Jump to topic:

Ron Paul is an opportunist

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:05:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I use to support the guy, but I now realize he is an opportunist. He has his sights set on the Presidency, and he won't stop until he gets it. His determination to seize power has lead to the sabotage of the libertarian cause. If he truly cared about libertarianism, and not about seizing power, he would put decreasing the size of government above increasing his own power. Instead he splits the Republican vote, helping a fascist-Democrat get reelected. I have lost all respect for the guy.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 1:49:50 PM
At 9/10/2012 1:05:09 PM, DanT wrote:
I use to support the guy, but I now realize he is an opportunist. He has his sights set on the Presidency, and he won't stop until he gets it. His determination to seize power has lead to the sabotage of the libertarian cause. If he truly cared about libertarianism, and not about seizing power, he would put decreasing the size of government above increasing his own power.

That is an absurd statement. He's not just trying to be President, he's fighting for liberty. He knows he has an impossible chance of winning, yet he continues to work hard to spread his message despite knowing he list the general election.

Instead he splits the Republican vote, helping a fascist-Democrat get reelected. I have lost all respect for the guy.

He takes votes from both sides equally.
Romney and Obama have the SAME policies and are both funded by the same people. Why can't you understand that.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:24:25 PM
At 9/10/2012 1:49:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I use to support the guy, but I now realize he is an opportunist. He has his sights set on the Presidency, and he won't stop until he gets it. His determination to seize power has lead to the sabotage of the libertarian cause. If he truly cared about libertarianism, and not about seizing power, he would put decreasing the size of government above increasing his own power.

That is an absurd statement. He's not just trying to be President, he's fighting for liberty. He knows he has an impossible chance of winning, yet he continues to work hard to spread his message despite knowing he list the general election.

He says he's fighting for liberty. Really he is more concerned about his own political career.
Instead he splits the Republican vote, helping a fascist-Democrat get reelected. I have lost all respect for the guy.

He takes votes from both sides equally.
Romney and Obama have the SAME policies and are both funded by the same people. Why can't you understand that.

Wanna debate me on that?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 2:55:49 PM
I use to support the guy, but I now realize he is an opportunist. He has his sights set on the Presidency, and he won't stop until he gets it. His determination to seize power has lead to the sabotage of the libertarian cause.

I'm trying to hold back calling you an incompetent cretin. Oh, crap, there it goes... It is an open secret that Ron Paul's campaign was really about education all along. And in that regard, Ron Paul's campaign was wildly successful. Chances are, any young libertarian you meet today will tell you that their chief influence in becoming a libertarian was Ron Paul. Ron Paul has swelled the ranks of the liberty movement to a greater extent than perhaps any other individual in history. If that's not success, I don't know what is.
http://mises.org...

If he truly cared about libertarianism, and not about seizing power, he would put decreasing the size of government above increasing his own power. Instead he splits the Republican vote, helping a fascist-Democrat get reelected. I have lost all respect for the guy.

Romney = Obama, and as jat wrote in one thread, Obama is actually closer to a Libertarian than Romney. The point is the candidates are identical shills for corporations, so it doesn't matter who gets elected. Without Ron Paul campaigning in this election and getting involved in debates and interviews, many people would not have become Libertarians/Anarchists.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 3:53:02 PM
I use to support the guy, but I now realize he is an opportunist. He has his sights set on the Presidency, and he won't stop until he gets it. His determination to seize power has lead to the sabotage of the libertarian cause. If he truly cared about libertarianism, and not about seizing power, he would put decreasing the size of government above increasing his own power. Instead he splits the Republican vote, helping a fascist-Democrat get reelected. I have lost all respect for the guy.

You sir have earned 1000 Bench points and are much smarter then I ever gave you credit for

*hug*
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 6:12:22 PM
I use to support the guy, but I now realize he is an opportunist. He has his sights set on the Presidency, and he won't stop until he gets it.

I doubt he will run for President ever again. He ran for President 3 times. The vast majority of people who have a chance at getting the Presidency want it for the wrong reasons. However, the people who run to make a statement, and base their campaigns on ideas, even though they know it means they probably won't win, usually aren't looking for power. Take Ralph Nader who ran several times, and Eugene Debs who ran 4 times I think (once from prison!) Nader, Debs, and Paul were honest and principled and run to spread their ideas, which they believe in passionately, despite the extremely low chance either of them ever had at winning.

His determination to seize power has lead to the sabotage of the libertarian cause.

Have you seen Gary Johnson's popularity/appeal/name recognition/grassroots support campaigned to any libertarian candidate for the last several decades? Have you observed how in 2012 Ron Paul received double or triple the amount of votes he got in 2008 in most states? Have you noticed the influence Paul has had on the Republican conversation? All this talk about the Fed, the slight decrease in hawkishness/acceptability of a more non-interventionist foreign policy on fiscally responsibe grounds, the debt, out of control spending.... This stems from the Tea Party which started as a rally for Paul's campaign in 2007. Ron Paul is the best thing the libertarian movement has seen in... ever?

If he truly cared about libertarianism, and not about seizing power, he would put decreasing the size of government above increasing his own power. Instead he splits the Republican vote, helping a fascist-Democrat get reelected. I have lost all respect for the guy.

Ever consider that he doesn't think there's much of a difference between the policies that would result from electing either candidate? Do you really think Ron Paul doesn't care about libertarianism, the constitution, etc? This is a guy who has consistently voted for decades in line with the constitution, this is a guy who is an economics/history scholar, this is a guy who says what he believes regardless of the reaction his audience will give him. If there's one detriment Ron Paul has, it's certainly not that he cares more about his own power than advancing the libertarian movement.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 6:20:59 PM

Here's a good way to test your theory that Ron Paul cares more about seizing power in government than he does about advancing the ideals he supports.

If he were given a choice between a high ranking government position but no libertarian influence on policies, and having no personal influence on government but having the government enact libertarian policies, which do you think he would choose?

I don't have much doubt that Ron Paul would rather be an average citizen in a society where the government implemented libertarian ideas on domestic, foreign, fiscal policies than be a government workers in a society where government is anything but libertarian. Say what you will about him but one thing that can't reasonably be denied is that this guy freaking cares about his message.

For decades, Ron Paul was a lone voice in Congress (or close to it) for fiscal sanity, non-interventionism, and civil liberties. In the last 5 years he has received recognition for it, but for about 30 years he didn't, and yet he went on speaking passionately against the status quo, and being totally ignored or ridiculed by it (usually ignored because noone even had to ridicule him.) Do you think it was fun for him to put so much time and effort into these causes and consistently be ignored for decades? Clearly he is a man of ideals, not hungry for power.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 6:44:23 PM
At 9/10/2012 3:53:02 PM, imabench wrote:

You sir have earned 1000 Bench points and are much smarter then I ever gave you credit for

*hug*

really? I thought this was a pretty bad comment. Ron Paul is an honest person that cares more about his core beliefs than party politics. That DanT actually believes that Mitt Romney will reduce the size of government is the dumbest belief he's ever announced....and THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 6:53:32 PM
At 9/10/2012 6:44:23 PM, 000ike wrote:

*hug*

really? I thought this was a pretty bad comment. Ron Paul is an honest person that cares more about his core beliefs than party politics. That DanT actually believes that Mitt Romney will reduce the size of government is the dumbest belief he's ever announced....and THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING.

If he got rid of Obamacare, thats like 30% less government, maybe more. Hyperbole, but still.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:00:21 PM

*hug*

I don't think he said Romney will be the best ever, I think he is saying Paul is hurting the election and Romney is better then the alternative...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:01:22 PM

*hug*

+100
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:04:16 PM
At 9/10/2012 6:53:32 PM, OberHerr wrote:

*hug*

If he got rid of Obamacare, thats like 30% less government, maybe more. Hyperbole, but still.

lmao you mean the healthcare policy he pioneered,....and then revoked when the campaign started and then eventually said he'd FULLY repeal since the general election started...that he JUST TODAY flipflopped on and said, you know what, he'll keep some parts of it?...That's who you trust to reduce government? The guy who opposes the withdrawal from Iraq and opposes the waning down on Afghanistan? The guy who thinks that government should stop women from having abortion?

THAT is who you trust to reduce government? lol This is why I think many Libertarians are just partisan zealots in disguise. No one with even the slightest genuine opposition to government intervention will EVER so much as consider voting for Mitt Romney. Any Libertarian that does is irredeemably stupid. (I'm a lot more offensive today for some reason, I don't really mean it that harshly)
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:08:12 PM

Yeah how exactly are democrats fascist?
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:10:06 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:04:16 PM, 000ike wrote:

*hug*

lmao you mean the healthcare policy he pioneered,....and then revoked when the campaign started and then eventually said he'd FULLY repeal since the general election started...that he JUST TODAY flipflopped on and said, you know what, he'll keep some parts of it?...That's who you trust to reduce government? The guy who opposes the withdrawal from Iraq and opposes the waning down on Afghanistan? The guy who thinks that government should stop women from having abortion?

THAT is who you trust to reduce government? lol This is why I think many Libertarians are just partisan zealots in disguise. No one with even the slightest genuine opposition to government intervention will EVER so much as consider voting for Mitt Romney. Any Libertarian that does is irredeemably stupid. (I'm a lot more offensive today for some reason, I don't really mean it that harshly)

Well, I'm partially Libertarian, Partially Conservative.

But one thing I hate to let govern me is what "Libertarians/Conservatives are supposed to do."

I choose stuff cause my own goddamn opinion on it, NOT because someone says this is against Libertarian ideals.

And, I don't really care about flipflopping, as long as its genuine opinion change, with Romney, I dunno which, but I know hes a better candidate than Obama, so I don't really care that much. And, for me, keeping woman from having an abortion translates to, keeping people from killing innocent babies, so I think government can regulate that.

