Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

North Korea: Orwellian as it gets

PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 2:57:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Watched the infamous Lisa Ling coverage inside North Korea last night on Netflix. Obviously we're all aware of how oppressive their government is and how brainwashed its tenants are, but until you really see the day to day, you can't fully appreciate just how f*cked up that place is.

It's as close to 1984 as anything we've ever known.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 4:44:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've watched practically every video on North Korea. It truly is bizarre. Check out the Vice documentary as well.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 7:42:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/26/2012 4:42:26 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
Just found this fun in context.

Youtube have banned that video for my country <.<

I made a 9-11 memorial video, and youtube said it was banned in some countries. Ended up deleting it because the video got messed up when I published it from movie maker.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 7:02:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is one of those cultures on Earth I feel like I couldn't even begin to understand.

And, when I say the ones I don't understand, I'm not talking about obscure African tribes. Those guys make sense.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 7:38:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 7:02:34 AM, OberHerr wrote:
This is one of those cultures on Earth I feel like I couldn't even begin to understand.

And, when I say the ones I don't understand, I'm not talking about obscure African tribes. Those guys make sense.

Picture a monotheistic religion with a human being as its leader (Kim Jong-un), then add the holy book (propaganda), the religious services (indoctrination centers), and the tithes (taxation). That's practically it.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 8:20:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 7:38:25 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 7:02:34 AM, OberHerr wrote:
This is one of those cultures on Earth I feel like I couldn't even begin to understand.

And, when I say the ones I don't understand, I'm not talking about obscure African tribes. Those guys make sense.

Picture a monotheistic religion with a human being as its leader (Kim Jong-un), then add the holy book (propaganda), the religious services (indoctrination centers), and the tithes (taxation). That's practically it.:

100%

The Glorious Leader and Glorious General are deified as de facto gods in the absence of some transcendent, incorporeal being. It's as if North Korea is one gigantic cult. It's a sociologist's wet dream when it comes to human behavior.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
slo1
Posts: 4,359
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 8:35:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
That documentary made me sick when all the people were taking off their eye bandages and gooing all over the Dear Leader as the guy who healed them rather than the Tibetian Dr. who performed the surgery.

I forget who, but someone posted a vid of a fundamentalism christian church indoctrinating kids by the use of over the top emotions. It is no different than North Korea where they indoctrinated the masses. The only difference is that NK used fear as the emotion.

It is a lesson all should heed. The human psyche is rather delicate and prone to manipulation by those in power without most knowing it.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 8:35:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 8:20:36 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 9/27/2012 7:38:25 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 7:02:34 AM, OberHerr wrote:
This is one of those cultures on Earth I feel like I couldn't even begin to understand.

And, when I say the ones I don't understand, I'm not talking about obscure African tribes. Those guys make sense.

Picture a monotheistic religion with a human being as its leader (Kim Jong-un), then add the holy book (propaganda), the religious services (indoctrination centers), and the tithes (taxation). That's practically it.:

100%

The Glorious Leader and Glorious General are deified as de facto gods in the absence of some transcendent, incorporeal being. It's as if North Korea is one gigantic cult. It's a sociologist's wet dream when it comes to human behavior.

It is hard to understand, because it's a cult like mentality for an entire nation, with virtually no dissidents. Even if freedom was introduced to this particular society, the people are so effed up in the head that they couldn't cope. There is a psychological dependence that they have on their leader that goes beyond any sort of devotion that we understand. I remember watching another documentary on the country, where an eye doctor was permitted to enter to help the people, while one of his assistants was making the covert documentary - it was fascinating, but really creepy.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 8:45:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 8:20:36 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 9/27/2012 7:38:25 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 7:02:34 AM, OberHerr wrote:
This is one of those cultures on Earth I feel like I couldn't even begin to understand.

And, when I say the ones I don't understand, I'm not talking about obscure African tribes. Those guys make sense.

Picture a monotheistic religion with a human being as its leader (Kim Jong-un), then add the holy book (propaganda), the religious services (indoctrination centers), hell (concentration camps), and the tithes (taxation). That's practically it.:

100%

The Glorious Leader and Glorious General are deified as de facto gods in the absence of some transcendent, incorporeal being. It's as if North Korea is one gigantic cult. It's a sociologist's wet dream when it comes to human behavior.

Yep, and I can understand how it becomes that way via a Korean history of international bullies and increasingly fear-based politics.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 8:49:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Glorious Leader and Glorious General are deified as de facto gods in the absence of some transcendent, incorporeal being. It's as if North Korea is one gigantic cult. It's a sociologist's wet dream when it comes to human behavior.

It is hard to understand, because it's a cult like mentality for an entire nation, with virtually no dissidents. Even if freedom was introduced to this particular society, the people are so effed up in the head that they couldn't cope. There is a psychological dependence that they have on their leader that goes beyond any sort of devotion that we understand. I remember watching another documentary on the country, where an eye doctor was permitted to enter to help the people, while one of his assistants was making the covert documentary - it was fascinating, but really creepy.:

100% agree.

In fact, I've read stories of defectors having a very hard time integrating into Chinese or South Korean culture because they've been mentally crippled by the dependency the NK government fostered.

The only way to do this is the long, hard road -- the road the West fought against China. China's introduction to economic freedom was slow and arduous. Sadly, it will take multiple decades to slowly introduce freedom to North Korea. And that will only happen if dissent occurs on a massive scale. Many people will die in that struggle, but at least they won't die in vain, in my estimation.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 8:51:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 8:45:01 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 8:20:36 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 9/27/2012 7:38:25 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 7:02:34 AM, OberHerr wrote:
This is one of those cultures on Earth I feel like I couldn't even begin to understand.

And, when I say the ones I don't understand, I'm not talking about obscure African tribes. Those guys make sense.

Picture a monotheistic religion with a human being as its leader (Kim Jong-un), then add the holy book (propaganda), the religious services (indoctrination centers), hell (concentration camps), and the tithes (taxation). That's practically it.:

100%

The Glorious Leader and Glorious General are deified as de facto gods in the absence of some transcendent, incorporeal being. It's as if North Korea is one gigantic cult. It's a sociologist's wet dream when it comes to human behavior.

Yep, and I can understand how it becomes that way via a Korean history of international bullies and increasingly fear-based politics.

I don't know about that, by such criteria there would be dozens, if not hundreds of North Korea like countries. Cult of personality, desperate poverty, and lots of guns pointed inward as well as outward has much to do with it.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 9:02:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The best part of this video is at 41:00-42:00. After the Nepalese doctor performs surgery on the woman, and then removes the material for its healing, the father says, "It's all because of the Great General. We must bow to our Great General for this." I laughed pretty hard at that. This is a real-life tragicomedy.

It's kind of like when Christians go in for a surgical procedure, and they pray to God is goes well, and it does, then they say, "Praise be to God for this."

It's never "thanks to the doctor for taking the tangible steps to cure my affliction" with these cult-like members.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 9:14:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 9:02:40 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The best part of this video is at 41:00-42:00. After the Nepalese doctor performs surgery on the woman, and then removes the material for its healing, the father says, "It's all because of the Great General. We must bow to our Great General for this." I laughed pretty hard at that. This is a real-life tragicomedy.

It's kind of like when Christians go in for a surgical procedure, and they pray to God is goes well, and it does, then they say, "Praise be to God for this."

It's never "thanks to the doctor for taking the tangible steps to cure my affliction" with these cult-like members.

I see it more like a "Thanks to the great general because he have made the surgery possible"

I is just something I can recognice from my own little country. When people you know get hit pretty bad by medical conditions I can't help send a little thankfull thought to the state that provides it.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 9:16:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 8:49:21 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The Glorious Leader and Glorious General are deified as de facto gods in the absence of some transcendent, incorporeal being. It's as if North Korea is one gigantic cult. It's a sociologist's wet dream when it comes to human behavior.

It is hard to understand, because it's a cult like mentality for an entire nation, with virtually no dissidents. Even if freedom was introduced to this particular society, the people are so effed up in the head that they couldn't cope. There is a psychological dependence that they have on their leader that goes beyond any sort of devotion that we understand. I remember watching another documentary on the country, where an eye doctor was permitted to enter to help the people, while one of his assistants was making the covert documentary - it was fascinating, but really creepy.:

100% agree.

In fact, I've read stories of defectors having a very hard time integrating into Chinese or South Korean culture because they've been mentally crippled by the dependency the NK government fostered.

The only way to do this is the long, hard road -- the road the West fought against China. China's introduction to economic freedom was slow and arduous. Sadly, it will take multiple decades to slowly introduce freedom to North Korea. And that will only happen if dissent occurs on a massive scale. Many people will die in that struggle, but at least they won't die in vain, in my estimation.

I'm not even sure that such a path is possible, at least while this breed of dictator is in charge. They are content to allow the people to starve to death, whereas the Chinese understood that economic power meant world power, and starving people meant third world status. The dictators in NK, are really okay with third world status, starving citizenry, and an undefined role in world politics. It is probably the biggest tragedy on earth right now, and that's really saying something.
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 9:27:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I remembered there was a Danish comedian couple who visited North Korea some years ago. They kind of made fun with them, while secretly tapping what they saw and what happened. The only thing none danes can see is some small youtube clips.

First clip is an interview with the Filmmaker(English)

Second is a small clip from a Danish youth channel about it. Most of it is in Danish, but quit a bit in the start is in English.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 9:38:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 9:14:36 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:02:40 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The best part of this video is at 41:00-42:00. After the Nepalese doctor performs surgery on the woman, and then removes the material for its healing, the father says, "It's all because of the Great General. We must bow to our Great General for this." I laughed pretty hard at that. This is a real-life tragicomedy.

It's kind of like when Christians go in for a surgical procedure, and they pray to God is goes well, and it does, then they say, "Praise be to God for this."

It's never "thanks to the doctor for taking the tangible steps to cure my affliction" with these cult-like members.

I see it more like a "Thanks to the great general because he have made the surgery possible"

I is just something I can recognice from my own little country. When people you know get hit pretty bad by medical conditions I can't help send a little thankfull thought to the state that provides it.

You have to be kidding me. I'm guessing you haven't watched the documentary, nor possess any knowledge of economics or political science. In your case, you're saying 'thank you' to an organizational entity that provides you a shittier service at a higher price (although spread-out on many people). The more state-involvement in medicine, the shittier it is (although there are some exceptions to countries with high savings rates and general economic freedom like Singapore and Hong Kong).
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 9:46:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
North Korea's almost as Orwellian as the United States.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 9:52:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not even sure that such a path is possible, at least while this breed of dictator is in charge. They are content to allow the people to starve to death, whereas the Chinese understood that economic power meant world power, and starving people meant third world status. The dictators in NK, are really okay with third world status, starving citizenry, and an undefined role in world politics. It is probably the biggest tragedy on earth right now, and that's really saying something.:

The only way it is possible is for the masses of North Korea to see for themselves what the world is like outside of their insular and myopic existence. Unfortunately, that government has done such a good job of keeping them in the dark, it is exactly how the narrator described it, "an information black hole," that you not only have to worry about the government but also the common people turning you in.

Sad. Pathetic. A shining example of totalitarianism.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 10:27:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 9:38:28 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:14:36 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:02:40 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The best part of this video is at 41:00-42:00. After the Nepalese doctor performs surgery on the woman, and then removes the material for its healing, the father says, "It's all because of the Great General. We must bow to our Great General for this." I laughed pretty hard at that. This is a real-life tragicomedy.

It's kind of like when Christians go in for a surgical procedure, and they pray to God is goes well, and it does, then they say, "Praise be to God for this."

It's never "thanks to the doctor for taking the tangible steps to cure my affliction" with these cult-like members.

I see it more like a "Thanks to the great general because he have made the surgery possible"

I is just something I can recognice from my own little country. When people you know get hit pretty bad by medical conditions I can't help send a little thankfull thought to the state that provides it.

You have to be kidding me. I'm guessing you haven't watched the documentary, nor possess any knowledge of economics or political science.
I saw quit a bit of it. It isn't enabled for my country so I had to use a proxy to watch it and youtube+proxy=Bad experience, but I'm pretty sure I saw the part we talking about.
I have quit abit of knowledge in economic and political science.
People aren't uneducated nor stupid, just because they sometimes disagree with you.
In your case, you're saying 'thank you' to an organizational entity that provides you a shittier service at a higher price (although spread-out on many people).
Yes, because America is known for having extremly good and cheap healthcare or not! All my experiences with my healthcare system have been nice and easy.
It doesn't really matter though. If the system saves the life of my loved ones I feel greatfull for it.
The more state-involvement in medicine, the shittier it is (although there are some exceptions to countries with high savings rates and general economic freedom like Singapore and Hong Kong).
I love your fanatical free market way of thinking, but I disagree. What the state does isn't always for the worse and what the market does is not always for the better.

I know how horrible the system in North Korea is. I was just trying to give the clip another perspective. Coming from a country with Universal Healthcare I kind of recognice that feeling of gratitude that goes not so much towards the doctor, but towards the state.
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 10:34:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 9:46:50 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
North Korea's almost as Orwellian as the United States.

you can leave now
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 10:45:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 10:34:13 AM, imabench wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:46:50 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
North Korea's almost as Orwellian as the United States.

you can leave now

North Korea does a terrible job of disguising it. The United States has masked it's Orwellian nature very successfully. They convinced the people and the rest of the world that it's free when it's not. I will make another thread that will shatter your world and prove you and your whole worldview wrong.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:06:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 10:27:10 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:38:28 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:14:36 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:02:40 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The best part of this video is at 41:00-42:00. After the Nepalese doctor performs surgery on the woman, and then removes the material for its healing, the father says, "It's all because of the Great General. We must bow to our Great General for this." I laughed pretty hard at that. This is a real-life tragicomedy.

It's kind of like when Christians go in for a surgical procedure, and they pray to God is goes well, and it does, then they say, "Praise be to God for this."

It's never "thanks to the doctor for taking the tangible steps to cure my affliction" with these cult-like members.

I see it more like a "Thanks to the great general because he have made the surgery possible"

I is just something I can recognice from my own little country. When people you know get hit pretty bad by medical conditions I can't help send a little thankfull thought to the state that provides it.

You have to be kidding me. I'm guessing you haven't watched the documentary, nor possess any knowledge of economics or political science.
I saw quit a bit of it. It isn't enabled for my country so I had to use a proxy to watch it and youtube+proxy=Bad experience, but I'm pretty sure I saw the part we talking about.
I have quit abit of knowledge in economic and political science.
People aren't uneducated nor stupid, just because they sometimes disagree with you.
In your case, you're saying 'thank you' to an organizational entity that provides you a shittier service at a higher price (although spread-out on many people).
Yes, because America is known for having extremly good and cheap healthcare or not! All my experiences with my healthcare system have been nice and easy.
It doesn't really matter though. If the system saves the life of my loved ones I feel greatfull for it.
The more state-involvement in medicine, the shittier it is (although there are some exceptions to countries with high savings rates and general economic freedom like Singapore and Hong Kong).
I love your fanatical free market way of thinking, but I disagree. What the state does isn't always for the worse and what the market does is not always for the better.

I know how horrible the system in North Korea is. I was just trying to give the clip another perspective. Coming from a country with Universal Healthcare I kind of recognice that feeling of gratitude that goes not so much towards the doctor, but towards the state.

Now I know you're joking. America doesn't have a free market, and hasn't had anything close to one for almost 100 years. It especially does not have a free market in health care. Take it from a free market economist: http://mises.org...

Would you like to debate on this subject? Resolved, the United States has free market health care.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:08:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 11:06:47 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 10:27:10 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:38:28 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:14:36 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:02:40 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The best part of this video is at 41:00-42:00. After the Nepalese doctor performs surgery on the woman, and then removes the material for its healing, the father says, "It's all because of the Great General. We must bow to our Great General for this." I laughed pretty hard at that. This is a real-life tragicomedy.

It's kind of like when Christians go in for a surgical procedure, and they pray to God is goes well, and it does, then they say, "Praise be to God for this."

It's never "thanks to the doctor for taking the tangible steps to cure my affliction" with these cult-like members.

I see it more like a "Thanks to the great general because he have made the surgery possible"

I is just something I can recognice from my own little country. When people you know get hit pretty bad by medical conditions I can't help send a little thankfull thought to the state that provides it.

You have to be kidding me. I'm guessing you haven't watched the documentary, nor possess any knowledge of economics or political science.
I saw quit a bit of it. It isn't enabled for my country so I had to use a proxy to watch it and youtube+proxy=Bad experience, but I'm pretty sure I saw the part we talking about.
I have quit abit of knowledge in economic and political science.
People aren't uneducated nor stupid, just because they sometimes disagree with you.
In your case, you're saying 'thank you' to an organizational entity that provides you a shittier service at a higher price (although spread-out on many people).
Yes, because America is known for having extremly good and cheap healthcare or not! All my experiences with my healthcare system have been nice and easy.
It doesn't really matter though. If the system saves the life of my loved ones I feel greatfull for it.
The more state-involvement in medicine, the shittier it is (although there are some exceptions to countries with high savings rates and general economic freedom like Singapore and Hong Kong).
I love your fanatical free market way of thinking, but I disagree. What the state does isn't always for the worse and what the market does is not always for the better.

I know how horrible the system in North Korea is. I was just trying to give the clip another perspective. Coming from a country with Universal Healthcare I kind of recognice that feeling of gratitude that goes not so much towards the doctor, but towards the state.

