Jump to topic:

Ballot Questions

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 2:59:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There must be some interesting Ballot Questions in the up coming election. We have a few, but probably the two biggest are Medical Marijuana and Doctor Assisted Suicide. I am in favor of both.... however....

The process that will be allowed if Question 2 passes, the one on Doctor Assisted Suicide, will permit a doctor to prescribe a patient who has been diagnosed with 6 months to live with Seconal. The patient is asked to take 100 pills and will pass quietly in their home, or where ever they want.

I have to admit, although I am in favor of someone choosing to end their life when they want seems to be a fundamental right of the individual, hearing the process like this is a little bit jarring.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 3:23:45 PM
At 10/16/2012 2:59:57 PM, innomen wrote:
There must be some interesting Ballot Questions in the up coming election. We have a few, but probably the two biggest are Medical Marijuana and Doctor Assisted Suicide. I am in favor of both.... however....

The process that will be allowed if Question 2 passes, the one on Doctor Assisted Suicide, will permit a doctor to prescribe a patient who has been diagnosed with 6 months to live with Seconal. The patient is asked to take 100 pills and will pass quietly in their home, or where ever they want.

I have to admit, although I am in favor of someone choosing to end their life when they want seems to be a fundamental right of the individual, hearing the process like this is a little bit jarring.

Life is cheap.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 3:40:04 PM
Is it jarring because they are doing it without supervision?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 3:17:09 PM
At 10/17/2012 1:07:23 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Dammit all, another thread on this?!

I haven't been paying too close attention. Is this a ballot question for many states?

I find it jarring because it really isn't medical assisted suicide, at least as most would think of it, certainly not medically supervised. I think it's jarring because people don't always just fall asleep and go off into nothingness, but sometimes start vomiting up the pills and and up dying of asphyxiation, which isn't pleasant. It seems to be almost casual in how the whole thing is conducted.

I am in favor of someone being able to take their own life, just because there is nothing more fundamentally ours, than our lives. However, as in many things, the actual application of this principle is harder to accommodate than the principle in theory.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 3:20:01 PM
At 10/17/2012 3:17:09 PM, innomen wrote:
At 10/17/2012 1:07:23 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Dammit all, another thread on this?!

I haven't been paying too close attention. Is this a ballot question for many states?

I find it jarring because it really isn't medical assisted suicide, at least as most would think of it, certainly not medically supervised. I think it's jarring because people don't always just fall asleep and go off into nothingness, but sometimes start vomiting up the pills and and up dying of asphyxiation, which isn't pleasant. It seems to be almost casual in how the whole thing is conducted.

I am in favor of someone being able to take their own life, just because there is nothing more fundamentally ours, than our lives. However, as in many things, the actual application of this principle is harder to accommodate than the principle in theory.

We should allow it but switch to death by fat woman crushing.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord