Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

My review of the election

imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 4:30:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Im going to give my honest opinion on the entire election and do my best to try to show my perspective on this whole thing. This is my opinion over the whole thing and you dont have to agree with anything I post, im just giving my viewpoint over the whole thing.

1) Was this election Obama's to win or Mitt Romney's to lose?

No other president was re-elected with an economy this shaky ever before. Im not going to go into if the economy is doing better or not, im just jumping straight to the conclusion that its not where we thought it would be, or where we wanted it to be. Obama centered his 2008 campaign on the economy and healthcare, and he most likely got elected because people believed he would stay true to his word about fixing the economy. Now he fell short, by quite a bit, and he did spectacularly bad in trying to reign in deficit spending and the national debt, which is why I believe that this election was Mitt Romney's to lose. For those of you who dont know what that means, it means that in my opinion, this election would be won based on how well Mitt Romney would do, and that even if Obama did great, had Romney did great he would have easily won. Obama was facing an uphill battle whereas Romney only had to prove he would be better then Obama, a much easier task to do.

2) So if im correct that this election was Mitt Romney's to lose and not Obama's to win, then where did Romney go wrong?

Im going to start by saying that Mitt Romney was a semi-decent candidate. I can guarantee that he did much better in the election then Santorum or Bachmann would have done even though in the end Romney still fell short. Out of the Republicans who did run in the primaries, Romney was by far the best bet to beat Obama. That being said Romney still did have some shortfalls which I think was what ultimately cost him the election.

Heres where I think he went wrong

- 1 - Paul Ryan as his VP pick.

Now I have nothing absolutely nothing against Paul Ryan or against anyone who advocates being fiscally responsible, the issue that I think was what Made Paul Ryan the wrong choice for VP was the people he appealed to. Ryan is a fiscal conservative and a generic Republican in just about every way so he had the support of those who are fiscal conservatives. The problem is, Romney already had the support of those who were fiscally conservative. Obama in no way appealed to those who are fiscally conservative due to the national debt, so Romney already had them in the bag. But in my opinion Romney went wrong in picking Ryan as a VP because everyone Ryan appealed to were already people who would have voted for Romney. The point of a VP selection is to try to put a face on the presidential ballot who would appeal to MORE people then the presidential pick, and I dont think that Ryan did that. In 2008 McCain picked Palin as his running mate and immediately after he picked her, the woman vote had shifted to McCains favor in massive numbers. Later of course Palin proved to not be much good, but the point is that a VP pick is supposed to appeal to people the president did not appeal to, which is something Ryan failed to do. Had Romney picked Chris Christie or Marco Rubio, Romney would have gotten support from far more diverse groups of people who otherwise would have supported Obama. Instead he picked Paul Ryan, who had little appeal to people who already backed Romney, which I believe was his first mistake.

- 2 - The Republican party.

Now when I say the Republican party, I dont mean the entire party, just a few who have been in the headlines recently. Now as a Republican, Romney represents his entire party and their values, which towards the end of the election became a problem because some of the Republican party's more controversial values were dragged out into the light in the days immediately before the election. Todd Akin and Rupert Murdoch of course became infamous for their opinions and comments regarding abortion, which put them in a negative light, but it also put the Republican party in general in a bit of a negative light too. The Republican party in the final weeks of the election looked rather bad since almost every week a new GOP senator said something terrible about abortion, but they also received some flak for their ambitious attacks to fighting voter fraud. Voter fraud of course being a very large non-issue towards voters, and many of them saw their attacks towards limiting the right to vote as a desperate attempt to try to tip to the election in Romney's favor. This of course probably isnt true, but it didnt help that some Republicans did go on record saying that Voter ID laws would hand Romney the election. The republican party also received some flak from independent voters over their vicious demonizing of Obama's "You didnt build that" remarks, which I believe cost them some votes too.

The point is towards the final days before the election, Romney lost support over some undecided voters simply because of the shrewd actions that the Republican party and some of its more fringe members were caught doing. This of course is in no way Romney's fault and he shouldnt have to pay for it, but ultimately he did. This alone couldnt have caused him to lose the election outright, but it was one of the factors that caused him to lose for sure.

- 3 - Romney's gaffes and unpopular stances.

Mitt has had his share of screw-ups and instances where he should have kept his foot in his mouth. Im not talking about his etch-a-sketch issue, I mean gaffes that brought him a lot of negativity when he desperately didnt need any. His 47% remark of coursed pissed off quite a lot of people and is perhaps his most famous remark even though he later admitted he was completely wrong over that stance. He also caused himself some damage in a speech to black voters promised to repeal Obamacare in which he was booed, he went on record saying he wanted to get rid of planned parenthood and try to repeal Roe v Wade which im sure ticked off some woman voters (who vote more then men do) even if Romney began to distance himself form those comments as well. Romney alienated the wrong people at the wrong times which again, they alone wouldnt have cost him the election, but combined with everything else it did ultimately cost him.

- 4 - He was simply the wrong candidate to run against Obama.

In 2008, Romney lost to McCain who then lost to Obama, but Romney did put up quite a fight against McCain in the primary battle at first which means that McCain rose to the occasion to lead the party against the Party. McCain wasnt the only logical pick in the primaries because where the rest of his competition was unelectable, there were significant challengers who could have given Obama a run for his money as well. However in the 2012 primaries, Romney went up against competition who arguably were unelectable and could never have given Obama a run for his money. Santorum wanted to ban porn and had very conservative views that some people would consider fringe, Bachmann and Perry had very radical views against Gay Marriage and their intelligence alienated people also, Cain had to drop out because of a sex scandal and he could have given Romney a real run for his money, and Gingrich really didnt have much of a following to help him either since most of the more conservative states backed Santorum while the more liberal and independent states went to Romney. All of this shows to me that Romney wasnt necessarily a good candidate who stood out in his party and could lead, its that the rest of his competition was just so insane and unelectable that he was the only reasonable choice in the end.

Now theres nothing wrong with being a reasonable choice, but being reasonable doesnt win elections, being outstanding wins elections, and Romney wasnt the best Republican out there... In my opinion he was simply the last one standing at the end of the primary's, and therefor
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 4:30:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
And lastly - 5 - Some of Romney's and the Republican party's stances as a whole seem to be becoming outdated.

If you look into some of the state elections that occurred with the presidential election, you see signs that show that America is becoming more and more socially liberal. Colorado legalized Marijuana for recreational use along with Washington, Massachusetts legalized Marijuana for medical use while Minnesota preserved its laws regarding legalized medical Marijuana, Gay Marriage was legalized in Maine, Maryland, and Washington, and the first openly gay Senator was elected to the Senate. America is moving to become more socially liberal which is something that the Republican party has long been against and still continues to be against, and it is costing them support. There will always be people against Gay Marriage and Medical Marijuana use, but their numbers are shrinking while those in favor of both of those are growing. If the Republican party theoretically adopted all the same social values as the Democratic party, then the primary issues that would separate the two parties would be purely economic, which are the issues that Obama was the most vulnerable to in this election. I can understand valuing tradition and not being overly progressive, but in the end it is costing the Republican party, and by extension Romney, support which could have helped him win the election.

3) Romney had a bit of a hard time being 'likeable'.

Dont get me wrong, Romney was 'likeable' to a lot of Republicans (anyone whose gotten a thread from HistoryGenius recently knows what Im talking about), but I think that Romney wasnt as 'likeable' as Obama when it came down to more independent and undecided voters. I dont see how someone could simply improve their likeability, so Romney just may have been unlucky in being as likeable as Romney to younger voters, undecided voters, minority voters, etc. as Obama was, which I think played a very minor role overall but still pushed some people towards Obama instead of Romney.

Those are the reasons why I think the election ended up the way it did and what could have changed and given Romney the election. Now im just going to give my perspective on a few other things about the election in general that arent necessarily related to Obama or Romney.

4) The youth vote and the minority vote.

In 2008, there was a record turnout in the number of young voters and the number of hispanic, black, and other minority voters who overwhelmingly supported Obama over then challenger John McCain. Now I heard a lot in the forums on here and in the media in general that Obama would be screwed because the amount of minority voters would return back to their pre-2008 levels. But the surprising thing is that they didnt. From what I saw on CNN, the number of youth voters, hispanic voters, and black voters is just about the same, which I think implies that this surge in voter turnout isnt just a fad and may be here to stay. This could be bad news for the Republican party both now and in the future because minorities almost always lean Democrat, and if the Republican party is to continue to make runs for the presidency, theyre going to have to appeal to these minorities with their platform otherwise their road to the White House grows harder and harder.

5) The media

Now the media has been very critical of Romney during this campaign, at least more then they have been critical of Obama. The media went after Romney for him not releasing his tax returns, the 47% remarks, his history at Bain Capital, his apparent flip-flopping, and a host of other qualities that probably played a big part in making him not as likeable as Obama. Obama's biggest criticism from the media was his screwup in handling the Bengazi attacks or anything related to the health of the economy, but you heard a lot more criticism of Romney then you heard of Obama. Now many people claim this is the liberal bias of the media, and looking at MSNBC those people might be right, but that doesnt mean the media cannot be won. The media completely fell in love with Reagan during his 8 year presidency, they werent very kind to Bob Dole, John Kerry and Michael Dukakis were shat on quite a bit by the media, and towards the end of 2008 Bush received all kinds of hell. My point is, the media can be very critical towards both parties, and yes they have gone on a bit of a democratic streak since at least 2004, but the media can still be won over. And in the future candidates will have to win over the media too because the media plays a very powerful role in making or breaking candidates, campaigns, and even entire parties.

6) Former presidents

Bill Clinton campaigned pretty heavily for Obama this election, he also played a role in the primaries in 2004 trying to get his wife elected, and he even showed up to support Kerry back in the 2004 election. Former presidents, especially popular ones, can have a very powerful impact in bringing swing voters over to a candidate from their own party. This is a luxury that the Democratic party enjoys but the Republican party does not have. Bush is of course hated, Reagan is dead (God rest his soul) and really the Republican party doesnt have many nation-wide famous politicians to campaign for them. Chris Christie of New Jersey helped Romney quite a bit, but most people dont know much about him and his fame is no where near that of Bill Clintons. The fact is that the Republican party doesnt have idols form the glory days of the golden age to help them get candidates elected whereas the Democratic party does, and that is something that can play a big role in presidential elections for a while.

7) Obama is on his own now.

Obama blamed most of the poor state of the economy on his predecessor Bush, and according to exit polls most people agree that Bush is more at fault then Obama. Now whether you agree with this or not and whether or not this is the truth or not isnt the issue. The issue is that now, Obama cant blame Bush anymore for the short-fallings of the economy, he is entirely on his own and entirely to blame if more sh*t happens. Republicans and conservatives alike can now blame Obama for the state of the economy anytime in the next four years, and Obama wont be able to blame Bush anymore because Republicans and Democrats alike wont buy it anymore (at least I wont).

8) The 2016 election.

In 2016, neither party will be out to pick a candidate who would have the best odds of beating the incumbent, in 2016 both parties will be picking the candidates they truly believe best represents them and their beliefs. This excites me because this is what happened in 2008, and I was a fan of McCain quite a bit. I was a fan of Obama more but I was a fan of McCain because to me he wasnt a generic Republican candidate, he represented what the Republican party was evolving into because he had some different stances on issues that most Republicans didnt hold. This election in 2012 I didnt see the same Republican party, to me the Republicans were putting ahold on progressing forward and instead changed itself to try to do anything it could to take Obama out of office, in the process losing much of its appeal it had on me. In 2016 though I think the Republican party will be stronger then ever, it will have progressed more, evolved more, and be more appealing to other people and me.

And the weird part is, I look forward to a stronger Republican party in 2016. I want to see how the Republican party changes for the better in the future (and I have a feeling they will) and I would like to see someone challenge the Democratic part on some of their bullsh*t that I dont agree with. People say that this election is the most important one, I believe it will be the next one, because the next election will show how much each party has evolved and changed rather then cling to their more partisan values like they have before.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 6:01:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think that this is a sign that no matter how popular your economic policy is, it is no longer plausible to run on such outdated social policy.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 6:32:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Fantastic analysis, imabench!
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 7:15:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I do have to agree the Republican has picked the worst possible candidates they could find for the last two elections.

It's all most like they are doing it on purpose.

I might need to stop ignoring Geos threads and posts, he may be onto something.lol
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
emj32
Posts: 111
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 8:06:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. I actually disagree with your statement that this was Romney's to lose. If you look at the polls (which almost exactly predicted the election) they had Obama winning the whole time since the Republican primaries ended. Besides that first debate debacle, Obama was in the driver's seat the whole election.

2. Romney is an good politician, but his campaign is what cost him this election. His campaign wasn't even close to the level Bush's was.

-1- Personally, I think Ryan only appealed to the population that was already going to vote for Romney. I'm not sure what you're saying when you say Ryan didn't appeal to conservatives. Fox News loved the move. Most conservatives loved the move. The huge problem was that he only appealed to people already voting for Romney. Although Palin turned off a lot of people back in '08, she picked up a lot of women votes for McCain. This election, Ryan didn't have alot of liability among independents and undecided voters.

-2- The Republican Party (like you said, not all of them, some of them) did an absolutely horrible job this election. How Romney's campaign let the 47 percent video leak is beyond me, but that drastically hurt his reputation. Akin, Murdoch, and those other republicans so brilliantly commenting about rape lost their seats. Republicans wanting to implement Voter ID laws, wanting 'self deportation', the law that lets police stop random people and ask for photo ID, etc. really hurt their credibility with Latinos. *Side note Romney received less of the Latino vote then McCain did, that cannot continue to happen*. Republicans couldn't of done a worse job with women: telling them they can't receive birth control, restricting their own reproductive rights, not backing equal pay, 'binders of women', etc. Obviously blacks didn't vote Republican not just because Obama is black, honestly. Don't get me wrong that's a huge part of it, but overall Republicans have showed subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, racism towards African-Americans.

Overall this election, the only group of people that Romney won were old white men. The Republican party cannot run their party with such outdated social issues, it will not work.

-3- Pretty much .. yea. This goes back to #2 that Republicans are just inherently out of touch with reality, and today's social issues. Their economic records aren't the reasons Romney lost. It was because he alienated everybody who wasn't a white male.

-4- This really explains why he lost in my opinion. His own party didn't even like him to begin with. He only advanced because his primary opponents, who we're wildly radical, sucked. Romney wasn't the true ideal candidate for Republicans, he was just the only one electable. The fact that the rest of the Republican primary candidates were more unlikable and extreme than Romney means something is very very wrong in that party's platform.

-5- 'Some' of their stances? Their entire social platform is wildly out of touch with America. Gay Marriage is increasingly acceptable, Marijuana is polling at record approval rates, most people want abortion legal in cases of rape, incest, or health of mother. Like I said earlier, Republicans cannot keep running on this social platform, it will only get worse.

3) This was also a very large part in his defeat. If you look back at the past two candidates: Bush was the kind of guy you could use the hypothetical "sit down and have a beer with". He was just overall a likable guy. McCain was a war hero, survived years of torture in the Vietnam war, was well respected by the American people. Romney....nothing. You could say 'businessman', but if anything nobody likes a slimy, shady businessman. Romney was a born rich, out of touch, seemingly racist candidate. Like I said, Romney only appeals to older white men. Republicans cannot keep running on losing every single minority party and women.

4) The voter outcome for young voters was very positive for Democrats. Also, minorities also headed to the polls more than they did last year. Very good sign for President Obama and future Democrat candidates.

5 The media being 'pro Obama' was probably directed related to Romney's poorly run campaign. Also, Fox News has an absolutely huge impact on other stations. If other stations, for example, said Romney won an election, they wouldn't be accused of bias. However, if another station would say Obama won, Fox would cry bias and would force them to change it. This has happened before, I'm not making it up. The media issue isn't as big as you think. If anything, Fox could have done more to help Romney.

7) This was obviously beneficial to President Obama. Comparing Romney to Bush really hurt Romney. The people didn't want another Bush, and comparing the two cast doubt within the Independent voters. Having Clinton, a very popular president backing Obama, gave him a huge push. Also, having Clinton say "nobody, not even me, could of fixed that economy within 4 years" gave voters confidence in Obama.

P.S. Thank God Allen West lost...I couldn't stand this guy. I'm pretty sure he was mentally unstable, and was wildly extreme, and I'm glad he's finally out of office.
P.S.S. As a former WWE fan, seeing Linda McMahon losing made me laugh a little.
P.S.S.S. If i had to choose the main reason Romney lost, i would have to pick: Republicans are too socially outdated and out of touch with America.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 8:24:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
He got elected because he was black and pandered to those damn minorities. That's it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
blameworthy
Posts: 431
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 8:28:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 8:24:21 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
He got elected because he was black and pandered to those damn minorities. That's it.

1. He loses votes because he is black.

2. Minorities do not have enough power to eliminate the white electorate, especially since they are not politically homogenous.
blameworthy
Posts: 431
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 8:28:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 8:24:21 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
He got elected because he was black and pandered to those damn minorities. That's it.

Nobody wins a landslide election because he panders to minorities.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 8:37:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 8:28:31 AM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:24:21 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
He got elected because he was black and pandered to those damn minorities. That's it.

1. He loses votes because he is black.

In 2008, black vote increased by the power to boost 2% in national polls.

In 2004, 88% of blacks voted for Kerry. In 2008, 95% of blacks voted for Obama.

In 2004, 41% of whites voted for Kerry. In 2008, 43% percent of whites voted for Obama.

In 2004, 53% of Hispanics voted for Kerry. In 2008, 67% of Hispanics voted for Obama.

In 2008, 56% of young voters voted for Kerry. In 2008, 66% of young voters voted for Obama. These are people who have no political experience and are voting based on peer pressure and no significant economic reason.

Facts are a b!tch.

http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu...
http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu...

2. Minorities do not have enough power to eliminate the white electorate, especially since they are not politically homogenous.

When the race is as close as one or two points in some key states, minorities definitely have this ability.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
blameworthy
Posts: 431
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 8:44:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 8:37:56 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:28:31 AM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:24:21 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
He got elected because he was black and pandered to those damn minorities. That's it.

1. He loses votes because he is black.

In 2008, black vote increased by the power to boost 2% in national polls.

In 2004, 88% of blacks voted for Kerry. In 2008, 95% of blacks voted for Obama.

In 2004, 41% of whites voted for Kerry. In 2008, 43% percent of whites voted for Obama.

In 2004, 53% of Hispanics voted for Kerry. In 2008, 67% of Hispanics voted for Obama.

In 2008, 56% of young voters voted for Kerry. In 2008, 66% of young voters voted for Obama. These are people who have no political experience and are voting based on peer pressure and no significant economic reason.

Facts are a b!tch.

Yes, because minorities and youngsters only vote on race. They do not vote on vision. They do not tend to be leftist and vote on leftists ideas.

John Kerry did not support Universal Healthcare. John Kerry did not promise to shut down Gitmo. John Kerry did not promise to end Don't Ask Don't Tell. John Kerry did not care about gays. John Kerry did not care about women. John Kerry was not a socialist.

Facts are an @ss for people like you. A Harvard University political scientist discovered that Obama lost a net 2% of the vote due to his race. That is equivalent to a home state advantage for John McCain, and McSame still lost in a landslide.

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu...

http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu...
http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu...

2. Minorities do not have enough power to eliminate the white electorate, especially since they are not politically homogenous.

When the race is as close as one or two points in some key states, minorities definitely have this ability.

Minorities are not politically homogenous, and you are being deliberately idiotic. The "close race" includes the minority vote in its tabs. The polls do not measure the white vote only when they determine how close the elections in each state will be.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 8:59:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's almost certain the 2016 election will go to a Republican. I'm just curious to find out who the Party chooses.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
blameworthy
Posts: 431
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:04:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 8:59:39 AM, socialpinko wrote:
It's almost certain the 2016 election will go to a Republican. I'm just curious to find out who the Party chooses.

False. We can arrest the GOP House, declare a one-party state, and work towards a brighter future.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:06:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 8:44:18 AM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:37:56 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:28:31 AM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:24:21 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
He got elected because he was black and pandered to those damn minorities. That's it.

1. He loses votes because he is black.

In 2008, black vote increased by the power to boost 2% in national polls.

In 2004, 88% of blacks voted for Kerry. In 2008, 95% of blacks voted for Obama.

In 2004, 41% of whites voted for Kerry. In 2008, 43% percent of whites voted for Obama.

In 2004, 53% of Hispanics voted for Kerry. In 2008, 67% of Hispanics voted for Obama.

In 2008, 56% of young voters voted for Kerry. In 2008, 66% of young voters voted for Obama. These are people who have no political experience and are voting based on peer pressure and no significant economic reason.

Facts are a b!tch.

Yes, because minorities and youngsters only vote on race. They do not vote on vision. They do not tend to be leftist and vote on leftists ideas.

If you deny that black people voted for Obama because he was black, then that is just being completely disingenuous and you can consider this discussion over. I don't pander to moronic idiots.

John Kerry did not support Universal Healthcare. John Kerry did not promise to shut down Gitmo. John Kerry did not promise to end Don't Ask Don't Tell. John Kerry did not care about gays. John Kerry did not care about women. John Kerry was not a socialist.

Socialism is not a popular idea in the United States, which proves that few people looked at Obama's economic ideas. Most blacks and young people don't even know what socialism is.

Facts are an @ss for people like you. A Harvard University political scientist discovered that Obama lost a net 2% of the vote due to his race. That is equivalent to a home state advantage for John McCain, and McSame still lost in a landslide.

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu...

Except that Obama gained BOTH the BLACK and the WHITE vote. I don't really see how you can twist that into him losing votes.

Anyways, if somebody from Harvard said that Obama won because he was black, he would be fired. People are actively scourging for "racism."


http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu...
http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu...

2. Minorities do not have enough power to eliminate the white electorate, especially since they are not politically homogenous.

When the race is as close as one or two points in some key states, minorities definitely have this ability.

Minorities are not politically homogenous, and you are being deliberately idiotic. The "close race" includes the minority vote in its tabs. The polls do not measure the white vote only when they determine how close the elections in each state will be.

What do you mean by "homogenous?" Droves of blacks and young voters came out to vote for Obama in 2008 and that process repeated yesterday.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:07:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:04:17 AM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:59:39 AM, socialpinko wrote:
It's almost certain the 2016 election will go to a Republican. I'm just curious to find out who the Party chooses.

False. We can arrest the GOP House, declare a one-party state, and work towards a brighter future.

Oh, IMABENCH!
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:07:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Depending on where the economy goes, the republicans might win next time.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:13:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:04:17 AM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:59:39 AM, socialpinko wrote:
It's almost certain the 2016 election will go to a Republican. I'm just curious to find out who the Party chooses.

False. We can arrest the GOP House, declare a one-party state, and work towards a brighter future.

Who is this guy?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:07:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:07:00 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:04:17 AM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:59:39 AM, socialpinko wrote:
It's almost certain the 2016 election will go to a Republican. I'm just curious to find out who the Party chooses.

False. We can arrest the GOP House, declare a one-party state, and work towards a brighter future.

Oh, IMABENCH!

I got it I got it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:07:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:13:34 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:04:17 AM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:59:39 AM, socialpinko wrote:
It's almost certain the 2016 election will go to a Republican. I'm just curious to find out who the Party chooses.

False. We can arrest the GOP House, declare a one-party state, and work towards a brighter future.

Who is this guy?

Hes the best thing to happen to the weekly stupid since ScottyDouglas
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:35:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 8:28:53 AM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:24:21 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
He got elected because he was black and pandered to those damn minorities. That's it.

Nobody wins a landslide election because he panders to minorities.

Yes they do. How much of the actual voting actually matters? Most doesn't. Texas will go Republican and California goes democrat, similar to most areas. The aim is purely getting the swings, not majority vote.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:37:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 10:35:26 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:28:53 AM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 8:24:21 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
He got elected because he was black and pandered to those damn minorities. That's it.

Nobody wins a landslide election because he panders to minorities.

Yes they do. How much of the actual voting actually matters? Most doesn't. Texas will go Republican and California goes democrat, similar to most areas. The aim is purely getting the swings, not majority vote.

What makes you think that your vote mattered. Newsflash..........Elections are not decided by votes. Obama was already chosen to be a two term President.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 3:51:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 8:59:39 AM, socialpinko wrote:
It's almost certain the 2016 election will go to a Republican. I'm just curious to find out who the Party chooses.

who are trying to convince with this statement? You're 4 years behind knowing anything about the 2016 political dynamic. Maybe you're in defense and just need something to fill in the void.... Either way, baseless comment is a baseless comment.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 4:13:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I would have loved to see Cain be the candidate simply because:
1. He's black and there'd be lots of jokes to make about Republicans.
2. Herman Cain is actually a hilarious guy. His ads show this. He launched a bunny from a catapult and shot it with a shotgun to represent the economy.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 9:10:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://news.yahoo.com...

Looks like Republicans have already gotten to work adjusting some of their more unpopular stances, on this one Hannity actually advocates for a pathway for illegal immigrants already in the US to become legal, and Boehner sounds like hes agreeing with such a stance even though two years ago he advocated for abolishing birthright citizenship.

2016 is going to kick some a**
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 10:45:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 8:59:39 AM, socialpinko wrote:
It's almost certain the 2016 election will go to a Republican. I'm just curious to find out who the Party chooses.

Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, the Virginia governor, and Paul Ryan all seem like likely possibilities, my pick would be the first two. And they are moderate on social issues, and have other good traits, so that would be great for the Republicans.

I'm afraid that the Democrats will pick Hillary Clinton, which would destroy the GOP with the female vote. Santorum better not try in 2016, same with other social conservative-reactionaries.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan