Jump to topic:

Can you be republican and agnostic?

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 10:04:47 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Is there any major political figure out there that is agnostic, atheist, or just not religious?

Who is out there that is at least conservative and agnostic, atheist, or just not religious?

Come on, lets dig and find out who.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 10:10:47 PM
Nags is Republican and atheist. http://www.debate.org...

There is probably a lot more. Being an atheist doesn't necessarily mean you're a Democrat, but what happens is that most atheists seem to be more socially liberal than conservative - I'd think it would be about even economically.

And since the Republican party is mostly run by a bunch of religious conservatives, most atheists/agnostics won't go to them for obvious reasons.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 10:13:28 PM
At 9/30/2009 10:10:47 PM, Volkov wrote:
Nags is Republican and atheist. http://www.debate.org...

There is probably a lot more. Being an atheist doesn't necessarily mean you're a Democrat, but what happens is that most atheists seem to be more socially liberal than conservative - I'd think it would be about even economically.

And since the Republican party is mostly run by a bunch of religious conservatives, most atheists/agnostics won't go to them for obvious reasons.

So will we ever have a conservative president that does not believe in "God"

christian god, mormon god, catholic god, or any other.

what about a deist president....

please give me some hope...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 10:25:37 PM
At 9/30/2009 10:13:28 PM, comoncents wrote:
So will we ever have a conservative president that does not believe in "God"

christian god, mormon god, catholic god, or any other.

There is definitely a possibility, but not until public opinion shifts in the US. Atheists have a bad stigma attached to them, and until that wears off, you won't see a US President that doesn't believe somewhat in God, at least publicly.

But, you can compare that to Canada, where last election we had a major party leader who has admitted once or twice that he is an agnostic, and no one really cared.

what about a deist president....

You might have had that already. A lot of the Founding Fathers, including those that became President, were deist. I don't have a list handy right now.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 10:55:46 PM
Ge. Washington, John Adams(probably), Th. Jefferson, James Madison were deists. I can't answer for others, but they were. So at the very least there have been deist presidents.

The sad thing is, I doubt a deist would be acceptable today...
tmhustler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 11:48:23 PM
I will be the first agnostic/ atheist/ conservative president 2024 hope I can count on your vote
latest debate http://www.debate.org...
purpose of education only 3 votes so far
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 11:49:11 PM
At 9/30/2009 11:48:23 PM, tmhustler wrote:
I will be the first agnostic/ atheist/ conservative president 2024 hope I can count on your vote

your funny...
you have my vote.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2009 11:50:05 PM
At 9/30/2009 11:48:23 PM, tmhustler wrote:

I love the wink and the cheesy smile!
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 2:25:04 AM
At 9/30/2009 10:04:47 PM, comoncents wrote:
Is there any major political figure out there that is agnostic, atheist, or just not religious?

No. And that goes for liberals too. You don't get elected if you aren't Christian in the US. It's horrid but true.
So prove me wrong, then.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 7:08:47 AM

In modern times, no not really... mainly because conservative has come to mean Republican which has become the theocratic party.

Historically you have Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin in the United States (Jefferson and Franklin fall under deism though it is clear through their ideas that in modern times that would fall under agnostic).
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 8:21:17 AM
Ah, yes... the elusive elected non-theist republican. He is indeed a very rare species. Some have even claimed him to be extinct... But the very rare sighting every once in awhile suggests otherwise. Of course, the sightings may be mistaken because the non-theist republican must imitate a theist republican in order for the republicans to accept him among their pack. If at any moment his charade is found out they will eat him alive.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 8:26:38 AM
People vote not on the issues at hand or the greater good of society, but what is of utmost value and importance to them specifically. To so many people, their faith is the main component of their lives. Additionally, many people believe that God must be kept in government by electing religious officials (as a way to get around the whole non-existent Separation of Church and State thing). As such, a majority of people would NOT elect an atheist politician. Period. The truth is that we really have no way of knowing what these politicians actually believe; they will say and do just about anything to get elected.
President of DDO
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 8:29:24 AM
Agreed with Lwerd. I think in some areas it may be possible for an atheist to be elected into the Democratic Party. I think it almost impossible (unless they lie about their belief in god) for an atheist to be elected into the Republican Party.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 8:37:31 AM
At 10/1/2009 8:21:17 AM, JBlake wrote:
Ah, yes... the elusive elected non-theist republican. He is indeed a very rare species.

I find elected atheist democrats pretty darn elusive too. Any examples?

What congressmen are non-religious, for example? Some claim Pete Stark is an Atheist, but he is a Unitarian. Which is still a religion. Admittedly, some interpret it as being without a god, but still a religion.
So prove me wrong, then.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 8:58:21 AM
Yes, Pete Stark is a Unitarian. However, he is on record saying he "does not believe in a Supreme Being." This makes him an Atheist.

Of course, there being one does not make the Democratic Party any better than the Republicans in acceptance of Atheists. You are correct in that regard. But I do think that Democrats are more accepting in some districts, but not in the party as a whole.
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 9:04:20 AM
At 10/1/2009 8:58:21 AM, JBlake wrote:
Yes, Pete Stark is a Unitarian. However, he is on record saying he "does not believe in a Supreme Being." This makes him an Atheist.

While still being religious. Ah well, halfway there is better than nothing. :)
So prove me wrong, then.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 11:22:23 AM
At 10/1/2009 8:21:17 AM, JBlake wrote:
Ah, yes... the elusive elected non-theist republican. He is indeed a very rare species. Some have even claimed him to be extinct... But the very rare sighting every once in awhile suggests otherwise. Of course, the sightings may be mistaken because the non-theist republican must imitate a theist republican in order for the republicans to accept him among their pack. If at any moment his charade is found out they will eat him alive.

Well it seems that catholics are further to from thinking about there religion before making a decision.

Maybe a catholic in the white house will be the closest thing to an agnostic.

I guess i just want someone that is not going to make it there agenda to make america a "christian nation"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 1:24:39 PM
Mussolini was a closet atheist. He conformed to Catholicism to gain power, and had to do a dance aroudn the Pope for doing any major changes.

Mussolini was also a Fascist, precursors to republicans.

Also, I think the notion people wouldn't vote for someone based on a completley private issue is ridiculous. Since when does someone's belief in God effect how they run a country?

Sure, the Atheist stigma is attached to Communism but it's the same as saying Christianity was in Fascism so it must be wrong.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 6:59:14 PM
At 10/1/2009 1:24:39 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Since when does someone's belief in God effect how they run a country?

george bush did,
mike huckabee will make god the driving force of his decisions.