9/10 blacks support Obama...Racism?

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 2:39:23 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Discuss

Personally I think its rather ridiculous that politics works like this. Some day in the future I'd love to see that race does not become a factor in elections. You can say whites are voting for McCain however I think you'll find that this is less extreme than 90%
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
funnybrad333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 3:30:01 PM
Didn't you get the memo?

Blacks and chicks can do whatever they want, they have more rights.
If I didn't answer what you said, try bolding the important part.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 4:12:46 PM
At 11/3/2008 3:30:01 PM, funnybrad333 wrote:
Didn't you get the memo?

Blacks and chicks can do whatever they want, they have more rights.

"They have more rights"...more rights than whom? "Normal" people? That is a pretty revealing way to word that.

And also, that is pretty far from the truth to say that blacks can do whatever they want. Many people have sub-conscious racism which leads different minorities and ethnicities being treated differently, i.e. suspected of thief, or more prone to be pulled over.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 4:34:39 PM
At 11/3/2008 4:07:02 PM, Harlan wrote:
Ill throw in my 2 cents and say its more of a cultural thing than a specifically racial thing.

But should cultural pride dictate who is elected to be (supposedly) the most powerful man in the world?

I think many can agree that had white voters voted 9/10 for McCain, this act would be considered rather racist reguardless of whether whites said they were voting for him because they were proud of their color and because he is the first oldest white guy that has ever ran.

If cultural pride is allowed to dictate an election, then it is truely a sad day in American history. I think many can agree that if Obama's color was not black, 9/10 African American voters would not be voting for him and thus the outcome would be entirely different.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 5:10:17 PM
At 11/3/2008 4:34:39 PM, askbob wrote:
At 11/3/2008 4:07:02 PM, Harlan wrote:
Ill throw in my 2 cents and say its more of a cultural thing than a specifically racial thing.

But should cultural pride dictate who is elected to be (supposedly) the most powerful man in the world?

I think many can agree that had white voters voted 9/10 for McCain, this act would be considered rather racist reguardless of whether whites said they were voting for him because they were proud of their color and because he is the first oldest white guy that has ever ran.

If cultural pride is allowed to dictate an election, then it is truely a sad day in American history. I think many can agree that if Obama's color was not black, 9/10 African American voters would not be voting for him and thus the outcome would be entirely different.

No, not cultural pride. When I say culture, I am reffering to the beliefs and ways of acting of a group of people. For instance, gun-lovers might want a republican president for more gun rights, and impoverished people might want a democratic president, for a tax system more in their favor. It hasn't anything to do with color or pride, it is merely ideology.

And no, 9/10 of white people do not support McCain, because if they did, he would so far in the polls that no one would even consider the possibility of Obama winning.

In 2000, 9/10 of blacks voted for gore, which is proof that the current support for Obama is not based necessarily on color, but on ideology which appeals to people of a certain economic social and cultural status who are black.

If you don't believe me, you can see the voting results of the 2000 election here: http://www.cnn.com...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 6:54:22 PM
No, not cultural pride. When I say culture, I am reffering to the beliefs and ways of acting of a group of people. For instance, gun-lovers might want a republican president for more gun rights, and impoverished people might want a democratic president, for a tax system more in their favor. It hasn't anything to do with color or pride, it is merely ideology.

I understand why gun-lovers support a president but gun lovers can be of either race. What I don't understand is how a group solely composed of one race can have the same values and ideas. This is not so for the white population.

And no, 9/10 of white people do not support McCain, because if they did, he would so far in the polls that no one would even consider the possibility of Obama winning.

No I didn't say he did. Thats why I used the word "had"

In 2000, 9/10 of blacks voted for gore, which is proof that the current support for Obama is not based necessarily on color, but on ideology which appeals to people of a certain economic social and cultural status who are black.

If you don't believe me, you can see the voting results of the 2000 election here: http://www.cnn.com...

Well this was something that I did not formerly know. However I do not see why 9/10 of a race of people support one viewpoint. I'm not saying that it should be 50/50 however 90% is rather ridiculous.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 7:06:53 PM
Well this was something that I did not formerly know. However I do not see why 9/10 of a race of people support one viewpoint.

Well ya see bob... back in the day most blacks in America were enslaved. This resulted in a certain solidarity, with anyone who didn't join their little voting bloc for the Republicans who freed them being labelled a race traitor. And because People are Stupid™, they pick their ideology from the party they prefer, rather than vice versa... and they've gotten so used to their voting bloc that they haven't figured out it's a dumb idea in a post-Jim Crow world. The bloc shifts from party to party whenever the parties shift , but anyone who leaves the bloc gains a lot of enemies.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Robert_Santurri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 7:20:44 PM
So 88% of blacks supported Kerry in 04. That's Racism?

And 83% supported Clinton in 92 and 84% in 96. That's racism?

Blacks since JFK have traditionally voted Democrat.

More evidence:

82% supported Carter in 1980.

82% supported Carter in 1976.

So therefore, this thread is epic fail.
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-- Edward R. Murrow

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-- Robert Frost
Dnick94
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 7:22:34 PM
At 11/3/2008 7:20:44 PM, Robert_Santurri wrote:

More evidence:

What if Obama was a republican? Would he still be winning in the election?
"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them."
-Albert Einstein
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 7:23:41 PM
At 11/3/2008 7:20:44 PM, Robert_Santurri wrote:

More evidence:

Well, when you consider that Democrats are the party with most of the support of racial discrimination... (affirmative action)

removes a bit of epicness no?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 8:20:31 PM
At 11/3/2008 6:54:22 PM, askbob wrote:

Well this was something that I did not formerly know. However I do not see why 9/10 of a race of people support one viewpoint. I'm not saying that it should be 50/50 however 90% is rather ridiculous.

Im not sure. It might have to do with economic status. Also, just like being black is hereditary, often political views are too. Theres probably something deeper than this, but I don't know what it is, so yeah.
HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2008 8:54:08 PM
"impoverished people might want a democratic president, for a tax system more in their favor."

Harlan,
How do you make a tax system more in favor of a group (the impoverished) who currently pay no taxes at all? Do blacks honestly believe allowing the impoverished a free ride is not enough? Must we also pay them to be U.S. citizens, as Obama wants to do? Does this idea strike any liberals on this site as bizarre?
Sweatingjojo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 5:28:12 AM
9 out of 10 blacks didn't support Alan Keyes. I'm sure there are some black voters who are inclined to vote for Brock just because he's black, just as there are white folks who are inclined to vote for JMac because he's white.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 8:18:56 AM
At 11/4/2008 5:28:12 AM, Sweatingjojo wrote:
9 out of 10 blacks didn't support Alan Keyes. I'm sure there are some black voters who are inclined to vote for Brock just because he's black, just as there are white folks who are inclined to vote for JMac because he's not black.

I fixed your quote, Jojo.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 9:05:10 AM
At 11/3/2008 8:54:08 PM, HandsOff wrote:
"impoverished people might want a democratic president, for a tax system more in their favor."

Harlan,
How do you make a tax system more in favor of a group (the impoverished) who currently pay no taxes at all? Do blacks honestly believe allowing the impoverished a free ride is not enough? Must we also pay them to be U.S. citizens, as Obama wants to do? Does this idea strike any liberals on this site as bizarre?

Oh wait, we already have a system like that, it's called welfare.
Honestly, it's nothing new. It's redistribution wealth. Those who disagree with capitalism as far as economic fairness is concerned are usually in favor of redistribution of wealth, since they believe the distribution as a result of capitalism is unfair.
Mr.Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 3:06:40 PM
This is not racism, just think about. How many black people do you know can relate to John McCain and his brand of old-school politics. Besides if you were to chop it down a bit, you'll see that it's more "a Time for Change" thing. Many people, not jsut black people, are feed up with the old-school, run'n'gun em type policy that Republicans have been integrating into society. So I'd say it's more of a policy/party thing than it is a race thing.
http://s256.photobucket.com...
Final Fantasy Fan (FFF)
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 3:19:01 PM
At 11/3/2008 8:54:08 PM, HandsOff wrote:

Harlan,

Staying on the current topic: That would be more favorable for those impoverished, and therefore they would be more inclined to vote for a democratic president... you haven't changed anything, but have reinforced my point.
HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 3:37:20 PM
"Oh wait, we already have a system like that, it's called welfare.
Honestly, it's nothing new."

Your favorite argument comes to surface again: A ridiculous phenomena exists, therefore, it must be okay. It think that fallacy is called the "Appeal to Common Practice."
HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 3:42:44 PM
you haven't changed anything, but have reinforced my point.

If you're asking me to refute that people vote for what is in their personal best interest versus what is right or fair, your talking to the wrong guy. Ben Franklin's statement that "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch," has never been more true than on this historical day when the slackers finally outnumbered the rest of us.
Danger_Chams-Eddine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 3:56:52 PM
This a great topic and reading all of the post on this forumn gives me a new look on what other people think on race in America.

