Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Governments respone to limitless energy?

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:06:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
IMAGINE

Easily produced, limitless energy has been discovered.

Soon after its discovery, it is published worldwide how to recreate it at home.

It costs little money and simple assembly.

What would happen to national governments worldwide?
Like_a_Boss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:18:41 AM
Honestly I think it would create a huge power shift. Countries in the Middle East would collapse because their only export is fossil fuels and developed countries who relied on the Middle East would soar without the reliance on each other.

And then the zombies would rise and screw us all over. End of story!
Like a Boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:22:12 AM
At 10/23/2012 9:18:41 AM, Like_a_Boss wrote:
Honestly I think it would create a huge power shift. Countries in the Middle East would collapse because their only export is fossil fuels and developed countries who relied on the Middle East would soar without the reliance on each other.

Aside from the zombies, how would society react in your scenario?
Like_a_Boss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:36:21 AM
I think in all countries it would be a miracle of sorts. It would solve the energy crisis and reduce pollution in the atmosphere in developed countries. And in developed countries it would be a life-saver. Power could be generated anywhere, even in remote villages where the concept of electricity has never graced and in urban areas where electricity is needed too much to provide power to the entire city. On the other hand it would come with negative effects. The entire power sector in the entire world would put out of business. An example of this in real life is how major oil companies own patents to multiple vehicles capable of running on clean energy sources. If it got out it would put them out of business and that could seriously harm the economy. Anyways, the power sector would collapse, and oil industries in 3rd world countries would collapse, screwing an already bad economy and that would leave them desperate. And desperation= war.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:44:04 AM
At 10/23/2012 9:36:21 AM, Like_a_Boss wrote:
Anyways, the power sector would collapse, and oil industries in 3rd world countries would collapse, screwing an already bad economy and that would leave them desperate. And desperation= war.

What would boost their economy enough to prevent war in those conditions?
Like_a_Boss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:53:10 AM
I think if they received assistance from developed countries in this scenario it might actually be effective. You know how in places like Africa where people are trying to improve living conditions but it's kind of hopeless because the people don't know what they are missing? I think electricity would give them a taste of modernization, and make these efforts to modernize and industrialize these countries might send them of their course of taking resources to survive, and set them on the path to pouring their resources into the economy instead of war. Do you get what I am saying?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 9:55:02 AM
you two need to stop talking and actually look at this scenario realistically.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 10:01:05 AM
At 10/23/2012 9:55:02 AM, imabench wrote:

Please elaborate
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 10:17:45 AM
At 10/23/2012 10:01:05 AM, pozessed wrote:
At 10/23/2012 9:55:02 AM, imabench wrote:

Please elaborate

1) Assuming people go crazy with recreating this kind of stuff at home, it will still take a good number of years for the world to adapt all the ships, airplanes, cars, buses, trains, etc to this new technology. It wont happen overnight, and in wont happen in a single year, so there will still be demand for oil, and lots of it.

2) Just because it can be recreated at home, it doesnt mean every single damn household in the world has access to the resources and time needed to actually recreate it. There wouldnt be a massive movement by people to immediately convert to this new form of energy and some people might not even give a sh*t about it.

3) Governments exist for much more then just providing energy, and to assume they do is retarded. The US government will still be in perfectly good shape along with 90% of the rest of the world with this new technology, and the other 10% of nations that rely mostly on oil for money would do alright for a few more years too. After that, you could argue they could suffer, but they wont collapse overnight like one of you said before.

4) Just because energy can be created at home it doesnt necessarily mean its even reliable or that people would trust it. If it was discovered that people can create their own nuclear reactors to power their stuff do you think people would go out and build this stuff without asking any questions? of course not. With new technology there is always a period of questioning how reliable it is and what its longetivity could be.

5) Longetivity ^. If a power source can be produced easily at home but it can quickly be unseated by something new and even better, people wont go all out and get the technology when they know an even better version is right around the corner. You know how a new Iphone comes out like once a year yet people still hang on to their old ones/ Same argument

6) Unlimited energy wont end all wars. Not even one war has been fought for control over electricity, and to claim that this will end wars is retarded. Wars have been fought over religion, arbitrary lines on maps, dislike for the other nations government, manifest destiny, and many other things, but energy has never been one of them.

7) This technology could quite easily cause some problems. One of which is that a warlord in an african country somewhere could exploit this technology to their own gain and then prevent people opposed to his cynical rule from having access to the same technology. They could possibly only get this access to cheap and limitless energy once they let the warlord do whatever he wants, and that could potentially cause enormous problems.

8) Another problem of this technology is whether or not it makes people sick. If this energy gives off huge amounts of radiation but people dont realize it until 5 years later, well now you have a good chunk of humanity dying out.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Like_a_Boss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 10:25:11 AM
Imabench we are talking about a scenario that will never exist!!! So naturally we aren't looking at it with every single aspect of reality.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 10:35:19 AM
At 10/23/2012 10:17:06 AM, Like_a_Boss wrote:
ANYWAYS, how do you think this scenario would play out?

If the scenario happened, I think that most societies that use modern energy sources would have a vast difference in their savable income.
Once people are able to save money they will spend more money on expensive necessaties and irrational desires. In effect they would help boost the economies.
I also think that this would bring new production of industry that could be attained in all areas of the world enriching the lives of anyone who lived within those societies.

I haven't put much thought into i. That's why I asked here.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 11:35:41 AM
Oil will economically crash. Granted that oil is very important for other materials, and it will take many years for the change to take place, but the fact of the matter is people will realise it'll be near worthless soon (or think so), and so the price will drop. Others will follow suit, and economic crash in the sector.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 11:38:20 AM
At 10/23/2012 10:35:19 AM, pozessed wrote:

If the scenario happened, I think that most societies that use modern energy sources would have a vast difference in their savable income.
Once people are able to save money they will spend more money on expensive necessaties and irrational desires. In effect they would help boost the economies.
I also think that this would bring new production of industry that could be attained in all areas of the world enriching the lives of anyone who lived within those societies.

There enough oil in the Gulf Of Mexico, and South America to power the entire
Eastern Hemisphere for the next 100 years. You cannot be serious.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 11:47:30 AM
At 10/23/2012 11:35:41 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Oil will economically crash. Granted that oil is very important for other materials, and it will take many years for the change to take place, but the fact of the matter is people will realise it'll be near worthless soon (or think so), and so the price will drop. Others will follow suit, and economic crash in the sector.

Economic crash would only happen if a new cash flow wasn't offered.

Doesn't human integrity to survive and inventive ingenuity almost guarantee this new economy?
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 11:48:57 AM
At 10/23/2012 11:38:20 AM, inferno wrote:
At 10/23/2012 10:35:19 AM, pozessed wrote:

There enough oil in the Gulf Of Mexico, and South America to power the entire
Eastern Hemisphere for the next 100 years.

Whats that have t do with the conversation?

You cannot be serious.
About what?