Total Posts:61|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Conservative Nonsense

Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 1:37:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
From DDO forums to Fox news, I keep hearing this message of America now being a "nation of takers", apparently because they voted for Obama. Can someone please explain this connection to me? Can anyone here please explain to me what Obama has done to make it easier for people to get free handouts from the government?

Seems to me that you guys need to get over the fact that you lost and stop making excuses for it.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 1:42:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Not that I agree with the setiment, but the amount of people on food stamps have increased dramatically under Obama:

http://www.decisionsonevidence.com...

Although where on DDO has it been said that the nation has become a bunch of takers. My main complaint with Obama is the increased regulator burden he has put on industry as well as the amount of debt that has increased under him.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 1:48:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 1:42:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Not that I agree with the setiment, but the amount of people on food stamps have increased dramatically under Obama:

http://www.decisionsonevidence.com...

Although where on DDO has it been said that the nation has become a bunch of takers. My main complaint with Obama is the increased regulator burden he has put on industry as well as the amount of debt that has increased under him.

We have a thread titled "Do Americans want Socialism", as well as quite a few comments, at least two others I have personally responded to.

I am fully aware of the increase of people on food stamps since Obama took office. At the time he was swarn in the country was in the midst of the greatest economic collapse since the great depression, did you really expect a different outcome?

Again, the question is: What has Obama done to make it easier for people to get "free handouts"?
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 1:51:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 1:48:42 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:42:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Not that I agree with the setiment, but the amount of people on food stamps have increased dramatically under Obama:

http://www.decisionsonevidence.com...

Although where on DDO has it been said that the nation has become a bunch of takers. My main complaint with Obama is the increased regulator burden he has put on industry as well as the amount of debt that has increased under him.

We have a thread titled "Do Americans want Socialism", as well as quite a few comments, at least two others I have personally responded to.

I am fully aware of the increase of people on food stamps since Obama took office. At the time he was swarn in the country was in the midst of the greatest economic collapse since the great depression, did you really expect a different outcome?

Again, the question is: What has Obama done to make it easier for people to get "free handouts"?

Well socialism =/= bunch of takers.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
1Percenter
Posts: 781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 2:03:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 1:48:42 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:42:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Not that I agree with the setiment, but the amount of people on food stamps have increased dramatically under Obama:

http://www.decisionsonevidence.com...

Although where on DDO has it been said that the nation has become a bunch of takers. My main complaint with Obama is the increased regulator burden he has put on industry as well as the amount of debt that has increased under him.

We have a thread titled "Do Americans want Socialism", as well as quite a few comments, at least two others I have personally responded to.

I am fully aware of the increase of people on food stamps since Obama took office. At the time he was swarn in the country was in the midst of the greatest economic collapse since the great depression, did you really expect a different outcome?

Again, the question is: What has Obama done to make it easier for people to get "free handouts"?

Well, for one, he waived the work requirements for TANF through the HHS. He has also attempted to suspend work requirements for food stamps through his budget and through stimulus acts.

So yes, Obama has in fact made it easier for people to get free handouts.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 3:10:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 2:03:26 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
Well, for one, he waived the work requirements for TANF through the HHS.

Nice try
http://www.politifact.com...

He has also attempted to suspend work requirements for food stamps through his budget and through stimulus acts.

"While the number of able-bodied adults without dependents on food stamps did double from 2008 to 2010, nearly all states were receiving a full or partial waiver from work requirements before Obama took office. It"s unclear how much of an impact the stimulus law"s waiver had."
http://www.factcheck.org...

So does this justify the mantra?
1Percenter
Posts: 781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 3:34:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 3:10:47 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/8/2012 2:03:26 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
Well, for one, he waived the work requirements for TANF through the HHS.

Nice try
http://www.politifact.com...


This is a fact check on the statement "they just send you your check.", not whether the work requirements were waived or not. The fact is that the requirement for states to have a certain percentage of their welfare recipients to be engaged in some kind of work activity were waived by Obama's HHS. With the waiver, states can instead opt to receive federal welfare funding by showing a certain percentage of recipients leaving their welfare rolls each month, which can probably be done by better record-keeping alone!
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 3:46:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 3:34:13 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 11/8/2012 3:10:47 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/8/2012 2:03:26 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
Well, for one, he waived the work requirements for TANF through the HHS.

