Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

Wind energy good or bad

Justin_Thiel
Posts: 87
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 1:49:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Definitely good. How could an invention that gives people the freedom to independently harness their own electrons be bad? Freedom from the fascist system of slavery we live in today is always good in my book. The only people not in favor of it are the people making money off of the energy slavery or the people who are brainwashed by those people. That's my opinion.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 1:52:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
absolutely bad. Wind energy existed in the 16th century and we replaced it because it was such a lousy form of energy. Don't see how it will be any better today.

Your relying on a form of energy that is too sporadic, and undependable.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Justin_Thiel
Posts: 87
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 2:21:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 1:52:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
absolutely bad. Wind energy existed in the 16th century and we replaced it because it was such a lousy form of energy. Don't see how it will be any better today.

Your relying on a form of energy that is too sporadic, and undependable.

So how is it bad? Just because their are better more efficient options? I don't think that rationally qualifies it to be "bad". Please elaborate.

Also, I'm not dependent on wind energy personally. Why not let the free market decide what is relevant? You say it is "bad" and outdated? Then why are new designs being put on the market constantly and why are people still purchasing these products?

I find many holes in your argument my friend. Please explain the logic behind your position.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 2:28:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 2:21:16 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
At 9/14/2012 1:52:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
absolutely bad. Wind energy existed in the 16th century and we replaced it because it was such a lousy form of energy. Don't see how it will be any better today.

Your relying on a form of energy that is too sporadic, and undependable.

So how is it bad? Just because their are better more efficient options? I don't think that rationally qualifies it to be "bad". Please elaborate.

Why spend more money on electricity?

Also, I'm not dependent on wind energy personally. Why not let the free market decide what is relevant? You say it is "bad" and outdated? Then why are new designs being put on the market constantly and why are people still purchasing these products?

Because the government subsidizes wind energy....
There's no way that wind energy can win. Wind is too unpredictable. Imagine not having electricity because "Oh, it turns out that the wind wasn't blowing today".

I find many holes in your argument my friend. Please explain the logic behind your position.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Justin_Thiel
Posts: 87
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 2:52:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 2:28:58 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 2:21:16 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
At 9/14/2012 1:52:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
absolutely bad. Wind energy existed in the 16th century and we replaced it because it was such a lousy form of energy. Don't see how it will be any better today.

Your relying on a form of energy that is too sporadic, and undependable.

So how is it bad? Just because their are better more efficient options? I don't think that rationally qualifies it to be "bad". Please elaborate.

Why spend more money on electricity?

Who is spending more money? I can build or buy a wind turbine and it can provide me with electrons to use for years with light maintenance. Either way, it still doesn't qualify wind power as being "bad". There are huge amounts of wind farms that are extremely efficient at producing consistent electricity.

Why use dirty unrenewable fossil fuels? It's a personal choice.. Let the market decide.


Also, I'm not dependent on wind energy personally. Why not let the free market decide what is relevant? You say it is "bad" and outdated? Then why are new designs being put on the market constantly and why are people still purchasing these products?

Because the government subsidizes wind energy....
There's no way that wind energy can win. Wind is too unpredictable. Imagine not having electricity because "Oh, it turns out that the wind wasn't blowing today".

Take the government out of it and there are still plenty of situations and geographical areas that benefit from wind energy. There are areas where the wind blows more consistent than oil being pumped. The wind will blow forever.. Fossil fuels will eventually run out.

I support any energy production that is clean and that people can harness independently. Can I go in my backyard and pump/refine oil out of the ground? I think not. Wind is logically more efficient when you think about it's application in a variety of situations. Fossil fuels are controlled solely by large corporations and it is unhealthy for biological life and the environment in general.

If you do not support fossil fuels, then I apologize for my rant. But if you do, then you are a corporate slave. You will only get to use their electrons when and if they say. I can build a wind turbine from parts in a junk yard. That's the difference.

Wind energy is good. No doubt.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 3:05:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 2:52:20 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
At 9/14/2012 2:28:58 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 2:21:16 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
At 9/14/2012 1:52:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
absolutely bad. Wind energy existed in the 16th century and we replaced it because it was such a lousy form of energy. Don't see how it will be any better today.

Your relying on a form of energy that is too sporadic, and undependable.

So how is it bad? Just because their are better more efficient options? I don't think that rationally qualifies it to be "bad". Please elaborate.

Why spend more money on electricity?

Who is spending more money? I can build or buy a wind turbine and it can provide me with electrons to use for years with light maintenance. Either way, it still doesn't qualify wind power as being "bad". There are huge amounts of wind farms that are extremely efficient at producing consistent electricity.

Really? You building your wind turbine will be most cost effective then grid electricity? I find that to be unlikely.

Why use dirty unrenewable fossil fuels? It's a personal choice.. Let the market decide.


Also, I'm not dependent on wind energy personally. Why not let the free market decide what is relevant? You say it is "bad" and outdated? Then why are new designs being put on the market constantly and why are people still purchasing these products?

Because the government subsidizes wind energy....
There's no way that wind energy can win. Wind is too unpredictable. Imagine not having electricity because "Oh, it turns out that the wind wasn't blowing today".

Take the government out of it and there are still plenty of situations and geographical areas that benefit from wind energy.

The government is the one subsidizing the wind energy in the first place. Why do you think taking government out of the way will cause wind energy to increase?

There are areas where the wind blows more consistent than oil being pumped. The wind will blow forever.. Fossil fuels will eventually run out.

Coal is usually the many source of electric energy, and we have at least hundreds of years worth of coal around. If there are energy substitutes, it would come in the form of nuclear energy: first fission then fusion.

I support any energy production that is clean and that people can harness independently. Can I go in my backyard and pump/refine oil out of the ground? I think not. Wind is logically more efficient when you think about it's application in a variety of situations. Fossil fuels are controlled solely by large corporations and it is unhealthy for biological life and the environment in general.

Its not as if the metal from the wind turbine isn't mined?

If you do not support fossil fuels, then I apologize for my rant. But if you do, then you are a corporate slave. You will only get to use their electrons when and if they say. I can build a wind turbine from parts in a junk yard. That's the difference.

How am I a corporate slave? The fact that coal beats out all forms of energy since its cheaper to produce. The fact that green energy is subsidized way more than fossil fuel are. Fossil fuels are used mainly for cars in the form of petroleum, not electricity which is usually coal based.

Wind energy is good. No doubt.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Justin_Thiel
Posts: 87
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 3:35:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 3:05:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 2:52:20 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
At 9/14/2012 2:28:58 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 2:21:16 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
At 9/14/2012 1:52:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
absolutely bad. Wind energy existed in the 16th century and we replaced it because it was such a lousy form of energy. Don't see how it will be any better today.

Your relying on a form of energy that is too sporadic, and undependable.

So how is it bad? Just because their are better more efficient options? I don't think that rationally qualifies it to be "bad". Please elaborate.

Why spend more money on electricity?

Who is spending more money? I can build or buy a wind turbine and it can provide me with electrons to use for years with light maintenance. Either way, it still doesn't qualify wind power as being "bad". There are huge amounts of wind farms that are extremely efficient at producing consistent electricity.

Really? You building your wind turbine will be most cost effective then grid electricity? I find that to be unlikely.

I said build or buy. It can be more cost effective in certain situations. Also, if the system collapses or oil runs out.. What technology is more useful to you? What if you can't get gas/oil and need electricity or you live far off grid? It has plenty of usefulness.


Why use dirty unrenewable fossil fuels? It's a personal choice.. Let the market decide.


Also, I'm not dependent on wind energy personally. Why not let the free market decide what is relevant? You say it is "bad" and outdated? Then why are new designs being put on the market constantly and why are people still purchasing these products?

Because the government subsidizes wind energy....
There's no way that wind energy can win. Wind is too unpredictable. Imagine not having electricity because "Oh, it turns out that the wind wasn't blowing today".

Take the government out of it and there are still plenty of situations and geographical areas that benefit from wind energy.

The government is the one subsidizing the wind energy in the first place. Why do you think taking government out of the way will cause wind energy to increase?

There are areas where the wind blows more consistent than oil being pumped. The wind will blow forever.. Fossil fuels will eventually run out.