And, none of your points addressed how he would increase government more than Obama.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:10:47 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:08:12 PM, rogue wrote:

He called Obama fascist, not the party.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:15:08 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:10:06 PM, OberHerr wrote:

*hug*

But one thing I hate to let govern me is what "Libertarians/Conservatives are supposed to do."

I choose stuff cause my own goddamn opinion on it, NOT because someone says this is against Libertarian ideals.

And, I don't really care about flipflopping, as long as its genuine opinion change, with Romney, I dunno which, but I know hes a better candidate than Obama, so I don't really care that much. And, for me, keeping woman from having an abortion translates to, keeping people from killing innocent babies, so I think government can regulate that.

And, none of your points addressed how he would increase government more than Obama.

No. My point is that Romney will not change ANYTHING. He is a spineless symptom of the status quo, AMPLIFIED since he has demonstrated no core political beliefs of his own. I'm willing to admit that Obama's flip flop on gay marriage had political motivations, now you should definitely be able to do the same. Romney has switched beliefs WHENEVER IT WAS EXPEDIENT. That should tell you that they aren't honest changes, if the frequency of change didn't already clue you in.

All I'm getting from you is that you just think Romney will be better because he has a little (R) by his name, standing for Republican. If you value freedom in any sense, that isn't the case, and don't pretend like it is.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:18:43 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:15:08 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/10/2012 7:10:06 PM, OberHerr wrote:

*hug*

No. My point is that Romney will not change ANYTHING. He is a spineless symptom of the status quo, AMPLIFIED since he has demonstrated no core political beliefs of his own. I'm willing to admit that Obama's flip flop on gay marriage had political motivations, now you should definitely be able to do the same. Romney has switched beliefs WHENEVER IT WAS EXPEDIENT. That should tell you that they aren't honest changes, if the frequency of change didn't already clue you in.

All I'm getting from you is that you just think Romney will be better because he has a little (R) by his name, standing for Republican. If you value freedom in any sense, that isn't the case, and don't pretend like it is.

I know that 1) He knows a hell of a lot more about how to fix things like our economy more than Obama. 2) I'll concede he flip flopped probably for political motivations. 3) He holds several of my core beliefs, like illegializing abortion, "You built that" mentality, ect.

Not to mention Obama has done squat to actually help the economy, besides throwing a couple trillion at it hoping it will help.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:23:51 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:18:43 PM, OberHerr wrote:
He holds several of my core beliefs, like illegializing abortion

Dude he was FOR abortion before he was against it, before he was for it, before he was against it! WHAT CORE BELIEFS???
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:27:47 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:08:12 PM, rogue wrote:

I'm getting really sick of repeating myself. If you want I can debate you.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:28:37 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:23:51 PM, 000ike wrote:

Dude he was FOR abortion before he was against it, before he was for it, before he was against it! WHAT CORE BELIEFS???

He was pro-life in 1988
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:29:52 PM

*hug*

Seconded
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:32:29 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:28:37 PM, DanT wrote:

He was pro-life in 1988

and again in 2002 - a belief he sustained up until this election cycle.

Nice try though
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:45:03 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:32:29 PM, 000ike wrote:

He was pro-life in 1988

Nice try though

Wait are you saying 2002 was before 1988?
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:47:37 PM
000ike, how dare you say that Mitt Romney won't change the status quo.

I believe that he will pass some tax cuts, as well as explode the deficit, while making massive cuts in spending ranging around $30 or so billion. (end sarcasm)
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:48:51 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:45:03 PM, DanT wrote:

He was pro-life in 1988

Nice try though

Oh, I thought you said pro-choice. I misread. Regardless, he's flipped too many times for it to be honest....and he's also flipped whenever it was politically expedient, which should be the giveaway.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 7:54:21 PM
Regardless, if an opportunist is willing to take a hatchet to the US government where it needs it most, I'd support him.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 8:31:35 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:54:21 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Regardless, if an opportunist is willing to take a hatchet to the US government where it needs it most, I'd support him.

Than you are in the minority, and he has successfully under minded the very cause you are supporting.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 8:33:32 PM
At 9/10/2012 7:48:51 PM, 000ike wrote:

He was pro-life in 1988

Nice try though

Oh, I thought you said pro-choice. I misread. Regardless, he's flipped too many times for it to be honest....and he's also flipped whenever it was politically expedient, which should be the giveaway.

My point exactly. Flip flopping that much is a sure sign of an opportunist. He is trying to appeal to the voters.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 8:36:27 PM
At 9/10/2012 8:33:32 PM, DanT wrote:

He was pro-life in 1988

Nice try though

My point exactly. Flip flopping that much is a sure sign of an opportunist. He is trying to appeal to the voters.

... So who do you want to vote for???
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 9:10:45 PM
At 9/10/2012 8:36:27 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 9/10/2012 8:33:32 PM, DanT wrote:

He was pro-life in 1988

Nice try though

... So who do you want to vote for???

Romney; out of the 2 people with an actual chance, he is the most individualist.