Jump to topic:

American Attitude

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 9:36:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Occasionally, I browse Yahoo answers for answers. Occasionally, I browse Yahoo answers for entertainment. Sometimes, the comments are down right retarded. Rarely, do I ever rage at my computer because of a Yahoo answer comment. However, this stupidity, which is likely the stance of a lot of individuals within the US made me extremely angry:

This was about the Iraq War.

"Ofcourse the war is justified!!!

They had weapons of MASS destruction.
The Men kept beard. The women wore veils.
Compared to Saudi Arabia, their oil production capacity is 50times more.
And during the Gulf War, Iraq moved to conclude permanent peace with Iran.
All this happens without informing the US!!! We will not allow you to do this.

And you call them terrorists. lol."

The part that really pisses me off is the last sentence. The first parts are factually incorrect and completely redundant to the original post, but the last sentence sums up the self-centred, egoistic, chauvinistic, fascistic, interventionist, better than thou thinking that you are the centre of the universe attitude that is prevalent all throughout America.

This notion, that the US is somehow the social and economical pinnacle of the world, which exempts it from all international law, hypocrisy, and responsibility to others is probably the stupidest thing ever- yet it is perpetrated by nearly all of the leaders of the country complete with the attitude of the people.

Never mind that the war was hypocritical in that the US supported Saddam earlier. Never mind that the only reason that the US went to war was to test out its "Imperial Grand Strategy" of world-wide hegemony to effectively replace international with American law coupled with securing re-election. Never mind that there were no WMDs found by a UN search group. Never mind that the US launched a fiery propaganda campaign that successfully brainwashed the public about the Middle East akin to what the Nazis did. Never mind that more people died with the war than would have died without it.

/end rant
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 9:37:16 PM
There might as well be a world-wide conspiracy because I see no difference between that and sheer corruption.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 9:39:11 PM
I'm a little befuddled as to what the topic of conversation is here. There are people with some uninformed opinions on the internet (is that really shocking?), and they don't necessarily represent an "american attitude".
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:01:11 PM
At 9/22/2012 9:39:11 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm a little befuddled as to what the topic of conversation is here. There are people with some uninformed opinions on the internet (is that really shocking?), and they don't necessarily represent an "american attitude".

That's the average human not the average American. 73.4014531849% of the population has an IQ of 110 or less. Not to offend anyone, but that's dull.

Out of that percentage 26.5985468151% of the population has an IQ of 90 or less, and 10.5649839086% has an IQ of 80 or less, and 3.0396297188% has an IQ of 70 or less.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:03:08 PM
At 9/22/2012 10:01:11 PM, DanT wrote:

That's the average human not the average American. 73.4014531849% of the population has an IQ of 110 or less. Not to offend anyone, but that's dull.

Out of that percentage 26.5985468151% of the population has an IQ of 90 or less, and 10.5649839086% has an IQ of 80 or less, and 3.0396297188% has an IQ of 70 or less.

I didn't mean 26.5985468151% of people with an IQ of 110 or less, I mean there are 26.5985468151% with an IQ of 90 or less, that is counted in the first figure.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:09:33 PM

really? Your going to use that many significant figures!? You used 14 significant figures. There are only 8 billion people on the planet which will give you a maximum of 9 significant figures, and that's if you sample the entire earth's population.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:10:54 PM
At 9/22/2012 10:09:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:

really? Your going to use that many significant figures!? You used 14 significant figures. There are only 8 billion people on the planet which will give you a maximum of 9 significant figures, and that's if you sample the entire earth's population.

I just got MINDFVCKED
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:12:57 PM
An interesting topic to comment on for an Australian, not an American.

America is a fantastic country, and I certainly can't name too many other nations I'd want as a world superpower. Nevertheless... occasionally you notice certain currents of thought with American people that they hold to extremely strongly, or believe to be the only way. On a political level I find the level of attachment to the constitution and founding fathers rather strange, as well as why there's no viable 3rd party alternative. In Australia the 3rd party currently (The Greens) has hovered around 10% support for awhile. In America people believe 3rd parties aren't useful, which disregards other countries.

It's a tough thing to describe, but being the superpower in the world does somewhat blind people to other ways. America can be a fantastic country, but it can amaze me just what views some people hold. I could elaborate beyond the above examples, but there's no real need.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:14:24 PM

No it isn't. That's actually the high end of average intelligence. 100 is dead average. If anything, 90 would be dull.

Consider this thread derailed.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:17:54 PM
At 9/22/2012 10:12:57 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:

America is a fantastic country, and I certainly can't name too many other nations I'd want as a world superpower. Nevertheless... occasionally you notice certain currents of thought with American people that they hold to extremely strongly, or believe to be the only way. On a political level I find the level of attachment to the constitution and founding fathers rather strange, as well as why there's no viable 3rd party alternative. In Australia the 3rd party currently (The Greens) has hovered around 10% support for awhile. In America people believe 3rd parties aren't useful, which disregards other countries.

It's a tough thing to describe, but being the superpower in the world does somewhat blind people to other ways. America can be a fantastic country, but it can amaze me just what views some people hold. I could elaborate beyond the above examples, but there's no real need.

Aye. I agree with this analysis.

At the same time though, it seems like, if we play the same general current games, America is also the country that everyone loves to laugh at as being somehow lower than them, and this makes me sad--when honestly, I consider all of the countries to basically be just countries: not that better or worse (OF COURSE, there are 1st worlds, and superpowers and all that) than any other.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:24:27 PM

Your schools don't propagandize the origins and independence of Australia? That's why everyone's so obsessed with the constitution and founder fathers in the US. Your pretty much taught it grades 1-12 in the US.

In terms of 3rd parties, the US elections have a system that tends to lead itself to a 2 party system. As far as I'm concerned, you have a parliamentary system. US presidential system leads itself to a 2 party system because its a winner take all system and the president is chosen in elections, not through the parliament (if its chosen through parliament, then 3rd parties have significant more power to choose the prime minister).
Open borders debate:
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:28:19 PM

No... my point is that this is the typical american attitude.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:30:33 PM
At 9/22/2012 10:28:19 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Really? REALLY? That's the TYPICAL American attitude?!

I'm sorry, LK. But I think you gotta give us a bit more credit than that. Most Americans aren't fvcking retarded.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:40:16 PM
At 9/22/2012 10:30:33 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I'm sorry, LK. But I think you gotta give us a bit more credit than that. Most Americans aren't fvcking retarded.

You were led on a propaganda campaign devoid of any facts, to topple a dictator who you previously supported, as a facade for imperialistic aims.

Yeah, Americans are fvcktarded.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 10:42:46 PM

America is certainly interesting in both the views its inhabitants hold and its culture, but its way of conducting foreign policy shows complete contempt for other countries and a superficially superior attitude.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 11:07:29 PM
At 9/22/2012 10:14:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

No it isn't. That's actually the high end of average intelligence. 100 is dead average. If anything, 90 would be dull.

The average IQ (90 to 110) is dull. At least in my opinion.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 11:15:26 PM
At 9/22/2012 11:07:29 PM, DanT wrote:
At 9/22/2012 10:14:24 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

The average IQ (90 to 110) is dull. At least in my opinion.

by definition, the IQ is standardized to 100.
Open borders debate:
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2012 11:53:09 PM
At 9/22/2012 10:24:27 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Your schools don't propagandize the origins and independence of Australia? That's why everyone's so obsessed with the constitution and founder fathers in the US. Your pretty much taught it grades 1-12 in the US.

Australian independence resulted from the various colonies (now states) basically talking to each other, deciding they wanted to be a united nation, and royal assent was quickly given. It's a rather dull process - just a decade of negotiating and colonies worried about some minor issues, which faded away. There's not the same ability to propagandise it. We learn about Federation for a term, and it's mentioned at many other points throughout history.

The mitigating factor for me though is that in my school 70% of students have a non-english speaking background. That kills overly patriotic statements at times which have negative connotations. Nevertheless, the first 2 years of history at high school have nothing (besides half of 1 of 4 terms) Australian about them. Then you have 2 years of Australian history, but a fairly decent amount of that is within an international context, looking at relationships with the US and Britain in particular. For instance, you can't talk about Australia in WWII without learning about the Japanese threat, and that relates to the US and other factors. In the US it's extremely easy to have a curriculum without any knowledge of Australian involvement (which was minor) . Immediately you have a degree of brilliance and overestimation developing...
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 12:01:46 AM
At 9/22/2012 10:42:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

America is certainly interesting in both the views its inhabitants hold and its culture, but its way of conducting foreign policy shows complete contempt for other countries and a superficially superior attitude.

American foreign policy is interesting. What's more interesting is how American foreign policy is portrayed, along with other nations' foreign policies. Read much about the South China Sea in the news in the past few months? If you haven't then that probably reflects a lack of interest in news regarding changes in the world internationally. If you have then you probably have noticed the view that China is becoming far more aggressive in it's foreign policy, which supposedly forces the US to reluctantly intervene in disputes. I'm not saying this isn't true, but I've read a few conflicting articles about foreign policy on this.

My knowledge of political philosophy and theories of international relations is limited, but it's always fascinating to see foreign policy at work. It's also fascinating to see how people perceive issues in other countries.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 12:09:19 AM
At 9/22/2012 11:53:09 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:

Australian independence resulted from the various colonies (now states) basically talking to each other, deciding they wanted to be a united nation, and royal assent was quickly given. It's a rather dull process - just a decade of negotiating and colonies worried about some minor issues, which faded away. There's not the same ability to propagandise it. We learn about Federation for a term, and it's mentioned at many other points throughout history.

The mitigating factor for me though is that in my school 70% of students have a non-english speaking background.

Interesting. I thought it was mainly an english speaking nation.

That kills overly patriotic statements at times which have negative connotations. Nevertheless, the first 2 years of history at high school have nothing (besides half of 1 of 4 terms) Australian about them.

Well, the first 2 years of high school were "World history". However, it was pretty much eurocentric and I don't know why they didn't bother calling it "European history" which it really was, especially in my 2nd year in high school.

Then you have 2 years of Australian history, but a fairly decent amount of that is within an international context, looking at relationships with the US and Britain in particular. For instance, you can't talk about Australia in WWII without learning about the Japanese threat, and that relates to the US and other factors. In the US it's extremely easy to have a curriculum without any knowledge of Australian involvement (which was minor) . Immediately you have a degree of brilliance and overestimation developing...

Well, to be fair, its not as If the curriculum is going to cover all the nations that fought in WWII. They're only going to cover the major players: Japan, US, Great Britain, Soviet Union, Italy, China, Poland, France and Germany.
Open borders debate:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 12:45:32 AM

The mitigating factor for me though is that in my school 70% of students have a non-english speaking background. That kills overly patriotic statements at times which have negative connotations.

Hold on a second, is this a trend only seen in your high school or does this reflect ALL high schools in Australia? My high school was 60% Spanish, 20% black and 20% white or so only because i live in the southern part of Florida that is basically known as "northern Cuba" But if you go somewhere further north like Virginia or Ohio, then things change.

My point is, is this population of your high school in Australia similar to most other high schools, or is it one of the ones that stands out due to the region you are in?

Nevertheless, the first 2 years of history at high school have nothing (besides half of 1 of 4 terms) Australian about them. Then you have 2 years of Australian history, but a fairly decent amount of that is within an international context, looking at relationships with the US and Britain in particular. For instance, you can't talk about Australia in WWII without learning about the Japanese threat, and that relates to the US and other factors. In the US it's extremely easy to have a curriculum without any knowledge of Australian involvement (which was minor) . Immediately you have a degree of brilliance and overestimation developing...

That makes a lot of sense
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 12:53:54 AM
At 9/23/2012 12:09:19 AM, darkkermit wrote:

The mitigating factor for me though is that in my school 70% of students have a non-english speaking background.

Interesting. I thought it was mainly an english speaking nation.

It is! My school is nearby a school with a 90% Caucasian background. My school is an outlier, partially due to being a selective high school

That kills overly patriotic statements at times which have negative connotations. Nevertheless, the first 2 years of history at high school have nothing (besides half of 1 of 4 terms) Australian about them.

Well, the first 2 years of high school were "World history". However, it was pretty much eurocentric and I don't know why they didn't bother calling it "European history" which it really was, especially in my 2nd year in high school.

Then you have 2 years of Australian history, but a fairly decent amount of that is within an international context, looking at relationships with the US and Britain in particular. For instance, you can't talk about Australia in WWII without learning about the Japanese threat, and that relates to the US and other factors. In the US it's extremely easy to have a curriculum without any knowledge of Australian involvement (which was minor) . Immediately you have a degree of brilliance and overestimation developing...

Well, to be fair, its not as If the curriculum is going to cover all the nations that fought in WWII. They're only going to cover the major players: Japan, US, Great Britain, Soviet Union, Italy, China, Poland, France and Germany.

I agree completely. My point is that the US curriculum may be more US-centric than my curriculum is Australian centric because one can at least attempt to argue that US history is important. Can't do that with Australian history. That develops a certain mindset. I'm having difficulty explaining this concept, but essentially there are various reasons why American history is prioritised over other historical study, even if the impact of both time periods is the same.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 12:58:26 AM
@Logic, DK

Actually, I'm currently in HS right now, and my History class is covering everything but Western Nation(I include Australian n the just cause the similarities). So, I guess it's changed?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 1:00:46 AM
At 9/22/2012 10:40:16 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 9/22/2012 10:30:33 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

You were led on a propaganda campaign devoid of any facts, to topple a dictator who you previously supported, as a facade for imperialistic aims.

Yeah, Americans are fvcktarded.

As long as we're the most-powerful-richest-last-superpower-if-we-go-down-everyone-else's-goes-with-us-fvcktarded, I'm alright with it.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 1:01:00 AM
At 9/23/2012 12:58:26 AM, OberHerr wrote:
@Logic, DK

Actually, I'm currently in HS right now, and my History class is covering everything but Western Nation(I include Australian n the just cause the similarities). So, I guess it's changed?

whats the actual name of the history class?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 1:06:16 AM
At 9/23/2012 1:01:00 AM, imabench wrote:
@Logic, DK

World History? We're just focusing on Cultural Hearths, but I think it's just an excuse for them to act all diverse by telling us Asia's/Africa's countries history. Not that I care, it's interesting, but I mean.....that's how it feels, which makes it seem less sincere...

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 1:54:46 AM
At 9/23/2012 1:06:16 AM, OberHerr wrote:
@Logic, DK

World History? We're just focusing on Cultural Hearths, but I think it's just an excuse for them to act all diverse by telling us Asia's/Africa's countries history. Not that I care, it's interesting, but I mean.....that's how it feels, which makes it seem less sincere...

well its been over 6 years since I took world history (fvck I'm old!!!!). However, I don't think that the way of teaching things would change that much in 6 years. I think it would be more different as a function of region than school.

But who knows. I always find it kind of ridiculous when people say that "the stuff that people learn in college will be obsulte in 5 years because of changing technology".

Yea, I don't think the laws of physics will change in 5 years. Technology moves much slower than most people think.
Open borders debate:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 1:58:24 AM
At 9/23/2012 1:54:46 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/23/2012 1:06:16 AM, OberHerr wrote:
@Logic, DK

well its been over 6 years since I took world history (fvck I'm old!!!!). However, I don't think that the way of teaching things would change that much in 6 years. I think it would be more different as a function of region than school.

But who knows. I always find it kind of ridiculous when people say that "the stuff that people learn in college will be obsulte in 5 years because of changing technology".

Yea, I don't think the laws of physics will change in 5 years. Technology moves much slower than most people think.

I took it about three years ago, and from what Dark described that class as not much has changed. World history focuses on just about all civilizations OUTSIDE the US since the US has only until recently had little impact on world events. That class does get boring when your going from 1200 to 1600, but it gets really good if your lucky enough to get into World Wars I and II.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 2:01:49 AM
@Logic_on_rails.

I get what your saying. Us history naturally makes it easy to use as propaganda. More so than Australia. Its an easier exaggeration to believe. Stating that "The US ended fascism" is a much easier lie to believe than "Australia ended fascism".
Its easy for the US to develop a nationalistic and egoistic attitude.
Open borders debate:
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 2:13:48 AM
At 9/23/2012 2:01:49 AM, darkkermit wrote:
@Logic_on_rails.

I get what your saying. Us history naturally makes it easy to use as propaganda. More so than Australia. Its an easier exaggeration to believe. Stating that "The US ended fascism" is a much easier lie to believe than "Australia ended fascism".
Its easy for the US to develop a nationalistic and egoistic attitude.

Plus, we're any extremely rich and powerful superpower. While I don't believe we ended Facism, or created Democracy, or whatever, I do have a nationalistic view of us I suppose. But, how powerful and how much we have done in only 200 years helps fuel that view.