Total Posts:74|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The US election, a view from Britain

brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:10:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Like most British people, I have the greatest admiration for the United States of America: its spectacular natural beauty; its vibrant culture and, most of all, its industrious, fair-minded and friendly people - and I am proud and grateful that Britain and America have enjoyed robust social and political ties for so many years.

That's why I was disappointed that, during his recent visit to Britain, the Republican US presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, took the opportunity to insult me, my country and my fellow citizens by suggesting that we would be incapable of staging a major sporting event such as the Olympic Games.

Since his visit, the Olympics have been and gone and have received international acclaim, proving Romney's comments were unfounded as well as misjudged.

I realise that the US is the world's only superpower and could survive quite easily in isolation from the international community, but Romney ought to realise that America's interests are best served by being civil with loyal allies abroad rather than needlessly insulting them.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:18:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This was stupid and you should feel stupid for posting this.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:22:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
70% of his foreign policy advisers are from the Bush Administration, stupidly enough. Romney attacked the president and Ryan attacked the secretary of state the same day that a U.S embassy was bombed and our ambassador to Libya was killed. It goes without saying, they are completely ignorant of foreign policy, and instead of them to keep the conversation on the economy, they keep inflaming the foreign policy conversation.

In combination with the Clint Eastwood bit at the RNC, Romney's inadequate speech, his massive blunder on the Libya situation, and Obama's sudden lead in the swing states of Ohio, Virginia, and Florida, I'd say that Romney is on a severe decline. Keep in mind that this is also the moment in 2008 when McCain went on the severe decline. You can see that here in the September 8-15 time period, that sudden huge diversion --> http://www.debate.org...

Long story short, Romney will not be the next president of the United States.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:25:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 10:18:45 AM, socialpinko wrote:
This was stupid and you should feel stupid for posting this.

No it wasn't. No he shouldn't.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:27:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Romney has a problem with speaking the truth even when doing so is politically incorrect. The massive screw up of the security arrangements for the Olympics were widely reported here, and Romney is an expert on organizing Olympics. Romney took charge of the failing Salt Lake City games and turned them into a success. He didn't say the London games would fail, he said there was a problem to be overcome. His remarks were well founded, there was a problem, and it was overcome.

Nonetheless, he should have have bowed to political correctness. There are times, like when your mother-in-law asks your opinion of something she has done, that it's best not to indulge in truth-speaking. Corporate executives like Romney have a habit of excessive truth-speaking, which is incompatible with diplomacy. He'll get used to it. Well, if he wins the election he'll get used to it.
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:29:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Romney is a problem solver more than a diplomat. All he did was comment on the situation, yet people take it as an attack.

Is the simple fact that there were problems to be looked at right before the olympics an attack? Did reality attack the UK?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:30:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 10:27:54 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Romney has a problem with speaking the truth even when doing so is politically incorrect. The massive screw up of the security arrangements for the Olympics were widely reported here, and Romney is an expert on organizing Olympics. Romney took charge of the failing Salt Lake City games and turned them into a success. He didn't say the London games would fail, he said there was a problem to be overcome. His remarks were well founded, there was a problem, and it was overcome.

Nonetheless, he should have have bowed to political correctness. There are times, like when your mother-in-law asks your opinion of something she has done, that it's best not to indulge in truth-speaking. Corporate executives like Romney have a habit of excessive truth-speaking, which is incompatible with diplomacy. He'll get used to it. Well, if he wins the election he'll get used to it.

Exactly... although I don't really have a problem with people paying more attention to reality than political correctness.

We need people who can solve problems more than people who can make everyone feel good by how they word things.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:57:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm guessing you are a member of the labour party.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 10:59:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 10:10:38 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
That's why I was disappointed that, during his recent visit to Britain, the Republican US presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, took the opportunity to insult me, my country and my fellow citizens by suggesting that we would be incapable of staging a major sporting event such as the Olympic Games.

People seemed to take massive offense to this. I could hardly tun on the TV without hearing something along the lines of "looks like Romney was wrong and we can do this just fine".
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 11:47:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 10:25:46 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/16/2012 10:18:45 AM, socialpinko wrote:
This was stupid and you should feel stupid for posting this.

No it wasn't. No he shouldn't.

I don't like Romney but all he did was mention some problems he thought he saw in how the event was being managed. Brian seems to turn "there might be a few problems from what I've seen" into "fvcking Brits don't know what the hell they're doing. Why'd we bail their arses out in WW2 if they're just gonna ruin da Olympics!"

Brian is a socialist who supports the Labour Party and isn't going to like Romney regardless of what he said so I'd rather him just come out and say "I don't like this guy because he's a venture capitalist" rather then hide behind a timid comment Romney made about the logistics of hosting the Olympics. That's why what he said was stupid.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 11:54:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 10:22:05 AM, 000ike wrote:
70% of his foreign policy advisers are from the Bush Administration, stupidly enough.

At least they're out about it. Obama can apparently get away with simply continuing Bush's policies so long as he uses different guys?

Romney attacked the president and Ryan attacked the secretary of state the same day that a U.S embassy was bombed and our ambassador to Libya was killed. It goes without saying, they are completely ignorant of foreign policy, and instead of them to keep the conversation on the economy, they keep inflaming the foreign policy conversation.

Wait a second. Are you telling me some dudes trying to win the Presidency are political opportunists? Noooooo!!! We all know they're arseholes. But that doesn't really translate to "they knnow nothing about foreign policy". Interestingly enough it seems weird to say they don't when like 90% of what Romney has said is orthodox Obama/Bush doctrine.

Taking out bin Laden without trial, using drones to kill foreign and American civilians abroad, saying straight up he won't let Iran continue to "try to make nuclear weapons", siding with Israel on the issue of a preemptive strike against Iran's nuclear facilities, etc. etc. etc., these are all things Romney has explicitly said he supports. So Romney says something stupid about the Olympics and suddenly he doesn't know what he's doing. But dear leaders Barry Obama's got things in the bag. Cognitive dissonance much?

In combination with the Clint Eastwood bit at the RNC,

Not Romney

Romney's inadequate speech, his massive blunder on the Libya situation,

Pretty sure he's not the President yet so I don't see how he would have actually handled it.

and Obama's sudden lead in the swing states of Ohio, Virginia, and Florida, I'd say that Romney is on a severe decline. Keep in mind that this is also the moment in 2008 when McCain went on the severe decline. You can see that here in the September 8-15 time period, that sudden huge diversion --> http://www.debate.org...

Long story short, Romney will not be the next president of the United States.

That would make me feel good if I didn't know that means Obama will be.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Deathbeforedishonour
Posts: 1,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 12:12:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 10:18:45 AM, socialpinko wrote:
This was stupid and you should feel stupid for posting this.
No
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 12:25:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 12:12:51 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
At 9/16/2012 10:18:45 AM, socialpinko wrote:
This was stupid and you should feel stupid for posting this.
No

K.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 1:48:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 11:47:32 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/16/2012 10:25:46 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/16/2012 10:18:45 AM, socialpinko wrote:
This was stupid and you should feel stupid for posting this.

No it wasn't. No he shouldn't.

I don't like Romney but all he did was mention some problems he thought he saw in how the event was being managed. Brian seems to turn "there might be a few problems from what I've seen" into "fvcking Brits don't know what the hell they're doing. Why'd we bail their arses out in WW2 if they're just gonna ruin da Olympics!"

Brian is a socialist who supports the Labour Party and isn't going to like Romney regardless of what he said so I'd rather him just come out and say "I don't like this guy because he's a venture capitalist" rather then hide behind a timid comment Romney made about the logistics of hosting the Olympics. That's why what he said was stupid.

It wasn't even things that Romney 'thought he saw'... they were real concerns, reported by the media... but when Romney says something... it's like the revolutionary war all over again.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 1:58:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 10:22:05 AM, 000ike wrote:
70% of his foreign policy advisers are from the Bush Administration, stupidly enough. Romney attacked the president and Ryan attacked the secretary of state the same day that a U.S embassy was bombed and our ambassador to Libya was killed. It goes without saying, they are completely ignorant of foreign policy, and instead of them to keep the conversation on the economy, they keep inflaming the foreign policy conversation.

In combination with the Clint Eastwood bit at the RNC, Romney's inadequate speech, his massive blunder on the Libya situation, and Obama's sudden lead in the swing states of Ohio, Virginia, and Florida, I'd say that Romney is on a severe decline. Keep in mind that this is also the moment in 2008 when McCain went on the severe decline. You can see that here in the September 8-15 time period, that sudden huge diversion --> http://www.debate.org...

Long story short, Romney will not be the next president of the United States.

Fallacy of wishful thinking herp a derp.

Nah, I kid. I kid.

I really don't care which of them will be President. I hate them both.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 2:12:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well on an internatiional scale, the world seems to hate Republicans. But I really don't care what foreign countries think about the US president.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 2:22:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There's ten thousand legitimate complaints one could reasonably make towards Romney. But I have to say this is reaching. I don't think at all his comments were directed towards the UK, but rather concerns over the efficacy of the games that just so happened to be held in London.

