Jump to topic:

Voter turnout

TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 10:10:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am doing a research paper on voter turnout. I was wondering why you all seem politically motivated, yet this does not seem to equate to significant numbers in society as a whole. I was also wondering if you were faced with the decision to increase voter turnout what would you do and why? No this will not be used in my paper, I'm looking for ways of brainstorming before I start my project. Thank you!
Thank you for voting!
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2012 10:19:51 PM
At 9/26/2012 10:10:27 PM, TheHitchslap wrote:
I am doing a research paper on voter turnout. I was wondering why you all seem politically motivated, yet this does not seem to equate to significant numbers in society as a whole.

Theres a lot more at stake here then there was in past elections which I think has some role in turnout. Like in 2004 when it was Bush vs Kerry, not anything spectacular was going on. 4 years later though the election was massive because of the economy and of course because a black guy was running for president... Some elections have more at stake and are more interesting then others and this one certainly qualifies. Im involved because there is a lot at stake and if there wasnt much at stake then Id probably just sit at home and watch. Other people may just not care about politics or be completely oblivious to everything that is going on....

I was also wondering if you were faced with the decision to increase voter turnout what would you do and why?

I wouldnt try to increase it simply because voter turnout isnt really an issue to worry about.

No this will not be used in my paper, I'm looking for ways of brainstorming before I start my project. Thank you!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:11:36 AM
At 9/26/2012 10:10:27 PM, TheHitchslap wrote:
I am doing a research paper on voter turnout. I was wondering why you all seem politically motivated, yet this does not seem to equate to significant numbers in society as a whole. I was also wondering if you were faced with the decision to increase voter turnout what would you do and why? No this will not be used in my paper, I'm looking for ways of brainstorming before I start my project. Thank you!

I don't see how your equation works. In America, voter turnout for presidential elections is about 50%, with most of these people voting on represntives at this time. In midterm elections, voter turnout looks to be about 35% on average. I doubt half of people on DDO comment on politics.

Also, there is a huge difference between arguing about politics and voting, and between voting and being active. I am not sure what your definition for "politically motivated" is.

As far as getting out the vote, I wouldn't care to. If people don't want to make the effort to vote, they probably aren't informed, either. In my opinion, too many people cast ballots based on one single issue ("I don't care about anything else, only if the candidate is pro-choice") or a self-serving bias ("I'll be better off because I'll get more welfare" or "My taxes will be lower with this guy"). If these people didn't vote, the chances of good statesmen, those that do what's best for the country and not what gets them re-elected, being elected would be better. Some of the issues we have is because politicians would rather be re-elected than tackle serious issues, like entitlements and overspending.

If I did want to get out the vote, though, I would advocate for easier/quicker voting. I think a huge turnoff is long waits or even leaving the house. So, more polling stations and online options would probably up the turnout. But, again, if these people can't sacrifice a bit to vote, I would rather them not vote at all.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:55:19 AM
Are you seriously saying that you don't understand why a forum for the politically active has so many politically active people, but this does not represent the general population? I mean, that's pretty obvious...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...