Seven Principles of Good Government

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 9:19:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hey all,

Gov. Gary Johnson has released the book Seven Principles of Good Government earlier this year. Has anyone read it? If so, what were your thoughts? I'm thinking about ordering the book from amazon when I get my next pay check.

In a nutshell, this is what he argues is the seven principles of good government:

1. Become reality-driven. Don't kid yourself or others. Find out what's what and base your decisions and actions on that.

2. Always be honest and tell the truth. It is extremely difficult to do any real damage to people who are willing to tell the truth regardless of the consequences.

3. Always do what's right and fair. Remember, the more you actually accomplish, the louder your critics become. Learn to ignore them. Maintain your integrity and continue to do what's right.

4. Determine your goal. Develop a plan to reach that goal. Then act--don't procrastinate.

5. Make sure everyone who ought to know what you're doing, knows what you're doing.

6. Don't hesitate to deliver bad news. Acknowledge mistakes immediately. There may still be time to salvage things or to make corrections. Take Henry Kissinger's advice: "Anything that will be revealed eventually, should be revealed immediately."

7. Be willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. If your job doesn't excite you enough to follow this principle, resign and get a job you love enough to do what it takes.

I agree with all 7 points.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 9:29:58 AM
More like 7 Principles of Good Governing.

Good list from a pragmatic operational point of view.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 10:43:25 AM
At 9/26/2012 9:19:37 AM, Microsuck wrote:
Hey all,

Gov. Gary Johnson has released the book Seven Principles of Good Government earlier this year. Has anyone read it? If so, what were your thoughts? I'm thinking about ordering the book from amazon when I get my next pay check.

In a nutshell, this is what he argues is the seven principles of good government:

1. Become reality-driven. Don't kid yourself or others. Find out what's what and base your decisions and actions on that.

Be Rational, in short.

2. Always be honest and tell the truth. It is extremely difficult to do any real damage to people who are willing to tell the truth regardless of the consequences.

Not really, no. Again, there are a fairly large number of times where it is better not to tell the truth than it is. For example, war plans. And when someone goes "oh, there are obviously exceptions" is when these things become a bit less authoritative.

3. Always do what's right and fair. Remember, the more you actually accomplish, the louder your critics become. Learn to ignore them. Maintain your integrity and continue to do what's right.

Essentially, "do what's right" is, and shall always be, a stupid rule to how a government should act, and anyone with half a mind will explain why: no-one tries to actively make their lives (end goal) worse.

4. Determine your goal. Develop a plan to reach that goal. Then act--don't procrastinate.

Is this really a principle of "good government"? If a person did this, great, if a government did this, i'd probably kick them out, due to my inclination towards due process and tolerance. With that caveate in mind, though, the entire point becomes a bit pointless.

5. Make sure everyone who ought to know what you're doing, knows what you're doing.

One pretty much entirely good thing.

6. Don't hesitate to deliver bad news. Acknowledge mistakes immediately. There may still be time to salvage things or to make corrections. Take Henry Kissinger's advice: "Anything that will be revealed eventually, should be revealed immediately."

Bah! Humbug.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Last ten minutes of that makes my point in the form of enjoyable satire.

7. Be willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. If your job doesn't excite you enough to follow this principle, resign and get a job you love enough to do what it takes.

No, don't be willing to do "whatever it takes to get the job done". There's many times where one does not, because that mentality leads to stupid decisions with are repeatedly going to fail. For example, dealing with terrorists because they have a soldier by giving them weapons or bomb makers is a stupid idea, even if you think it will "get the job done". A better idea would be to find your boundaries, find your goal, and follow the path, but take away a boundary or a goal and you've now got a terrible system.

I agree with all 7 points.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 12:38:24 PM
Sorry, but that seems like pre-Machiavelli filosofi rules that just doesn't work when they hit reality.

The book may change my mind, but unless it gets translated to Danish, so I can download it for free, I am just not going to spend money to read it.