Jump to topic:

Big Bird and PBS

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 5:35:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For anyone against cutting PBS Stossel just posted a short article on it.
Some highlights.

"Sesame Street has assets of $355,858,257! Sesame Workshop makes $46M in licensing fees. The company is such a gold mine, it paid its recent president $929,629. Big Bird will do fine without taxpayer subsidies."

"63.7% of people below the poverty line have cable or satellite TV."

"Funding public broadcasting is welfare for rich people. PBS viewers are richer than average Americans."

http://www.foxbusiness.com...
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 9:11:25 PM
I am seeing lots of people report about $450 million in aid from the government, but I can't figure out where that number is on their income statement (page 8).
http://www-tc.pbs.org...

Their total revenue is $475 million for 2011. Any ideas on what I am missing?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 9:20:26 PM
As noted, Avius Maximus is worth a fortune as a commericial enterprise.

PBS as a whole gets only about 10% of their budget from the Feds. Over the years they have built up a large fund from contribution and charities, the income from which is the backbone of their finances. So long as they are running leftist propaganda from Bill Moyers and the like, they should not receive a dime of public money. They should stop taking public money voluntarily. Then they could go on record endorsing leftist causes without any silly pretense of being "educational."

The Discovery Channel, Science Channel, History Channel, and National Geographic have more educational material. PBS is not providing a needed service anymore.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 9:33:51 PM
At 10/24/2012 9:20:26 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The Discovery Channel, Science Channel, History Channel, and National Geographic have more educational material. PBS is not providing a needed service anymore.

To be fair that used to be the case, however now days the History channel and other channels like it do reality shows instead of educational broadcasting. I do like PBS for it's Documentaries and things like NOVA, they just don't need govt. funds to do it.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 9:40:51 PM
The history channel is complete trash now.
One day I started watching it and they were talking about Washington and I was like, ok this is actual history on the history channel, good deal. Then the show progressed for about five minutes and they got into his connection with the free masons and secret societies and I was like, oh no this kind of sucks, oh well I still might learn something, then after another ten minutes or so, I sht you not, it dove into the connection between free masonry and ancient aliens. Needless to say that was the end for me.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 9:50:58 PM
At 10/24/2012 9:40:51 PM, lewis20 wrote:
One day I started watching it and they were talking about Washington and I was like, ok this is actual history on the history channel, good deal. Then the show progressed for about five minutes and they got into his connection with the free masons and secret societies and I was like, oh no this kind of sucks, oh well I still might learn something, then after another ten minutes or so, I sht you not, it dove into the connection between free masonry and ancient aliens. Needless to say that was the end for me.

That's history for Geo.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 9:59:29 PM
At 10/24/2012 9:50:58 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

That's history for Geo.

lol, I think Geo's youtube channel actually has a bunch of videos ripped from History channel, giving his channel hundreds of thousands of views for copyright infringement.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 10:02:58 PM
I liked the History Channel better when they obsessed over Nazis.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 10:03:13 PM
At 10/24/2012 9:59:29 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 10/24/2012 9:50:58 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

That's history for Geo.

lol, I think Geo's youtube channel actually has a bunch of videos ripped from History channel, giving his channel hundreds of thousands of views for copyright infringement.

scratch that allegation, he did not steal from history channel. Just David Icke and Bill Maher.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 11:46:16 PM
At 10/24/2012 10:02:58 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I liked the History Channel better when they obsessed over Nazis.

Lol people used to refer to the History channel as 'the WW2 channel'. Remember when that was the biggest complaint? Those were the days...
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Chaos88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 12:28:14 AM
I found the discrepancy!!

PBS does not get money from the federal government, per se. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting gets the $445 million, and in turn gives SOME amount to PBS. Practically all funding for CPB is from the government, while about 87-90%, depending on news source, of PBS's funding is from non-federal government coffers.

http://www.cpb.org...

*looks around and realizes no one cares*
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 9:25:38 AM
At 10/24/2012 9:20:26 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
As noted, Avius Maximus is worth a fortune as a commericial enterprise.

PBS as a whole gets only about 10% of their budget from the Feds. Over the years they have built up a large fund from contribution and charities, the income from which is the backbone of their finances. So long as they are running leftist propaganda from Bill Moyers and the like, they should not receive a dime of public money. They should stop taking public money voluntarily. Then they could go on record endorsing leftist causes without any silly pretense of being "educational."

PBS ratings have gone up 15% over the past year thanks to shows like
Downton Abbey, and Upstairs Downstairs. And their documentaries are perhaps better than it has ever been since its inception. I think youre just bored with yourself kid. =)
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 9:27:03 AM

If you knew Freemasons like I do, and about aliens and the connection it has to our Government, then you would not be so jaded about these serious issues.
But let me tell you, when you think aliens, were not talking about green people with pointy ears. It seems you got a lot to learn about life son. Youre not even half way there.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 6:00:48 PM
At 10/25/2012 9:25:38 AM, inferno wrote:
Downton Abbey, and Upstairs Downstairs. And their documentaries are perhaps better than it has ever been since its inception. I think youre just bored with yourself kid. =)

So they are producing wonderful material that everyone likes to watch ... but they cannot survive without government support? Why not?

Are poor people watching Upstairs Downstairs and Downton Abbey? Not much. They are serving a rich elite. I used to be a member of the San Francisco PBS station. They put out a magazine for members. It was loaded with ads for ridiculously expensive jewelry and fashions. They were serving the redundantly rich. The point is that the public should not be subsidizing the rich.

Public television has many worthwhile programs. Ken Burns documentaries would never have a problem finding an outlet, nor the Big Bird and his money machine. Nor is it likely that they would have to. They can be self-supporting.

I like the History Channel reality shows better than their WWII period. The shows come down to explaining various antiques and bits of history. PBS Antique Roadshow is very much in that vein and has long been popular.

I don't object to the principle of the government providing educational services where they are genuinely needed. The best way to do that these days is via the internet. And no one needs Bill Moyers.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2012 6:23:48 PM
At 10/25/2012 6:00:48 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 10/25/2012 9:25:38 AM, inferno wrote:

So they are producing wonderful material that everyone likes to watch ... but they cannot survive without government support? Why not?

Are poor people watching Upstairs Downstairs and Downton Abbey? Not much. They are serving a rich elite. I used to be a member of the San Francisco PBS station. They put out a magazine for members. It was loaded with ads for ridiculously expensive jewelry and fashions. They were serving the redundantly rich. The point is that the public should not be subsidizing the rich.

Public television has many worthwhile programs. Ken Burns documentaries would never have a problem finding an outlet, nor the Big Bird and his money machine. Nor is it likely that they would have to. They can be self-supporting.

I like the History Channel reality shows better than their WWII period. The shows come down to explaining various antiques and bits of history. PBS Antique Roadshow is very much in that vein and has long been popular.

I don't object to the principle of the government providing educational services where they are genuinely needed. The best way to do that these days is via the internet. And no one needs Bill Moyers.

Great post. And PBS is not truly public, I don't believe I even get their channel.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan