10/7/2012 8:28:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Elections 2012
Arkansas
Racism
Republican
African American

Advertisement

Rep. Jon Hubbard, a Republican member of the Arkansas state senate, claims that for black people in America, slavery was a "blessing in disguise." Hubbard also claims that black people are ignorant and lazy, and as a consequence, white people have been harmed by integration.

On Saturday, October 6, in response to the outrage and negative attention Hubbard and his claims were receiving in the popular press, the Arkansas state GOP chairman, the Arkansas Republican House Caucus and U.S. Rep. Tim Griffin, all issued statements critical of Hubbard"s racial insensitivity.

Hubbard made his outrageous and offensive claims in a self-published book entitled: Letters to the Editor, Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative. Although the book was self published in 2009, it had received little if any attention until quite recently.

In his book, Hubbard tries to justify slavery in America by pointing out that the ancestors of African slaves would ultimately be "rewarded" with American citizenship:

"" the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth." (Pages 183-89)

Hubbard also tries to defend the claim that life as a slave in America was preferable to a life of freedom in Africa by arguing African Americans must "understand that even while in the throes of slavery, their lives as Americans are likely much better than they ever would have enjoyed living in sub-Saharan Africa."

And it doesn"t get better. Hubbard also claims that black people lack discipline and ambition, and as such they have been a bad influence on white people:

"instead of black students rising to the educational levels previously attained by white students, the white students dropped to the level of black students. To make matters worse the lack of discipline and ambition of black students soon became shared by their white classmates, and our educational system has been in a steady decline ever since."

While it may not be surprising that a Republican elected official from Arkansas would hold racist views, it is surprising that any contemporary political figure would be so inept as to publish such ugly, offensive and disturbing thoughts.

Rep. Hubbard is up for reelection this year. Here is a link to his Democratic opponent, Harold Copenhaver, in case you want to donate.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 9:23:18 AM
I am waiting for the Republicans to "distance themselves" from this (i.e. wait for this to "die down") so that they can make more offensive comments in the next few weeks. This is turning into a cycle.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 10:20:43 AM
it is funny that this guy got little national attention till now...

hmm... I wonder who was holding the the ugly Racist republican story in reserve till a few weeks before some huge national election o.O
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 10:24:37 AM
At 10/7/2012 10:20:43 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

hmm... I wonder who was holding the the ugly Racist republican story in reserve till a few weeks before some huge national election o.O

The reason that this information was released now is that he is running for reelection himself.

Also, don't shift blame to the people who released the information instead of the person who issued the retarded and racist statement. This is always the standard Republican response to the idiocy of their leaders.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 10:32:44 AM
At 10/7/2012 10:24:37 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 10/7/2012 10:20:43 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

The reason that this information was released now is that he is running for reelection himself.

well... I would've thought it would be a newsworthy story any time of year...

Also, don't shift blame to the people who released the information instead of the person who issued the retarded and racist statement. This is always the standard Republican response to the idiocy of their leaders.

I'm not a republican.
In fact, Last time I voted for Obama specifically b/c I agree with democrats on most social issues, and I think social issues to be the starkest difference between Repubs and Dems... and the issues most likely to be significantly moved on one way or the other...

This is the standard tired of political gaming response
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 10:38:47 AM
At 10/7/2012 10:32:44 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

ok, his being a state senator.. maybe he's not really too worthy of national attention..

but at the same time I Really don't doubt someone somewhere who COULD'VE raised a stink right then and there when they learned of this story was like...
"but, wait... There's a big national election next year, and this kind of story is Exactly what helps motivate the base, and disgust swing voters... Let's hold onto this one"

Metaphysics:
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 11:19:58 AM
At 10/7/2012 10:38:47 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 10/7/2012 10:32:44 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

ok, his being a state senator.. maybe he's not really too worthy of national attention..

but at the same time I Really don't doubt someone somewhere who COULD'VE raised a stink right then and there when they learned of this story was like...
"but, wait... There's a big national election next year, and this kind of story is Exactly what helps motivate the base, and disgust swing voters... Let's hold onto this one"

This isnt some story that Dems or the media have been keeping under wraps until the election neared, yahoo news just now found out about it and are already reporting it.

http://news.yahoo.com...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 11:20:02 AM
At 10/7/2012 8:28:57 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Rep. Jon Hubbard, a Republican member of the Arkansas state senate, claims that for black people in America, slavery was a "blessing in disguise." Hubbard also claims that black people are ignorant and lazy, and as a consequence, white people have been harmed by integration.

Ugh I always hear that nonsense. Was slavery a "blessing in disguise" to blacks here today? No, because they were born after it "oh emm gee but they wouldnt want to be in africa"except they wouldnt be. The black people in the United States literally would not exist in an alternate world where there was no african slavery. As for the blacks who were actually enslaved, it obviously was no blessing.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 11:23:15 AM
For the record, there are always going to be crazy people in both parties with absurd beliefs and statements that people from their own party would disagree with, and im fine with having politicians distance themselves from crazy people even if they are in their own party.

a party that is rational and divided is always better then a party that is crazy and united
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 11:32:20 AM
At 10/7/2012 11:19:58 AM, imabench wrote:
This isnt some story that Dems or the media have been keeping under wraps until the election neared, yahoo news just now found out about it and are already reporting it.

http://news.yahoo.com...

but how did Yahoo find out about it? She said it was published in 2009

I dunno. doesn't matter, nevermind.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 11:33:51 AM
At 10/7/2012 11:20:02 AM, thett3 wrote:
Ugh I always hear that nonsense. Was slavery a "blessing in disguise" to blacks here today? No, because they were born after it "oh emm gee but they wouldnt want to be in africa"except they wouldnt be. The black people in the United States literally would not exist in an alternate world where there was no african slavery. As for the blacks who were actually enslaved, it obviously was no blessing.

yep.. Alternate realities are silly.

Metaphysics: