Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Just how libertarian is Gary Johnson?

MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:22:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Not very: [http://antiwar.com...]

Thoughts?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 12:40:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
He's trying to head the U.S. government. How libertarian did you think he was? Obviously he's miles ahead of Obamney but on his own I don't like him. It's not who's in power that's the problem, but the position of that power in the first place.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:02:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
From your link:

"There's nothing incoherent or un-libertarian in Government Johnson's well thought-out foreign policy, formed in systematic consultation with defense scholars from the libertarian Cato Institute and elsewhere. Like Dr. Paul the governor would cut a trillion dollars from the budget, which would necessitate bringing the troops home and ending foreign aid.

Mr. Johnson recognizes that defending our national security requires some forward-located bases and technology, in combination with our own intelligence and those of our allies, to remain vigilant to the risks of terrorism and nuclear threats. Like Dr. Paul the governor would expand trade to make friends of enemies, and boost diplomacy to replace the jingoism that's the first route chosen by Obama and his clone Romney. For emergencies like a genocide he'd request congressional authority first, and then invite volunteers who'd want to get in and then get out.

The over-reaction by some libertarians to Governor Johnson's nuanced foreign policy wasn't shared by Daniel Larison of American Conservative, who sees more to like about it:
http://www.theamericanconservative.com...;
"
*
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:11:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Be sure to watch the interview, too:
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:15:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Basically Gary Johnson isn't Libertarian because he doesn't feel comfortable standing by watching a genocide happen while having the means to stop it, and fails to act.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:22:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 1:15:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Basically Gary Johnson isn't Libertarian because he doesn't feel comfortable standing by watching a genocide happen while having the means to stop it, and fails to act.

It's all about perspective. In comparison to anarchists, Johnson isn't as libertarian as he is in relation to neo-conservatives. So if you're talking to an anarchist or a more extreme libertarian, they're not going to think Johnson is *that* libertarian. On the other hand talk to an average Obama supporter and he's impossibly fringe in that respect.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 1:53:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 1:15:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Basically Gary Johnson isn't Libertarian because he doesn't feel comfortable standing by watching a genocide happen while having the means to stop it, and fails to act.

What?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 2:15:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 1:15:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Basically Gary Johnson isn't Libertarian because he doesn't feel comfortable standing by watching a genocide happen while having the means to stop it, and fails to act.

Why couldn't a privately-funded tactical team accomplish that?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 2:19:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 2:15:49 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 1:15:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Basically Gary Johnson isn't Libertarian because he doesn't feel comfortable standing by watching a genocide happen while having the means to stop it, and fails to act.

Why couldn't a privately-funded tactical team accomplish that?

Those don't exist yet. Whether non-State solutions are possible, the fact remains that we're not currently in a state of anarchy and while States exist, anarchist institutions won't be able to form in that way. I mean charities can take over welfare while it's ongoing but I don't see that happening with foreign defense services.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 2:33:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 2:19:45 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/27/2012 2:15:49 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 1:15:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Basically Gary Johnson isn't Libertarian because he doesn't feel comfortable standing by watching a genocide happen while having the means to stop it, and fails to act.

Why couldn't a privately-funded tactical team accomplish that?

Those don't exist yet. Whether non-State solutions are possible, the fact remains that we're not currently in a state of anarchy and while States exist, anarchist institutions won't be able to form in that way. I mean charities can take over welfare while it's ongoing but I don't see that happening with foreign defense services.

http://feraljundi.com...

Oh they exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Also, Blackwater comes to mind for a private military force.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 2:36:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There's really no defining line between anarchy and a state. Its more like a gradient. I sort of take the position of CosmicAlfonzo that there really is no state. At the very least, the US certainly doesn't have a "monopoly on violence".
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 2:38:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 2:33:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/27/2012 2:19:45 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/27/2012 2:15:49 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 1:15:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Basically Gary Johnson isn't Libertarian because he doesn't feel comfortable standing by watching a genocide happen while having the means to stop it, and fails to act.

Why couldn't a privately-funded tactical team accomplish that?

Those don't exist yet. Whether non-State solutions are possible, the fact remains that we're not currently in a state of anarchy and while States exist, anarchist institutions won't be able to form in that way. I mean charities can take over welfare while it's ongoing but I don't see that happening with foreign defense services.

http://feraljundi.com...

Oh they exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Also, Blackwater comes to mind for a private military force.

But I don't think these can exist independent of a governing body like a charity organization can. I admit I haven't read a lot into it but am I correct to infer that they mostly exist in conjunction with the military?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 2:45:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 2:38:37 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/27/2012 2:33:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/27/2012 2:19:45 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/27/2012 2:15:49 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 1:15:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Basically Gary Johnson isn't Libertarian because he doesn't feel comfortable standing by watching a genocide happen while having the means to stop it, and fails to act.

Why couldn't a privately-funded tactical team accomplish that?

Those don't exist yet. Whether non-State solutions are possible, the fact remains that we're not currently in a state of anarchy and while States exist, anarchist institutions won't be able to form in that way. I mean charities can take over welfare while it's ongoing but I don't see that happening with foreign defense services.

http://feraljundi.com...

Oh they exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Also, Blackwater comes to mind for a private military force.

But I don't think these can exist independent of a governing body like a charity organization can. I admit I haven't read a lot into it but am I correct to infer that they mostly exist in conjunction with the military?

Watergate, yes. However, they are a private company and offer services worldwide. Paramilitary activity: no, they are not part of the state and sometimes despised by the state.

Ross Perot, his rescue team wasn't affiliated with the US government.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2012 2:55:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/27/2012 2:45:49 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/27/2012 2:38:37 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/27/2012 2:33:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 9/27/2012 2:19:45 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/27/2012 2:15:49 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/27/2012 1:15:53 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Basically Gary Johnson isn't Libertarian because he doesn't feel comfortable standing by watching a genocide happen while having the means to stop it, and fails to act.

Why couldn't a privately-funded tactical team accomplish that?

Those don't exist yet. Whether non-State solutions are possible, the fact remains that we're not currently in a state of anarchy and while States exist, anarchist institutions won't be able to form in that way. I mean charities can take over welfare while it's ongoing but I don't see that happening with foreign defense services.

http://feraljundi.com...

Oh they exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Also, Blackwater comes to mind for a private military force.

But I don't think these can exist independent of a governing body like a charity organization can. I admit I haven't read a lot into it but am I correct to infer that they mostly exist in conjunction with the military?

Watergate, yes. However, they are a private company and offer services worldwide. Paramilitary activity: no, they are not part of the state and sometimes despised by the state.

Ross Perot, his rescue team wasn't affiliated with the US government.

Well cool beans ;)
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.