Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Views on Economic Issues

adontimasu
Posts: 93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 11:11:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hello, DDOers. After looking through many explanations given for many people's beliefs regarding many economic issues in the BIG ISSUES section of the site, I saw that many people didn't (or, rather, couldn't) get all that specific in why they viewed the way they did. That is why I am here: I want to know, in as much detail as possible, why you hold the view you do now on the following issues:

> The Federal Reserve (esp. ending it)
> Free Market v. Government Regulation
> Welfare
> Social Security
> Minimum Wage
> Stimulus Spending
Chaos88
Posts: 247
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 3:41:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/30/2012 11:11:42 PM, adontimasu wrote:
Hello, DDOers. After looking through many explanations given for many people's beliefs regarding many economic issues in the BIG ISSUES section of the site, I saw that many people didn't (or, rather, couldn't) get all that specific in why they viewed the way they did. That is why I am here: I want to know, in as much detail as possible, why you hold the view you do now on the following issues:

> The Federal Reserve (esp. ending it)
No real opinion on it.
> Free Market v. Government Regulation
Because America is suppossed to be free, and regulations hurt small businesses. Plus, I have always subscribed to "buyer beware".
> Welfare
I am not wholly opposed to it, I just think it should be far more restrictive. In a land of freedom, one is free to extend a helping hand, and it should not be forced.
> Social Security
It hinders wealth creation by 1) losing 7.65% of my pay, and 2) if I pay in $10K and die, my survivors receive $265, not the wealth I otherwise would have had (stocks, CD, savings)
> Minimum Wage
Employee/employer relationship is voluntary, and so is pay. If no one will work for X amount, the pay will go up. If MW was so good, than why do more and more people earn MW each time it goes up? Because employers aren't going to pay more just because others get a raise.
> Stimulus Spending
It prolongs the inevitable, and, at best, it is hoping to ride out a dip. Take the housing market. Home values were dropping, so the gov't offered tax credits to buy a home, this increased the value by increasing demand, but when the credit went away, the values fell again. Had the credit never existed, values would have crashed, hit bottom, and the market would have cleared as they say. From this point, we can move forward. However, the credits simply prolonged the decline, and at best, it was hoping that enough time had passed that the market had recovered while the credit was in place.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 1:38:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/30/2012 11:11:42 PM, adontimasu wrote:
Hello, DDOers. After looking through many explanations given for many people's beliefs regarding many economic issues in the BIG ISSUES section of the site, I saw that many people didn't (or, rather, couldn't) get all that specific in why they viewed the way they did. That is why I am here: I want to know, in as much detail as possible, why you hold the view you do now on the following issues:

> The Federal Reserve (esp. ending it)

On one hand, it artificially sets interest rates, creates booms, and causes recessions. On the other hand, those recessions which it does not create, it helps salvage by giving loans to the banks. The function is a wash, but the credibility of the actual institution is negligible.

> Free Market v. Government Regulation

Government regulation, for the most part, increases cost, decreases competition, and increases inefficiency.

However, some basic regulations- such as those for food or water safety- are needed.

> Welfare

Most people who oppose welfare would support job-training programs, but not programs that just give out money handouts.

> Social Security

If the government makes it voluntary, then I don't care. It's a bad economic deal, but people have the right to be stupid.

> Minimum Wage

Price floor in labor market= bad things

> Stimulus Spending

Often too late. Automatic stabilizers should work a tad better.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 4:16:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/30/2012 11:11:42 PM, adontimasu wrote:
Hello, DDOers. After looking through many explanations given for many people's beliefs regarding many economic issues in the BIG ISSUES section of the site, I saw that many people didn't (or, rather, couldn't) get all that specific in why they viewed the way they did. That is why I am here: I want to know, in as much detail as possible, why you hold the view you do now on the following issues:

> The Federal Reserve (esp. ending it)

Not American.

> Free Market v. Government Regulation

Government regulation for equity reasons.

> Welfare

Basic Welfare to create a standard of living, yes, again, for equity reasons.

> Social Security

see above.

> Minimum Wage

See above.

> Stimulus Spending

Depending where it goes and when we use it and the amount we use. I don't support all for the same reason that one might not support a tax increase: depends where, why, and how it is done.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Posts: 23,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 4:26:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Federal Reserve (esp. ending it) Pro
> Free Market v. Government Regulation Freer the market the freer the people
> Welfare Con people just play the system and bum checks off of hard working tax payers
> Social Security Con should be privatized
> Minimum Wage Con, depends on Job
> Stimulus Spending N/O
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 5:03:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/30/2012 11:11:42 PM, adontimasu wrote:
Hello, DDOers. After looking through many explanations given for many people's beliefs regarding many economic issues in the BIG ISSUES section of the site, I saw that many people didn't (or, rather, couldn't) get all that specific in why they viewed the way they did. That is why I am here: I want to know, in as much detail as possible, why you hold the view you do now on the following issues:

From my profile:

> The Federal Reserve (esp. ending it)

Not saying: "Lulz."

The Federal Reserve is one of the most egregious abuses of the financial market there ever was in this country. It is also the source of inflation.

> Free Market v. Government Regulation

Undecided: "Yes, but not at all like a libertarian." In other words, I'm for the free trade we currently have. Government regulation is necessarily, inasmuch as bailouts are.