Coal is usually the many source of electric energy, and we have at least hundreds of years worth of coal around. If there are energy substitutes, it would come in the form of nuclear energy: first fission then fusion.

Hundreds of years?? Says who? And do you control your own personal supply of coal and refining equipment? I think not. Wind technology gives an individual the power to harness their own electricity free from corporate dependency. Wind wins over oil any day in my book.


I support any energy production that is clean and that people can harness independently. Can I go in my backyard and pump/refine oil out of the ground? I think not. Wind is logically more efficient when you think about it's application in a variety of situations. Fossil fuels are controlled solely by large corporations and it is unhealthy for biological life and the environment in general.

Its not as if the metal from the wind turbine isn't mined?

Who is against mining raw metal here? Not me. The argument is wind power.

If you do not support fossil fuels, then I apologize for my rant. But if you do, then you are a corporate slave. You will only get to use their electrons when and if they say. I can build a wind turbine from parts in a junk yard. That's the difference.

How am I a corporate slave? The fact that coal beats out all forms of energy since its cheaper to produce. The fact that green energy is subsidized way more than fossil fuel are. Fossil fuels are used mainly for cars in the form of petroleum, not electricity which is usually

You are a corporate slave because you depend on a corporation for the energy that sustains your life/lifestyle.

Fossil fuels only cost less in the current market that is controlled by certain game players. A calorie per minute per ounce of raw material being used and produced equation can show that green energy is far more efficient mathematically.

Take out the current monetary system and the game players who control it... Do a long term analysis of raw material usage to energy production ratio and you will see how truly inefficient fossil fuels really are. Fossil fuels did far more damage the human civilization than good. Now we have an overpopulated concrete jungle powered by factories in an environment saturated in pollution... All thanks to fossil fuels.

Corporate fossil fuel consumers are corporate energy slaves... For if you don't obey their demands they can punish you by cutting off your access to the energy you want or need.
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 4:22:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Wind energy is not more efficient.
1. Cost efficient.
This place in MI states the average cost is $32,000. I don't know how much energy I use, but if this were to eliminate my energy bill, it would take over 22 years for me to break even ($32K/119.80, average bill over last 8 months, includes water, not gas). This is assuming I am completely off the grid, pay no interest, zero maintainence, and electric prices stay the same.

It also states that just because you have this system, doesn't mean you won't be a slave to corporate energy.

http://www.superiorwindturbines.com...

2. Effiecient use of resources

For me to be off the grid, I need to have a 80-ft eyesore in my backyard, and so will everyone else. This takes away green space in residential neighborhoods, not to mention any noise they make.

The point is land use. To power NYC, you would need a windfarm 1,600 square miles large, with 4,000 turbines. The site would be over three times larger than the city itself. Granted this is due to density, but if one turbine may power one house, wind energy is not an efficient use of land, is it?

http://engineering.mit.edu...
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 4:29:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Wind energy can bill undoubtedly a good investment in areas with high wind patterns, such as the Great Lakes or other major coastlines.

But subsidizing one industry over other has various problems. First, it doesn't create jobs per say, as the cost of subsidies are taken from other industries. Zero sum fallacy.

Second, it hides the true cost of how much the energy costs regarding the price of the initial investment. One will have a greater reason to purchase wind with a subsidized price, even though the supply won't permit it and will have a threat of causing shortages. Wind energy is not particularly efficient either, as it may or may not be windy outside.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 4:38:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 3:35:30 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
At 9/14/2012 3:05:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 2:52:20 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
At 9/14/2012 2:28:58 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 2:21:16 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
At 9/14/2012 1:52:31 PM, darkkermit wrote:
absolutely bad. Wind energy existed in the 16th century and we replaced it because it was such a lousy form of energy. Don't see how it will be any better today.

Your relying on a form of energy that is too sporadic, and undependable.

So how is it bad? Just because their are better more efficient options? I don't think that rationally qualifies it to be "bad". Please elaborate.

Why spend more money on electricity?

Who is spending more money? I can build or buy a wind turbine and it can provide me with electrons to use for years with light maintenance. Either way, it still doesn't qualify wind power as being "bad". There are huge amounts of wind farms that are extremely efficient at producing consistent electricity.

Really? You building your wind turbine will be most cost effective then grid electricity? I find that to be unlikely.

I said build or buy. It can be more cost effective in certain situations. Also, if the system collapses or oil runs out..

Okay, let me explain this to you. Power plants run on COAL. Only a small fraction of electrical energy comes from fossil fuel (natural gas)

http://depletedcranium.com...

What technology is more useful to you? What if you can't get gas/oil and need electricity or you live far off grid? It has plenty of usefulness.

If you live off the grid, then you run into the problem of the wind not blowing. Also, If you live off the grid, how do you provide yourself for anything? General you want to live in some sort of civilization because you can buy stuff for survival. You know stuff like food. Find yourself a place to work.


Why use dirty unrenewable fossil fuels? It's a personal choice.. Let the market decide.


Also, I'm not dependent on wind energy personally. Why not let the free market decide what is relevant? You say it is "bad" and outdated? Then why are new designs being put on the market constantly and why are people still purchasing these products?

Because the government subsidizes wind energy....
There's no way that wind energy can win. Wind is too unpredictable. Imagine not having electricity because "Oh, it turns out that the wind wasn't blowing today".

Take the government out of it and there are still plenty of situations and geographical areas that benefit from wind energy.

The government is the one subsidizing the wind energy in the first place. Why do you think taking government out of the way will cause wind energy to increase?

There are areas where the wind blows more consistent than oil being pumped. The wind will blow forever.. Fossil fuels will eventually run out.

Coal is usually the many source of electric energy, and we have at least hundreds of years worth of coal around. If there are energy substitutes, it would come in the form of nuclear energy: first fission then fusion.

Hundreds of years?? Says who?

Peak coal theory:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com...

And do you control your own personal supply of coal and refining equipment? I think not. Wind technology gives an individual the power to harness their own electricity free from corporate dependency. Wind wins over oil any day in my book.



Do you hunt/farm your own food? Did you build your own house? What about obtain the raw materials? Did you build the computer, and obtain the raw materials for your computer? Are you writing on a platform you built yourself?

Unless you actually live in the jungle naked, your just being a hypocrite. And why would I want that? There are so many more benefits from trade.


I support any energy production that is clean and that people can harness independently. Can I go in my backyard and pump/refine oil out of the ground? I think not. Wind is logically more efficient when you think about it's application in a variety of situations. Fossil fuels are controlled solely by large corporations and it is unhealthy for biological life and the environment in general.

Its not as if the metal from the wind turbine isn't mined?

Who is against mining raw metal here? Not me. The argument is wind power.

Your against "unclean energy". Mining is "unclean". which I assumed was your initial complaint. But so what if the coal and nuclear plants pollute. The amount of "health harm" from air population you get from it is negligible.


If you do not support fossil fuels, then I apologize for my rant. But if you do, then you are a corporate slave. You will only get to use their electrons when and if they say. I can build a wind turbine from parts in a junk yard. That's the difference.

How am I a corporate slave? The fact that coal beats out all forms of energy since its cheaper to produce. The fact that green energy is subsidized way more than fossil fuel are. Fossil fuels are used mainly for cars in the form of petroleum, not electricity which is usually

You are a corporate slave because you depend on a corporation for the energy that sustains your life/lifestyle.

And you rely on them for food, water, shelter, health, etc. Like I said, this is an interdependent world that relies on trade. Whose to say the corporation isn't a slave to me, because it relies on me for income.

Fossil fuels only cost less in the current market that is controlled by certain game players. A calorie per minute per ounce of raw material being used and produced equation can show that green energy is far more efficient mathematically.

Take out the current monetary system and the game players who control it... Do a long term analysis of raw material usage to energy production ratio and you will see how truly inefficient fossil fuels really are. Fossil fuels did far more damage the human civilization than good.

Except industrialization has improved the quality of life and modernization for everyone. Pre-industrial societes weren't that great.

Now we have an overpopulated concrete jungle powered by factories in an environment saturated in pollution... All thanks to fossil fuels.

Tell me, are you scared to breath the air when you go outside your house?

Corporate fossil fuel consumers are corporate energy slaves... For if you don't obey their demands they can punish you by cutting off your access to the energy you want or need.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 9:04:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I like the potential wind energy has. Its already cheaper then nuclear and much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 9:59:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 9:04:31 PM, imabench wrote:
I like the potential wind energy has. Its already cheaper then nuclear and much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

http://upload.wikimedia.org...

bs on the nuclear part.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 10:21:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 10:05:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Some sources from the great roylatham on wind energy:

http://factspluslogic.com...

http://factspluslogic.com...

Do you realize how out dated his sources are, when he uses them at all?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 10:22:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 10:21:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:05:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Some sources from the great roylatham on wind energy:

http://factspluslogic.com...

http://factspluslogic.com...

Do you realize how out dated his sources are, when he uses them at all?

What has changed so much in the past few years that would invalidate these sources? The logic is still the same.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 10:29:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 10:22:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:21:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:05:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Some sources from the great roylatham on wind energy:

http://factspluslogic.com...

http://factspluslogic.com...

Do you realize how out dated his sources are, when he uses them at all?

What has changed so much in the past few years that would invalidate these sources? The logic is still the same.

Nope, sorry DarkFroggie. Your information is old, and wrong, and erroneous, and bad.

It's up to you to find out why though... apparently.

I honestly don't know what current costs are, but there are problems with wind.

"Green" energies take up huge amounts of space. Let's go green by kicking everyone out of Texas and turning it into one giant wind farm. Great idea, right?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 10:33:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 9:59:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:04:31 PM, imabench wrote:
I like the potential wind energy has. Its already cheaper then nuclear and much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

http://upload.wikimedia.org...

bs on the nuclear part.

F*ck, let me amend what I said before

I like the potential wind energy has. Its much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 10:34:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 10:29:24 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:22:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:21:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:05:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Some sources from the great roylatham on wind energy:

http://factspluslogic.com...

http://factspluslogic.com...

Do you realize how out dated his sources are, when he uses them at all?

What has changed so much in the past few years that would invalidate these sources? The logic is still the same.

Nope, sorry DarkFroggie. Your information is old, and wrong, and erroneous, and bad.

It's up to you to find out why though... apparently.

I honestly don't know what current costs are, but there are problems with wind.

"Green" energies take up huge amounts of space. Let's go green by kicking everyone out of Texas and turning it into one giant wind farm. Great idea, right?


Because thats completely how it works -__________-
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 10:38:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 10:33:32 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:59:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:04:31 PM, imabench wrote:
I like the potential wind energy has. Its already cheaper then nuclear and much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

http://upload.wikimedia.org...

bs on the nuclear part.

F*ck, let me amend what I said before

I like the potential wind energy has. Its much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

According to the Wikipedia, offshore wind is about 3 times the cost of nuclear.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 10:42:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 10:22:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:21:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:05:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Some sources from the great roylatham on wind energy:

http://factspluslogic.com...

http://factspluslogic.com...

Do you realize how out dated his sources are, when he uses them at all?

What has changed so much in the past few years that would invalidate these sources? The logic is still the same.

He claims that California has a smart grid cost of 19 cents per kwh (no source).

His numbers for solar, no sources, his numbers for just about anything have no sources.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 10:46:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 10:33:32 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:59:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:04:31 PM, imabench wrote:
I like the potential wind energy has. Its already cheaper then nuclear and much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

http://upload.wikimedia.org...

bs on the nuclear part.

F*ck, let me amend what I said before

I like the potential wind energy has. Its much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

I can see solar energy prices going down faster than wind energy though. There's really not much more you can do for lowering costs of wind farms (except for energy storage concerns, which will effect solar energy as well). There's a lot more that can be done in terms of cheapening the cost of solar panels and improving their efficiency.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 10:50:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 10:46:26 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:33:32 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:59:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:04:31 PM, imabench wrote:
I like the potential wind energy has. Its already cheaper then nuclear and much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

http://upload.wikimedia.org...

bs on the nuclear part.

F*ck, let me amend what I said before

I like the potential wind energy has. Its much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

I can see solar energy prices going down faster than wind energy though. There's really not much more you can do for lowering costs of wind farms (except for energy storage concerns, which will effect solar energy as well). There's a lot more that can be done in terms of cheapening the cost of solar panels and improving their efficiency.