Nice try
http://www.politifact.com...


This is a fact check on the statement "they just send you your check.", not whether the work requirements were waived or not. The fact is that the requirement for states to have a certain percentage of their welfare recipients to be engaged in some kind of work activity were waived by Obama's HHS. With the waiver, states can instead opt to receive federal welfare funding by showing a certain percentage of recipients leaving their welfare rolls each month, which can probably be done by better record-keeping alone!

There were many different statements made in the ad they were examining for fact checkers to pick from. The reason why they picked the "they just send you your check" line is because it speaks to the false mantra that ran a muck on the right as soon as this story came out. That mantra was that Obama is fighting for more government handouts. Yet in reality, as you nicely put it, the goal was to get people off of welfare rolls.

As far as better record keeping... I somehow doubt you have any factual evidence to back up your assertion.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 4:07:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 1:37:59 PM, Double_R wrote:
From DDO forums to Fox news, I keep hearing this message of America now being a "nation of takers", apparently because they voted for Obama. Can someone please explain this connection to me? Can anyone here please explain to me what Obama has done to make it easier for people to get free handouts from the government?

Seems to me that you guys need to get over the fact that you lost and stop making excuses for it.

This isn't a new complaint, it's something that we've been protesting against for years. Moochers learn how to play the system and get things for free from the government, which makes the government come after us for more tax revenues.

Obama makes no bones about the fact that he favors redistribution of wealth, and his policies bear that out. Who's gonna pay for Obamacare, and for all the additional people that qualify for medicaid and food stamps?? Who pays for all the fraud and abuse of the system??

It's not enough that food stamp use and abuse has increased since he took office, but now his administration uses taxpayer money to run ads to get even more people signed up to feed off the taxpayer tit. They're essentially buying votes for Democrats with an EBT card, at taxpayer expense.

http://wreg.com...
RileyMitchum
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 4:18:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I would like to throw in my two cents. First please visit the link [1], it is the labor force statistics from 2002-2012. It has been in a decline since 2002, however in 2009, the beginning of President Obamas first term, the decline gets steeper. Next I would like to refer you to link [1], this is the labor force participation rate (in percent). Notice from 2000-2008, all under G.W. Bush, it stays relatively constant. However in 2009 in begins to plummet from 65.7% to 63.8%. The participation rate has not been this low since the 80s. As far as making it easier for people to receive handouts welfare spending was "563 billion in FY2008 and jumped to $746 billion in FY2011, an increase of 32 percent" [3]. For more information I would encourage you to read the articles on links [3] and [4].

Links
[1] http://data.bls.gov...
[2] http://data.bls.gov...
[3] http://www.washingtontimes.com...
[4] http://clashdaily.com...
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 4:24:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 4:07:17 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:37:59 PM, Double_R wrote:
From DDO forums to Fox news, I keep hearing this message of America now being a "nation of takers", apparently because they voted for Obama. Can someone please explain this connection to me? Can anyone here please explain to me what Obama has done to make it easier for people to get free handouts from the government?

Seems to me that you guys need to get over the fact that you lost and stop making excuses for it.

This isn't a new complaint, it's something that we've been protesting against for years. Moochers learn how to play the system and get things for free from the government, which makes the government come after us for more tax revenues.

Obama makes no bones about the fact that he favors redistribution of wealth, and his policies bear that out. Who's gonna pay for Obamacare, and for all the additional people that qualify for medicaid and food stamps?? Who pays for all the fraud and abuse of the system??

It's not enough that food stamp use and abuse has increased since he took office, but now his administration uses taxpayer money to run ads to get even more people signed up to feed off the taxpayer tit. They're essentially buying votes for Democrats with an EBT card, at taxpayer expense.

This FTW

http://wreg.com...



"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
1Percenter
Posts: 781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:17:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 3:46:30 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/8/2012 3:34:13 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 11/8/2012 3:10:47 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/8/2012 2:03:26 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
Well, for one, he waived the work requirements for TANF through the HHS.

Nice try
http://www.politifact.com...


This is a fact check on the statement "they just send you your check.", not whether the work requirements were waived or not. The fact is that the requirement for states to have a certain percentage of their welfare recipients to be engaged in some kind of work activity were waived by Obama's HHS. With the waiver, states can instead opt to receive federal welfare funding by showing a certain percentage of recipients leaving their welfare rolls each month, which can probably be done by better record-keeping alone!

There were many different statements made in the ad they were examining for fact checkers to pick from. The reason why they picked the "they just send you your check" line is because it speaks to the false mantra that ran a muck on the right as soon as this story came out. That mantra was that Obama is fighting for more government handouts. Yet in reality, as you nicely put it, the goal was to get people off of welfare rolls.

As far as better record keeping... I somehow doubt you have any factual evidence to back up your assertion.

Yeah, if only the government were ever that transparent. No state keeps perfect employment records. The waiver requires states to post a 20% increase in people leaving the welfare payrolls. On average about 1.5% of TANF recipients leave the rolls each month because of employment. This means to waive the work requirements they just need to up that exit rate to about 1.8%. It just so happens that the more people that are on welfare, the greater the monthly exits are. So instead of maintaining work requirements for welfare checks, states just need to add more people to the welfare rolls, and they can easily reach the 1.8% exit rate. Obama has created incentives for states to increase government handouts.

http://www.heritage.org...
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:17:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You are a plummer. You get a call from a man who tells you that his pipe burst in his basement. When you arrive there is water spilling everywhere. The man tells you to fix the problem and leaves. During that time you manage to stop the leak, and begin to clean up the water. The man comes back and yells at you because there is water everywhere.

Telling me how many people are unemployed or on food stamps since Obama took office does absolutely nothing to make your case. When he took office the economy was losing 800,000 jobs a month, then you guys act surprised when people are on food stamps and seem to blame him for it. If your only facts to support your assertions are that he was the president during that time then you have no idea what you are talking about.
http://www.barackobama.com...

Medic, the food stamps ad is something I had not seen before and is quite repulsive. It is ridiculous that the government is using taxpayer money to advertise a program which gives away taxpayer money. I think you are right, this is politicians using taxpayer money to buy votes. I will however just point out:

"President Bush launched a recruitment campaign, which pushed average participation up by 63% during his eight years in office. The USDA began airing paid radio spots in 2004."
http://money.cnn.com...
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:29:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 6:17:24 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
Yeah, if only the government were ever that transparent. No state keeps perfect employment records. The waiver requires states to post a 20% increase in people leaving the welfare payrolls. On average about 1.5% of TANF recipients leave the rolls each month because of employment. This means to waive the work requirements they just need to up that exit rate to about 1.8%. It just so happens that the more people that are on welfare, the greater the monthly exits are. So instead of maintaining work requirements for welfare checks, states just need to add more people to the welfare rolls, and they can easily reach the 1.8% exit rate. Obama has created incentives for states to increase government handouts.

Your argument is essentially that Obama left a way for states to make a conscious decision to openly rip off the federal government, while providing no evidence that any state actually did that. Not exactly a strong argument that Obama is increasing government handouts.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:36:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 1:37:59 PM, Double_R wrote:
From DDO forums to Fox news, I keep hearing this message of America now being a "nation of takers", apparently because they voted for Obama. Can someone please explain this connection to me? Can anyone here please explain to me what Obama has done to make it easier for people to get free handouts from the government?

Seems to me that you guys need to get over the fact that you lost and stop making excuses for it.

Let me explain the main difference between Republicans and Democrats.

Repiblicans sign the front of the check, and Democrats sign the back of the check.

Understand now?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:37:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 1:37:59 PM, Double_R wrote:
From DDO forums to Fox news, I keep hearing this message of America now being a "nation of takers", apparently because they voted for Obama. Can someone please explain this connection to me? Can anyone here please explain to me what Obama has done to make it easier for people to get free handouts from the government?

Seems to me that you guys need to get over the fact that you lost and stop making excuses for it.

Let me explain the main difference between Republicans and Democrats.

Republicans sign the front of the check, and Democrats sign the back of the check.