> Welfare

Con: "I believe there's a better way to do this..." I don't think we should be just giving out free money. We could use that money to improve neighborhoods, provide better social utility (such as education), and generally clean things up, rather than just giving people "a boost." Hell, we could create jobs with that money.

> Social Security

Pro: "Yep." It should go without saying that someone who spends their lives contributing to the economy should remain capable of surviving within it after they are no longer physically capable of working.

> Minimum Wage

Pro: "Of course." Minimum wage helps maintain our standard of living. Without it, the middle class would be eliminated. You think that means more rich people, don't you? You're wrong.

> Stimulus Spending

Undecided: "Hypocritical, though sometimes effective. Depends, methinks." Without bailouts, the economy could very well collapse. I think it's the source of stimulus spending that's the problem (the government should sue irresponsible businessmen, if you ask me -- we'd have a surplus in no time).
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 5:13:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/30/2012 11:11:42 PM, adontimasu wrote:
Hello, DDOers. After looking through many explanations given for many people's beliefs regarding many economic issues in the BIG ISSUES section of the site, I saw that many people didn't (or, rather, couldn't) get all that specific in why they viewed the way they did. That is why I am here: I want to know, in as much detail as possible, why you hold the view you do now on the following issues:

> The Federal Reserve (esp. ending it)

The federal reserve has a sh*tload of problems that range from its credibility to how people are chosen to run it to how effective it even is, but if we end the federal reserve then the monetary policies that the FED has control over goes to Congress. I dont know who said it first but basically the body of government that has both legislative and monetary control over the country will lead to tyranny or collapse, so I will support anything being done to the FED that doesnt include ending it.

> Free Market v. Government Regulation

There is a time to let the free market be free and a time for regulation to take effect, its all just a balancing act and both of them are easily justifiable. Free market of course allows the economy to thrive but government regulation is useful when trying to protect people or the environment from unnecessary harm. The issue here is too much regulation and I am certain there are cases where regulation is way out of line, but for the most part I think the US is at an acceptable balance at this point.

> Welfare

We should change 'welfare' to 'helping the poor' because the demonizing of the word welfare has corrupted what it really stands for. Welfare payments to people are almost laughable in the amount they get, and often people can only access it for 3 or 4 years, so anyone who thinks that welfare should be abolished because it creates a moocher class where people live off the taxpayers is a f*cking idiot. That being said I think welfare is good right where its at and shouldnt be altered, except maybe in who gets access to it.

> Social Security

I am a huge fan of Social Security but even I will admit that we need to raise the age where people can qualify for payments up at least 5 years. Social Security was created back in the 1960's and was meant to help fight poverty in senior citizens and it for a while has been hugely successful, however those born during the baby boom are starting to grow old enough to get Social Security. They will be putting a massive strain on it and on the rest of us who have to fund it, so we need to really scale it back just enough so that it doesnt cripple us. Im against abolishing it.

> Minimum Wage

The minimum wage was vital in establishing the middle class back in the early 1900's in America, but since then it has shrunk to serve only a very small purpose. Those who are against the minimum wage argue that raising the minimum wage hurts job creation, and that argument has merit, which is why I am heavily against raising the minimum wage to try to spur growth. That being said though the minimum wage does establish a floor in how low wages can be for people who often work jobs that nobody else wants, so it still is useful and shouldnt be abolished. Basically the minimum wage shouldnt be raised or abolished in my opinion.

> Stimulus Spending

Stimulus spending sounds like a great idea on paper when the sh*t is really hitting the fan and states are facing drastic budget shortfalls, so I see stimulus spending useful to some degree. However, whoever argued that the Stimulus will create thousands of jobs when the economy was crashing was being a moron, because the Stimulus only really helped states meet their budget shortfalls as a result of the crashing economy (along with a few other things) so I am both for and against the Stimulus. Im for it if it is being used to help states meet their budgets in a drastic time of crisis, but im against it in all other circumstances....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 9:32:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/30/2012 11:11:42 PM, adontimasu wrote:
Hello, DDOers. After looking through many explanations given for many people's beliefs regarding many economic issues in the BIG ISSUES section of the site, I saw that many people didn't (or, rather, couldn't) get all that specific in why they viewed the way they did. That is why I am here: I want to know, in as much detail as possible, why you hold the view you do now on the following issues:

> The Federal Reserve (esp. ending it)

No opinion right now

> Free Market v. Government Regulation

Free market works best, because the more you regulate, the more difficult it is for a business to work and make money. The majority of businesses are small businesses, and regulations hurt them. Some regulations are necessary, but we have far too many nowadays.

> Welfare

Not federal welfare. I think it should be a states issue.

> Social Security

It hurts the economy a different ways. First, it's a tax, and that money being taxed could be put into the economy. Second, It ends up being a very small amount most of the time, and it really relies on having enough working people to sustain itself. The more of those drawing social security, the more SS tax the working class has to pay, meaning future generations will have to pay more, and it just goes on and on. People should be responsible for their own retirement, and if not, then so be it.

> Minimum Wage

Hurts the economy, and the workers. If a business is paying wages that workers see is too low, they won't take the job. It's a self correcting system. However, I think it is wrong to tell a business how much they can and will pay their workers. It is between the employee and the employer, imo.

> Stimulus Spending

Highly against any stimulus spending. It does absolutely no good, and just wastes tax dollars that could be given back to the people to put into the economy, fixing any problems that stimulus would attempt to fix and inevitably fail.
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain