New York Times writer idiot.......

Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 5:44:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
No, this guy is an idiot.

The NY Times article was accurate, not offensive, and actually said three good things about the organic movement (one being that it has gotten people to think about health).

The responding article was grasping at straws, resorting to hyperbole (if you buy organic they'll detain you, like our veterans), evoking personal attacks (calling him "idiot of the year" and senile), and hoping he dies (or at least goes brain dead) by eating more pesticides. He does not mention the praises that were given, nor does he offer evidence of organics being more nutritious (less poison, yes, not more nutrients), nor the price difference, nor the impracticality for 9 billion people.

The best (and only) thing he did that was intelligent was try to refute Cohen's claim regarding E-coli, but the only thing he cited was there is less antibiotic-resistant bacteria in organic meat. This is not E-coli specific, so it is a wash (assuming E-coli is a A-R bacteria).

http://www.nytimes.com...
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 8:51:24 AM
The problem with that study is that it is short term. Everybody is at fault here because they're drawing conclusions on the overall benefit of organic food based on a study that didn't go on long enough to observe any benefits or dangers. And it's obvious that over a longer period of time, adverse effects would show up from consuming foods with pesticides.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:25:04 AM
At 9/9/2012 5:44:43 AM, Chaos88 wrote:
No, this guy is an idiot.

The NY Times article was accurate, not offensive, and actually said three good things about the organic movement (one being that it has gotten people to think about health).

The responding article was grasping at straws, resorting to hyperbole (if you buy organic they'll detain you, like our veterans), evoking personal attacks (calling him "idiot of the year" and senile), and hoping he dies (or at least goes brain dead) by eating more pesticides. He does not mention the praises that were given, nor does he offer evidence of organics being more nutritious (less poison, yes, not more nutrients), nor the price difference, nor the impracticality for 9 billion people.

The best (and only) thing he did that was intelligent was try to refute Cohen's claim regarding E-coli, but the only thing he cited was there is less antibiotic-resistant bacteria in organic meat. This is not E-coli specific, so it is a wash (assuming E-coli is a A-R bacteria).

http://www.nytimes.com...

"Conclusion: The published literature lacks strong evidence that organic foods are significantly more nutritious than conventional foods. Consumption of organic foods may reduce exposure to pesticide residues and antibiotic-resistant bacteria."

That's the source on the paper's conclusion. According to naturalnews, that somehow means that pesticide are evil and murder people. I can't possibly take some people like this seriously.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 9:55:21 AM
Organic food is bullsh!t
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 12:49:26 AM
At 9/9/2012 4:45:36 AM, DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Do you buy organic food? New York Times writer calls you a delusional cult member suckered into a 'fable'

http://www.naturalnews.com...

You need to actually read the article. The writer makes some very good point and he is right based on the info we have. Although I agree with one of the other posters that said we haven't studied the long term effects of organic food vs normal food. In some ways organic food is a fable to those who don't know what it means and what you support by buying it. While I don't agree with his idea that the short term problem of feeding people is more important than protecting the environment, he made a great argument.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:00:15 AM
"The assault on the organic industry is in full swing today, and it's an attack not merely on the industry itself but an attack on your sanity. If you "believe" in organic foods and non-GMOs, you are about to be labeled a delusional conspiracy theorist.

How do I know that? Because the lying mainstream media is rolling out the idea that organics are a "fable," a fairy tale myth. In one of the most idiotic, corporate-serving editorials I've ever seen, New York Times columnist Roger Cohen starts off with the title, "The Organic Fable." He then goes on to call organics a false "ideology," sort of a like a pseudoscientific cult.

He says, "Organic is a fable of the pampered parts of the planet -- romantic and comforting," and talks about how it has "a cult following."

He then goes on to just flat-out lie to his readers, claiming the opposite of what the study he's citing actually found. "...it found that organic food was not less likely to be contaminated by dangerous bacteria like E.coli," writes Cohen. But of course that's a lie. The study actually found significantly lower levels of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in organic meats, as is explained in the study conclusion itself"

I can tell just form the language hes using that the guy who wrote this is horrendously biased and probably a moron.

DontTreadOnMe, please tell me you dont actually get your news from this guy...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:26:15 AM
At 9/10/2012 1:00:15 AM, imabench wrote:
"The assault on the organic industry is in full swing today, and it's an attack not merely on the industry itself but an attack on your sanity. If you "believe" in organic foods and non-GMOs, you are about to be labeled a delusional conspiracy theorist.

How do I know that? Because the lying mainstream media is rolling out the idea that organics are a "fable," a fairy tale myth. In one of the most idiotic, corporate-serving editorials I've ever seen, New York Times columnist Roger Cohen starts off with the title, "The Organic Fable." He then goes on to call organics a false "ideology," sort of a like a pseudoscientific cult.

He says, "Organic is a fable of the pampered parts of the planet -- romantic and comforting," and talks about how it has "a cult following."

He then goes on to just flat-out lie to his readers, claiming the opposite of what the study he's citing actually found. "...it found that organic food was not less likely to be contaminated by dangerous bacteria like E.coli," writes Cohen. But of course that's a lie. The study actually found significantly lower levels of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in organic meats, as is explained in the study conclusion itself"

I can tell just form the language hes using that the guy who wrote this is horrendously biased and probably a moron.

A ghostwriter for Alex Jones, perhaps?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:31:16 AM
At 9/10/2012 1:26:15 AM, Chaos88 wrote:
At 9/10/2012 1:00:15 AM, imabench wrote:

A ghostwriter for Alex Jones, perhaps?

I could buy that
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015