There, does that help you understand things?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
1Percenter
Posts: 781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:53:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 6:17:26 PM, Double_R wrote:
You are a plummer. You get a call from a man who tells you that his pipe burst in his basement. When you arrive there is water spilling everywhere. The man tells you to fix the problem and leaves. During that time you manage to stop the leak, and begin to clean up the water. The man comes back and yells at you because there is water everywhere.

Telling me how many people are unemployed or on food stamps since Obama took office does absolutely nothing to make your case. When he took office the economy was losing 800,000 jobs a month, then you guys act surprised when people are on food stamps and seem to blame him for it. If your only facts to support your assertions are that he was the president during that time then you have no idea what you are talking about.
http://www.barackobama.com...

Medic, the food stamps ad is something I had not seen before and is quite repulsive. It is ridiculous that the government is using taxpayer money to advertise a program which gives away taxpayer money. I think you are right, this is politicians using taxpayer money to buy votes. I will however just point out:

"President Bush launched a recruitment campaign, which pushed average participation up by 63% during his eight years in office. The USDA began airing paid radio spots in 2004."
http://money.cnn.com...

There are twice as many people on food stamps now than there were when Obama took office. Does that mean things are twice as bad now? According to you they are, since you seem to think the unemployment rate corresponds with food stamp participation. That's why Obama's dramatically increased food-stamp and other welfare spending. It's the only way he knows how to compensate for the fact that he can't get Americans back to work. Either that or he is intentionally trying to bloat government dependency to make sure big government democrats have votes next election.

Since Obama has waived the work requirements, participation among able-bodied people in the food stamps program has doubled. So yes, there is evidence.
http://www.scribd.com...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:55:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 6:37:49 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:37:59 PM, Double_R wrote:
From DDO forums to Fox news, I keep hearing this message of America now being a "nation of takers", apparently because they voted for Obama. Can someone please explain this connection to me? Can anyone here please explain to me what Obama has done to make it easier for people to get free handouts from the government?

Seems to me that you guys need to get over the fact that you lost and stop making excuses for it.

Let me explain the main difference between Republicans and Democrats.

Republicans sign the front of the check, and Democrats sign the back of the check.

There, does that help you understand things?

Your a dumba** you know that?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 7:04:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 2:03:26 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:48:42 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:42:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Not that I agree with the setiment, but the amount of people on food stamps have increased dramatically under Obama:

http://www.decisionsonevidence.com...

Although where on DDO has it been said that the nation has become a bunch of takers. My main complaint with Obama is the increased regulator burden he has put on industry as well as the amount of debt that has increased under him.

We have a thread titled "Do Americans want Socialism", as well as quite a few comments, at least two others I have personally responded to.

I am fully aware of the increase of people on food stamps since Obama took office. At the time he was swarn in the country was in the midst of the greatest economic collapse since the great depression, did you really expect a different outcome?

Again, the question is: What has Obama done to make it easier for people to get "free handouts"?

Well, for one, he waived the work requirements for TANF through the HHS. He has also attempted to suspend work requirements for food stamps through his budget and through stimulus acts.

This is actually baloney. Obama never waived the work requirements; politifact said that he told states that they could scrap the requirements only if they proved that they could put in place more effective ones.
So yes, Obama has in fact made it easier for people to get free handouts.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 7:06:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 4:24:35 PM, Contra wrote:
At 11/8/2012 4:07:17 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:37:59 PM, Double_R wrote:
From DDO forums to Fox news, I keep hearing this message of America now being a "nation of takers", apparently because they voted for Obama. Can someone please explain this connection to me? Can anyone here please explain to me what Obama has done to make it easier for people to get free handouts from the government?

Seems to me that you guys need to get over the fact that you lost and stop making excuses for it.

This isn't a new complaint, it's something that we've been protesting against for years. Moochers learn how to play the system and get things for free from the government, which makes the government come after us for more tax revenues.

Obama makes no bones about the fact that he favors redistribution of wealth, and his policies bear that out. Who's gonna pay for Obamacare, and for all the additional people that qualify for medicaid and food stamps?? Who pays for all the fraud and abuse of the system??

It's not enough that food stamp use and abuse has increased since he took office, but now his administration uses taxpayer money to run ads to get even more people signed up to feed off the taxpayer tit. They're essentially buying votes for Democrats with an EBT card, at taxpayer expense.

This FTW

http://wreg.com...





So? Republicans buy the elite with corporate welfare, bailouts, and pork.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 7:07:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 6:37:49 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:37:59 PM, Double_R wrote:
From DDO forums to Fox news, I keep hearing this message of America now being a "nation of takers", apparently because they voted for Obama. Can someone please explain this connection to me? Can anyone here please explain to me what Obama has done to make it easier for people to get free handouts from the government?

Seems to me that you guys need to get over the fact that you lost and stop making excuses for it.

Let me explain the main difference between Republicans and Democrats.

Republicans sign the front of the check, and Democrats sign the back of the check.

There, does that help you understand things?

Yeah, those swamp dwellers are definitely paying for my existence LMAO.
1Percenter
Posts: 781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 7:11:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 7:04:29 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 11/8/2012 2:03:26 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:48:42 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:42:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Not that I agree with the setiment, but the amount of people on food stamps have increased dramatically under Obama:

http://www.decisionsonevidence.com...

Although where on DDO has it been said that the nation has become a bunch of takers. My main complaint with Obama is the increased regulator burden he has put on industry as well as the amount of debt that has increased under him.

We have a thread titled "Do Americans want Socialism", as well as quite a few comments, at least two others I have personally responded to.

I am fully aware of the increase of people on food stamps since Obama took office. At the time he was swarn in the country was in the midst of the greatest economic collapse since the great depression, did you really expect a different outcome?

Again, the question is: What has Obama done to make it easier for people to get "free handouts"?

Well, for one, he waived the work requirements for TANF through the HHS. He has also attempted to suspend work requirements for food stamps through his budget and through stimulus acts.

This is actually baloney. Obama never waived the work requirements; politifact said that he told states that they could scrap the requirements only if they proved that they could put in place more effective ones.
So yes, Obama has in fact made it easier for people to get free handouts.

If you read my previous posts, I explain how the "more effective" requirements are baloney and only lead to more handouts.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 7:37:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 7:11:11 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 11/8/2012 7:04:29 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 11/8/2012 2:03:26 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:48:42 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:42:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Not that I agree with the setiment, but the amount of people on food stamps have increased dramatically under Obama:

http://www.decisionsonevidence.com...

Although where on DDO has it been said that the nation has become a bunch of takers. My main complaint with Obama is the increased regulator burden he has put on industry as well as the amount of debt that has increased under him.

We have a thread titled "Do Americans want Socialism", as well as quite a few comments, at least two others I have personally responded to.

I am fully aware of the increase of people on food stamps since Obama took office. At the time he was swarn in the country was in the midst of the greatest economic collapse since the great depression, did you really expect a different outcome?

Again, the question is: What has Obama done to make it easier for people to get "free handouts"?

Well, for one, he waived the work requirements for TANF through the HHS. He has also attempted to suspend work requirements for food stamps through his budget and through stimulus acts.

This is actually baloney. Obama never waived the work requirements; politifact said that he told states that they could scrap the requirements only if they proved that they could put in place more effective ones.
So yes, Obama has in fact made it easier for people to get free handouts.

If you read my previous posts, I explain how the "more effective" requirements are baloney and only lead to more handouts.

This is what you said: "With the waiver, states can instead opt to receive federal welfare funding by showing a certain percentage of recipients leaving their welfare rolls each month, which can probably be done by better record-keeping alone!"

Responses
1. Increased welfare budgets for the states does not equal reducing the work requirement.

2. Prove that the states are not keeping records accurately.

3. If the states had an increased budget and put more people on welfare, wouldn't their records show an expansion and thus negate your claim anyways?
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 8:23:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 6:53:24 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
There are twice as many people on food stamps now than there were when Obama took office. Does that mean things are twice as bad now? According to you they are, since you seem to think the unemployment rate corresponds with food stamp participation. That's why Obama's dramatically increased food-stamp and other welfare spending. It's the only way he knows how to compensate for the fact that he can't get Americans back to work. Either that or he is intentionally trying to bloat government dependency to make sure big government democrats have votes next election.

You are not arguing against Obama, you are arguing against the recession. When people are not working they do not earn paychecks. When people do not earn paychecks they do not have food to eat. When they do not have food, they apply for food stamps. Obama does not decide if he approves them or not. Obama influences the legislation which determines whether they get approved. Telling me that people got approved has nothing to do with what Obama did to influence that decision.

You do understand that when a country is in a recession there will be more people in need of public assistance right?

Since Obama has waived the work requirements, participation among able-bodied people in the food stamps program has doubled. So yes, there is evidence.

Let's try this... again.

At 11/8/2012 3:10:47 PM, Double_R wrote:
"While the number of able-bodied adults without dependents on food stamps did double from 2008 to 2010, nearly all states were receiving a full or partial waiver from work requirements before Obama took office. It"s unclear how much of an impact the stimulus law"s waiver had."
http://www.factcheck.org...
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,730
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:41:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 1:42:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Not that I agree with the setiment, but the amount of people on food stamps have increased dramatically under Obama:

http://www.decisionsonevidence.com...

Although where on DDO has it been said that the nation has become a bunch of takers. My main complaint with Obama is the increased regulator burden he has put on industry as well as the amount of debt that has increased under him.

F*ck industry. Industry is the result of our economic demand for more luxuries. What the growth of industry means for you and I:

- Less time. As demand for more products per capita increases, the need for more work per capita increases. Does that make sense?

We are working more than ever, and working more than other developed countries. That's CONSIDERING that we are exporting our "jobs," (which turns out is another word for more work), to other countries. One externality of economic production is more effing work to do. IOWs, the worst thing you want more of is intensified under the current paradigm.

"In the U.S., 85.8 percent of males and 66.5 percent of females work more than 40 hours per week."

We are a generation of children raised by other people more than our own parents.

- Less freedom. These jobs we're working are also imposing tight restrictions on our behavior. I'm not saying work is EVIL, I'm saying that we should control how much our economic dog starts wagging the tail of the people. When plastic knick-knacks become more important than people, I think it's a sign that we are going to be looked down upon by future generations as petty and materialistic. Just as the medieval period was religiously demented and constricting on behavior, we are becoming materialistically affected similarly. Instead of Ptolemy, we have Laissez-Faire.

- More pollution.

- Unsustainable resource use.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 10:29:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 1:37:59 PM, Double_R wrote:
From DDO forums to Fox news, I keep hearing this message of America now being a "nation of takers", apparently because they voted for Obama. Can someone please explain this connection to me? Can anyone here please explain to me what Obama has done to make it easier for people to get free handouts from the government?

Seems to me that you guys need to get over the fact that you lost and stop making excuses for it.

I believe Medic said it best. Obama is open and honest about redistribution of wealth. Obamacare is evidence of that.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
1Percenter
Posts: 781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 1:45:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 7:37:38 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 11/8/2012 7:11:11 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 11/8/2012 7:04:29 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 11/8/2012 2:03:26 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:48:42 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:42:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Not that I agree with the setiment, but the amount of people on food stamps have increased dramatically under Obama:

http://www.decisionsonevidence.com...

Although where on DDO has it been said that the nation has become a bunch of takers. My main complaint with Obama is the increased regulator burden he has put on industry as well as the amount of debt that has increased under him.

We have a thread titled "Do Americans want Socialism", as well as quite a few comments, at least two others I have personally responded to.

I am fully aware of the increase of people on food stamps since Obama took office. At the time he was swarn in the country was in the midst of the greatest economic collapse since the great depression, did you really expect a different outcome?

Again, the question is: What has Obama done to make it easier for people to get "free handouts"?

Well, for one, he waived the work requirements for TANF through the HHS. He has also attempted to suspend work requirements for food stamps through his budget and through stimulus acts.

This is actually baloney. Obama never waived the work requirements; politifact said that he told states that they could scrap the requirements only if they proved that they could put in place more effective ones.
So yes, Obama has in fact made it easier for people to get free handouts.

If you read my previous posts, I explain how the "more effective" requirements are baloney and only lead to more handouts.

This is what you said: "With the waiver, states can instead opt to receive federal welfare funding by showing a certain percentage of recipients leaving their welfare rolls each month, which can probably be done by better record-keeping alone!"

Responses
1. Increased welfare budgets for the states does not equal reducing the work requirement.