And as has been stated already, Brian is staunchly Labour Party, so everything Mitt does is automatically suspect. All the same, Brian, those were kind words about the British/American relationship. I reciprocate the same sentiments.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 2:12:32 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Well on an internatiional scale, the world seems to hate Republicans. But I really don't care what foreign countries think about the US president.

Honestly on an international scale I don't think foreign countries care that much about what party the president is from and if they care, then it depends on the international situation.

I disliked Bush, not because he was Republican, but because of the war in Iraq. I like Obama because he is not Bush and I preffere him over Romney because I know what to expect from Obama.

As said before when I see American politics it is a fight betwen two parties that is both so far to the right that I can't identifie with either.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 2:57:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM, OllerupMand wrote:

Honestly on an international scale I don't think foreign countries care that much about what party the president is from and if they care, then it depends on the international situation.

I disliked Bush, not because he was Republican, but because of the war in Iraq. I like Obama because he is not Bush

Lol
and I preffere him over Romney because I know what to expect from Obama.

As said before when I see American politics it is a fight betwen two parties that is both so far to the right that I can't identifie with either.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 2:59:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
It's pretty easy to know what to expect from Romney. A moderate who isn't completely adverse to raising taxes and fees, understands the effects of government spending, is willing to work across the aisle to pass legislature through compromise, knows how to balance a budget, knows what businesses need to succeed, will keep campaign promises, remove tax loopholes, keep personal beliefs out of policy...

Just look at his record as governor...
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 3:08:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:12:32 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Well on an internatiional scale, the world seems to hate Republicans. But I really don't care what foreign countries think about the US president.

Honestly on an international scale I don't think foreign countries care that much about what party the president is from and if they care, then it depends on the international situation.

I disliked Bush, not because he was Republican, but because of the war in Iraq. I like Obama because he is not Bush and I preffere him over Romney because I know what to expect from Obama.

Obama kept troops in Iraq (they are being withdrawn now however). He is keeping troops in Afganistan, and has been implementing drone attacks in Libya and Pakistan. So I don't see how Obama's foreign policies are any different than Bush's.

There's not a lot of data pre-Bush, but the world overwhelmingly favored Obama over Mccain.

It also makes a huge difference what the domestic policies of the state are. Would we having the discussion of whether Iran was a major threat if its domestic policies were similar to the US. No of course not.

The US supports nations that have "western values" but doesn't engage in long term alliances with those that reject western values. this becomes obvious when you think of politics as an in-group vs. out-group game. Australia has similar values to us, they're the good guys. Iran implements shi'ite law. They're the bad guys.

As said before when I see American politics it is a fight betwen two parties that is both so far to the right that I can't identifie with either.

Democrats are on the right on the European scale. However, the Europeans can tolerate their form of right policies much more then Republicans.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 3:09:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, I have nothing to add that hasnt been said, so.....KFC, and *drags Brian away*
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 3:12:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 2:59:58 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
It's pretty easy to know what to expect from Romney. A moderate who isn't completely adverse to raising taxes and fees, understands the effects of government spending, is willing to work across the aisle to pass legislature through compromise, knows how to balance a budget, knows what businesses need to succeed, will keep campaign promises, remove tax loopholes, keep personal beliefs out of policy...

Just look at his record as governor...

Nothing that really matters to me, except the fact that he is ready to compromise. I more or less only care about his foreign policy because I am not American ;)
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 3:14:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 3:12:45 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:59:58 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
It's pretty easy to know what to expect from Romney. A moderate who isn't completely adverse to raising taxes and fees, understands the effects of government spending, is willing to work across the aisle to pass legislature through compromise, knows how to balance a budget, knows what businesses need to succeed, will keep campaign promises, remove tax loopholes, keep personal beliefs out of policy...

Just look at his record as governor...

Nothing that really matters to me, except the fact that he is ready to compromise. I more or less only care about his foreign policy because I am not American ;)

Lol, I was guessing where you were from before I checked, and I got Denmark spot on. Maybe something in your name.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 3:29:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 3:08:11 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:12:32 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Well on an internatiional scale, the world seems to hate Republicans. But I really don't care what foreign countries think about the US president.

Honestly on an international scale I don't think foreign countries care that much about what party the president is from and if they care, then it depends on the international situation.

I disliked Bush, not because he was Republican, but because of the war in Iraq. I like Obama because he is not Bush and I preffere him over Romney because I know what to expect from Obama.

Obama kept troops in Iraq (they are being withdrawn now however). He is keeping troops in Afganistan, and has been implementing drone attacks in Libya and Pakistan. So I don't see how Obama's foreign policies are any different than Bush's.

There is a huge difference betwen sending in troops and keeping them there until the job is done. Going out before the new goverment is stable just make all the work until then in vain. There is also a huge difference betwen the war in Iraq and Afganistan.

Now I hate and fear the drone attacks and what they do to international law just as much as the next one, but the difference is huge!

No Danish citizens have been abducted by the US.
Danish aircraft in Danish airspace haven't been threatened by the American military.
There have been no threats of trade war, because we won't legalize gmos.
We feel that Obama work with and not against the UN.

There's not a lot of data pre-Bush, but the world overwhelmingly favored Obama over Mccain.
Because people wanted a change of administration. People feared that McCain would just be Bush 2.1.

It also makes a huge difference what the domestic policies of the state are. Would we having the discussion of whether Iran was a major threat if its domestic policies were similar to the US. No of course not.

The US supports nations that have "western values" but doesn't engage in long term alliances with those that reject western values. this becomes obvious when you think of politics as an in-group vs. out-group game. Australia has similar values to us, they're the good guys. Iran implements shi'ite law. They're the bad guys.

As said before when I see American politics it is a fight betwen two parties that is both so far to the right that I can't identifie with either.

Democrats are on the right on the European scale. However, the Europeans can tolerate their form of right policies much more then Republicans.

Who say that? The Democrates? Sometimes Democrates say horrible things. Sometimes Republicans say thing that is worse. Remember that Europe followed a Republican into Iraq. Not once, but twice.
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 3:31:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 3:14:31 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 9/16/2012 3:12:45 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:59:58 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
It's pretty easy to know what to expect from Romney. A moderate who isn't completely adverse to raising taxes and fees, understands the effects of government spending, is willing to work across the aisle to pass legislature through compromise, knows how to balance a budget, knows what businesses need to succeed, will keep campaign promises, remove tax loopholes, keep personal beliefs out of policy...

Just look at his record as governor...

Nothing that really matters to me, except the fact that he is ready to compromise. I more or less only care about his foreign policy because I am not American ;)

Lol, I was guessing where you were from before I checked, and I got Denmark spot on. Maybe something in your name.

Didn't I tell you that a week ago in another thread :-P
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 3:33:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 3:31:31 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 3:14:31 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 9/16/2012 3:12:45 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:59:58 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
It's pretty easy to know what to expect from Romney. A moderate who isn't completely adverse to raising taxes and fees, understands the effects of government spending, is willing to work across the aisle to pass legislature through compromise, knows how to balance a budget, knows what businesses need to succeed, will keep campaign promises, remove tax loopholes, keep personal beliefs out of policy...

Just look at his record as governor...

Nothing that really matters to me, except the fact that he is ready to compromise. I more or less only care about his foreign policy because I am not American ;)

Lol, I was guessing where you were from before I checked, and I got Denmark spot on. Maybe something in your name.

Didn't I tell you that a week ago in another thread :-P

I don't think so....not sure....
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 3:34:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 3:33:02 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 9/16/2012 3:31:31 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 3:14:31 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 9/16/2012 3:12:45 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:59:58 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
It's pretty easy to know what to expect from Romney. A moderate who isn't completely adverse to raising taxes and fees, understands the effects of government spending, is willing to work across the aisle to pass legislature through compromise, knows how to balance a budget, knows what businesses need to succeed, will keep campaign promises, remove tax loopholes, keep personal beliefs out of policy...

Just look at his record as governor...

Nothing that really matters to me, except the fact that he is ready to compromise. I more or less only care about his foreign policy because I am not American ;)

Lol, I was guessing where you were from before I checked, and I got Denmark spot on. Maybe something in your name.

Didn't I tell you that a week ago in another thread :-P

I don't think so....not sure....

Got link
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 3:36:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 3:29:31 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 3:08:11 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:12:32 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Well on an internatiional scale, the world seems to hate Republicans. But I really don't care what foreign countries think about the US president.

Honestly on an international scale I don't think foreign countries care that much about what party the president is from and if they care, then it depends on the international situation.

I disliked Bush, not because he was Republican, but because of the war in Iraq. I like Obama because he is not Bush and I preffere him over Romney because I know what to expect from Obama.

Obama kept troops in Iraq (they are being withdrawn now however). He is keeping troops in Afganistan, and has been implementing drone attacks in Libya and Pakistan. So I don't see how Obama's foreign policies are any different than Bush's.

There is a huge difference betwen sending in troops and keeping them there until the job is done. Going out before the new goverment is stable just make all the work until then in vain. There is also a huge difference betwen the war in Iraq and Afganistan.

Now I hate and fear the drone attacks and what they do to international law just as much as the next one, but the difference is huge!

No Danish citizens have been abducted by the US.
Danish aircraft in Danish airspace haven't been threatened by the American military.
There have been no threats of trade war, because we won't legalize gmos.
We feel that Obama work with and not against the UN.

Did any of this occur under Bush? No.

Although Democrats are more likely to work with the UN while Republicans are more likely to say "f*ck the UN".


There's not a lot of data pre-Bush, but the world overwhelmingly favored Obama over Mccain.
Because people wanted a change of administration. People feared that McCain would just be Bush 2.1.

It also makes a huge difference what the domestic policies of the state are. Would we having the discussion of whether Iran was a major threat if its domestic policies were similar to the US. No of course not.

The US supports nations that have "western values" but doesn't engage in long term alliances with those that reject western values. this becomes obvious when you think of politics as an in-group vs. out-group game. Australia has similar values to us, they're the good guys. Iran implements shi'ite law. They're the bad guys.

As said before when I see American politics it is a fight betwen two parties that is both so far to the right that I can't identifie with either.

Democrats are on the right on the European scale. However, the Europeans can tolerate their form of right policies much more then Republicans.

Who say that? The Democrates? Sometimes Democrates say horrible things. Sometimes Republicans say thing that is worse. Remember that Europe followed a Republican into Iraq. Not once, but twice.

That's my perception. I know Great Britian is (which is also probably more to the right than most of Europe) but I thought it was just Great Britian that went to war in Iraq that was part of Europe.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2012 3:46:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/16/2012 3:36:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/16/2012 3:29:31 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 3:08:11 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:48:35 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/16/2012 2:12:32 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Well on an internatiional scale, the world seems to hate Republicans. But I really don't care what foreign countries think about the US president.

Honestly on an international scale I don't think foreign countries care that much about what party the president is from and if they care, then it depends on the international situation.

I disliked Bush, not because he was Republican, but because of the war in Iraq. I like Obama because he is not Bush and I preffere him over Romney because I know what to expect from Obama.

Obama kept troops in Iraq (they are being withdrawn now however). He is keeping troops in Afganistan, and has been implementing drone attacks in Libya and Pakistan. So I don't see how Obama's foreign policies are any different than Bush's.

There is a huge difference betwen sending in troops and keeping them there until the job is done. Going out before the new goverment is stable just make all the work until then in vain. There is also a huge difference betwen the war in Iraq and Afganistan.

Now I hate and fear the drone attacks and what they do to international law just as much as the next one, but the difference is huge!

No Danish citizens have been abducted by the US.
Danish aircraft in Danish airspace haven't been threatened by the American military.
There have been no threats of trade war, because we won't legalize gmos.
We feel that Obama work with and not against the UN.

Did any of this occur under Bush? No.
Yah it kind of did. Properly not a big thing repported in the US, but rather big in Denmark.
Although Democrats are more likely to work with the UN while Republicans are more likely to say "f*ck the UN".


There's not a lot of data pre-Bush, but the world overwhelmingly favored Obama over Mccain.
Because people wanted a change of administration. People feared that McCain would just be Bush 2.1.

It also makes a huge difference what the domestic policies of the state are. Would we having the discussion of whether Iran was a major threat if its domestic policies were similar to the US. No of course not.

The US supports nations that have "western values" but doesn't engage in long term alliances with those that reject western values. this becomes obvious when you think of politics as an in-group vs. out-group game. Australia has similar values to us, they're the good guys. Iran implements shi'ite law. They're the bad guys.

As said before when I see American politics it is a fight betwen two parties that is both so far to the right that I can't identifie with either.

Democrats are on the right on the European scale. However, the Europeans can tolerate their form of right policies much more then Republicans.

Who say that? The Democrates? Sometimes Democrates say horrible things. Sometimes Republicans say thing that is worse. Remember that Europe followed a Republican into Iraq. Not once, but twice.

That's my perception. I know Great Britian is (which is also probably more to the right than most of Europe) but I thought it was just Great Britian that went to war in Iraq that was part of Europe.

Ah well your wrong there. Denmark send a submarine!!!

For a dessert war <.<

But I don't see why we would preffere a Democrat over a Republican. The difference is so small and they kind of counter weight each other. Democrats may work better with the UN, but they often support set up tax walls during economic crises!