Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Government subsidies.

DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:12:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 9:10:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Do you think govenment intervention with subsidies to select industries is a form of centrally planned Communism?

Communism no, Nationalism yes.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,760
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:14:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No. Communism is when all the means of production are owned by the people. Subsidies are not communism on account of subsidies do not require the government to take over all the means of production for the people.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:15:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 9:12:28 PM, DanT wrote:
At 10/17/2012 9:10:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Do you think govenment intervention with subsidies to select industries is a form of centrally planned Communism?

Communism no, Nationalism yes.

Really? No subsidies go to other nations?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:18:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 9:14:48 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
No. Communism is when all the means of production are owned by the people. Subsidies are not communism on account of subsidies do not require the government to take over all the means of production for the people.

Oh so government does not take over the means of the production of energy through subsidies?

Ok.
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,760
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:24:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago

Oh so government does not take over the means of the production of energy through subsidies?

Ok.

Communism would be if the government completed owned every single industry like retail stores, restaurants, farms, law firms, not just one industry.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:26:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 9:24:05 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Oh so government does not take over the means of the production of energy through subsidies?

Ok.

Communism would be if the government completed owned every single industry like retail stores, restaurants, farms, law firms, not just one industry.

Well it's a start!
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:32:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
That's ironic. I just spent a whole essay railing about the negative effects of government subsidies towards the entertainment and cultural sector.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:33:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 9:15:31 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 10/17/2012 9:12:28 PM, DanT wrote:
At 10/17/2012 9:10:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Do you think govenment intervention with subsidies to select industries is a form of centrally planned Communism?

Communism no, Nationalism yes.

Really? No subsidies go to other nations?

Make up your mind, is the subject foreign aid or domestic subsidies?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:35:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
greyparrot, have you heard roy's rants on what he considers neosocialism. You might find it interesting. Basically he says that the new form of socialism isn't to control the industries directly, but to regulate them and subsidize/tax them so the effect is that they act like government firms.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:36:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/17/2012 9:31:38 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Well it's a start!

You believe that giving subsidies to industries is a start of communism?