Jump to topic:

Drug War: Huge Success

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 12:02:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The War on Drugs increased violence, increased crime, increased corruption, so politicians can have more power and more control over our lives. It was a smashing success! Finally an example of a government plan that succeeded in giving them everything they expected.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:17:24 AM
I made it 6:45 before I shut off in disgust.

Politicians used the war on drugs to garner votes, not money or corruptive power. Largely, I think the counter-culture of the 60's urged "adults" to take action over the "kids'" drug use. 1970 was when marijuana became a federal crime.

How does the drug war affect the 4th amendment? The police still need probable cause to search. This is why I couldn't stand him anymore; he was making asinine comments. Seizing property is not illegal, if it is the proceeds of criminal activity. Searching your car is not illegal, if they have probable cause. If police are abusing this power in specific instances, that is an issue, but don't cry foul because of the principle.

And, there is reason to believe this would work while prohibition failed (assuming you believe people learn from others' mistakes). The reason is because booze was widely used, whereas Mary Jane was not. Banning something popular is always going to have a negative result, but how popular was MJ in the 60's (outside the hippies)?

Plus, to my recollection, drinking was REALLY becoming a problem at the turn of the century (however that was defined); this is what started the temperance movement. After prohibition, drinking wasn't as big of an issue. So, it worked, but hardly worth the costs, and hardly the desired result.
My work here is, finally, done.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:34:45 AM
Alcohol is a drug, but not like meth.

I know 100/1 casual drinker/drunk. I know 1/1 casual meth user/meth addict.

And it is not like pot either. Kage made a great point, speak easies popped up every during prohibition because there were many casual drinkers out there. How many weed speak easies do you know of. I have studied up on local history a several speak easies popped up in little ole Colbert County Alabama. I have never been to a weed variant back when I I smoked everyday.

Even today alcohol sales are prohibited on Sunday in Colbert County and there are "bootleggers that supply the demand on any given Sunday. I drink, probably more then I should, but I have never been thirsty enough to go to the bootleggers around or drive to TN if I forget to grab a case on Saturday. And this is true for the overwhelming majority in this area.

Banning alcohol is like banning fatty foods, they are both very bad for you in excess but not like mind altering chemicals that take one dose to achieve the effect.

This guy is very biased.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 5:28:00 AM
At 11/2/2012 5:24:38 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Kage...
I sorta like it, but it blends into the text too easily.

IDK, I like it. Haha.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 11:15:03 AM
How does the drug war affect the 4th amendment? The police still need probable cause to search.

Doesn't matter, not hard to get "probable cause" when you can just scan for heat or drag a poorly trained K-9 to the doorstep, neither of which are considered "searches."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 11:43:29 AM
At 11/2/2012 11:15:03 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
How does the drug war affect the 4th amendment? The police still need probable cause to search.

Doesn't matter, not hard to get "probable cause" when you can just scan for heat or drag a poorly trained K-9 to the doorstep, neither of which are considered "searches."

The U.S. supreme court recently overturned a conviction where a thermal scan was used without a warrant.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Furthermore, why are the police on my property with a drug sniffing dog without a warrant? If they have business there, the dog shouldn't be there, as K-9 units are not sent out to notify next-of-kin, issue sepenas, or question witnesses/investigate (these are detectives).
If there was a warrant, a judge still needs to sign off, so there is likely more evidence than "the dog smelt something".
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 9:00:51 AM
At 11/3/2012 8:58:20 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Wwwaaaaaahhhhhh :'C

I'm assuming jats post had relevant arguments and was not based on a youtube featuring a babbling idiot. Just a personal observation.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 9:45:02 AM
. Drug war.

Lol, I was just reading the paper this morning.

Our local swat team just got a nearly brand new hummer donated to them by a visiting drug trafficker. See the war on drugs is profitable. Now our swat team has a new vehicle and it wasn't funded by tax payers pockets. Win win in my book.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 10:07:06 AM
At 11/3/2012 9:45:02 AM, jharry wrote:
. Drug war.

Our local swat team just got a nearly brand new hummer donated to them by a visiting drug trafficker. See the war on drugs is profitable. Now our swat team has a new vehicle and it wasn't funded by tax payers pockets. Win win in my book.

The swat team and other military police units are only exist because of the drug war or are being grown because of it. Our police is too militarized.

Also are those profits worth 1 trillion dollars we gave spent fighting 1% of the population?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 10:14:19 AM
At 11/3/2012 10:07:06 AM, 16kadams wrote:
. Drug war.

The swat team and other military police units are only exist because of the drug war or are being grown because of it. Our police is too militarized.

Also are those profits worth 1 trillion dollars we gave spent fighting 1% of the population?

Swat don't only deal with drugs.

Well in just this one case two patrol officers stopped the vehicle and made the arrest. What is there salary for the time they spend doing this? Couple hundred bucks maybe? The time it takes to process the paper work? 1000.00 is probably a high numbe

Triple that and we get roughly 3600.00. Let's round up to 4000.00.

Hummer in mint condition? 30-50k. Even a tahoe or suburban is 20-30k.

And I'm not sure what they will do with the 12k in cash the confiscated.

Seems like profit for my community.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 10:21:03 AM
At 11/3/2012 10:14:19 AM, jharry wrote:
. Drug war.

Well in just this one case two patrol officers stopped the vehicle and made the arrest. What is there salary for the time they spend doing this? Couple hundred bucks maybe? The time it takes to process the paper work? 1000.00 is probably a high numbe

We are spending $1billion a week in taxes on the drug war, and some pigs in your community get a new ride and you are happy.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 10:23:31 AM
. : At 11/3/2012 10:21:03 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
. Drug war.

We are spending $1billion a week in taxes on the drug war, and some pigs in your community get a new ride and you are happy.

I would have to see the numbers you are talking about. And at the small scale it seems to more than pay for itself.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 10:35:34 AM
. Drug war.

Could have just taxed it to begin with eh ? Cut out the middle man, people are gonna smoke either way.
My local sherrifs office has two humvees, completely unnecessary. The local police force here is a joke, they put out a calendar of themselves in swat gear and it's hilarious. They are all fat and out of shape, kid I knew shot himself in the foot on a raid while drawing his handgun. I'd have to imagine any actual action they were in would turn out like this.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 10:43:28 AM
. Drug war.

I am aware, but of the drug war didn't exist they would have a lot less power.

This year we spend 500$ a second on the drug war.
http://www.drugsense.org...

In the last 40 years we have spent 1 trillion dollars, 1/15th of our economy.
http://www.foxnews.com...

Is our country making more profit then 1 trillion dollars? Tell me, what's your logic here?
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 10:58:15 AM
At 11/3/2012 10:35:34 AM, lewis20 wrote:
. Drug war.

Could have just taxed it to begin with eh ? Cut out the middle man, people are gonna smoke either way.
My local sherrifs office has two humvees, completely unnecessary. The local police force here is a joke, they put out a calendar of themselves in swat gear and it's hilarious. They are all fat and out of shape, kid I knew shot himself in the foot on a raid while drawing his handgun. I'd have to imagine any actual action they were in would turn out like this.

Could cost the community twice that to deal with the effects of it being legal.

And lol, so true. Our local swat is a joke too. My family alone has more fire power then they do and could whip everyone of them in a fist fight. But that is irrelevant in this conversation.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 11:00:51 AM
At 11/3/2012 10:43:28 AM, 16kadams wrote:
. Drug war.

Is our country making more profit then 1 trillion dollars? Tell me, what's your logic here?

As I said, I would have to see the profit level. All you are showing me is the one sided cost. I explained earlier it did cost our community to bust that one drug trafficker but I should how the cost was low compared to what we gained.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 12:46:10 PM
At 11/3/2012 11:00:51 AM, jharry wrote:
. Drug war.

As I said, I would have to see the profit level. All you are showing me is the one sided cost. I explained earlier it did cost our community to bust that one drug trafficker but I should how the cost was low compared to what we gained.

Do the research yourself. You can't conclude the drug war is profitable.
http://www.drugwarfacts.org...
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 1:15:31 PM
At 11/3/2012 12:46:10 PM, 16kadams wrote:
. Drug war.

And again, I saw nothing about what we take in through confiscated property. That showed what is going out.

That is like me telling you how poor I am because I have a 1000.00 of expense each month. Unless I tell you that I bring in roughly 4000.00 a month you can not verify my claims.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 1:34:26 PM
At 11/3/2012 1:15:31 PM, jharry wrote:

And again, I saw nothing about what we take in through confiscated property. That showed what is going out.

That is like me telling you how poor I am because I have a 1000.00 of expense each month. Unless I tell you that I bring in roughly 4000.00 a month you can not verify my claims.

And I will add that providing education to the public costs x amount of money, but the benefit can out weigh the cost.

We could save x amount of dollars and maybe even make a profit if we put these kids to work.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 4:24:11 PM
At 11/3/2012 12:46:10 PM, 16kadams wrote:
. Drug war.

False. It is not 1/15th of our economy, is is closer to 1/560th ($1 trillion over 40 years of an average economy of $14 trillion)

This is, on average, $25 billion per year in expenses, nationwide. Between income taxes, confiscation, savings (like not having to buy confiscated bullets), and any multiplier effects, it could be profitable.