Jump to topic:

Best Pundits

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 11:10:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just list the pundits/political scientists you think are most intelligent, have most facts, best panel of guests, and are most interesting, preferably on national media from the 3 dominant news stations (MSNBC, CNN, FOX). Try not to pick people you just agree with.

These are mine, in no particular order:
1. Fareed Zhakaria
2. Melissa Harris Perry
3. Candy Crowley
4. Rachel Maddow
5. Chris Hayes
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 11:17:23 AM
I kind of lost my respect for Fareed Zakaria after we found out that he plagiarized. Rachel Maddow is very biased.

John Stewart (though I disagree with him), and Joe Scarborough are my favorite pundits, or are at least entertaining. I haven't warmed up to any of the FOX news pundits, because their yelling and ad hom attacks just annoy me.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 11:18:05 AM
I don't like any of these people, particularly. And Fareed is a plagiarist.

I DO like Mark Belling, though. Even though I disagree with about half of what he says.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 11:26:30 AM
At 10/21/2012 11:18:05 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I DO like Mark Belling, though. Even though I disagree with about half of what he says.

He apologized though..and that's the only time he's every plagiarized. He brings a very distinguished and diverse panel to GPS and always provides an articulate perspective on global issues. A mistake shouldn't be enough to ruin someone's entire credibility, career and worth as a journalist.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 11:32:17 AM
At 10/21/2012 11:26:30 AM, 000ike wrote:

He apologized though..and that's the only time he's every plagiarized. He brings a very distinguished and diverse panel to GPS and always provides an articulate perspective on global issues. A mistake shouldn't be enough to ruin someone's entire credibility, career and worth as a journalist.

I agree, I agree. However, at the same time, it is still a "mistake" that detracts a LOT of respect. Also, he has used information from interviews conducted by other journalists without citing that those journalists conducted the interviews. http://www.theatlantic.com...#
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 11:54:11 AM

lol sure it should.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 12:59:26 PM
Fareed Zakaria, Rachel Maddow, Joe Scarborough, John Stossel, Andrew Napolitano, Juan Williams, Charles Krauthammer, Pat Buchanan, Dylan Ratigan, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert

These are all pundits who speak their minds about what they feel is the truth regardless of popular opinion, are all intelligent and knowledgeable and independent thinkers, and are genuinely interested in politics/political philosophy. Note that these are not just people I'm ideologically aligned with. That applies only to Stossel and Napolitano and to a lesser extent, Buchanan, who is a paleoconservative. These are the people to watch in the news if you want smart, independent, entertaining, and thought provoking coverage.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 1:01:48 PM
At 10/21/2012 11:54:11 AM, Maikuru wrote:

lol sure it should.

Do you have a reason why, or does brutality make you happy?
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 1:30:59 PM
-Jon Stewart (because he's hilarious and about 80% of what he says isn't complete BS)
-Andrew Napolitano (libertarian of course, wish he didn't cling so much to the Constitution)

I would have listed Stossel but I can't really enjoy his program since it always feels like he's talking down to viewers. He gets an honorable mention though I suppose.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 1:42:13 PM
Jon Stewart
Anderson Cooper
Brian Williams
Steven Colbert
Fareed Zakaria (Used to be second but then the plagiarism thing happened)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 1:51:51 PM
At 10/21/2012 11:10:31 AM, 000ike wrote:
4. Rachel Maddow

She's a historical revisionist and economic illiterate. "It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a 'dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance." -Murray N. Rothbard
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 2:02:16 PM
At 10/21/2012 1:51:51 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
4. Rachel Maddow

She's a historical revisionist and economic illiterate. "It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a 'dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance." -Murray N. Rothbard

Yeah, but at least she's an honest, consistent liberal, who will criticize the foreign policy establishment, speak out for civil liberties, criticize Obama on all these subjects... She's given honest coverage of Ron Paul and the Republican Party's war on him... I respect her despite her abysmal ignorance of everything economics and fiscal policy.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 2:05:02 PM
4. Rachel Maddow

Oh the irony.
Open borders debate:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 2:06:55 PM
Ah forgot about Anderson Cooper. Love that guy.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 2:09:26 PM
4. Rachel Maddow

Oh wow, one inaccuracy that's prevalent in most modern interpretations of the Great Depression, what an awful illiterate she is! Here's a clip demonstrating one of the reasons why I REALLY Like the Rachel Maddow show 14:00 - 15:00
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 2:16:21 PM
At 10/21/2012 2:06:55 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Ah forgot about Anderson Cooper. Love that guy.

Hes the only reason I would ever watch CNN....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 9:12:00 PM
At 10/21/2012 1:01:48 PM, 000ike wrote:

lol sure it should.

lol that's a hilarious use of the word brutality. A journalist is as good as his word. Once that's lost, they're as good as useless.
- lamerde

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 1:35:45 AM
At 10/21/2012 2:09:26 PM, 000ike wrote:

Oh wow, one inaccuracy that's prevalent in most modern interpretations of the Great Depression, what an awful illiterate she is!

She is an economic illiterate and historical revisionist as the clips clearly demonstrate. Do you have any evidence to the contrary? She was trying to build on the narrative of 'government as savior' by lying about Herbert Hoover's interventionism and claiming he didn't use government policy to stop the impending depression, which is false. She then mentioned FDR's triumphant policies that came to save the day after the tyrannical laissez-faire of Herbert Hoover. It has to make you chuckle a little the first time you watch it. Also, this isn't a prevalent historical view. Anyone who has read the primary sources and analyzed Hoover's political career and presidency wouldn't be duped into thinking otherwise.

This sums it up quite nicely, "Despite an undeserved, fallacious, but enduring reputation as a do-nothing who simply accepted the Depression as an unpleasant fact of economic life that simply must be endured, President Hoover did try to end the Great Depression and, in fact, probably did more to deal with it than any preceding president had ever done in time of economic catastrophe." http://www.austincc.edu...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 1:39:02 AM
At 10/21/2012 2:05:02 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Oh the irony.

If that's directed toward the stark contrast between revisionism of Maddow and the historical reality, then I agree: it's pretty ironic.

If that's directed at me, would you like to add constructive criticism, or are you just trying to be a douchebag?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 2:01:03 AM
John Stossel
Neil Cavuto
Kimberly Guilfoyle (hot chick from The Five)
Greg Gutfeld (The Five, Red Eye)
Bill O'Reilly
Rachel Maddow
Lou Dobbs
Jon Stewart
Steven Colbert
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 2:07:52 AM
At 10/21/2012 11:10:31 AM, 000ike wrote
1. Fareed Zhakaria

Bilderberg scum who admittedly hates the Constitution. You can also see him pictured having a chat with his buddy Henry Kissinger, globalist war criminal.

http://www.infowars.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 5:28:14 AM
At 10/22/2012 2:07:52 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
1. Fareed Zhakaria

Bilderberg scum who admittedly hates the Constitution. You can also see him pictured having a chat with his buddy Henry Kissinger, globalist war criminal.

Why bother speaking if garbage always comes out?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 5:33:37 AM
At 10/21/2012 9:12:00 PM, Maikuru wrote:

lol sure it should.

lol that's a hilarious use of the word brutality. A journalist is as good as his word. Once that's lost, they're as good as useless.

His word isn't lost forever especially seeing that he's made incredible original contributions to the world of journalism and to ours. I really really hate people that can't forgive other people. I mean, if you can't forgive anyone for anything...if you don't believe in any kind of second chance, you're demonstrating an acute indifference to human fallibility. You know that human beings are bound to make serious errors, yet you don't yield in the severity of your punishment from a genuine apology, as if you gain some sick sense of righteousness to see people ruined. In some cases I consider this on the borderline of depravity and on the pathway to sadism.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 11:02:19 AM
At 10/22/2012 5:33:37 AM, 000ike wrote:

His word isn't lost forever especially seeing that he's made incredible original contributions to the world of journalism and to ours. I really really hate people that can't forgive other people. I mean, if you can't forgive anyone for anything...if you don't believe in any kind of second chance, you're demonstrating an acute indifference to human fallibility. You know that human beings are bound to make serious errors, yet you don't yield in the severity of your punishment from a genuine apology, as if you gain some sick sense of righteousness to see people ruined. In some cases I consider this on the borderline of depravity and on the pathway to sadism.

His complete loss of credibility is based on the relationship between his offense and his professional responsibilities. If your job is to create unique, factual news articles, you're free to do something ethically questionable like take steroids with little risk to your career. One of the only things you're not allowed to do is to knowingly and deceptively steal another journalist's words and pass them off as your own. That's the antithesis of his expectations, and thus a deal breaker. Conversely, Lance Armstrong is free to plagiarize whatever he wants and it wouldn't matter.

Also, his accomplishments and regrets have nothing to do with this. It was his job to make those original journalistic contributions you mentioned, so they hardly mitigate his culpability. Similarly, an apology has nothing to do with professional credibility.
- lamerde

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 12:15:05 PM

lol sure it should.

maybe if osama bin laden apologized, we could've given him a second chance.
Open borders debate:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 12:25:36 PM
At 10/22/2012 12:15:05 PM, darkkermit wrote:

lol sure it should.

Yes, because plagiarism is as horrendous of a crime as violent terrorism . . .
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 12:34:54 PM
At 10/22/2012 5:28:14 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/22/2012 2:07:52 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
1. Fareed Zhakaria

Why bother speaking if garbage always comes out?

ROFL!
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 2:01:26 PM

Never should be forgiven, there are some rules that are pretty easy to follow, and when you don't, it denotes more about who you are, and what your intent is, than the actual crime. It's not like he slipped, and accidently stole. I feel the same way for half the staff at the Boston Globe, and Mike Barnacle in particular. They should be fired and find a different line of work, as if they had the ability.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 2:07:38 PM
At 10/22/2012 12:15:05 PM, darkkermit wrote:

stick to math and economics, I swear you say some of the dumbest sh!t in any other topic. I'll leave it to you to figure out what so egregiously ridiculous about what you just wrote.