Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

Does American culture promote psychopathy?

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:01:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm talking mainstream media - shows and movies. With the release of "Seven Psychopaths" the question got me thinking. It's far from isolated, I don't watch a ton of TV but in "Always Sunny" it seems most if not all of the main characters are essentially psychopaths. Tucker Max is probably another example. There's plenty more examples, but it would seem that psychopathy fascinates us and sells: it allows us entrance into a life totally free from social or moral norms. I'm not disputing that it's fascinating.

Let's take a look at the checklist:

The twenty traits assessed by the PCL-R score are:

glib and superficial charm
grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self
need for stimulation
pathological lying
cunning and manipulativeness
lack of remorse or guilt
shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness)
callousness and lack of empathy
parasitic lifestyle
poor behavioral controls
sexual promiscuity
early behavior problems
lack of realistic long-term goals
impulsivity
irresponsibility
failure to accept responsibility for own actions
many short-term marital relationships
juvenile delinquency
revocation of conditional release
criminal versatility

I'm certainly not saying that anyone is arguing that psychopathy is good, but rather that repeated displays of it in the media have a tendency to glorify a condition that's unbelievably destructive to civilization.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:04:53 PM
At 10/15/2012 5:01:53 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I'm talking mainstream media - shows and movies. With the release of "Seven Psychopaths" the question got me thinking. It's far from isolated, I don't watch a ton of TV but in "Always Sunny" it seems most if not all of the main characters are essentially psychopaths. Tucker Max is probably another example. There's plenty more examples, but it would seem that psychopathy fascinates us and sells: it allows us entrance into a life totally free from social or moral norms. I'm not disputing that it's fascinating.

need for stimulation
pathological lying
lack of remorse or guilt
parasitic lifestyle
poor behavioral controls
sexual promiscuity
early behavior problems
impulsivity
irresponsibility
juvenile delinquency
criminal versatility

I'm certainly not saying that anyone is arguing that psychopathy is good, but rather that repeated displays of it in the media have a tendency to glorify a condition that's unbelievably destructive to civilization.:

Sounds like human behavior, not exclusively American behavior.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:07:53 PM
At 10/15/2012 5:04:53 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

need for stimulation
pathological lying
lack of remorse or guilt
parasitic lifestyle
poor behavioral controls
sexual promiscuity
early behavior problems
impulsivity
irresponsibility
juvenile delinquency
criminal versatility

I'm certainly not saying that anyone is arguing that psychopathy is good, but rather that repeated displays of it in the media have a tendency to glorify a condition that's unbelievably destructive to civilization.:

Sounds like human behavior, not exclusively American behavior.

I don't mean to single out the Americans, I can really only comment on American culture because I live here.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:14:40 PM

need for stimulation
pathological lying
lack of remorse or guilt
parasitic lifestyle
poor behavioral controls
sexual promiscuity
early behavior problems
impulsivity
irresponsibility
juvenile delinquency
criminal versatility

I'm certainly not saying that anyone is arguing that psychopathy is good, but rather that repeated displays of it in the media have a tendency to glorify a condition that's unbelievably destructive to civilization.

Always Sunny is a satire of the self centeredness of American culture. You'd have to have just glanced at it for a second and then walked away to not pick up on that.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:15:55 PM
I wouldn't target "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia." In fact, I would give it credit for being one of the few shows that doesn't glorify psychopathic behavior. It exposes psychopathic behavior and shows why it fails everytime.

"It's Always Sunny" is pure quality in entertainment and message.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:17:37 PM
At 10/15/2012 5:14:40 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Always Sunny is a satire of the self centeredness of American culture. You'd have to have just glanced at it for a second and then walked away to not pick up on that.

Beat me to it, well said.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:19:10 PM
At 10/15/2012 5:15:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I wouldn't target "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia." In fact, I would give it credit for being one of the few shows that doesn't glorify psychopathic behavior. It exposes psychopathic behavior and shows why it fails everytime.

"It's Always Sunny" is pure quality in entertainment and message.

Wow that's a strange thing to agree on, but yes. And although I haven't seen 7 Psychopaths, I have to assume that most of the characters aren't portrayed as "good" or "favorable" people.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:22:54 PM
I like "Always Sunny" and I don't want to get bogged down on one individual case. Again, the issue is not whether people are directly saying that psychopathy is good, but whether the film, book, or show has the effect of glorifying psychopathic behavior. It doesn't matter if the psychopath "gets it in the end" - it's whether he's portrayed as that kind of alpha-male that people emulate.

Not to sound to like a feminist, but I really think the relationship between hyper-masculinity and psychopathy is fascinating.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:26:35 PM
At 10/15/2012 5:22:54 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I like "Always Sunny" and I don't want to get bogged down on one individual case. Again, the issue is not whether people are directly saying that psychopathy is good, but whether the film, book, or show has the effect of glorifying psychopathic behavior. It doesn't matter if the psychopath "gets it in the end" - it's whether he's portrayed as that kind of alpha-male that people emulate.

Not to sound to like a feminist, but I really think the relationship between hyper-masculinity and psychopathy is fascinating.

I always thought Psychopaths tend to act like people that might be gay....like, more feminine.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:29:10 PM
At 10/15/2012 5:26:35 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I always thought Psychopaths tend to act like people that might be gay....like, more feminine.

I don't think so.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:31:08 PM
At 10/15/2012 5:29:10 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

I don't think so.

Now, where the hell am I suppose to take this from that?

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:37:26 PM
At 10/15/2012 5:31:08 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I don't think so.

Do you want proof? Find hyper-masculine characters or people: Have you read the Watchmen comics? Take the Comedian. The character traits are basically identical with psychopathy. That's the clearest example I know, but perhaps we could also group in Christian Bale in American Psycho (haven't seen the movie) or Mike Tyson in the 80s.

Of course there are female psychopaths, but I think they have male brains. The psychopath views people as objects - look into neuroscience that's the sign of an extremely male brain. The other end is treating everything as if it had feelings.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:40:05 PM
At 10/15/2012 5:37:26 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 10/15/2012 5:31:08 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I don't think so.

Do you want proof? Find hyper-masculine characters or people: Have you read the Watchmen comics? Take the Comedian. The character traits are basically identical with psychopathy. That's the clearest example I know, but perhaps we could also group in Christian Bale in American Psycho (haven't seen the movie) or Mike Tyson in the 80s.

Of course there are female psychopaths, but I think they have male brains. The psychopath views people as objects - look into neuroscience that's the sign of an extremely male brain. The other end is treating everything as if it had feelings.

And you say don't take me as a feminist......

Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:41:00 PM
At 10/15/2012 5:38:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:
American culture is the result of psychopathy.

Result is the culture of psychopathic Americans.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 12:22:29 AM
At 10/15/2012 5:41:00 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 10/15/2012 5:38:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:
American culture is the result of psychopathy.

Result is the culture of psychopathic Americans.

Culture is the American result of psychopenis culture culture culture culture.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord