Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Venezuela Bans Family Guy

Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 12:23:00 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

The Venezuelan government has said they'll fine any TV station or network that airs the show Family Guy, on the basis that Brian was campaigning to legalize marijuana in an episode.

This follows a ban on the show The Simpsons, on the basis that it, er, "goes against the whole education of boys and girls," whatever that means.

Also noted in the BBC article; TV stations will be forced to carry Hugo Chavez's show as well.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is at least one member on this site that says the Venezuelan government's actions with regards to independent media, or any media really, isn't at all censorship or dictatorial. In fact, I believe they support Chavez and his "Bolivarian Revolution."

One question: how is the banning of Family Guy serving the Revolution?
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 12:26:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 12:23:00 PM, Volkov wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

The Venezuelan government has said they'll fine any TV station or network that airs the show Family Guy, on the basis that Brian was campaigning to legalize marijuana in an episode.

This follows a ban on the show The Simpsons, on the basis that it, er, "goes against the whole education of boys and girls," whatever that means.

Also noted in the BBC article; TV stations will be forced to carry Hugo Chavez's show as well.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is at least one member on this site that says the Venezuelan government's actions with regards to independent media, or any media really, isn't at all censorship or dictatorial. In fact, I believe they support Chavez and his "Bolivarian Revolution."

One question: how is the banning of Family Guy serving the Revolution?

That's ridiculous. Chavez is now showing his true true colours as a dictator. I wouldn't say it's too long until a war breaks out over this. Oil + Oppression of freedoms + few allies in the region is what got Iraq invaded. With the allies andil taking up a huge percentage of what put them there.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 12:28:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Speaking of Family Guy...

The Cleveland Show - the spin-off of Family Guy with Cleveland (fat black guy) as the main character --- premiers at 8:30 EST tonight. Everyone I've talked to thinks it will suck, but I'm being optimistic. After all, the ingenious Seth MacFarlane is the creator, so it should be at least decent. Hopefully it will be good.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 12:30:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 12:28:52 PM, Nags wrote:
Speaking of Family Guy...

The Cleveland Show - the spin-off of Family Guy with Cleveland (fat black guy) as the main character --- premiers at 8:30 EST tonight. Everyone I've talked to thinks it will suck, but I'm being optimistic. After all, the ingenious Seth MacFarlane is the creator, so it should be at least decent. Hopefully it will be good.

Eh, I'm one of the skeptics. But I'll be watching, for sure.

But, I agree with Panda, sort of. I don't think an internal war will occur; maybe between Colombia and Venezuela. Guess whose side I'll be on.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 12:32:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 12:30:29 PM, Volkov wrote:
But, I agree with Panda, sort of. I don't think an internal war will occur; maybe between Colombia and Venezuela. Guess whose side I'll be on.

ALVARO URIBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 12:35:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 12:28:52 PM, Nags wrote:
Speaking of Family Guy...

The Cleveland Show - the spin-off of Family Guy with Cleveland (fat black guy) as the main character --- premiers at 8:30 EST tonight. Everyone I've talked to thinks it will suck, but I'm being optimistic. After all, the ingenious Seth MacFarlane is the creator, so it should be at least decent. Hopefully it will be good.

I hope it rocks, though I'll miss Cleveland from family guy. If it's just family guy repeated with Cleveland I wont' watch it.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 3:31:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Some people like that form of oppression.
People need that, plus in a few years no one will even now what they are missing, and it will go through with no problem.

I have personally seen it for years, a lot of latin america would rather go around being told what to do.
Makes life easy and stress free, in most of there eyes.

A lot of them come over to America and need to move back because they hate the freedom over here.
We need to stop worrying about other countries and focus on our own.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 4:44:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 3:31:19 PM, comoncents wrote:
Some people like that form of oppression.
People need that, plus in a few years no one will even now what they are missing, and it will go through with no problem.

I have personally seen it for years, a lot of latin america would rather go around being told what to do.
Makes life easy and stress free, in most of there eyes.

A lot of them come over to America and need to move back because they hate the freedom over here.
We need to stop worrying about other countries and focus on our own.

That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read.

I can't even comment on it. It is just that stupid.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 4:51:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 4:44:10 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/27/2009 3:31:19 PM, comoncents wrote:
Some people like that form of oppression.
People need that, plus in a few years no one will even now what they are missing, and it will go through with no problem.

I have personally seen it for years, a lot of latin america would rather go around being told what to do.
Makes life easy and stress free, in most of there eyes.

A lot of them come over to America and need to move back because they hate the freedom over here.
We need to stop worrying about other countries and focus on our own.

That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read.

I can't even comment on it. It is just that stupid.

i am glad you think so... stupid as it maybe it is true...
you may not know it but it is true.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 4:57:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 4:51:59 PM, comoncents wrote:
i am glad you think so... stupid as it maybe it is true...
you may not know it but it is true.

How is it true? Can you give me concrete proof of this? Are you saying that all the various despots overthrown in Latin America in the past century was because they weren't oppressive enough?

I mean, where have you gotten these ideas from? Oh, don't tell me. Glenn Beck?
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 5:03:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 4:57:07 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/27/2009 4:51:59 PM, comoncents wrote:
i am glad you think so... stupid as it maybe it is true...
you may not know it but it is true.

How is it true? Can you give me concrete proof of this? Are you saying that all the various despots overthrown in Latin America in the past century was because they weren't oppressive enough?

I mean, where have you gotten these ideas from? Oh, don't tell me. Glenn Beck?

I am a cuban american.
my family came to america to flee, and half are back b/c they loved less responsibility more.

i have testimonies from people who can not wait to go back to cuba.

i see it a lot... my grandmother could not wait to go back to a place she did not have to worry about all of the things she had to worry about in america...

my dads side of my family hate it here... half go back to honduras and the other half go to venezuela.

Thats why people where shirts with Che on the front...

look you are young and i do not expect you to understand, and i am sorry i gave you a truthful answer that you did not want to read.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 5:09:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 5:03:30 PM, comoncents wrote:
I am a cuban american.
my family came to america to flee, and half are back b/c they loved less responsibility more.

i have testimonies from people who can not wait to go back to cuba.

i see it a lot... my grandmother could not wait to go back to a place she did not have to worry about all of the things she had to worry about in america...

my dads side of my family hate it here... half go back to honduras and the other half go to venezuela.

Thats why people where shirts with Che on the front...

look you are young and i do not expect you to understand, and i am sorry i gave you a truthful answer that you did not want to read.

It isn't truthful though, especially not for everyone. Maybe you just don't understand your own family. That always happens.

Think about it. A lot of people don't want to be horribly oppressed. But some people can live with it, because other benefits; Cuba and Venezuela, oppressive as they are, have some social benefits that the United States does not. Lets not forget that this is a person's homeland - and it always will be to them, regardless of how bad it gets. Maybe they have family left there. Maybe they want to try and make a difference.

Does it mean they enjoy being oppressed? No. Does it mean they all want to go back under the heel of a dictator? No; some go back for personal reasons, some go back to try and make a difference. There is a multitude of reasons they will go back.

But no one with a sane mind will go back in order to be denied rights and oppressed. Not a single person.

And I might be "young," but I clearly understand your own family and culture better than you apparently do.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 5:19:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 5:09:42 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/27/2009 5:03:30 PM, comoncents wrote:
I am a cuban american.
my family came to america to flee, and half are back b/c they loved less responsibility more.

i have testimonies from people who can not wait to go back to cuba.

i see it a lot... my grandmother could not wait to go back to a place she did not have to worry about all of the things she had to worry about in america...

my dads side of my family hate it here... half go back to honduras and the other half go to venezuela.

Thats why people where shirts with Che on the front...

look you are young and i do not expect you to understand, and i am sorry i gave you a truthful answer that you did not want to read.

It isn't truthful though, especially not for everyone. Maybe you just don't understand your own family. That always happens.

Think about it. A lot of people don't want to be horribly oppressed. But some people can live with it, because other benefits; Cuba and Venezuela, oppressive as they are, have some social benefits that the United States does not. Lets not forget that this is a person's homeland - and it always will be to them, regardless of how bad it gets. Maybe they have family left there. Maybe they want to try and make a difference.

Does it mean they enjoy being oppressed? No. Does it mean they all want to go back under the heel of a dictator? No; some go back for personal reasons, some go back to try and make a difference. There is a multitude of reasons they will go back.

But no one with a sane mind will go back in order to be denied rights and oppressed. Not a single person.

And I might be "young," but I clearly understand your own family and culture better than you apparently do.

Your funny.

I know what you are saying but you have grown up in a different place then they did.
I know why they go back, they tell me point blank.

It is crazy to think that people love communism but it is true.

People feel like it is easier to have total support of the government instead of having to fend for themselves.
I do not agree that it makes the most sense but it is why some go back.

It is a more simple way to live. They are a simpler people.

I am 24 years old and lived under a dictatorship, the United States Army, and I must tell you it was easier then being a civilian.

So much so that people cannot shake there military life and never are normalized into civilian lifestyle.

I see it all the time.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 5:26:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 5:19:02 PM, comoncents wrote:
Your funny.

I know what you are saying but you have grown up in a different place then they did.
I know why they go back, they tell me point blank.

It is crazy to think that people love communism but it is true.

People feel like it is easier to have total support of the government instead of having to fend for themselves.
I do not agree that it makes the most sense but it is why some go back.

It is a more simple way to live. They are a simpler people.

Communism, just so you're aware, is not necessarily authoritarian. So it doesn't surprise me that people like to live under a communist system. It is actually that kind of silly connection which ignorance makes that tells me you don't have a clue.

I am 24 years old and lived under a dictatorship, the United States Army, and I must tell you it was easier then being a civilian.

So much so that people cannot shake there military life and never are normalized into civilian lifestyle.

I see it all the time.

I never said people don't want to be under the thumb of authoritarianism. Usually though, those people have some unresolved issues with themselves. And when you're used to a system for years, and years, it is hard to transition back if you don't do it properly.

But, your need to be dominated does not translate into the needs of others to go back to their homeland and live under communism, or go back for family, or go back to make a change, etc. Learn that you =/= everyone else.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 5:52:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I never said people don't want to be under the thumb of authoritarianism. Usually though, those people have some unresolved issues with themselves. And when you're used to a system for years, and years, it is hard to transition back if you don't do it properly.

what does Hugo Chavez advocate.
Chavez promotes a political doctrine of participatory democracy, socialism and Latin American and Caribbean cooperation.
and talking about Cuba I am speaking about being oppressing government, which we were talking about.

you are to young to understand... people do not need time to be brainwashed into a system before they believe in it.
in the army I had people in for only 3 months not want to go back to being a civilian. It is not that they can not transition... it is the fact that they do not want to transition.

But, your need to be dominated does not translate into the needs of others to go back to their homeland and live under communism, or go back for family, or go back to make a change, etc. Learn that you =/= everyone else.

again you can not fathom what I am saying b/c you are too young.

I love it how you seem to be the authority on which to explain what my family believes.
they are to old to make a change, and they do not want to.
they have lived here long enough to feel this to be there homeland as well... they can care less about going back to a piece of land they were born to...
I have no more family in Cuba... just the ones that wanted to go back in order to live under opposition.

look you have to be stopped at some point.
I see you give opinions on things you now little about all the time... just b/c you learn something in school does not mean you know everything, if you nothing at all.

you think you hold some kind of respect here in these forums but in truth I do not even entertain most of your childish responses.

I just figured you will learn.
take note from some of the older people here and learn that no one hangs on every little thing you write...

take nags, he is younger then i am, but has great things to add.
Logical-Master, studentathletechristian8, regebro, wjmelements, tmhustler, also have things to add that can be taken as great.
(sorry for not mentioning the other young people here who have a lot of great points)

man just calm down, grow up, and get off of your high horse.
your not that great.

(I know you will read this and just get upset, come back with some witty response to make yourself feel better about yourself, but what ever you need to do to keep yourself from crying. That is not my intention... I hope you sit back and think about it. but hoping you will think about making yourself a better person is probably beyond yourself.)
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 6:19:53 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 5:52:13 PM, comoncents wrote:
what does Hugo Chavez advocate.
Chavez promotes a political doctrine of participatory democracy, socialism and Latin American and Caribbean cooperation.

Are you saying that Latin American and Caribbean co-operation is communism?

and talking about Cuba I am speaking about being oppressing government, which we were talking about.

If you've noticed, I haven't limited it to Cuba.

you are to young to understand... people do not need time to be brainwashed into a system before they believe in it.
in the army I had people in for only 3 months not want to go back to being a civilian. It is not that they can not transition... it is the fact that they do not want to transition.

That answers nothing. I never said people were brainwashed. I never said it took long. You're saying things that don't add anything.

And enough with the "you're too young" crap. Not only is it ignorant of the fact that I've experienced a lot, according to your profile, you're only five years older than me. Suddenly that makes you wiser?

I love it how you seem to be the authority on which to explain what my family believes.
they are to old to make a change, and they do not want to.
they have lived here long enough to feel this to be there homeland as well... they can care less about going back to a piece of land they were born to...
I have no more family in Cuba... just the ones that wanted to go back in order to live under oppression*.

Fix'd.

And I don't believe you, unfortunately. For two reasons; one, you seem to believe that they're going back because they like having no freedom. I think they'll go back because they're either homesick, or maybe they like the benefits they can get under the system, etc. They're not going to willingly wander back because they feel, "hey, I don't need freedom of speech! What a silly thing."

Listen, I'm not saying you're wrong. Maybe you're right. I just don't believe you are. It is as simple as that.

look you have to be stopped at some point.

"Stopped"? What am I, a menace to society? Or just your way of thinking? Don't like opposition, eh?

I see you give opinions on things you now little about all the time... just b/c you learn something in school does not mean you know everything, if you nothing at all.

I didn't learn any of this at school.

you think you hold some kind of respect here in these forums but in truth I do not even entertain most of your childish responses.

Yet you keep responding?

I just figured you will learn.
take note from some of the older people here and learn that no one hangs on every little thing you write...

Again, you're five years older than me. Get over yourself.

man just calm down, grow up, and get off of your high horse.
your not that great.

I never said I was that great. You're the one saying I am great, apparently.

(I know you will read this and just get upset, come back with some witty response to make yourself feel better about yourself, but what ever you need to do to keep yourself from crying. That is not my intention... I hope you sit back and think about it. but hoping you will think about making yourself a better person is probably beyond yourself.)

Oh, I am so upset. I'll get back to you after I cry my eyes out.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 6:30:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
The Cleveland Show - Sucked.

Family Guy - Meh. Lolz at Seth MacFarlane bashing religion/christianity at every chance he gets.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 6:31:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 6:30:38 PM, Nags wrote:
The Cleveland Show - Sucked.

Agreed.

Family Guy - Meh. Lolz at Seth MacFarlane bashing religion/christianity at every chance he gets.

Lol.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 6:39:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago

And enough with the "you're too young" crap. Not only is it ignorant of the fact that I've experienced a lot, according to your profile, you're only five years older than me. Suddenly that makes you wiser?

I am 24 years old.
I was kicked out of my house at 12 and made to fend for myself.
I was mixed with the wrong crowd, and had to get out.
I joined the military at 18.
I have been in war.
I have been married for 5 going on 6 years.
I have two children. Girl 4 and boy 2.
My son has autism.
I had to teach myself everything that had to do with education as I was forced to quit school at 12.
I forced myself to study and get a GED.
I still got accepted into the military in a very prodigious field... medic.
I achieved the rank of Sergeant in the military and was in charge of troops.
I have been to college and excelled.
I have worked with john besh in New Orleans, and many other great chefs.

5 years in your mind means a whole lot more in mine.

And I don't believe you, unfortunately. For two reasons; one, you seem to believe that they're going back because they like having no freedom. I think they'll go back because they're either homesick, or maybe they like the benefits they can get under the system, etc. They're not going to willingly wander back because they feel, "hey, I don't need freedom of speech! What a silly thing."

Listen, I'm not saying you're wrong. Maybe you're right. I just don't believe you are. It is as simple as that.

I am glad you do not believe me... we need minds that are not tainted with the truth out there.
These things you describe as silly, sad as they maybe, are true.


Again, you're five years older than me. Get over yourself.

See above.


Oh, I am so upset. I'll get back to you after I cry my eyes out.

I am glad... really I did not want to upset you...
I just feel like you are on to big of a high horse.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 6:48:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 6:39:51 PM, comoncents wrote:

And enough with the "you're too young" crap. Not only is it ignorant of the fact that I've experienced a lot, according to your profile, you're only five years older than me. Suddenly that makes you wiser?

I am 24 years old.
I was kicked out of my house at 12 and made to fend for myself.
I was mixed with the wrong crowd, and had to get out.
I joined the military at 18.
I have been in war.
I have been married for 5 going on 6 years.
I have two children. Girl 4 and boy 2.
My son has autism.
I had to teach myself everything that had to do with education as I was forced to quit school at 12.
I forced myself to study and get a GED.
I still got accepted into the military in a very prodigious field... medic.
I achieved the rank of Sergeant in the military and was in charge of troops.
I have been to college and excelled.
I have worked with john besh in New Orleans, and many other great chefs.

5 years in your mind means a whole lot more in mine.