Now I know you're joking. America doesn't have a free market, and hasn't had anything close to one for almost 100 years. It especially does not have a free market in health care. Take it from a free market economist: http://mises.org...

Would you like to debate on this subject? Resolved, the United States has free market health care.

I didn't say the American had a free market, but it is much freer than what we have.
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:10:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 11:08:55 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/27/2012 11:06:47 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 10:27:10 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:38:28 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:14:36 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:02:40 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The best part of this video is at 41:00-42:00. After the Nepalese doctor performs surgery on the woman, and then removes the material for its healing, the father says, "It's all because of the Great General. We must bow to our Great General for this." I laughed pretty hard at that. This is a real-life tragicomedy.

It's kind of like when Christians go in for a surgical procedure, and they pray to God is goes well, and it does, then they say, "Praise be to God for this."

It's never "thanks to the doctor for taking the tangible steps to cure my affliction" with these cult-like members.

I see it more like a "Thanks to the great general because he have made the surgery possible"

I is just something I can recognice from my own little country. When people you know get hit pretty bad by medical conditions I can't help send a little thankfull thought to the state that provides it.

You have to be kidding me. I'm guessing you haven't watched the documentary, nor possess any knowledge of economics or political science.
I saw quit a bit of it. It isn't enabled for my country so I had to use a proxy to watch it and youtube+proxy=Bad experience, but I'm pretty sure I saw the part we talking about.
I have quit abit of knowledge in economic and political science.
People aren't uneducated nor stupid, just because they sometimes disagree with you.
In your case, you're saying 'thank you' to an organizational entity that provides you a shittier service at a higher price (although spread-out on many people).
Yes, because America is known for having extremly good and cheap healthcare or not! All my experiences with my healthcare system have been nice and easy.
It doesn't really matter though. If the system saves the life of my loved ones I feel greatfull for it.
The more state-involvement in medicine, the shittier it is (although there are some exceptions to countries with high savings rates and general economic freedom like Singapore and Hong Kong).
I love your fanatical free market way of thinking, but I disagree. What the state does isn't always for the worse and what the market does is not always for the better.

I know how horrible the system in North Korea is. I was just trying to give the clip another perspective. Coming from a country with Universal Healthcare I kind of recognice that feeling of gratitude that goes not so much towards the doctor, but towards the state.

Now I know you're joking. America doesn't have a free market, and hasn't had anything close to one for almost 100 years. It especially does not have a free market in health care. Take it from a free market economist: http://mises.org...

Would you like to debate on this subject? Resolved, the United States has free market health care.

I didn't say the American had a free market, but it is much freer than what we have.

At least when it comes to healthcare
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:22:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 11:08:55 AM, OllerupMand wrote:

I didn't say the American had a free market, but it is much freer than what we have.

Wrong again, buddy. On the most recent economic freedom ranking from the Fraser Institute, Denmark ranked 16th in economic freedom, while the United States ranked 19th.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:25:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 11:10:09 AM, OllerupMand wrote:
I didn't say the American had a free market, but it is much freer than what we have.
At least when it comes to healthcare

Cool
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:25:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 11:08:55 AM, OllerupMand wrote:

I didn't say the American had a free market, but it is much freer than what we have.

Wrong again, buddy. On the most recent economic freedom ranking from the Fraser Institute, Denmark ranked 16th in economic freedom, while the United States ranked 19th.

http://www.freetheworld.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
OllerupMand
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:28:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 11:22:47 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 11:08:55 AM, OllerupMand wrote:

I didn't say the American had a free market, but it is much freer than what we have.

Wrong again, buddy. On the most recent economic freedom ranking from the Fraser Institute, Denmark ranked 16th in economic freedom, while the United States ranked 19th.

At least when it comes to healthcare. Honestly your not reading what I am writting and this have very little to nothing with the point I was trying to make, so I rather just leave this thread and then you can argue with yourself if I was joking or not.
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 11:39:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 10:45:02 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 9/27/2012 10:34:13 AM, imabench wrote:
At 9/27/2012 9:46:50 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
North Korea's almost as Orwellian as the United States.

you can leave now

North Korea does a terrible job of disguising it. The United States has masked it's Orwellian nature very successfully. They convinced the people and the rest of the world that it's free when it's not. I will make another thread that will shatter your world and prove you and your whole worldview wrong.


Geo if I want to read someone else post their moronic, meaningless, incomprehensible bullsh*t all over the internet and claim they are right about the world based on little reasoning or facts, THEN ILL FOLLOW ALEX JONES.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015