Jump to topic:

Romney Doesn't Care About the Middle Class

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:09:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Romney's recent "47 percent" comments prove what most people already know: that the Republican Presidential candidate doesn't care about or understand middle class Americans.

In this week's blog post (http://blog.debate.org...), I explain why.

Do you agree or disagree? Is Romney nothing more than a spoiled little rich boy working to help other millionaires? I definitely think so.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:10:25 PM
At 9/18/2012 3:09:22 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
Romney's recent "47 percent" comments prove what most people already know: that the Republican Presidential candidate doesn't care about or understand middle class Americans.

Do you agree or disagree? Is Romney nothing more than a spoiled little rich boy working to help other millionaires? I definitely think so.

Although I don't really know the full story behind this, I hardly consider someone who pays no income tax middle class.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:14:27 PM

I think hes just horrifically disconnected with what average Americans are struggling with and that these statements of his only show that this is the case.

Thats the opinion of my neutral and wise side, my extremely liberally biased side would probably say something along the lines of "Of course he is a spoiled rich boy who was born with a silver spoon up his a** and if this guy gets elected then everyone who isnt upper class is royally f*cked!!!!"

I like to keep my extremely liberally biased side under my bed though.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:15:13 PM
At 9/18/2012 3:10:25 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Although I don't really know the full story behind this, I hardly consider someone who pays no income tax middle class.

Retirees.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 3:39:38 PM
He also doesn't care about the very poor or the very rich...Mitt Romney doesn't care about anyone...
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 4:41:57 PM
There this whole pseudo-importance about being "connected" or being able to "understand" what the middle class goes through. This is pure bullsh!t. All that is needed is a firm understanding of economics and thereby how economies affect the middle class- which can all be understood without leaving a textbook. I'd much rather trust a billionaire PHD economist as the leader of the country than a charismatic person from humble backgrounds (not an analogy that extends for Romney for obvious reasons).
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 4:48:53 PM
At 9/18/2012 4:41:57 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
There this whole pseudo-importance about being "connected" or being able to "understand" what the middle class goes through. This is pure bullsh!t. All that is needed is a firm understanding of economics and thereby how economies affect the middle class- which can all be understood without leaving a textbook. I'd much rather trust a billionaire PHD economist as the leader of the country than a charismatic person from humble backgrounds (not an analogy that extends for Romney for obvious reasons).

except that the president ultimately would never have the absolute power to fully employ his vision, and he would, like always, have equally prominent economists disagree with him. That connection that you just sh!t all over is actually instrumental to the presidency, so that the people know that they're desires are being saliently represented in highest offices of government.

Your preference fails on both practical and symbolic grounds.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 4:49:41 PM
At 9/18/2012 4:48:53 PM, 000ike wrote:

except that the president ultimately would never have the absolute power to fully employ his vision, and he would, like always, have equally prominent economists disagree with him. That connection that you just sh!t all over is actually instrumental to the presidency, so that the people know that they're desires are being saliently represented in highest offices of government.

Their*

represented in the highest*
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:19:02 PM

except that the president ultimately would never have the absolute power to fully employ his vision,

That's not unique to my proposition. That has and always will be like this and has absolutely no relevance to what I was saying. The President has the power to influence policy and in some cases actually make it.

and he would, like always, have equally prominent economists disagree with him.

Economists disagree on the normative implications of economic theory, however they almost always agree on the positive economics. If you have an understanding of history coupled with economic theory (not necessarily partisan), you're in a good position to lead the country. As well, your point actually plays into my favour because if the President is knowledgeable in economic theory, then he can combat the rival economic viewpoints of his economists, instead of ignoring or surrendering to them.

That connection that you just sh!t all over is actually instrumental to the presidency, so that the people know that they're desires are being saliently represented in highest offices of government.

People knowing something=/=It being good or it being efficient. People might get all warm and fuzzy that their President is a low-life from Harlem who fought his way to the top, but that doesn't have any implications as to his performance.

Cool story, brah.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:21:29 PM
When I heard the clip it seemed like his message was lets get the middle class off the government safety net...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:21:41 PM
http://www.boortz.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:24:00 PM
At 9/18/2012 3:39:38 PM, lewis20 wrote:
He also doesn't care about the very poor or the very rich...Mitt Romney doesn't care about anyone...

First .. when the 14-year-old daughter of a Bain employee went missing in New York City, Romney shut down Bain Capital in Boston and moved almost the entire staff to NYC. He set up a war room in a hotel and enlisted the aid of Bain connections to find the girl. When they found her the doctors said she might not have had more than a day to live. This is a man who doesn"t care?
And here"s a story you probably haven"t heard. Romney was running against Ted Kennedy for Kennedy"s Senate seat in Massachusetts. As a Senatorial candidate Romney toured the VA hospital near Boston. While touring the hospital Romney discovered that there was not enough money to buy dairy products for sick soldiers. Romney reviewed the VA medical center"s books to see if there was any funny stuff going on. Everything looked fine, so Romney asked the administrators what they needed. They said they needed milk. Romney made some remark about how he had learned how to milk a cow .. then left. The next Friday the milkman arrived. A truck rolled up with 7000 pints of milk. The delivery man refused to tell the VA medical where the milk came from. When the man who delivered the milk finally retired about two years later he told the hospital staff where the milk came from. Mitt Romney.

Yeah hes obvs such a scumbag. Please , tell me more!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:25:39 PM
At 9/18/2012 5:21:41 PM, thett3 wrote:

Made it to the second line before I stopped reading.
"Obama must be breathing a sign of relief today. The news has shifted away from his the spectacular collapse of Dear Ruler"s apology and pandering based outreach to the Muslim world."

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:27:44 PM
At 9/18/2012 5:25:39 PM, lewis20 wrote:

"Obama must be breathing a sign of relief today. The news has shifted away from his the spectacular collapse of Dear Ruler"s apology and pandering based outreach to the Muslim world."

cool story bro. I would actually agree that that line is BS but how about reading the relevant part of the article? But no, its way funner to make snide little comments
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:29:44 PM

This.

For once we agree.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:50:04 PM
At 9/18/2012 5:27:44 PM, thett3 wrote:

cool story bro. I would actually agree that that line is BS but how about reading the relevant part of the article? But no, its way funner to make snide little comments

It's funny that an article can lose all credibility within a few seconds. I'm not going to listen to some BS spewed by some blogger who starts their story like that, if they had any integrity at all they wouldn't discredit themselves in their opening line.
Obama is pandering and apologizing to muslims? C'mon he's slaughtered plenty enough muslims to deserve the respect of any neo-con spouting that rhetoric.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:55:10 PM
At 9/18/2012 5:50:04 PM, lewis20 wrote:

It's funny that an article can lose all credibility within a few seconds. I'm not going to listen to some BS spewed by some blogger who starts their story like that, if they had any integrity at all they wouldn't discredit themselves in their opening line.
Obama is pandering and apologizing to muslims? C'mon he's slaughtered plenty enough muslims to deserve the respect of any neo-con spouting that rhetoric.

This kids is an ad hominem argument. See, Lewis here was proven wrong in his previous post but instead of actually addressing the issue he takes the easy way out and attacks the author for being a partisan hack. Unfortunately for him, one can be a partisan hack and still be right. Lewis here isn't stupid enough to not know this, but he just doesnt like being proven wrong
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 5:58:19 PM

I thought even liberals were above this. Apparently not.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:09:33 PM
At 9/18/2012 5:55:10 PM, thett3 wrote:

This kids is an ad hominem argument. See, Lewis here was proven wrong in his previous post but instead of actually addressing the issue he takes the easy way out and attacks the author for being a partisan hack. Unfortunately for him, one can be a partisan hack and still be right. Lewis here isn't stupid enough to not know this, but he just doesnt like being proven wrong

I haven't made any argument about the article, it could be pure gold. All I am saying is that if the author starts it off with such a stupid statement, I'm not going to read it. Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore say things I agree with all the time, doesn't mean I have any respect for, nor care what they have to say.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:14:30 PM

OOO, conjecture without any substance. I can play this game. Ok:"Is Obama nothing more than a community organizer?" "Does Obama have any experience besides being a state senator?" "Is Obama nothing more than some lawyer who couldn't even get into the convention in 04, but decided he could ride the Liberal Love/Bush Hate wave of 08 into the White House?"

Actually, most of those have far more basis and fact behind them than yours.

Your really gonna try and nail or guy for being inexperienced? Really?!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:15:42 PM

And...how are they not? What, you think Ronmey is just gonna help the rich like him? Really?!

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:17:18 PM
Retirees
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:17:43 PM
At 9/18/2012 6:09:33 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 9/18/2012 5:55:10 PM, thett3 wrote:

I haven't made any argument about the article, it could be pure gold. All I am saying is that if the author starts it off with such a stupid statement, I'm not going to read it. Rush Limbaugh and Michael Moore say things I agree with all the time, doesn't mean I have any respect for, nor care what they have to say.

How do you listen to/read any news with your WV? You must think every starting statement is stupid...

Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:20:44 PM

And the fact that the middle class will be affected by any legislation whose effect is class-based. There is no definition of the middle class, so statements are often made that seem contridictory.

Child tax credit reductions will hurt the middle class.
Capital gains increase will hurt the middle class.

Which is it, people? Are they poor and can't afford a tax increase? Or, are they wealthy enough to have investments?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:25:16 PM
At 9/18/2012 6:17:43 PM, OberHerr wrote:

How do you listen to/read any news with your WV? You must think every starting statement is stupid...

WV? Why would I think every starting statement is stupid?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:28:31 PM
At 9/18/2012 6:25:16 PM, lewis20 wrote:

World View. And 90% of the time on this site when I see you post its on how dumb, or stupid, or useless something is. Exception would be stuff regarding Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, or Libertarians.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:34:06 PM
At 9/18/2012 6:28:31 PM, OberHerr wrote:

World View. And 90% of the time on this site when I see you post its on how dumb, or stupid, or useless something is. Exception would be stuff regarding Ron Paul, Gary Johnson, or Libertarians.

Libertarian world view and 90% of what I post is about how dumb, stupid or useless something is?
Was I wrong about the article intro? and is that kind of an introduction not as valid a reason as any avoid reading the article?

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:35:18 PM
At 9/18/2012 6:34:06 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 9/18/2012 6:28:31 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Libertarian world view and 90% of what I post is about how dumb, stupid or useless something is?
Was I wrong about the article intro? and is that kind of an introduction not as valid a reason as any avoid reading the article?

No. I find that if you judge stuff by the first five seconds you spend with it in life, your just gonna go around wondering why everything sucks.

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:41:45 PM
At 9/18/2012 6:14:30 PM, OberHerr wrote:

OOO, conjecture without any substance. I can play this game. Ok:"Is Obama nothing more than a community organizer?" "Does Obama have any experience besides being a state senator?" "Is Obama nothing more than some lawyer who couldn't even get into the convention in 04, but decided he could ride the Liberal Love/Bush Hate wave of 08 into the White House?"

Actually, most of those have far more basis and fact behind them than yours.

Your really gonna try and nail or guy for being inexperienced? Really?!

You read his quote, right? Sure, I'm definitely letting my emotion take part in my argument, and being a brat by calling him a spoiled little rich kid, but he blatantly states that he is NOT working for the 47% of voters who rely on government assistance (stupidly, as a large part of this percentage are REPUBLICANS).

Also, I said nothing about his experience. Only that's as a "spoiled rich kid," he has no frame of reference to understand the struggles of the middle class.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2012 6:41:56 PM
At 9/18/2012 6:35:18 PM, OberHerr wrote:
No. I find that if you judge stuff by the first five seconds you spend with it in life, your just gonna go around wondering why everything sucks.

From ragging on a blog post to life lessons in one sentence? Good stuff.