Jump to topic:

"A Vote for Johnson is a Vote for X"

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 3:01:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is it wrong of me to find that logic kind of stupid? Honestly. I'm pretty sure a vote for Johnson is a vote for Johnson.

Also, it seems like this complaint comes mostly from the Romneyites, who say "herp Obama will win if u voet 4 Johnson derp." But the thing is: if the votes for Romney are partially diverted away from Obama, either way, Obama is still kept from getting the 270 electorals. And if no candidate gets 270, then the House gets to elect. And who has the majority in the House...?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 3:06:15 PM
A vote for Johnson is a vote for America!
A vote for Romney is a vote for America!
A vote for Obama is a vote for America!

...there's some symmetry emerging...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 3:32:23 PM
At 10/6/2012 3:06:15 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

No, I mean the criticism that "a vote for Johnson is a vote for Obama."
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 3:39:40 PM
At 10/6/2012 3:32:23 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

A vote for Johnson is a vote for Johnson (as you said). It may not be the most efficacious vote against Obama, but it is definitely not a vote for him.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 3:40:32 PM
At 10/6/2012 3:32:23 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

umm... If I'm not voting johnson.. I don't know who I'd vote for and probably end up not voting..

so How is it a vote for someone else? o.O

However.. I suppose they're more directing those comments to people who Would've voted for a given one of the mainstream candidates otherwise.

I dislike both for different reasons.. but Might go vote just b/c I'd like the libertarian party to get talked about after they lose with (hopefully) a bigger vote turnout than previous years.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 4:49:03 PM
At 10/6/2012 3:01:57 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Is it wrong of me to find that logic kind of stupid? Honestly. I'm pretty sure a vote for Johnson is a vote for Johnson.

Also, it seems like this complaint comes mostly from the Romneyites, who say "herp Obama will win if u voet 4 Johnson derp." But the thing is: if the votes for Romney are partially diverted away from Obama, either way, Obama is still kept from getting the 270 electorals. And if no candidate gets 270, then the House gets to elect. And who has the majority in the House...?

X= any third party (Johnson mainly in the news, but the argument stands with any of them)
Y= One of the two major party candidates

This logic stands only if those who vote for X in lieu of voting for Y causes the state's electoral votes to go to the other Y. As it is argued that Nader's votes in Florida in 2000 cost Gore the election, as Gore would have carried the state.

However, short of that threshold it is illogical. There only a few states that are close (swing states), so those states voting for X is a vote for Y stands, but if there is a Blue state through and through (90% Dem), a vote for Johnson is hardly a vote for Obama there.

Regardless, it is unfeasible that a third party will ever carry a state, so it is incredibly unlikely that one candidate will not get 270 votes. Plus, do they need 270, or do they need the majority?
270 is the smallest majority one can have between two parties (538 electoral votes), but to win any normal election, only a plurality is needed. Gov. Jesse Ventura (a rare third party victor) won MN with only 37%, if memory serves.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 5:57:28 PM
Two words:

Opportunity Cost

If you're an accountant, a vote for Johnson is a vote for Johnson.
If you're an economist, a vote for Johnson is half a vote for Obama.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2012 7:42:23 PM
At 10/6/2012 3:01:57 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

thats assuming that Johnson can actually win any electoral votes, which is impossible for him to do.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015