Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do Americans Want Socialism

medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:25:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Socialism in small doses is okay, that's what Obama is bringing to the table, Socialism in small doses.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:26:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:25:23 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
Socialism in small doses is okay, that's what Obama is bringing to the table, Socialism in small doses.

I just, can't respond to this.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
blameworthy
Posts: 431
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:29:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:26:06 PM, Contra wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:25:23 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
Socialism in small doses is okay, that's what Obama is bringing to the table, Socialism in small doses.

I just, can't respond to this.

You know what? I now favor abolishing all social programs. It's time for people to learn the same lesson that King Louis of France did. Please abolish all social programs, repeal the 13th Amendment, sell us to corporations as slaves, and tell us to eat cake. Please do it. The experiment of welfare capitalism must end.
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:29:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:26:06 PM, Contra wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:25:23 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
Socialism in small doses is okay, that's what Obama is bringing to the table, Socialism in small doses.

I just, can't respond to this.

Lol
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:34:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:25:23 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
Socialism in small doses is okay, that's what Obama is bringing to the table, Socialism in small doses.

This reminds me of an interesting comment by Lawrence O'Donnell. He said,

"Not that we choose the socialist option every time but we do consider socialism a reasonable option under certain circumstances; in fact, under many circumstances. As any introductory economics course can tell you, there is no capitalist economy anywhere in the world, and there is no socialist economy anywhere in the world, not even Cuba. We are all mixed economies; that is, mixes of capitalism and socialism, and we all vary that mix in different ways. China has more capitalism, and a lot more capitalism, than has Cuba, but it also has a lot more socialism than we [the United States] do. Our socialist programs include the biggest government spending programs: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, as well as welfare, and the socialist program I hate the most, agriculture subsidies. Yes, I'm a socialist, but I hate bad socialism, and there is plenty of bad socialism out there, just like there is plenty of bad capitalism out there, like the capitalism that pollutes our rivers or makes health care too expensive for so many people. I can argue this because every side of this is true: capitalism is good, capitalism is bad; socialism is good, socialism is bad; all of those things are true at the same time. That's why we have a mixed economy, an economy in which we are trying to use the best, most efficient forms of capitalism, and the best, most efficient forms of socialism, where necessary. So my full truth is I am as much a capitalist as I am a socialist; but since we live in the only mature country in the world where "socialist" is considered such a dirty word that no one would dare admit to being one, I feel more compelled to stand up for the socialist side of me than the capitalist side of me" (http://en.wikipedia.org...'Donnell )
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:38:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It is sooo lame how people label adding a new government program as "socialism" and we are now socialist. If China privatizes something is does that make them "capitalist"?
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:40:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
blameworthy
Posts: 431
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:49:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.

LMAO. When wealth and good jobs get redistributed to C and D grade sons of elite who go to Yale because daddy donated a library or is the President, are we rewarding success and hard work?
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:51:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.

Beware of the greed which masks itself under the moniker of economic freedom. So long as human beings live in a collectivist community where the success of one is so intimately dependent on the work of others, freedom isn't the only virtue in need of protection. We are not barbarians. We cannot sit back and let people die because they can't afford proper medical care, or struggle because they were born in and went on to live disadvantaged lives....because the powers that created this unnatural inequality in the first place did nothing to allay its consequences.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Posts: 14,373
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:52:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:49:37 PM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.

LMAO. When wealth and good jobs get redistributed to C and D grade sons of elite who go to Yale because daddy donated a library or is the President, are we rewarding success and hard work?

This isn't a coherent thought, much less an argument
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
blameworthy
Posts: 431
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:53:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:52:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:49:37 PM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.

LMAO. When wealth and good jobs get redistributed to C and D grade sons of elite who go to Yale because daddy donated a library or is the President, are we rewarding success and hard work?

This isn't a coherent thought, much less an argument

Nope. It's good trolling though :p
thett3
Posts: 14,373
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:54:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:51:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises
We cannot sit back and let people die because they can't afford proper medical care, or struggle because they were born in and went on to live disadvantaged lives

Why exactly not? For a moral relativist you sure do make a ton of ethical claims.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,373
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:54:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:53:58 PM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:52:01 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:49:37 PM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.

LMAO. When wealth and good jobs get redistributed to C and D grade sons of elite who go to Yale because daddy donated a library or is the President, are we rewarding success and hard work?

This isn't a coherent thought, much less an argument


Nope. It's good trolling though :p

trollface
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
slo1
Posts: 4,359
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:56:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
LOL...my goodness. Conservatives go get drunk, shake it off and get back up on the horse. You can still "work hard", be successful, and have a well above normal life compared to the rest of the world. Even if Obama gets his full tax increase passed, it is still historically low when compared to the last century.... stop being so melodramatic and save the drama for the mamma.

I will say ironically, that the conservatives once again are missing the boat on this loss. It is quite simple. Let's use the hispanic vote. They didn't vote overwhelming for Obama because they are lazy and want to get "free" handouts. It is simple. They don't want to be stopped without cause and assumed to be illegal because of their ethnicity.

They don't want to support policy that splits up families to chase a pipe dream to deport 12 million illegal aliens. Especially when there are simple ways to eliminate illegal immigration by creating a laborer visa program and filling jobs traditionally held by illegals with someone who is documented and legal. Who is going to come here illegally when there is no job?

The only people who want to vote for the conservative candidates are white guys. Stop being so boneheaded thinking there is only one solution to a problem and find a solution that works.

My goodness if there was any group I thought would understand the process to solve illegal immigration via free market principles rather than brute force law enforcement, I thought it may be conservatives who talk about free markets all the time. Sadly I was wrong. This is just one of many examples of how bonehead policies and unwillingness to explore alternative solutions makes the party appear racist.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:01:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:54:06 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:51:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises
We cannot sit back and let people die because they can't afford proper medical care, or struggle because they were born in and went on to live disadvantaged lives

Why exactly not? For a moral relativist you sure do make a ton of ethical claims.

My view on ethics is complicated. It doesn't just end at "ethics are relative"..... Relativity implies a basis of comparison that must have originated from somewhere. Where there is a preestablished predicate of values mutually agreed upon by both arguing parties, a correct course of action can be determined against that standard. I believe that some semblance of a standard is establish in common humanity or common culture. And so with that, I can coherently propound ideas on what we "should and should not" do, the subjectivity of the claim notwithstanding.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:04:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:51:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.

Beware of the greed which masks itself under the moniker of economic freedom. So long as human beings live in a collectivist community where the success of one is so intimately dependent on the work of others, freedom isn't the only virtue in need of protection. We are not barbarians. We cannot sit back and let people die because they can't afford proper medical care, or struggle because they were born in and went on to live disadvantaged lives....because the powers that created this unnatural inequality in the first place did nothing to allay its consequences.

Nobody is arguing with you about that, buddy. People are arguing with you about how to do that.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Posts: 14,373
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:06:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 10:01:15 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:54:06 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:51:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises
We cannot sit back and let people die because they can't afford proper medical care, or struggle because they were born in and went on to live disadvantaged lives

Why exactly not? For a moral relativist you sure do make a ton of ethical claims.

My view on ethics is complicated. It doesn't just end at "ethics are relative"..... Relativity implies a basis of comparison that must have originated from somewhere. Where there is a preestablished predicate of values mutually agreed upon by both arguing parties, a correct course of action can be determined against that standard.

Sure, sure thats a good way to look at it, but the thing is what if I don't already agree to your preestablished predicate? Like, I'm not sure what you think the government should do/uphold, but its a safe assumption that you don't put property rights at the forefront like I do, so what makes your standard any more desirable than mine?

I believe that some semblance of a standard is establish in common humanity or common culture.

Even if you could prove that a cultural standard exists what exactly does that do to prove that it should be implemented in national policy? Like, every region/state has a different culture you know

And so with that, I can coherently propound ideas on what we "should and should not" do, the subjectivity of the claim notwithstanding.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:07:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:34:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:25:23 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
Socialism in small doses is okay, that's what Obama is bringing to the table, Socialism in small doses.

I disagree with this, and Ike deserves to get rebutted before I have to hide in shame with whatever stuff he will bring up for our election bet.

This reminds me of an interesting comment by Lawrence O'Donnell. He said,

"Not that we choose the socialist option every time but we do consider socialism a reasonable option under certain circumstances; in fact, under many circumstances. As any introductory economics course can tell you, there is no capitalist economy anywhere in the world, and there is no socialist economy anywhere in the world, not even Cuba. We are all mixed economies; that is, mixes of capitalism and socialism, and we all vary that mix in different ways. China has more capitalism, and a lot more capitalism, than has Cuba, but it also has a lot more socialism than we [the United States] do.

I guess, but many countries can lead one way or another. Hong Kong leads heavily Capitalist, Cuba leans heavily Socialist for example.

Our socialist programs include the biggest government spending programs: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, as well as welfare, and the socialist program I hate the most, agriculture subsidies.

I hate all of the above. Private accounts for Social Security would enhance personal liberty, YOU decide what your money goes towards. YOU would have a high likelihood of retiring securely with safe investments you can pass to your kids. For Medicare, divert some of your money from your investments that you made in your working life. Or, if you are skittish, just invest in conservative stocks or corporate bonds, still higher returns that social security. Welfare encourages dependence and drains the economy of fuel. Medicaid may have good intents, but this gov't intervention just raises the costs of healthcare. A free market in health care would lower costs and allow more people to get care, for example, health care regulations have a net harm of $169 billion, or more than $2000 per family.

Yes, I'm a socialist,

HE ADMITS IT. I thought he was a liberal. Not too different then aye?

but I hate bad socialism, and there is plenty of bad socialism out there,

True

just like there is plenty of bad capitalism out there, like the capitalism that pollutes our rivers or makes health care too expensive for so many people.

I provided just some evidence that gov't reduces access to health care above. Also these health care regulations result in the deaths of 22,000 people annually from a lack of care. FDA processes slows down R&D, and increases costs (lowering the amount of people able to get it), and prevent the release of drugs, which leads to the death of 50,000 annually, just because this service is not provided by the marketplace.

Capitalism involves property rights. We have had Capitalism without property rights, i.e. an imperfect market economy. In theory, negative externalities would be taxed so that other taxes could be lowered (if existent, which I believe some low taxes have to be). Regarding property rights though, if John's factory pollutes, it harms your property, and thus your town could sue him for X amount of cash, and these tort payments harm his business, the market would incentivize him investing in cleaner forms of energy without gov't coercion and special interests.

I can argue this because every side of this is true: capitalism is good,

Yes

capitalism is bad;

Disproved

socialism is good, socialism is bad; all of those things are true at the same time.

Socialism is rarely good. Maybe in a gov't that protects life, liberty, and property, but that is very limited "socialism".

That's why we have a mixed economy, an economy in which we are trying to use the best, most efficient forms of capitalism, and the best, most efficient forms of socialism, where necessary.

No, we have a mixed economy because special interests lobby for tens upon tens of thousands of pages of regulations to hamper competition, taxes from politicians to make us dependent on them so they get reelected, and these taxes go to special interests (including welfare hogs), who are then guaranteed to vote for the politician who supports these things in the first place.

And taxing businesses reduces the return on investments, which lowers growth and consequently makes the whole economy less efficient. Bailouts and stimulus spending also make the economy less efficient.

So my full truth is I am as much a capitalist as I am a socialist; but since we live in the only mature country in the world where "socialist" is considered such a dirty word that no one would dare admit to being one, I feel more compelled to stand up for the socialist side of me than the capitalist side of me"

That's regulated Capitalism. Compare it to stomping on blossoming flowers.(http://en.wikipedia.org...'Donnell )
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:14:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 10:06:52 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 10:01:15 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:54:06 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:51:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises
We cannot sit back and let people die because they can't afford proper medical care, or struggle because they were born in and went on to live disadvantaged lives

Why exactly not? For a moral relativist you sure do make a ton of ethical claims.

My view on ethics is complicated. It doesn't just end at "ethics are relative"..... Relativity implies a basis of comparison that must have originated from somewhere. Where there is a preestablished predicate of values mutually agreed upon by both arguing parties, a correct course of action can be determined against that standard.

Sure, sure thats a good way to look at it, but the thing is what if I don't already agree to your preestablished predicate? Like, I'm not sure what you think the government should do/uphold, but its a safe assumption that you don't put property rights at the forefront like I do, so what makes your standard any more desirable than mine?

All that would do is prevent any kind of coherent debate. If we can't agree on a moral predicate then it's left to whoever can enforce his opinions regardless....but this is almost never the case. It is ingrained in human psychology that we should value liberty, fairness, and justice for instance, in the most intuitive sense of those words. Our debate then revolves around how the proposed ideas serve those purposes.

The point of this whole explanation is that just because I am a moral relativist does not mean I can't coherently express any moral opinion, or treat that opinion as universally justifiable...if I feel that my opponent also agrees with the predicate it serves...like fairness, in the case of many liberal policies. In itself, I doubt you don't care about fairness.

I believe that some semblance of a standard is establish in common humanity or common culture.

Even if you could prove that a cultural standard exists what exactly does that do to prove that it should be implemented in national policy? Like, every region/state has a different culture you know

And so with that, I can coherently propound ideas on what we "should and should not" do, the subjectivity of the claim notwithstanding.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Posts: 14,373
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:23:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 10:14:22 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 10:06:52 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 10:01:15 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:54:06 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:51:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises
We cannot sit back and let people die because they can't afford proper medical care, or struggle because they were born in and went on to live disadvantaged lives

Why exactly not? For a moral relativist you sure do make a ton of ethical claims.

My view on ethics is complicated. It doesn't just end at "ethics are relative"..... Relativity implies a basis of comparison that must have originated from somewhere. Where there is a preestablished predicate of values mutually agreed upon by both arguing parties, a correct course of action can be determined against that standard.

Sure, sure thats a good way to look at it, but the thing is what if I don't already agree to your preestablished predicate? Like, I'm not sure what you think the government should do/uphold, but its a safe assumption that you don't put property rights at the forefront like I do, so what makes your standard any more desirable than mine?

All that would do is prevent any kind of coherent debate. If we can't agree on a moral predicate then it's left to whoever can enforce his opinions regardless....but this is almost never the case. It is ingrained in human psychology that we should value liberty, fairness, and justice for instance,

Ok, no just no. People are naturally selfish.

in the most intuitive sense of those words. Our debate then revolves around how the proposed ideas serve those purposes.

So you're basically saying I should value what you value because I should. You have no real argument as to why we should value those things, just that its somehow ingrained in our brains and somehow even if that were true that means those desires are valuable and those who choose not to take actions to maximize them are "barbarians". Again, you are arguing that your philosophy carries no objective weight yet condemning people for their refusal to hold it


The point of this whole explanation is that just because I am a moral relativist does not mean I can't coherently express any moral opinion, or treat that opinion as universally justifiable...if I feel that my opponent also agrees with the predicate it serves...like fairness, in the case of many liberal policies.

Understood, but you're still failing to give any reason to believe in that predicate

In itself, I doubt you don't care about fairness.

And if I dont?


I believe that some semblance of a standard is establish in common humanity or common culture.

Even if you could prove that a cultural standard exists what exactly does that do to prove that it should be implemented in national policy? Like, every region/state has a different culture you know

And so with that, I can coherently propound ideas on what we "should and should not" do, the subjectivity of the claim notwithstanding.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:25:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:49:37 PM, blameworthy wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.

LMAO. When wealth and good jobs get redistributed to C and D grade sons of elite who go to Yale because daddy donated a library or is the President, are we rewarding success and hard work?

EAT THE RICH AND THEIR LILLY WHITE BABIES TOO!!!!!!!

First, you need to prove that those jobs were "bought".

Second, if I earn that money and pass it to my sons then that's no one's business but mine. It's my money so why should it go to you rather than my kids?? What right do you have to lay claim to it?? If it weren't the scenario you're talking about here you'd find something else to bmc about. Too many vehicles, too big a house. Grow up and stop bitching about what other people have when you know good and well that if you're ever in that position you'll have those same things too.

Do not covet.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:32:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:51:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.

Beware of the greed which masks itself under the moniker of economic freedom. So long as human beings live in a collectivist community where the success of one is so intimately dependent on the work of others, freedom isn't the only virtue in need of protection. We are not barbarians. We cannot sit back and let people die because they can't afford proper medical care, or struggle because they were born in and went on to live disadvantaged lives....because the powers that created this unnatural inequality in the first place did nothing to allay its consequences.

A pick-pocket who knows how to spin his crime into a respectable profession may fool some people, but his victims will still realize that he's nothing but a thief.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,320
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:54:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What's the fastest and easiest way to close down a sweatshop in America?

Answer:
a) choose not to work there and live off a garden in a log cabin in the woods.
or
b) steal all it's employees away by getting a loan and make a better paying sweatshop
or
c) burn it down

obviously c
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:55:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.

Go to your room
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:06:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 10:32:32 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:51:24 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.

Beware of the greed which masks itself under the moniker of economic freedom. So long as human beings live in a collectivist community where the success of one is so intimately dependent on the work of others, freedom isn't the only virtue in need of protection. We are not barbarians. We cannot sit back and let people die because they can't afford proper medical care, or struggle because they were born in and went on to live disadvantaged lives....because the powers that created this unnatural inequality in the first place did nothing to allay its consequences.

A pick-pocket who knows how to spin his crime into a respectable profession may fool some people, but his victims will still realize that he's nothing but a thief.

A debater who has no rebuttal to a valid point will instead appeal to emotion by coming up with a snappy slogan.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:17:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 10:55:20 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:23:56 PM, medic0506 wrote:
The voters aren't rewarding failure, they're rewarding success and promises kept. They want free sh!t at other people's expense and he delivered. He did exactly what he was elected to do and he'll continue redistributing the wealth and punishing hard work and success.

Go to your room

but daaaad