How to Save the Presidential Debates

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 10:51:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
How to Save the Presidential Debates from being Snoozefests

"There"s only one way to save the presidential debates from degenerating into boring snoozefests: Put (Governor) Gary Johnson in them."

http://www.gazette.com...

"HAWAII, July 23, 2012 " The most savvy thing that America"s TV networks could possibly do this year is to promote Gary Johnson with the intent of placing him in at least one, if not all of the Fall presidential debates. Such a move would almost certainly drive viewership and interest in the debates to stratospheric levels, and Johnson"s penchant for snappy redirects and crowd-winning zingers would be the kind of fan service that scratches the itch for spontaneous, unscripted reality TV.
America got a taste of Johnson"s flair during his candidacy as a Republican, first when he released on YouTube an edited video of him participating a debate he had been excluded from, then later when he was included in the Florida debate and delivered a knockout quip about how "my next door neighbor"s two dogs have created more shovel ready jobs than this president."

Read more: Want to put a piranha in the political fish tank? Allow Gary Johnson in the Presidential Debates | Washington Times Communities
http://communities.washingtontimes.com...
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 10:55:46 AM
No.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 10:56:51 AM
At 9/17/2012 10:55:46 AM, OberHerr wrote:
No.

Though, I'm not saying it wouldn't be interesting, but how many people in the US actually know about him, let alone are gonna vote for him? 0.5%? MAYBE 1%?

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:43:10 PM
At 9/17/2012 10:56:51 AM, OberHerr wrote:
No.

Though, I'm not saying it wouldn't be interesting, but how many people in the US actually know about him, let alone are gonna vote for him? 0.5%? MAYBE 1%?

He's polling around 4-5%. Not horrible for 3rd party candidate.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:44:21 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:43:10 PM, Contra wrote:
No.

I doubt, severely, he will get 4-5% off the vote. And even if he does, it's not enough to get a him a debate spot.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:44:34 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:43:10 PM, Contra wrote:
No.

That's amazing, not "not horrible."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:47:19 PM
Not going to happen. Seriously guys, the Republican party might still be salvageable for libertarians. The way that the American system is set up really precludes the possibility of more than 2 parties except in very rare circumstances and even then they never win. You are WAYYYY better served by trying to save the Republican party before the Fascist/bigot Christians completely take it over...and now that Ron Paul is retiring, tick tock. Time is running out and stupidly advocating Gary Johnsons candidacy is counter intuitive to spreading libertarian ideals
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:47:49 PM
Anyone who admires "Johnson's penchant for snappy redirects and crowd-winning zingers" has not heard him speak. He is a boring speaker. He throws bones to dedicated libertarians for sure, but he doesn't deal with practical political issues.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:48:59 PM
No.

Isn't that exactly why he needs to be in the debates? He's the only one who will offer any actual debate. God forbid people find out there's actually a real choice out there.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:51:08 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:47:19 PM, thett3 wrote:
Not going to happen. Seriously guys, the Republican party might still be salvageable for libertarians. The way that the American system is set up really precludes the possibility of more than 2 parties except in very rare circumstances and even then they never win. You are WAYYYY better served by trying to save the Republican party before the Fascist/bigot Christians completely take it over...and now that Ron Paul is retiring, tick tock. Time is running out and stupidly advocating Gary Johnsons candidacy is counter intuitive to spreading libertarian ideals

The youth of this country has really become displeased with the two party system and many of them have become infatuated with the libertarian party (call me cheesy but go to Omegle and scroll down to the bottom). Once this generation of youth gets into their prime, it's completely possible that there will be a three party system.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:52:25 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:48:59 PM, lewis20 wrote:
No.

Isn't that exactly why he needs to be in the debates? He's the only one who will offer any actual debate. God forbid people find out there's actually a real choice out there.

Even if he got every channel, in the US, to run ads on him from now until the election, people still wouldn't vote for him. Roughly three months before the election, most of the US has made up their mind. Very few are that are gonna vote are undecided. Also, using that logic, Vermin Supreme, and all the other candidates who don't have any chance of getting even a half a percentage should be in the debates.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:53:17 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:51:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

The youth of this country has really become displeased with the two party system and many of them have become infatuated with the libertarian party (call me cheesy but go to Omegle and scroll down to the bottom). Once this generation of youth gets into their prime, it's completely possible that there will be a three party system.

I disagree, it's far more likely that libertarianism will be absorbed into the republican party just as social liberalism (far left) was absorbed by the democratic party in the 60's. But hey, I would absolutely love to be wrong here. A libertarian president? That would be amazing.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:53:33 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:52:25 PM, OberHerr wrote:
No.

Even if he got every channel, in the US, to run ads on him from now until the election, people still wouldn't vote for him. Roughly three months before the election, most of the US has made up their mind. Very few are that are gonna vote are undecided. Also, using that logic, Vermin Supreme, and all the other candidates who don't have any chance of getting even a half a percentage should be in the debates.

3-4>.5

Right?
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:53:48 PM

I doubt it. For one, not that many people really know about it that much. I suspect it's a fad. Would be cool I suppose, but I really doubt their gonna get that much momentum.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:53:51 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:47:49 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Anyone who admires "Johnson's penchant for snappy redirects and crowd-winning zingers" has not heard him speak. He is a boring speaker. He throws bones to dedicated libertarians for sure, but he doesn't deal with practical political issues.

He doesn't deal with practical political issues? Is that code for he's not a lying, pandering, bought and paid for snake like the other two candidates running?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:54:49 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:53:33 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
No.

3-4>.5

Right?

And, where are you getting that number? Polls? Yeah, cause those people are really gonna vote.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:56:43 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:54:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
No.

3-4>.5

Right?

And, where are you getting that number? Polls? Yeah, cause those people are really gonna vote.

haha polls? Where do you want the numbers from? hah

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:56:58 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:53:17 PM, thett3 wrote:

I disagree, it's far more likely that libertarianism will be absorbed into the republican party just as social liberalism (far left) was absorbed by the democratic party in the 60's. But hey, I would absolutely love to be wrong here. A libertarian president? That would be amazing.

Yes, I can really see social liberal values and the discouragement of war be absorbed in a Christian fascist reactionary party.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:57:33 PM
No.

3-4>.5

Right?

That's is the stupidest thing that you have said.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:58:09 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:56:43 PM, lewis20 wrote:
No.

3-4>.5

Right?

haha polls? Where do you want the numbers from? hah

He trend that is shown since, I dunno, the founding of this country?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:59:00 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:57:33 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
No.

3-4>.5

Right?

You really think he is gonna get 3-4%? Really?

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 5:59:46 PM
Everybody go to Omegle and scroll down. I accidentally went on the website yesterday and it's pretty amazing.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 6:00:14 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:59:00 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 9/17/2012 5:57:33 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
No.

3-4>.5

Right?

You really think he is gonna get 3-4%? Really?

I think what the polls think.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 6:07:02 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:56:58 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Yes, I can really see social liberal values and the discouragement of war be absorbed in a Christian fascist reactionary party.

I could have easily said the same thing about Christian fascists before they took over
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 6:07:50 PM
At 9/17/2012 6:07:02 PM, thett3 wrote:

I could have easily said the same thing about Christian fascists before they took over

The ideology was always there- they just became more prevalent in the party.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 6:10:47 PM
At 9/17/2012 6:07:50 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/17/2012 6:07:02 PM, thett3 wrote:

The ideology was always there- they just became more prevalent in the party.

That's probably true, but can't the same be said about libertarians today? Although I admit they have virtually no influence
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2012 6:29:11 PM
I believe that Libertarianism will eventually be adopted by the United States and perhaps anarchy in a couple of centuries, since the world seems to be moving rapidly in the direction of freedom and opportunistic egalitarianism,...likely due to global unification and communication in fast travel, internet etc.

However, Libertarianism will never gain traction because the Libertarians were compelling salespeople. Never. It will occur when more people see it as a solution to their problems and it is a more inviting option, and eventually it will, as Malcom Gladwell would say, "tip" and cause a political revolution.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:43:21 PM
At 9/17/2012 6:29:11 PM, 000ike wrote:
I believe that Libertarianism will eventually be adopted by the United States and perhaps anarchy in a couple of centuries, since the world seems to be moving rapidly in the direction of freedom and opportunistic egalitarianism,...likely due to global unification and communication in fast travel, internet etc.

However, Libertarianism will never gain traction because the Libertarians were compelling salespeople. Never. It will occur when more people see it as a solution to their problems and it is a more inviting option, and eventually it will, as Malcom Gladwell would say, "tip" and cause a political revolution.

Pretty much. I mean a lot of what Ron Paul says I get and agree with (and a whole lost more I disagree with) but he's a terrible speaker. I guess that's the price for substance then right? You can't be right AND sound good at the same time. Obama is supposed to be an awesome orator while Paul is just some old guy talking.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 6:56:32 PM
At 9/17/2012 5:47:49 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Anyone who admires "Johnson's penchant for snappy redirects and crowd-winning zingers" has not heard him speak. He is a boring speaker. He throws bones to dedicated libertarians for sure,

False. He initially comes off as boring but he actually grows on you and is very likable. He got elected governor multiple times in a predominantly Democrat blue state.

He's also articulate and the fact that he brings up Libertarian issues is exciting in itself.

but he doesn't deal with practical political issues.

Completely and utterly false. He's the only one of the three who deals with practical political issues.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat