Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

VP Debate Poll

Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 6:53:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Who do you feel won the debate?

Personally, I feel Paul Ryan won
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 7:07:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I would call it a draw, just cause Biden DID come off as arrogant, and he sorta fell back at the end.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
CiRrK
Posts: 670
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 7:26:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Tie.

Biden was very confident in the first part of the debate (foreign policy) though substantively incorrect.

Ryan won the debt, taxes, social security and medicare (which is to be expected). Ryan also pushed hard on the issue of Afghanistan.

Biden won and lost in terms of appearance: won on confidence, lost on arrogance.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 7:50:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 7:26:07 AM, CiRrK wrote:
Tie.

Biden was very confident in the first part of the debate (foreign policy) though substantively incorrect.

Ryan won the debt, taxes, social security and medicare (which is to be expected). Ryan also pushed hard on the issue of Afghanistan.

Biden won and lost in terms of appearance: won on confidence, lost on arrogance.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 8:24:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ryan won, but Biden scored some debater's points.

Biden came across as a condescending fool, with his uncontrolled laughing at Ryan. The Vice President has the role of working with Congress, and that attitude is fatal to any thought of bipartisanship. It would just lose conduct in an academic debate, but for veep it's more serious.

Biden lied big time about Libya. He said that the intelligence agencies told the Administration for a week that the YouTube video was behind the Benghazi attack. There has already been testimony before Congress that intelligence had identified it as a terrorist attack within 24 hours, and that it was never attributed to the video. Big lie.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 8:51:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I thought both debated very well, and each shut their opponent up on a certain issue at least once. When Biden punked Ryan on Ryan accepting bail-out money, you could see it all over Ryan's face. Ryan knew Biden had him in a contradictory position. However, Biden lied through his teeth about Libya and he knows it. He floundered on the question big time and attempted to deflect. The White House f*cked up bad and people died.

Overall Biden came out aggressively, as I knew he would to bridge the gap from Obama's piss poor debate, but his typical condescending, smarmy, elitist attitude came shining through as it always does. I give a SLIGHT advantage to Ryan, but it was very close.

I'd also like to fact check every one of their talking points, because Ryan a month ago told some outrageous lies.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:00:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have to say I was a little disappointed in Ryan. He should have took more control. Biden kept interrupting him, and Ryan was very patient. He needed to ask for his time, because Biden kept cutting in.

With that said I feel that Biden, debated more then I expected out of him, but lost points for laughing like a fool.

Biden used dumb come backs like "its never been done before"

Then Ryan said Kennedy did it

Biden shoots back "so your Jack Kennedy?"

Short fall to take the attention off the fact that Biden was WRONG!!

Its pretty BAD when you cant control your laughter when Ryan is talking about Iranian nuclear weapons. Does he not take this seriously? If he thinks its funny he needs to explain other then "this is just a bunch of stuff"

Yea great choice of words we understand now...

Biden disagreed with everything Ryan said, was he even listening?

Biden flat out denied that they knew it was a tarriest attack to the moderator when we all know now that is a lie!
Me
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:16:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Romney lied during the debate with Obama several times according to fact checkers. I didn't see Roy, Yoda, or other people complaining then.

Biden seriously demolished Ryan on several points. I think his one weak spot was abortion, but that is understandable. They shouldn't have even asked the candidates to link their religions (they shouldn't have discussed the religions at all) to their opinions on abortion. That was an unfair question.
CiRrK
Posts: 670
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:30:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
In terms of how people watching the debate percieved it, I have seen 3/4 polls giving Ryan the win (albeit most within the margin of error).
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:32:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 9:16:19 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Romney lied during the debate with Obama several times according to fact checkers. I didn't see Roy, Yoda, or other people complaining then.

Biden seriously demolished Ryan on several points. I think his one weak spot was abortion, but that is understandable. They shouldn't have even asked the candidates to link their religions (they shouldn't have discussed the religions at all) to their opinions on abortion. That was an unfair question.

Definitely. Religion and debate don't mix very well most of the time.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:50:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 9:16:19 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Romney lied during the debate with Obama several times according to fact checkers. I didn't see Roy, Yoda, or other people complaining then.

Biden seriously demolished Ryan on several points. I think his one weak spot was abortion, but that is understandable. They shouldn't have even asked the candidates to link their religions (they shouldn't have discussed the religions at all) to their opinions on abortion. That was an unfair question.

