Jump to topic:

Sheriff Wants Use Drones to Peek in Buildings

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 10:22:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Ahern added that his office would only use drones during emergencies, from a high-speed or high-risk chase to search-and-rescue operations in disasters, as well as proactive policing measures like catching marijuana grows in fields on public lands and in grow houses.

But not everyone is pleased at the growing number of agencies looking to use these UAS. The American Civil Liberties Union or ACLU says drones should only be deployed when a warrant for a specific crime is involved. The ACLU is also worried that they may harm both privacy and people. In a statement, the ACLU wrote, "Drone manufacturers are also considering offering police the option of arming these remote-controlled aircraft with weapons like rubber bullets, Tasers, and tear gas."
-- http://m.nbcbayarea.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 10:26:36 AM
I can already predict the juvenile responses. "No drones will have weapons, you purposefully left out the part where it said the sheriff says weaponized drones are out of the question."

Guess what, it said that drone manufacturers are offering police the option to have them weaponized, some sheriffs might not refuse.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 6:58:21 PM
At 10/10/2012 10:26:36 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I can already predict the juvenile responses. "No drones will have weapons, you purposefully left out the part where it said the sheriff says weaponized drones are out of the question."

Guess what, it said that drone manufacturers are offering police the option to have them weaponized, some sheriffs might not refuse.

I wasn't going to say that.
But I will ask what is wrong with this? Potential police misconduct aside, this saves money and resources; search and rescues eat up a lot of man hours. Plus this safer as high speed chases put many innocents in harm's way.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 7:03:11 PM
At 10/10/2012 6:58:21 PM, Chaos88 wrote:
But I will ask what is wrong with this? Potential police misconduct aside, this saves money and resources; search and rescues eat up a lot of man hours. Plus this safer as high speed chases put many innocents in harm's way.

Everything is illegal and suspicious. Things we consider innocent now being demonized. Little girls being arrested and thrown in jail for coloring on her desk. Girls being arrested for using the cell phone in class. Girls being harassed by police for having a lemonade stand.

Yes, it makes it easier to catch grow houses, but marijuana should be legal in the first place.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 9:36:33 PM
At 10/10/2012 7:03:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 10/10/2012 6:58:21 PM, Chaos88 wrote:

Everything is illegal and suspicious. Things we consider innocent now being demonized. Little girls being arrested and thrown in jail for coloring on her desk. Girls being arrested for using the cell phone in class. Girls being harassed by police for having a lemonade stand.

Yes, it makes it easier to catch grow houses, but marijuana should be legal in the first place.

Why did you quote me if you make no reference to what I posted?

I said nothing about marijuana, you said nothing about cost effectiveness and safety, but you did bring up some random point about everything being illegal and suspicious. Why quote me at all?