Well, I'm glad for all your accomplishments and what you've gone through, but it doesn't really mean anything to me. I have my opinion, and you have yours; we'll settle at that.

I am glad you do not believe me... we need minds that are not tainted with the truth out there.
These things you describe as silly, sad as they maybe, are true.

The "truth" is subjective.

I am glad... really I did not want to upset you...
I just feel like you are on to big of a high horse.

You're the one saying that I'm "too young to understand," yet I'm on the high horse?

Whatever. We have our differences.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 6:50:15 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 6:48:36 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/27/2009 6:39:51 PM, comoncents wrote:

And enough with the "you're too young" crap. Not only is it ignorant of the fact that I've experienced a lot, according to your profile, you're only five years older than me. Suddenly that makes you wiser?

I am 24 years old.
I was kicked out of my house at 12 and made to fend for myself.
I was mixed with the wrong crowd, and had to get out.
I joined the military at 18.
I have been in war.
I have been married for 5 going on 6 years.
I have two children. Girl 4 and boy 2.
My son has autism.
I had to teach myself everything that had to do with education as I was forced to quit school at 12.
I forced myself to study and get a GED.
I still got accepted into the military in a very prodigious field... medic.
I achieved the rank of Sergeant in the military and was in charge of troops.
I have been to college and excelled.
I have worked with john besh in New Orleans, and many other great chefs.

5 years in your mind means a whole lot more in mine.

Well, I'm glad for all your accomplishments and what you've gone through, but it doesn't really mean anything to me. I have my opinion, and you have yours; we'll settle at that.

I am glad you do not believe me... we need minds that are not tainted with the truth out there.
These things you describe as silly, sad as they maybe, are true.

The "truth" is subjective.

I am glad... really I did not want to upset you...
I just feel like you are on to big of a high horse.

You're the one saying that I'm "too young to understand," yet I'm on the high horse?

Whatever. We have our differences.

Agreed.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 8:58:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 12:23:00 PM, Volkov wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

The Venezuelan government has said they'll fine any TV station or network that airs the show Family Guy, on the basis that Brian was campaigning to legalize marijuana in an episode.

This follows a ban on the show The Simpsons, on the basis that it, er, "goes against the whole education of boys and girls," whatever that means.

Also noted in the BBC article; TV stations will be forced to carry Hugo Chavez's show as well.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is at least one member on this site that says the Venezuelan government's actions with regards to independent media, or any media really, isn't at all censorship or dictatorial. In fact, I believe they support Chavez and his "Bolivarian Revolution."

One question: how is the banning of Family Guy serving the Revolution?

Now if we can just get it banned in America, we'll be getting somewhere =D
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 10:59:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 12:24:47 PM, Nags wrote:
TombLikeBomb is the user who worships Venezuela.

What a surprise. Not.
So prove me wrong, then.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:01:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 4:57:07 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/27/2009 4:51:59 PM, comoncents wrote:
i am glad you think so... stupid as it maybe it is true...
you may not know it but it is true.

How is it true? Can you give me concrete proof of this?

How about any oppressive dictatorship in history? Do you know how many retired people in Eastern Europe vote for the (ex) communist parties? His description of human nature when it comes to this is spot on.
So prove me wrong, then.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:11:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 5:26:57 PM, Volkov wrote:
Communism, just so you're aware, is not necessarily authoritarian.

The ideology, no. But non-authoritarian communism in practice will soon become authoritarian, when the communists discover that the people aren't communists and doesn't do what the communists wanted.

And then it becomes authoritarian.

Communism, just so you're aware, is not necessarily authoritarian. So it doesn't surprise me that people like to live under a communist system.

Your lack of logic hurts my eyes. Every single communist system have been authoritarian. I'm sure you know this. You are now just making stupid excuses for yourself. The more you do this, the more moronic things you will say, and although what you said above and in this post in general truly is on almost epic levels of stupidity, it is early days yet, and I'm sure you can come up with even stupider things.

All for what? Because you don't want to learn something new?
Come on, just stop it.

I never said people don't want to be under the thumb of authoritarianism. Usually though, those people have some unresolved issues with themselves.

Ah, bullpoo. Freedom is scary, authoritarianism means you know where you are in society, you don't have to make your own decisions, you have a good reason not to try to make your life better, and you are no longer responsible for your self. The state is. It's easy and comfy.

Although I admit that it would be funny if we could claim that all people who want more state interference (ie all people left of Arnold the Gubernator, in practice) has "issues", this is clearly not the case.

But, your need to be dominated does not translate into the needs of others to go back to their homeland and live under communism, or go back for family, or go back to make a change, etc. Learn that you =/= everyone else.

Since when did he say it was him?
So prove me wrong, then.
regebro
Posts: 1,152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2009 11:12:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 11:11:20 PM, regebro wrote:
Although I admit that it would be funny if we could claim that all people who want more state interference (ie all people left of Arnold the Gubernator, in practice) has "issues", this is clearly not the case.

Or for that matter, everyone to the right of him, as social conservatism is based on the same sort of emotions.
So prove me wrong, then.
TombLikeBomb
Posts: 639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 1:11:39 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 9/27/2009 12:23:00 PM, Volkov wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

Is the BBC, the state-owned press of the anti-Chavez British government, really the appropriate source for Venezuelan news?

The Venezuelan government has said they'll fine any TV station or network that airs the show Family Guy, on the basis that Brian was campaigning to legalize marijuana in an episode.

Read carefully. The BBC said the government (the Justice Minister, a Muslim who constitutes the conservative exteme of the government) opposed the show because it promoted the "use" (see: "Everything's Better With a Bag of Weed") of marijuana, not the legalization thereof. The ban came after citizens expressed concern about young viewers, which the program's being a cartoon probably influenced. The FCC, whose interference is likewise lawful, thanks to which (and Fox) Family Guy has struggled--often unsuccessfully--to be funny, has its own strange hangups, including an almost (don't forget the Taliban) unique intolerance for nudity and sexuality on even programs clearly targeted at adults and uninteresting to children. The Family Guy's primary market being American, it adapts to American regulations, not Venezuelan, which explains the ban as opposed to influencing the show's content.

This follows a ban on the show The Simpsons, on the basis that it, er, "goes against the whole education of boys and girls," whatever that means.

Relying on the English-speaking media for information on a country the English-speaking world is hostile to is perhaps forgivable if you don't speak the relevant tongue. But making fun of what's clearly nothing more than an awkward translation shows that you're aware of the existence of only one language in addition to speaking only one. Or perhaps if your only source made a practice of quoting more than the object of one sentence of its own sources, your understanding would be better. The Simpsons, another past-its-prime cartoon, was very controversial in the US for obvious reasons. Family Guy is its closest relative.

Also noted in the BBC article; TV stations will be forced to carry Hugo Chavez's show as well.

Read carefully. When a hostile media uses the word "could", is it really advisable to interpret as "will"? American stations already air everything the President asks them to, often at high cost to ratings; if the American media were half as oppositional as the Venezuelan media, which openly supported the shortlived dictatorial (in the true sense of dissolving every democratic institution, not the libelous sense that targets Chavez) coup, there's no reason to believe such "requests" wouldn't become openly obligatory.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is at least one member on this site that says the Venezuelan government's actions with regards to independent media, or any media really, isn't at all censorship or dictatorial. In fact, I believe they support Chavez and his "Bolivarian Revolution."

Your reference to my use of the generic "Bolivarian Revolution" is unclear. As for your account of my statements, it's libelous. It would be absurd to say that any government doesn't censor the media: all do. I have of course said that Venezuelan government isn't dictatorial, and I've backed that up with the relevant facts that neither you nor anyone else on this site (nor your preferred media) has negated beyond innuendo. Unlike FCC actions, for example, the Venezuelan bans are reviewable by direct democracy as well as indirectly through electoral regime change.

One question: how is the banning of Family Guy serving the Revolution?

Not at all. As a Family Guy fan and marijuana enthusiast, I'm disappointed by it. But it's a trifling issue, particularly humerous when compared to the more serious forms of censorship (those negating actual freedom of speech as opposed to exclusive access to public airwaves) practiced by US allies such as Saudi Arabia. If a national referendum were allowed that proposed to replace Family Guy and The Simpsons with the forms of recallable, decentralized and direct democracy (without which such a referendum would be impossible) already practiced in Venezuela at all levels and the US in parts of the weakened state level, Americans would vote for it by a wide margin. It's difficult to reconcile that with the idea that the US is more democratic than Venezuela.
From the time of the progressive era with the rise of public schooling through the post-WWII period, capital invaded the time workers had liberated from waged work and shaped it for purposes of social control. Perhaps the most obvious moment of this colonization was the re-incarceration in schools of the young (who were expelled from the factories by child labor laws) such that what might have been free time was structured to convert their life energies into labor power.