I said I was a disappointed in Ryan... Plus the moderator even said that we knew and the still lied... lol

I don't see you complaining now? lolol
Me
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 9:54:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 9:30:29 AM, CiRrK wrote:
In terms of how people watching the debate percieved it, I have seen 3/4 polls giving Ryan the win (albeit most within the margin of error).

Um, that's not true. One poll that was not biased had a Ryan win. Most have a decisive Biden win.
chrumbelievable
Posts: 210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:15:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I, unfortunately, haven't had a chance to watch it yet. You can chime in on the subject in one of today's featured "Opinion" posts (http://debate.org...). From what I have heard, though, Biden came out "guns a-blazing." I've also heard, however, that moderator Martha Raddatz was the true winner.

"At times it seemed as if Martha Raddatz, who moderated Thursday's vice presidential debate, was the third debater. At other times she was the seasoned ABC News war correspondent who kept the two guys in suits taking snarky swipes at each other in line. She pressed the candidates to give firm answers, such as when Vice President Joe Biden said Republican challenger Rep. Paul Ryan was just saying 'a bunch of stuff.' 'What does that mean, "a bunch of stuff?"' Raddatz asked Biden." (http://www.cnn.com...)
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:19:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 10:15:55 AM, chrumbelievable wrote:
I, unfortunately, haven't had a chance to watch it yet. You can chime in on the subject in one of today's featured "Opinion" posts (http://debate.org...). From what I have heard, though, Biden came out "guns a-blazing." I've also heard, however, that moderator Martha Raddatz was the true winner.

"At times it seemed as if Martha Raddatz, who moderated Thursday's vice presidential debate, was the third debater. At other times she was the seasoned ABC News war correspondent who kept the two guys in suits taking snarky swipes at each other in line. She pressed the candidates to give firm answers, such as when Vice President Joe Biden said Republican challenger Rep. Paul Ryan was just saying 'a bunch of stuff.' 'What does that mean, "a bunch of stuff?"' Raddatz asked Biden." (http://www.cnn.com...)

Yeah, the consensus seems to be that she was a great moderator. My only problem with her was her question regarding abortion and religion.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:24:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 10:19:15 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Yeah, the consensus seems to be that she was a great moderator. My only problem with her was her question regarding abortion and religion.

Biden is a disgrace to his religion. If I was a bishop, I would excommunicate him.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:24:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm trying to think of something that is MORE pointless than watching two powerful, ambitious men spew rhetoric for an hour. It's really no coincidence that the vast majority of people who are entertained by this are also entertained by TV dramas. If that's what gets you off then hey, so be it, but don't tell me this is "news" when it is purely entertainment. There is absolutely nothing productive, responsible, or enlightening about watching these debates or participating in politics in general, other than the anthropological observations...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:29:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 10:24:21 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I'm trying to think of something that is MORE pointless than watching two powerful, ambitious men spew rhetoric for an hour. It's really no coincidence that the vast majority of people who are entertained by this are also entertained by TV dramas. If that's what gets you off then hey, so be it, but don't tell me this is "news" when it is purely entertainment. There is absolutely nothing productive, responsible, or enlightening about watching these debates or participating in politics in general, other than the anthropological observations...

I agree with this analysis. I wasn't even going to bother watching it; I only did so because a friend was watching it and we decided to discuss it afterwards.
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:50:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 10:15:55 AM, chrumbelievable wrote:
I, unfortunately, haven't had a chance to watch it yet. You can chime in on the subject in one of today's featured "Opinion" posts (http://debate.org...). From what I have heard, though, Biden came out "guns a-blazing." I've also heard, however, that moderator Martha Raddatz was the true winner.

Posted my response.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
inferno
Posts: 10,565
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:58:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 8:24:13 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Ryan won, but Biden scored some debater's points.

Biden came across as a condescending fool, with his uncontrolled laughing at Ryan. The Vice President has the role of working with Congress, and that attitude is fatal to any thought of bipartisanship. It would just lose conduct in an academic debate, but for veep it's more serious.

Biden lied big time about Libya. He said that the intelligence agencies told the Administration for a week that the YouTube video was behind the Benghazi attack. There has already been testimony before Congress that intelligence had identified it as a terrorist attack within 24 hours, and that it was never attributed to the video. Big lie.

Biden won. He was straightfoward, blunt, firm, and relentless. Ryan looked weak and small.
inferno
Posts: 10,565
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 10:59:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 10:19:15 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 10/12/2012 10:15:55 AM, chrumbelievable wrote:
I, unfortunately, haven't had a chance to watch it yet. You can chime in on the subject in one of today's featured "Opinion" posts (http://debate.org...). From what I have heard, though, Biden came out "guns a-blazing." I've also heard, however, that moderator Martha Raddatz was the true winner.

"At times it seemed as if Martha Raddatz, who moderated Thursday's vice presidential debate, was the third debater. At other times she was the seasoned ABC News war correspondent who kept the two guys in suits taking snarky swipes at each other in line. She pressed the candidates to give firm answers, such as when Vice President Joe Biden said Republican challenger Rep. Paul Ryan was just saying 'a bunch of stuff.' 'What does that mean, "a bunch of stuff?"' Raddatz asked Biden." (http://www.cnn.com...)

Yeah, the consensus seems to be that she was a great moderator. My only problem with her was her question regarding abortion and religion.

Most people are against abortion. But they do support Roe vs Wade Royale.
That is life, deal with it.
inferno
Posts: 10,565
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 11:00:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 10:24:21 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I'm trying to think of something that is MORE pointless than watching two powerful, ambitious men spew rhetoric for an hour. It's really no coincidence that the vast majority of people who are entertained by this are also entertained by TV dramas. If that's what gets you off then hey, so be it, but don't tell me this is "news" when it is purely entertainment. There is absolutely nothing productive, responsible, or enlightening about watching these debates or participating in politics in general, other than the anthropological observations...

You speak a very profound truth my friend. Most people here in our country are not realistic enough to understand the depth of what you just said.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 2:33:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Biden not only exceeded expectations, he embarrassed Ryan. It was closer than the presidential debate but it was a clear win for Biden.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
WW
Posts: 100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 2:46:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 2:33:06 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Biden not only exceeded expectations, he embarrassed Ryan. It was closer than the presidential debate but it was a clear win for Biden.

lol, no it wasn't.
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 2:46:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 2:33:06 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Biden not only exceeded expectations, he embarrassed Ryan. It was closer than the presidential debate but it was a clear win for Biden.

I don't see how anyone can compare the two.

In the presidential debate, Romney had to fight the moderator to give him his allotted time, and that is what people called 'being rude'.

In this debate, Biden interrupted Ryan, and spent his quiet time making exaggerated laughs/smirks/eye-rolls/throwing hands in the air.

Romney acted like a President. Biden acted like a teenager.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 3:01:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 2:58:58 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
Biden won. Biden clearly won.

How so?

Did he lie more or less than Ryan?

Did he flub his own arguments(mis-speak, etc) more or less than Ryan?

Did he give his opponent uninterrupted time to speak(including non-verbal interruption) more or less than Ryan?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 3:18:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 3:01:44 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 10/12/2012 2:58:58 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
Biden won. Biden clearly won.

How so?

Did he lie more or less than Ryan?

Did he flub his own arguments(mis-speak, etc) more or less than Ryan?

Did he give his opponent uninterrupted time to speak(including non-verbal interruption) more or less than Ryan?

http://www.politifact.com...

Politifact caught Biden saying some half-true statements, while Ryan was caught saying mostly false and false statements.

I thought Biden did a good job calling Ryan's out and responding to Ryan. Biden was clear that the last thing the USA needs is another war, called Ryan out for requesting Stimulus money to help the economy, and stressed his commitment to the economy and middle class. Ryan said he would not increase military spending which contradicts his and Romney's previous position, and never gave details about his and Romney's "master bipartisan plan" to cut taxes and keep most benefits.
imabench
Posts: 21,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 3:18:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I change my vote to a tie.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 3:24:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/12/2012 6:53:59 AM, Microsuck wrote:
Who do you feel won the debate?

Personally, I feel Paul Ryan won

Agreed with before the debate:-Ryan-0 points
Agreed with after the debate:-Ryan-0 points
Who had better conduct:-Ryan-1 point
Who had better grammar:-Ryan-1 point
Made more convincing arguments:-Ryan-3 points
Used the most reliable sources:-Tie-2 points

Ryan 5 pints, Biden 0
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle