Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why do people hate the TSA?

imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 11:07:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
TSA = Transportation Safety Agency. Why do people hate them so much, seriously?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 11:15:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 11:07:09 AM, imabench wrote:
TSA = Transportation Safety Agency. Why do people hate them so much, seriously?

They view them and their policies as a paranoid over-reaction to a significantly small threat, and that those actions violate way too many freedoms and really solve too little problems to be justified.

At least, that is why I think they "hate" them.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 11:15:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 11:07:09 AM, imabench wrote:
TSA = Transportation Safety Agency. Why do people hate them so much, seriously?

Because of how they operate.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 11:19:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't know, I've been to the airport many times and haven't had a problem going through security. I've never gone international before, and i've heard they're worse for international flights. I'll have to see it to believe it.

Although they are more inefficient run then private air security.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 11:19:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 11:07:09 AM, imabench wrote:
TSA = Transportation Safety Agency. Why do people hate them so much, seriously?

Because they invade your privacy. Kinda obvious; although I agree that they get allot of unjust heat.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 11:24:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Because they get pissed off and search your luggage if you bring a wooden souvenir from Mexico. Then again, it's probably my fault that I actually checked that I was bringing in something wooden on the declaration.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 11:27:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 11:07:09 AM, imabench wrote:
TSA = Transportation Safety Agency. Why do people hate them so much, seriously?

Because:
1. The employees are of low characteer
2. It is unnecessary
3. They are gestapoesque
4. We get to pay for it waste

There is about as much chance of another terror attack from a plane as of Japan bombing Pearl....it epitomizes how the US has become a bunch of cowards.
LeafRod
Posts: 1,548
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 11:35:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 11:19:29 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Although they are more inefficient run then private air security.

What's your experience with private air security? Especially on the same scale as the TSA?
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:14:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 11:35:38 AM, LeafRod wrote:
At 9/9/2012 11:19:29 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Although they are more inefficient run then private air security.

What's your experience with private air security? Especially on the same scale as the TSA?

I remember private air security when I was little. Didn't see much of a difference. Except I have to take my shoes off with the TSA security. Oh and you can't bring large liquids on the flight. But otherwise, that's about it.

How has your experience been different?

Its preferable than going through the security whenever there was an event at my university, in which the guards would have to pat us down and my friend couldn't even bring in caffeine pills to an event.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:24:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 11:07:09 AM, imabench wrote:
TSA = Transportation Safety Agency. Why do people hate them so much, seriously?

The fact that they spend their time feeling up little boys and old ladies, for one.
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:27:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 12:24:33 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 9/9/2012 11:07:09 AM, imabench wrote:
TSA = Transportation Safety Agency. Why do people hate them so much, seriously?

The fact that they spend their time feeling up little boys and old ladies, for one.

For some reason, I don't see how they can get that much enjoyment from that.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:30:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 12:27:22 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:24:33 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 9/9/2012 11:07:09 AM, imabench wrote:
TSA = Transportation Safety Agency. Why do people hate them so much, seriously?

The fact that they spend their time feeling up little boys and old ladies, for one.

For some reason, I don't see how they can get that much enjoyment from that.

They do it! Feeling them up, messing with their depends diapers and wheel chairs...And I'm just scratching the surface of reasons why I despise the TSA...I could go on if I felt like it...
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:36:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 12:30:31 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:27:22 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:24:33 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 9/9/2012 11:07:09 AM, imabench wrote:
TSA = Transportation Safety Agency. Why do people hate them so much, seriously?

The fact that they spend their time feeling up little boys and old ladies, for one.

For some reason, I don't see how they can get that much enjoyment from that.

They do it! Feeling them up, messing with their depends diapers and wheel chairs...And I'm just scratching the surface of reasons why I despise the TSA...I could go on if I felt like it...

You get felt up at the doctors office. There aren't that many complaints about that.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:37:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You seriously can't figure out why people can't stand the TSA?

http://m.youtube.com...

I think the real goal of the terrorists were to make government spend trillions of dollars and create hysteria. If so, they succeeded admirably
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:37:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I flew yesterday and it was fine...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Magicr
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:38:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Right, so lets take a look at the choice we face regarding the TSA.

One option is to decide that the TSA's practices are extreme violations of privacy, and therefore they should lessen their procedures, allowing armed terrorists to gain access to airplanes more easily. This choice places the freedom to one's privacy above many people's lives.

The other option is to maintain the services the TSA provides which make it virtually impossible for someone to sneak a weapon onto a plane, thus saving lives. This choice places people's lives above their freedom to absolute privacy.

Freedoms are useless if we are not alive, therefore the second option definitely is the logical one.
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:39:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 12:36:27 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:30:31 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:27:22 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:24:33 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 9/9/2012 11:07:09 AM, imabench wrote:
TSA = Transportation Safety Agency. Why do people hate them so much, seriously?

The fact that they spend their time feeling up little boys and old ladies, for one.

For some reason, I don't see how they can get that much enjoyment from that.

They do it! Feeling them up, messing with their depends diapers and wheel chairs...And I'm just scratching the surface of reasons why I despise the TSA...I could go on if I felt like it...

You get felt up at the doctors office. There aren't that many complaints about that.

You submit to that, and it's for a good reason...The TSA have no right to do what they do....
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:41:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 12:39:06 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:36:27 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:30:31 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:27:22 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:24:33 PM, EvanK wrote:
At 9/9/2012 11:07:09 AM, imabench wrote:
TSA = Transportation Safety Agency. Why do people hate them so much, seriously?

The fact that they spend their time feeling up little boys and old ladies, for one.

For some reason, I don't see how they can get that much enjoyment from that.

They do it! Feeling them up, messing with their depends diapers and wheel chairs...And I'm just scratching the surface of reasons why I despise the TSA...I could go on if I felt like it...

You get felt up at the doctors office. There aren't that many complaints about that.

You submit to that, and it's for a good reason...The TSA have no right to do what they do....

And you submit to going to the airport as well. Nobody is forcing you to go.

I've never had a problem of getting felt up from the TSA, and though the security at my university was significantly worse for events than the TSA ever was.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:48:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"The TSA violates your rights by strip searching you!!!"

Has anybody here actually been ever strip searched? I have never once had to go through an actual pat down and ive been to the airport a couple dozen times.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
LeafRod
Posts: 1,548
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:51:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Somehow I don't think the experiences you "remember from when you were little," despite never having been on an international flight, from what was probably a significantly different era of airport security, are a sufficient basis for claiming that private air security is more efficient. Maybe you feel that they would be a better alternate at this point in time than the TSA - fine.

By the way, 9/11-scale terrorist attacks: Private companies - 1, TSA - 0?

http://www.nytimes.com...

"Airlines or airports used to have private security companies to screen passengers. But questions were raised in 2001, after the attacks of Sept. 11, and federal inquires found that many private companies had hired untrained security guards. The T.S.A. was established, taking over screening at all airports."
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 12:56:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 12:51:33 PM, LeafRod wrote:
Somehow I don't think the experiences you "remember from when you were little," despite never having been on an international flight, from what was probably a significantly different era of airport security, are a sufficient basis for claiming that private air security is more efficient. Maybe you feel that they would be a better alternate at this point in time than the TSA - fine.

By the way, 9/11-scale terrorist attacks: Private companies - 1, TSA - 0?

http://www.nytimes.com...

"Airlines or airports used to have private security companies to screen passengers. But questions were raised in 2001, after the attacks of Sept. 11, and federal inquires found that many private companies had hired untrained security guards. The T.S.A. was established, taking over screening at all airports."

I've never flown internationally. Never said that the TSA was more efficient. Just I haven't had any problems with the TSA security.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 1:09:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 12:38:17 PM, Magicr wrote:
Right, so lets take a look at the choice we face regarding the TSA.

One option is to decide that the TSA's practices are extreme violations of privacy, and therefore they should lessen their procedures, allowing armed terrorists to gain access to airplanes more easily. This choice places the freedom to one's privacy above many people's lives.

The other option is to maintain the services the TSA provides which make it virtually impossible for someone to sneak a weapon onto a plane, thus saving lives. This choice places people's lives above their freedom to absolute privacy.

Freedoms are useless if we are not alive, therefore the second option definitely is the logical one.

That logic is horrible. You might as well say that freedoms are useless if we are not alive, and hence the government has the responsible of providing for everybody from cradle to grave, installing cameras in everybody's bedrooms to make sure that nobody is planning any terrorist activities, search random people on the street, and etc....

If you are running that argument, then it's important to prove that the marginal benefit from one more unit of protection exceeds the marginal cost of one less unit of privacy.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 1:10:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 12:38:17 PM, Magicr wrote:
Right, so lets take a look at the choice we face regarding the TSA.

One option is to decide that the TSA's practices are extreme violations of privacy, and therefore they should lessen their procedures, allowing armed terrorists to gain access to airplanes more easily. This choice places the freedom to one's privacy above many people's lives.

The other option is to maintain the services the TSA provides which make it virtually impossible for someone to sneak a weapon onto a plane, thus saving lives. This choice places people's lives above their freedom to absolute privacy.

Freedoms are useless if we are not alive, therefore the second option definitely is the logical one.

I would rather die free than live in a big brother state.

And, you could use that to justify anything.

"Well, lets see, cars cause people to die in accidents. Therefore, outlaw cars."

"Smoking kills people, therefore outlaw smoking."

"Sugars and sweets are bad for you ans shorten your livespan, therefore, outlaw them."
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
LeafRod
Posts: 1,548
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 1:35:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 12:56:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I've never flown internationally. Never said that the TSA was more efficient. Just I haven't had any problems with the TSA security.

What? I didn't say you said the TSA was more efficient. I said that you had no basis for your claim that privately run companies would be more efficient.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 1:40:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 1:35:45 PM, LeafRod wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:56:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I've never flown internationally. Never said that the TSA was more efficient. Just I haven't had any problems with the TSA security.

What? I didn't say you said the TSA was more efficient. I said that you had no basis for your claim that privately run companies would be more efficient.

Compare the TSA budget and the privately run airport security, and you can see the difference.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Magicr
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 1:55:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 1:09:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:38:17 PM, Magicr wrote:
Right, so lets take a look at the choice we face regarding the TSA.

One option is to decide that the TSA's practices are extreme violations of privacy, and therefore they should lessen their procedures, allowing armed terrorists to gain access to airplanes more easily. This choice places the freedom to one's privacy above many people's lives.

The other option is to maintain the services the TSA provides which make it virtually impossible for someone to sneak a weapon onto a plane, thus saving lives. This choice places people's lives above their freedom to absolute privacy.

Freedoms are useless if we are not alive, therefore the second option definitely is the logical one.

That logic is horrible. You might as well say that freedoms are useless if we are not alive, and hence the government has the responsible of providing for everybody from cradle to grave, installing cameras in everybody's bedrooms to make sure that nobody is planning any terrorist activities, search random people on the street, and etc....


You are completely stretching my point. If we are going to extremes, why not just abolish police departments because they are going to infringe on freedoms? My point is that the actions of the TSA for the most part do not infringe on people's freedoms enough to warrant more deaths.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 2:13:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 1:55:46 PM, Magicr wrote:
At 9/9/2012 1:09:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:38:17 PM, Magicr wrote:
Right, so lets take a look at the choice we face regarding the TSA.

One option is to decide that the TSA's practices are extreme violations of privacy, and therefore they should lessen their procedures, allowing armed terrorists to gain access to airplanes more easily. This choice places the freedom to one's privacy above many people's lives.

The other option is to maintain the services the TSA provides which make it virtually impossible for someone to sneak a weapon onto a plane, thus saving lives. This choice places people's lives above their freedom to absolute privacy.

Freedoms are useless if we are not alive, therefore the second option definitely is the logical one.

That logic is horrible. You might as well say that freedoms are useless if we are not alive, and hence the government has the responsible of providing for everybody from cradle to grave, installing cameras in everybody's bedrooms to make sure that nobody is planning any terrorist activities, search random people on the street, and etc....


You are completely stretching my point. If we are going to extremes, why not just abolish police departments because they are going to infringe on freedoms?

I know what your original point was. However, the way you phrased it implied that rights and liberties shouldn't supersede security, and hence I took it to its logical conclusion.

My point is that the actions of the TSA for the most part do not infringe on people's freedoms enough to warrant more deaths.
Justify it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
quarterexchange
Posts: 1,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 2:33:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I fly several times a year, and I don't have any complaints about them. I don't think the TSA is very necessary and I don't think the government should fund airports let alone airport security but they haven't hampered by flying experience to any significant degree.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 3:34:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 12:38:17 PM, Magicr wrote:
Right, so lets take a look at the choice we face regarding the TSA.

One option is to decide that the TSA's practices are extreme violations of privacy, and therefore they should lessen their procedures, allowing armed terrorists to gain access to airplanes more easily. This choice places the freedom to one's privacy above many people's lives.

The other option is to maintain the services the TSA provides which make it virtually impossible for someone to sneak a weapon onto a plane, thus saving lives. This choice places people's lives above their freedom to absolute privacy.

Freedoms are useless if we are not alive, therefore the second option definitely is the logical one.

DUDE! GREATEST IDEA EVAR!!!

The government should just lock up all of us in separate cells, and not allow us to see another human at any point. They can bring us all our food, clothes, entertainment, whatever... but nobody will ever be able to hurt anyone else again!!!!!!!!!!

WIN LOGIC R WIN!!!!!
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Magicr
Posts: 135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 3:42:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/9/2012 3:34:55 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 9/9/2012 12:38:17 PM, Magicr wrote:
Right, so lets take a look at the choice we face regarding the TSA.

One option is to decide that the TSA's practices are extreme violations of privacy, and therefore they should lessen their procedures, allowing armed terrorists to gain access to airplanes more easily. This choice places the freedom to one's privacy above many people's lives.

The other option is to maintain the services the TSA provides which make it virtually impossible for someone to sneak a weapon onto a plane, thus saving lives. This choice places people's lives above their freedom to absolute privacy.

Freedoms are useless if we are not alive, therefore the second option definitely is the logical one.

DUDE! GREATEST IDEA EVAR!!!

The government should just lock up all of us in separate cells, and not allow us to see another human at any point. They can bring us all our food, clothes, entertainment, whatever... but nobody will ever be able to hurt anyone else again!!!!!!!!!!

WIN LOGIC R WIN!!!!!

Another exaggerated straw man of my point. A minor inconvenience if one chooses to fly and the spending of a little bit of federal money is worth saved lives.