Do you know that solar panels have already dropped about 33% in the last year alone?

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

That alone makes any numbers that are several years old invalid. Of course, his numbers were never sourced to begin with.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 10:56:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 10:50:29 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:46:26 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:33:32 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:59:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:04:31 PM, imabench wrote:
I like the potential wind energy has. Its already cheaper then nuclear and much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

http://upload.wikimedia.org...

bs on the nuclear part.

F*ck, let me amend what I said before

I like the potential wind energy has. Its much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

I can see solar energy prices going down faster than wind energy though. There's really not much more you can do for lowering costs of wind farms (except for energy storage concerns, which will effect solar energy as well). There's a lot more that can be done in terms of cheapening the cost of solar panels and improving their efficiency.

Do you know that solar panels have already dropped about 33% in the last year alone?

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

That alone makes any numbers that are several years old invalid. Of course, his numbers were never sourced to begin with.

F*ck F*ck dammit son of a f*cking b*tch let me try this again.

I like the potential wind energy has. Its much cheaper then solar as of right now, it can be mass produced faster than solar power, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 11:15:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 10:56:17 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:50:29 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:46:26 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:33:32 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:59:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:04:31 PM, imabench wrote:
I like the potential wind energy has. Its already cheaper then nuclear and much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

http://upload.wikimedia.org...

bs on the nuclear part.

F*ck, let me amend what I said before

I like the potential wind energy has. Its much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

I can see solar energy prices going down faster than wind energy though. There's really not much more you can do for lowering costs of wind farms (except for energy storage concerns, which will effect solar energy as well). There's a lot more that can be done in terms of cheapening the cost of solar panels and improving their efficiency.

Do you know that solar panels have already dropped about 33% in the last year alone?

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

That alone makes any numbers that are several years old invalid. Of course, his numbers were never sourced to begin with.

F*ck F*ck dammit son of a f*cking b*tch let me try this again.

I like the potential wind energy has. Its much cheaper then solar as of right now, it can be mass produced faster than solar power, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

Let me ruin this again.

http://science.howstuffworks.com...

Wind Turbines kill about 10 - 40k birds a year.

Windows kill over 100 million a year.

Power lines kill over 100 million a year.

Cats kill over 100 million a year.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2012 11:58:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/14/2012 11:15:08 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:56:17 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:50:29 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:46:26 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 10:33:32 PM, imabench wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:59:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/14/2012 9:04:31 PM, imabench wrote:
I like the potential wind energy has. Its already cheaper then nuclear and much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

http://upload.wikimedia.org...

bs on the nuclear part.

F*ck, let me amend what I said before

I like the potential wind energy has. Its much cheaper then solar, it can be mass produced pretty fast, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

I can see solar energy prices going down faster than wind energy though. There's really not much more you can do for lowering costs of wind farms (except for energy storage concerns, which will effect solar energy as well). There's a lot more that can be done in terms of cheapening the cost of solar panels and improving their efficiency.

Do you know that solar panels have already dropped about 33% in the last year alone?

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

That alone makes any numbers that are several years old invalid. Of course, his numbers were never sourced to begin with.

F*ck F*ck dammit son of a f*cking b*tch let me try this again.

I like the potential wind energy has. Its much cheaper then solar as of right now, it can be mass produced faster than solar power, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)

Let me ruin this again.

http://science.howstuffworks.com...

Wind Turbines kill about 10 - 40k birds a year.

Windows kill over 100 million a year.

Power lines kill over 100 million a year.

Cats kill over 100 million a year.

F*CKING DAMMIT MOTHER F*CKING F*CK ME UP THE F*CKING A** F*CKERS FROM F*CKING HELL, LET ME F*CKING REVISE WHAT I F*CKING SAID YET AGAIN

I like the potential wind energy has. Its much cheaper then solar as of right now, it can be mass produced faster than solar power, theres tons of space for it in the US in areas like the midwest, it kills birds (I hate birds) more than most other power sources, and it can even be used offshore cheaply (compared to other energy sources)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2012 12:21:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/15/2012 12:14:38 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Do I have the heart to do it again?

(do it, im lovin this, and i want to top my record of 20 f*cks in a single post)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015