Jump to topic:

Michelle Bachmann and "jihadi foods"

Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 9:15:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I came across this article today (it is presented below). Apparently Congresswoman Bachmann thinks that falafel (a popular Arab vegetarian meal served in some Public schools) is a "gateway food" and could lead ultimately America's fall to Islam. She thinks the state should ban all Arab foods from Public Schools for this reason. She said this:

'falafel is a gateway food," responded Bachmann, "It starts with falafel, then the kids move on to shawarma. After a while they say 'hey this tastes good, I wonder what else comes from Arabia?' "
"Before you know it our children are listening to Muslim music, reading the Koran, and plotting attacks against the homeland."
"We need to stop these terror cakes now, before they infiltrate any further."

I personally think she is out of her d@mn mind, and I wonder how someone with this much ignorance and paranoia could have gotten elected to Congress. I mean seriously! Are people from Minnesota this stupid?

http://dailycurrant.com...
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 9:17:02 PM
At 9/30/2012 9:15:19 PM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
I came across this article today (it is presented below). Apparently Congresswoman Bachmann thinks that falafel (a popular Arab vegetarian meal served in some Public schools) is a "gateway food" and could lead ultimately America's fall to Islam. She thinks the state should ban all Arab foods from Public Schools for this reason. She said this:

'falafel is a gateway food," responded Bachmann, "It starts with falafel, then the kids move on to shawarma. After a while they say 'hey this tastes good, I wonder what else comes from Arabia?' "
"Before you know it our children are listening to Muslim music, reading the Koran, and plotting attacks against the homeland."

I personally think she is out of her d@mn mind, and I wonder how someone with this much ignorance and paranoia could have gotten elected to Congress. I mean seriously! Are people from Minnesota this stupid?

LOL

So much for protecting civil liberties . . . ban falafel, lmao.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 9:18:22 PM
I love falafel, but I've never had any inclination to become Muslim.

I love how the whole point of her argument is to limit exposure to the world because she's afraid that some ideas might be more attractive than American ideas.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 9:20:28 PM
Stupid people will be stupid.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 9:23:20 PM
At 9/30/2012 9:18:22 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I love falafel, but I've never had any inclination to become Muslim.

I love how the whole point of her argument is to limit exposure to the world because she's afraid that some ideas might be more attractive than American ideas.

I agree she fails to realize that American Culture is a mixture of a lot of cultures from around the world. I sure hope that Jim Graves beats her in the next election.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 3:09:25 AM

It is kind of funny she goes on this Muslim Brotherhood kick, and tries to lump in our 5th district Rep, who is a muslim, with them.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 3:44:54 AM
At 9/30/2012 11:46:08 PM, Wnope wrote:
Y'all know Daily Currant is a satire paper, right?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 6:37:17 AM
At 10/1/2012 3:44:54 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

Yes, but it's really funny and it's totally something Bachmann would do. :)

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 7:47:58 AM

LOL! I haven't laughed so hard. Sure, I love Chinese food. What next? I'm going to become a dirty communist loving Mao?!

Bachmann is batshi!t crazy!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 7:54:56 AM

I hope you realize that was satire http://www.bikyamasr.com...
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 8:16:21 AM
I just laughed so hard that I peed my pants. Most of the satire, including the onion, really is just not that good. This one was good though because I can almost see it as truth. It reminds me when some tea baggers tried to get rid of Muslim family day at six flags.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 8:48:43 AM
At 10/1/2012 8:16:21 AM, slo1 wrote:
I just laughed so hard that I peed my pants. Most of the satire, including the onion, really is just not that good. This one was good though because I can almost see it as truth. It reminds me when some tea baggers tried to get rid of Muslim family day at six flags.

LOL! yea, until I looked at the link and realized it was satire, I almost believed it!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 12:54:14 PM
At 10/1/2012 8:16:21 AM, slo1 wrote:

The onion's not that good? Come on, they put out some hilarious stuff.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 1:34:46 PM
This is the kind of thing that you read the first bit and think "Hmm, sounds plausible.", then you read the rest of the argument and say "Let's see if this is known to be a satire website.".
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 1:35:15 PM
At 10/1/2012 1:34:46 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
This is the kind of thing that you read the first bit and think "Hmm, sounds plausible.", then you read the rest of the article and say "Let's see if this is known to be a satire website.".
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 5:15:07 PM

http://dailycurrant.com...:

This has to be a parody... It's far too hilarious, even for Bachmann who is patently insane.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 6:31:41 PM
Once a guy quoted The Onion to me about a plan to make school kids gay.

Would you believe an article about government planning to ban sugar or salt as evil gateway foods? No, that's too ridiculous ... but wait.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 8:06:00 PM
At 10/1/2012 6:31:41 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

Would you believe an article about government planning to ban sugar or salt as evil gateway foods? No, that's too ridiculous ... but wait.

If the current government liked using "war on drugs" terminology with reference to nutrition then yes, I could buy a story which says the government's new program is to "fight obesity....before obesity fights back."

Bachmann's rhetoric in the satire piece matched her normal rhetoric which is why it is both funny and good satire.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 8:08:16 PM
At 10/1/2012 8:06:00 PM, Wnope wrote:

If the current government liked using "war on drugs" terminology with reference to nutrition then yes, I could buy a story which says the government's new program is to "fight obesity....before obesity fights back."

Bachmann's rhetoric in the satire piece matched her normal rhetoric which is why it is both funny and good satire.

Which of the following headlines is more believable:

1. Congress labels sugar as evil gateway to obesity.
2. Congress Protests France by Changing the name of "French Fries" to "Freedom Fries."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 9:10:35 PM
At 10/1/2012 8:08:16 PM, Wnope wrote:

2. Congress Protests France by Changing the name of "French Fries" to "Freedom Fries."

The 2nd one was absurd, although to be fair they didn't ban the naming of the name "french fries" (which would be obviously unconstitutional). Would it be believable if Michelle Bachaman banned islamic food from the congressional cafeteria menu? (not sure if they have islamic food anyways)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 9:13:37 PM
I thought this was going to be a link to The Onion.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 9:13:57 PM

Ah!, do now :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 9:27:47 PM
At 10/1/2012 9:10:35 PM, darkkermit wrote:

The 2nd one was absurd, although to be fair they didn't ban the naming of the name "french fries" (which would be obviously unconstitutional). Would it be believable if Michelle Bachaman banned islamic food from the congressional cafeteria menu? (not sure if they have islamic food anyways)

I'd ask where the f*ck she got the congressional authority to do that.

If she called for banning islamic food, I wouldn't surprised to hear it true.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 10:30:18 PM

No, it isn't about "someone in Congress labels X," it is about actually passing laws or regulations. Congress people have free speech rights like everyone else, and some in Congress will always be saying something nuts. That's different from making laws or having Constiotutional rights.

It is about finding the freedom to choose abortion as a right enshrined in the Constitution, but not finding any rights to choose sugar, salt, smoking, or anything else politically incorrect. Reason Magazine did interviews with delegates at the Democrat National Convention. They had found many who believed that there was no right to things of which they disapproved. this is consistent with not allowing dissenters to speakers on campus.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 11:24:38 PM
At 10/1/2012 10:30:18 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

No, it isn't about "someone in Congress labels X," it is about actually passing laws or regulations. Congress people have free speech rights like everyone else, and some in Congress will always be saying something nuts. That's different from making laws or having Constiotutional rights.

It is about finding the freedom to choose abortion as a right enshrined in the Constitution, but not finding any rights to choose sugar, salt, smoking, or anything else politically incorrect. Reason Magazine did interviews with delegates at the Democrat National Convention. They had found many who believed that there was no right to things of which they disapproved. this is consistent with not allowing dissenters to speakers on campus.

I am right now discussing what conditions would make someone more or less likely to prima facie assume that a story is true and not satire.

You, on the other hand, are going into a completely unrelated diatribe about the evils of leftist politics.

If I write a satire piece pretending to be Ghandi, and the entire thing is how Ghandi wants to kill anyone who steals his skittles, then people are much less likely to prima facie believe the piece as opposed to saying Ghandi doesn't want us hurting terrorists because it involves violence.

Likewise, the "Islam=jihad" narrative is familiar to Michele Bachman. A "salt is evil gateway food" uses the terminology of the War on Drugs, currently associated with the right. "French Fries are Freedom Fries" wouldn't be as prima facie believable were it not for Congress' anti-French and pro-"Freedom" terminology after 9/11.

Imagine a piece in 1995 reading "Congress changes name of French Fries to Freedom Fries." Not only would people think it's a prima facie joke, they wouldn't understand why it even MIGHT be true.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 11:26:17 PM
I WOULD prima facie believe a story saying a Democrat wants to pass a bill banning salt because it hurts the environment.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 11:16:41 AM
You are an idiot if you took this as a credible article. The website is based on satire.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross