Jump to topic:

USA 18th in Economic Freedom

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 10:20:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yay for Obama and Bush's policies!* The new report published by the Fraser Institute shows the United States in 18th place for economic freedom.

The United States, long considered the standard bearer for economic freedom among large industrial nations, has experienced a substantial decline in economic freedom during the past decade. From 1980 to 2000, the United States was generally rated the third freest economy in the world, ranking behind only Hong Kong and Singapore. After increasing steadily during the period from 1980 to 2000, the chainlinked EFW rating of the United States fell from 8.65 in 2000 to 8.21 in 2005 and 7.70 in 2010. The chain-linked ranking of the United States has fallen precipitously from second in 2000 to eighth in 2005 and 19th in 2010 (unadjusted ranking of 18th).

*Including Bernanke for Obama; including Greenspan for Bush.

http://www.freetheworld.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 10:22:46 PM
At 10/11/2012 10:20:27 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Yay for Obama and Bush's policies!* The new report published by the Fraser Institute shows the United States in 18th place for economic freedom.

The United States, long considered the standard bearer for economic freedom among large industrial nations, has experienced a substantial decline in economic freedom during the past decade. From 1980 to 2000, the United States was generally rated the third freest economy in the world, ranking behind only Hong Kong and Singapore. After increasing steadily during the period from 1980 to 2000, the chainlinked EFW rating of the United States fell from 8.65 in 2000 to 8.21 in 2005 and 7.70 in 2010. The chain-linked ranking of the United States has fallen precipitously from second in 2000 to eighth in 2005 and 19th in 2010 (unadjusted ranking of 18th).

One of the reasons why in any class we are talking about the US and how we have a "free market" I have a smirk on my face.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 10:34:03 PM
At 10/11/2012 10:22:46 PM, Contra wrote:
At 10/11/2012 10:20:27 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

One of the reasons why in any class we are talking about the US and how we have a "free market" I have a smirk on my face.

I learned once that arguing with a teacher about that never accomplishes anything. Now, I telepathically tell them to stop being brainwashed monkeys.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 7:38:14 AM
Look at this clip.

"A larger share of the world"s population now lives in democratic countries than at
any time in history. However, there is little popular understanding of the limitations of democracy and why, if unconstrained, it is likely to result in outcomes that
most would consider undesirable"

LOL, that is the definition of irony. It is interesting how personal choice is one of the measures of economic freedom, but the aggregate personal choices in an unregulated democracy does not produce desirable outcomes.

Thanks for posting. I've never gone through the details of the Economic Freedom ratings. I'll have to do that. Looking at the map, I didn't realize that India was so far down the scale.

The US really took a step back when the supreme court ruled that it was OK for gov to confiscate land for the purpose of another private party to do something with it for the "social good". Our individual rights have eroded significantly in the last decade.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 3:25:18 AM
At 10/12/2012 7:38:14 AM, slo1 wrote:
Look at this clip.

You did not post a clip.

"A larger share of the world"s population now lives in democratic countries than at
any time in history. However, there is little popular understanding of the limitations of democracy and why, if unconstrained, it is likely to result in outcomes that
most would consider undesirable"

LOL, that is the definition of irony. It is interesting how personal choice is one of the measures of economic freedom, but the aggregate personal choices in an unregulated democracy does not produce desirable outcomes.

You just uttered a clusterfuck of stupid.

1. The cumulation of economic freedom and personal freedom is the market and society, not democracy.
2. The state apparatus corrupts both the market and society.

Thanks for posting. I've never gone through the details of the Economic Freedom ratings. I'll have to do that. Looking at the map, I didn't realize that India was so far down the scale.

Economic freedom is highly correlated with improved human well-being.

The US really took a step back when the supreme court ruled that it was OK for gov to confiscate land for the purpose of another private party to do something with it for the "social good". Our individual rights have eroded significantly in the last decade.

The US has been going downhill since 1913, and prior to that we had shitty tariff policies.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 5:52:00 PM
These are always silly, and I've never taken any real value inside into any of them. The most economically free states are easily the central African ones, because the state is too small to efficiently actualise any laws, or is so decentralised that one buys politics. Either way, the system works that you can any good you want, from child soldiers to military planes to political power. Yet nations such as Eritrea where this is possible are ignored entirely, or

Ignoring economic freedoms of what goods can be bought and sold, the extent of subsidization and protectionism involved, and a myriad of other large factors, it seems to arbitrarily select data at times in order to make the valuations.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...