9/10/2012 9:24:47 PM, Contra wrote:

Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate, is polling with 5%. That is not too bad for a 3rd party candidate.

4%? that just may be enough to f*ck up romney's chances of winning....

THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 10:53:10 PM
At 9/10/2012 9:31:24 PM, imabench wrote:

4%? that just may be enough to f*ck up romney's chances of winning....

*imabench returns to his castle in order to compile the numbers*
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 10:55:54 PM
At 9/10/2012 10:53:10 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 9/10/2012 9:31:24 PM, imabench wrote:

4%? that just may be enough to f*ck up romney's chances of winning...

Johnson steals Obamas votes in a few states

*imabench returns to his castle in order to compile the numbers*
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 11:00:28 PM
At 9/9/2012 5:23:59 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 9/8/2012 7:07:13 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Learn your political factions, please. See: Fiscal Conservatives; Libertarian Republicans.

Excellent reply, which entailed absolutely nothing of value. The Republicans are not any of those.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 11:09:41 PM
At 9/8/2012 4:23:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:

That makes you de facto fascist.

The problem is that he's a moderate libertarian. So radical libertarians are not going to accept him and write-in Ron Paul or not vote. While moderate libertarians, thinking more pragmatically will vote Mitt Romney as the lesser of two evils.

Where on earth did you hear that blatantly false info. Gary Johnson is not moderate Libertarian. According to official rankings, he's ranked higher than Ron Paul on civil liberties. In fact, he's ranked #1.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 11:46:55 PM
I say 1-2%, but he will pull equal amounts from Obama and Romney, more likely from Obama, contrary to popular belief.

And wtf, are people actually arguing whether or not Republicanism and Libertarianism are actually similar? Really?

First, they are on opposite ends of the social spectrum. That cannot be argued.

Second, most Republicans and all Republican politicians support so much government control in the economy that they might as well be Democrats. What do you think trickle-down economics is?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 12:37:13 AM
At 9/10/2012 11:09:41 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Beautiful <3

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:27:41 AM

Not voting for Gary Johnson =/= Anti-Libertarian

There are 4 main political coalitions; Conservatives, Progressives, Fascists, and Libertarians. The political spectrum is not black and white; simply because you are not a libertarian does not make you a fascist. That's like saying by not voting Romney you are de facto progressive.

Fascists are divided into 2 groups;
Left Wing: Socialists
Right Wing: Nationalists

Libertarians are divided into 2 groups;
Left Wing: Anarchists
Right Wing: Classic Liberals

Progressives are divided into 2 groups;
Collectivist: Populists
Individualist: Social/Radical Liberals

Conservatives are divided into 2 groups;
Collectivist: Traditional Conservatives
Individualist: (classic) Liberal Conservatives
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 11:35:00 AM

Where on earth did you hear that blatantly false info. Gary Johnson is not moderate Libertarian. According to official rankings, he's ranked higher than Ron Paul on civil liberties. In fact, he's ranked #1.

As far as I'm concerned, New Mexico doesn't have prostitutes and heroin legalized, along with no government spending except for defense. Gary Johnson said he'll legalize marijuana and end the war on drugs. However he never said that "heroin should be legalized" like Ron Paul has. He doesn't advocate a gold standard like Ron Paul does. He's not an austrian economist like Ron Paul is.

Open borders debate:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 3:04:09 PM
At 9/11/2012 11:27:41 AM, DanT wrote:

Not voting for Gary Johnson =/= Anti-Libertarian

There are 4 main political coalitions; Conservatives, Progressives, Fascists, and Libertarians. The political spectrum is not black and white; simply because you are not a libertarian does not make you a fascist. That's like saying by not voting Romney you are de facto progressive.

False. By not voting for Romney that could mean you are voting for either Obama, Johnson, or noone (bar write ins and Stein). So you could be any sort of ideology.

By not voting for Gary Johnson you are either voting for Obama (fascist), Romney (fascist), or noone (complicit with fascism).

Fascists are divided into 2 groups;
Left Wing: Socialists
Right Wing: Nationalists

Libertarians are divided into 2 groups;
Left Wing: Anarchists
Right Wing: Classic Liberals

Progressives are divided into 2 groups;
Collectivist: Populists
Individualist: Social/Radical Liberals

Conservatives are divided into 2 groups;
Collectivist: Traditional Conservatives
Individualist: (classic) Liberal Conservatives

I disagree with those categorizations.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
MattDescopa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 6:43:26 PM

LOL.