Jump to topic:

The biased right

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 10:07:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yup, that's right. The right is biased toward the right. The left is biased toward the left.

That is all.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 10:14:03 PM
I think he just figured it out.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 10:14:47 PM
At 11/3/2012 10:14:03 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
I think he just figured it out.

By 'it' I mean the greatest mystery of our time.

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 11:58:23 PM
At 11/3/2012 10:07:57 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Yup, that's right. The right is biased toward the right. The left is biased toward the left.

That is all.

Shhh, don't tell Mirza.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 12:45:19 AM
So what's a good site to get unbiased news? I thought CNN was good but then Mirza started yelling and I got all confused.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 12:47:13 AM
At 11/4/2012 12:45:19 AM, Maikuru wrote:
So what's a good site to get unbiased news? I thought CNN was good but then Mirza started yelling and I got all confused.

I don't think unbiased news exists.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 12:51:08 AM

Look at what CNN says. Look at what MSNBC says. Look at what Fox says.

Make your own opinion.

Better yet, always go to the source. If Fox says 'This study says X', then look at the study. Fox can't spin the source for you if you look at the source on its own.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 12:55:42 AM
At 11/4/2012 12:51:08 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Make your own opinion.

Better yet, always go to the source. If Fox says 'This study says X', then look at the study. Fox can't spin the source for you if you look at the source on its own.

Aww, man. I'm like a baby bird. I like my brain food partially digested before it reaches me.
- lamerde

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 12:57:01 AM
At 11/4/2012 12:55:42 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Make your own opinion.

Aww, man. I'm like a baby bird. I like my brain food partially digested before it reaches me.

Ok... Then it's easy.

Ask me, I'll tell you the answer.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 12:57:02 AM

Rasmussen Reports, if that counts as news.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 12:58:48 AM
I find nothing wrong with biased sources.

The problem is how many different sources you use. The more you use, the more they can cancel out each other's biases.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 12:59:07 AM
At 11/4/2012 12:58:48 AM, FREEDO wrote:

The problem is how many different sources you use. The more you use, the more they can cancel out each other's biases.

As long as they aren't all the same bias.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:04:34 AM

I agree with this. Plus you get to see an issue from different perspectives.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:13:14 AM
At 11/4/2012 1:04:34 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

I agree with this. Plus you get to see an issue from different perspectives.

I suppose the same, more or less, can be said of historical works, especially those of contrasting opinions or differential viewpoints.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:44:54 AM

Watch them all and when you have questions, just ask me.

Don't worry about bias, I will be completely objective whenever you need to know what an incompetent lying divisive nitwit President Obama has been.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:51:17 AM

Make your own opinion.

No problem, I can do that for you.

But onlly partially digested, if you ever want it completely digested so it's just pure crap, then you ask Ike.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 2:07:50 AM
At 11/4/2012 1:51:17 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

Make your own opinion.

No problem, I can do that for you.

But onlly partially digested, if you ever want it completely digested so it's just pure crap, then you ask Ike.

I wish I could sig this whole conversation.
- lamerde

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 7:35:14 AM

No CNN is very biased on everything except for economics. BBC world news is pretty good.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 7:54:11 AM
At 11/4/2012 7:35:14 AM, Frederick53 wrote:

No CNN is very biased on everything except for economics. BBC world news is pretty good.

What else is there? Foreign policy?...since Romney and Obama are exactly the same here, what have they to be be bias about? ....Social policy? The day that being pro-abortion, pro- equal pay for equal work makes you bias in America, is the day the rest of the first world really does look at some people in this country as genuine imbeciles.

We're not in the 1950s. These are nonissues.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:33:35 AM
At 11/4/2012 7:54:11 AM, 000ike wrote:

What else is there? Foreign policy?...since Romney and Obama are exactly the same here, what have they to be be bias about? ....Social policy? The day that being pro-abortion, pro- equal pay for equal work makes you bias in America, is the day the rest of the first world really does look at some people in this country as genuine imbeciles.

Yes they have a progressive bias on social issues and a neoconservative bias on foreign policy. I may agree with them on social issues, but they are still biased. And they are not non-issues because they are still issues being debated! I think that CNN may be right on social issues, but I still don't approve of their bias.

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:50:21 AM
At 11/4/2012 8:33:35 AM, Frederick53 wrote:

Yes they have a progressive bias on social issues and a neoconservative bias on foreign policy. I may agree with them on social issues, but they are still biased. And they are not non-issues because they are still issues being debated! I think that CNN may be right on social issues, but I still don't approve of their bias.

Is it also bias for CNN to favor the freedom, rather than enslavement of Blacks? Is it also bias for CNN to not support the imprisonment of gays? Is it also bias for CNN to favor religious tolerance?

Give me a break. Social issues passed a certain mark of importance transcend bias and level-headedness. It becomes an issue of ethics, justice, and fairness. It is flat-out BS and flat-out asinine to seriously say that CNN is bias on women's issues that concern their reproductive health and opportunities in the job market....simply because that word bias trivializes the issue, strips of the necessary gravitas as it applies to people's likes, and then connotes something negative. Just,...no.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
blameworthy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:53:34 AM
At 11/4/2012 8:33:35 AM, Frederick53 wrote:

I agree with Ike. Some issues ought to be beyond debate.

Moreover, even if issues are not being debated, biases are still prevalent. The United States is not debating about instituting Sharia Law, but CNN has a clear anti-US adoption of Sharia Law bias. CNN also has a clear anti-rape bias. Should we condemn it for those issues?

Some biases need to be present in order to have a fruitful discussion.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 8:56:59 AM
Ironically, Russia Today is pretty balanced.
Al-Jazeera and BBC also fall close to the unbiased category.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 9:01:22 AM
At 11/4/2012 8:53:34 AM, blameworthy wrote:

I disagree, I think even if an idea is far outside the mainstream it should be discussed. How many times in history has a big idea, that was deemed to be on the fringe, been proven correct?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
blameworthy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 9:14:14 AM
At 11/4/2012 9:01:22 AM, lewis20 wrote:

I disagree, I think even if an idea is far outside the mainstream it should be discussed. How many times in history has a big idea, that was deemed to be on the fringe, been proven correct?

So should we be discussing the enslavement of blacks and the justification for raping women right now? Some amount of dogma is necessary to have a functioning society. We cannot debate everything all the time, especially if it concerns the rights of others. Some things should not be open for debate.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 9:24:41 AM
At 11/4/2012 9:01:22 AM, lewis20 wrote:

That's not even what we're discussing. CNN invites anti-women's rights panelists to its shows....Frederick thinks CNN is just bias because it has a preexisting opinion on the matter. Which has to be the most ridiculous perception of bias I've ever heard.