Jump to topic:

CEO to Fire Employees if Obama is Elected

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 4:52:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
David Siegel, the founder and CEO of Westgate Resorts, and the man who built himself America's largest house, has threatened to lay off his employees if Obama is reelected.

In an e-mail sent to all of his employees, Siegel states, "Of course, as your employer, I can't tell you whom to vote for, and I certainly wouldn't interfere with your right to vote for whomever you choose. [...But] If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company [...] You see, I can no longer support a system that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, so will your opportunities. If that happens, you can find me in the Caribbean sitting on the beach, under a palm tree, retired, and with no employees to worry about."

Clearly, it seems, Siegel does not predict the need to fire his people due to the monetary constraints these taxes would bring about. Rather, as Hamilton Nolan points out in his piece for "Gawker," "Huge mansion. Huge fortune. Profitable company. What could David Siegal have to complain about? Well, the demonization of the 1% by Barack Obama, for one thing."

You can read that article, and Siegel's full e-mail, here: http://gawker.com...

I really, honestly can't even believe this. "I can't tell you who to vote for, but if you vote for Obama you're going to be fired." Coming from a man who has comparatively NOTHING to lose.

Thoughts?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 4:53:28 PM
His business. His rules.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 4:54:53 PM
While I think he should wait to lay people off until he has too, I get where he is coming from. I mean, ask most business men, and they will say Obama is not good for them in any way. Not that I agreed with this necessarily.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 4:55:32 PM
Secret ballot = this is mere hyperbole on his part.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 4:56:44 PM
At 10/10/2012 4:55:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Secret ballot = this is mere hyperbole on his part.

Yeah, or he is just using hyperbole. I doubt he means it, to that extreme.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:16:31 PM
At 10/10/2012 4:53:28 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
His business. His rules.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:17:02 PM
At 10/10/2012 4:52:24 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
David Siegel, the founder and CEO of Westgate Resorts, and the man who built himself America's largest house, has threatened to lay off his employees if Obama is reelected.

False. His house, Versailles, would be tied for 6th place in the history of the US, and it comes in at 3rd in privately owned houses in the US (not that this really takes away from the main point of the article; just clearing up a factually incorrect statement).

Thoughts?

It would probably result in more people voting for Obama due to press coverage.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:37:42 PM
At 10/10/2012 4:52:24 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:

In an e-mail sent to all of his employees, Siegel states, "Of course, as your employer, I can't tell you whom to vote for, and I certainly wouldn't interfere with your right to vote for whomever you choose. [...But] If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company [...] You see, I can no longer support a system that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, so will your opportunities. If that happens, you can find me in the Caribbean sitting on the beach, under a palm tree, retired, and with no employees to worry about."

Clearly, it seems, Siegel does not predict the need to fire his people due to the monetary constraints these taxes would bring about. Rather, as Hamilton Nolan points out in his piece for "Gawker," "Huge mansion. Huge fortune. Profitable company. What could David Siegal have to complain about? Well, the demonization of the 1% by Barack Obama, for one thing."

You can read that article, and Siegel's full e-mail, here: http://gawker.com...

I really, honestly can't even believe this. "I can't tell you who to vote for, but if you vote for Obama you're going to be fired." Coming from a man who has comparatively NOTHING to lose.

Thoughts?

He may have nothing to lose, but in his mind, he has nothing to gain, either. Why have a business, if your profit is not worth the risk, effort, or expenses involved?

Besides, Democrats should like this. Yes, these people may be out of a job, but someone else can go in and start this same company, and that is one person moving up (i.e. aids in reversing income inequality).
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:52:02 PM
People are weak.

Everyone who received that email should immediately walk. Do not come in the next day.

Failing companies are retarded expensive. He's stupid. He basically swung his nuts and slapped every one of those people who consider themselves Democrat or intend to vote Democrate in the face. They should have took their own nuts out and walked right out the door. What would he have done? Gone to the Caribbean? I call bullshiit. He'd throw himself from his office window on the 216th floor or whatever.

Foolish people.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 5:55:56 PM
Stupid move by the boss. Bad for employee morale and bad for PR. I doubt e did this because because he "cared" about his employees.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 6:10:23 PM
When I argued that businesses do things like this a few days ago, people thought I was stupid. Looks like they do attempt to manipulate employment to influence the election after all.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 6:16:11 PM
At 10/10/2012 6:10:23 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
When I argued that businesses do things like this a few days ago, people thought I was stupid. Looks like they do attempt to manipulate employment to influence the election after all.

so now with that new evidence in place, would you like to debate then?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 7:08:57 PM
His business. His rules.

Yeah, but just because government shouldn't intervene to force him to do otherwise, doesn't make it a nice or considerate or intelligent thing for him to do... I sometimes worry that too many libertarians slip from "government has no right to intervene with force unless someone's body/property is being aggressed upon" to "if nobody's body/property is being aggressed upon, there's nothing wrong that's being done, so it's cool to be a total inconsiderate unempathetic douchewad"
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 7:12:18 PM
At 10/10/2012 5:55:56 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
Stupid move by the boss. Bad for employee morale and bad for PR. I doubt e did this because because he "cared" about his employees.

^ +1
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 8:53:53 AM
I wonder if the GOP is going to hire him to stand at a poll and demand identification? He is good at intimidation. "I'm not going to tell you who to vote for, but if it is not Mitt I'm going to fire you" LOL
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 10:02:11 AM
At 10/10/2012 7:08:57 PM, jat93 wrote:
His business. His rules.

Yeah, but just because government shouldn't intervene to force him to do otherwise, doesn't make it a nice or considerate or intelligent thing for him to do... I sometimes worry that too many libertarians slip from "government has no right to intervene with force unless someone's body/property is being aggressed upon" to "if nobody's body/property is being aggressed upon, there's nothing wrong that's being done, so it's cool to be a total inconsiderate unempathetic douchewad"

Yes, thank you. Well said.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 4:33:17 PM
At 10/10/2012 7:08:57 PM, jat93 wrote:
His business. His rules.

+1000

I agree that the government can't and shouldn't punish him for sending the email, but threatening to fire your employees if they vote for Obama (yes that is a slight stretch but it's very likely that that was his intent) is unethical and insulting.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 4:54:50 PM
Yes threatening to quit your job like this CEO said he would is extremely politically incorrect too.

When can we nationalize this poor excuse of a free market so we can have 100% employed? huh?