So you just think it's coincidence that the HHS waives work requirements for welfare recipients, and then welfare spending reaches an all-time highs?


2. Prove that the states are not keeping records accurately.

The HHS announced that it would use a new-hires data system to monitor the employment of welfare recipients leaving the rolls both as a baseline and to measure future TANF performance for the states. It's not that states are keeping inaccurate records, but it seems that they would just have to report more accurate data on exits to waive work requirements. There is in fact an entire report by the HHS that highlights ways states can improve their TANF performance measures.
http://aspe.hhs.gov...


3. If the states had an increased budget and put more people on welfare, wouldn't their records show an expansion and thus negate your claim anyways?

No. The HHS only requires a 20% improvement moving people from welfare to work. For one, this is actually a very small improvement necessary to waive everyone's work requirements. Second, as the economy rebounds, welfare exits will naturally increase by the amount the HHS wants as people are employed. Third, data shows us that the number of people leaving welfare for employment usually rises as the number of welfare recipients rises and falls when that number falls. States could be adding more and more people to the welfare payrolls and still technically be "improving". It's absurd.
1Percenter
Posts: 781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:14:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 8:23:56 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/8/2012 6:53:24 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
There are twice as many people on food stamps now than there were when Obama took office. Does that mean things are twice as bad now? According to you they are, since you seem to think the unemployment rate corresponds with food stamp participation. That's why Obama's dramatically increased food-stamp and other welfare spending. It's the only way he knows how to compensate for the fact that he can't get Americans back to work. Either that or he is intentionally trying to bloat government dependency to make sure big government democrats have votes next election.

You are not arguing against Obama, you are arguing against the recession. When people are not working they do not earn paychecks. When people do not earn paychecks they do not have food to eat. When they do not have food, they apply for food stamps. Obama does not decide if he approves them or not. Obama influences the legislation which determines whether they get approved. Telling me that people got approved has nothing to do with what Obama did to influence that decision.

You do understand that when a country is in a recession there will be more people in need of public assistance right?

Since Obama has waived the work requirements, participation among able-bodied people in the food stamps program has doubled. So yes, there is evidence.

Let's try this... again.

At 11/8/2012 3:10:47 PM, Double_R wrote:
"While the number of able-bodied adults without dependents on food stamps did double from 2008 to 2010, nearly all states were receiving a full or partial waiver from work requirements before Obama took office. It"s unclear how much of an impact the stimulus law"s waiver had."
http://www.factcheck.org...

Obviously, the recession is partly responsible for the increase in food stamp spending, but the USDA has also liberalized their eligibility standards in order to maximize food stamp recipients. In his budgets, Obama has shown no indication he intends to return food stamp spending to pre-recession levels either.

It turns out that in many states, you can qualify to receive food stamps for buying brochures or calling toll-free numbers.
http://thehill.com...
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 11:34:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 7:06:01 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 11/8/2012 4:24:35 PM, Contra wrote:
At 11/8/2012 4:07:17 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 11/8/2012 1:37:59 PM, Double_R wrote:
From DDO forums to Fox news, I keep hearing this message of America now being a "nation of takers", apparently because they voted for Obama. Can someone please explain this connection to me? Can anyone here please explain to me what Obama has done to make it easier for people to get free handouts from the government?

Seems to me that you guys need to get over the fact that you lost and stop making excuses for it.

This isn't a new complaint, it's something that we've been protesting against for years. Moochers learn how to play the system and get things for free from the government, which makes the government come after us for more tax revenues.

Obama makes no bones about the fact that he favors redistribution of wealth, and his policies bear that out. Who's gonna pay for Obamacare, and for all the additional people that qualify for medicaid and food stamps?? Who pays for all the fraud and abuse of the system??

It's not enough that food stamp use and abuse has increased since he took office, but now his administration uses taxpayer money to run ads to get even more people signed up to feed off the taxpayer tit. They're essentially buying votes for Democrats with an EBT card, at taxpayer expense.

This FTW

http://wreg.com...





So? Republicans buy the elite with corporate welfare, bailouts, and pork.

Define exactly what you consider corporate welfare.

As for bailouts and pork, I only support expenditures that are necessary and make sense.