I am asking all of you when you give your opinion on race relations to please address what "race" you identify with. I am asking this purely out of curiosity because i am interest about what other races think of this topic. I promise that i will not call you out as a racist if you do not agree with me and we are of two different races. I am African American and i feel that if 9/10 blacks support Obama it is not racism. I feel this way because my definition of racism is when verbal or physical assualt is caste upon a certain ethinic group or person based on race or ethnicity. If blacks are voting for Obama because Obama is black, that is not racism. You call this a majority of people who happen to be black and based their reasons for voting on race. The 9/10 of blacks have not done anything racist. If 9/10 of whites voted for McCain that would not be racist either.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 4:55:48 PM
At 11/4/2008 3:37:20 PM, HandsOff wrote:
"Oh wait, we already have a system like that, it's called welfare.
Honestly, it's nothing new."

Your favorite argument comes to surface again: A ridiculous phenomena exists, therefore, it must be okay. It think that fallacy is called the "Appeal to Common Practice."

You were insinuating that liberals would tend to disagree with that system. My response was valid, given your claim. I showed that what you call ridiculous is in fact a form of something liberals tend to support.

On whether or not the plan is good or not, I can't say I really know. Based on my guiding principle of maximization of productivity, it would take a lot of analysis as well as a great deal of statistics to figure out whether this is definitively good or bad.
Of course, as always, we the people put our country in the hands of those we elect - and for these policy changes to occur, the legislative branch would have to vote for it.

Not that democracy is very good, mind you, but it's what we have.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 5:40:37 PM
I am asking all of you when you give your opinion on race relations to please address what "race" you identify with.

I identify with myself.
Mr.Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 5:49:33 PM
Not that democracy is very good, mind you, but it's what we have.

Well I, personally, would rather have a democracy rather than an oligarchy, where poeple would be rigging elections with impunity and forcing citizens to vote for certain candidates. Take a look at the type of "election" China has, than compare it to ours, and you should feel grateful. Also I believe democracy is better than any autocracy, because we get to VOTE. Not a rigged vote, or a scare vote but actually citizens being able to decide on the issues that effect them. Democracy is good because we, the people, get to decide on issues.
http://s256.photobucket.com...
Final Fantasy Fan (FFF)
brittany11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 7:00:10 PM
Well I don't agree that all blacks support Obama.. Everybody has there own opinion on this matter. Whether they be black or white or yellow or green. And on that note, since Who ever thinks that "blacks support Obama..Rasicm?" what if blacks said.."whites support McCain..Rasicm?" You would've immediately responded to this and had something fly to say. But yet you're probably just mad because you know that Obama has a great chance in winning, so you're basically thinking that.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 7:09:44 PM
I am African American and i feel that if 9/10 blacks support Obama it is not racism. I feel this way because my definition of racism is when verbal or physical assualt is caste upon a certain ethinic group or person based on race or ethnicity.

Really?

Cause that would contradict just about every definition of racism out there, including Obama's...

According to your definition, when the government decides "No sir, this is a white-only drinking fountain," that's not racism. When a restaurant refuses to serve you because of your race, that's not racism.

Based on my guiding principle of maximization of productivity,

Maximization of whose production of what to what purpose?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 7:10:33 PM
Democracy is good because we, the people, get to decide on issues.

Fallacy of the ambigous collective.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 7:43:01 PM
At 11/4/2008 7:00:10 PM, brittany11 wrote:
Well I don't agree that all blacks support Obama.. Everybody has there own opinion on this matter. Whether they be black or white or yellow or green. And on that note, since Who ever thinks that "blacks support Obama..Rasicm?" what if blacks said.."whites support McCain..Rasicm?" You would've immediately responded to this and had something fly to say. But yet you're probably just mad because you know that Obama has a great chance in winning, so you're basically thinking that.

The question isn't whether all blacks support Obama or not. 90% of them do. Thats a simple fact.

If blacks said "whites support McCain...Racism?" they would sincerely be making an odd point. Seeing as how 9/10 whites do not support McCain I do not see how this statement would apply.

No I'm not mad because Obama has a great chance of winning. I'm angry that a particular race votes in bulk one way or the other.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2008 8:02:15 PM
No I'm not mad because Obama has a great chance of winning. I'm angry that a particular race votes in bulk one way or the other.

This phenomenon could be seen as perplexing... but angering? Either you have serious temper problems, or you're blowing this out of proportion. It is extremely complex geographics that determine all of this social structure of our population, and it has been made clear that you yourself do not know that much on the details of it. So to merely look at one statistic, without details, and for you're immediate reaction to be anger of all things is frankly ridicilous.