Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

The post-legislative era

RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 2:02:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There is talk that the continuing deadlock in congress will keep Obama from getting things done. Not at all. To retain power, an authoritarian government there must always someone to blame for failure other than government: Republicans, rich people, business people, white people -- take your choice. The campaign will never end, because blame must always be shifted away from government.

theoretically, the House can refuse to raise the debt ceiling, but they really can't. would be blamed for the crisis and voted out, so they will fold. The game is to authorize tax increases through reduced deductions for the rich, in return for future spending cuts that never actually arrive. Continuing resolutions have a programmed spending increase of 8% per year.

President Obama has control f banking through Dodd-Frank. Small business cannot cope with the tens of thousands of pages of regulations, so they'll gradually be drive out in favor of large companies that can be controlled. EPA controls energy, so they can control everything from automobiles to farming to appliances, determining what you should be allowed to have. The EPA achieved the right to control CO2 through the courts, but they were reluctant to use the authority for fear of backlash. ADA has the power to regulate the details of business. Health care is under control with Obamacare; private medical practice will be ended, so all medical care will go through controllable bureaucracies.

Obama has the power to nullify laws it doesn't like. The regime granted amnesty from immigration laws (dream act) as a first step. The full power of the government will fight it through the courts, and if they happen to lose they can start over again with a different basis for the action. Each cycle takes many years. The requirement for the Senate to approve appoints was defeated with a recess appointment made after the Senate had acted to end recess appointments.

Obama's second term will be about consolidation of authoritarian power with endless demonization of opponents so the Administration will never be blamed for failure.
1Percenter
Posts: 782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 2:33:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Obama's also intervened militarily and committed American forces without consulting congress or obtaining any congressional approval. He's waived welfare work requirement mandates set in place by congress... And gotten away with it all.

It's funny how he then turns around and blames congress for not wanting to work with him. I'm frightened of the next 4 years, as Obama no longer has to worry about unpopular/failed policies costing him re-election.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 1:03:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This needs a bump.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 1:07:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The amount of fail in this thread is very abundant.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 1:08:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/8/2012 2:02:20 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
There is talk that the continuing deadlock in congress will keep Obama from getting things done. Not at all. To retain power, an authoritarian government there must always someone to blame for failure other than government: Republicans, rich people, business people, white people -- take your choice. The campaign will never end, because blame must always be shifted away from government.

theoretically, the House can refuse to raise the debt ceiling, but they really can't. would be blamed for the crisis and voted out, so they will fold. The game is to authorize tax increases through reduced deductions for the rich, in return for future spending cuts that never actually arrive. Continuing resolutions have a programmed spending increase of 8% per year.

President Obama has control f banking through Dodd-Frank. Small business cannot cope with the tens of thousands of pages of regulations, so they'll gradually be drive out in favor of large companies that can be controlled. EPA controls energy, so they can control everything from automobiles to farming to appliances, determining what you should be allowed to have. The EPA achieved the right to control CO2 through the courts, but they were reluctant to use the authority for fear of backlash. ADA has the power to regulate the details of business. Health care is under control with Obamacare; private medical practice will be ended, so all medical care will go through controllable bureaucracies.

Obama has the power to nullify laws it doesn't like. The regime granted amnesty from immigration laws (dream act) as a first step. The full power of the government will fight it through the courts, and if they happen to lose they can start over again with a different basis for the action. Each cycle takes many years. The requirement for the Senate to approve appoints was defeated with a recess appointment made after the Senate had acted to end recess appointments.

Obama's second term will be about consolidation of authoritarian power with endless demonization of opponents so the Administration will never be blamed for failure.

http://www.humblelibertarian.com...
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 1:12:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 1:08:46 PM, Microsuck wrote:
At 11/8/2012 2:02:20 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
There is talk that the continuing deadlock in congress will keep Obama from getting things done. Not at all. To retain power, an authoritarian government there must always someone to blame for failure other than government: Republicans, rich people, business people, white people -- take your choice. The campaign will never end, because blame must always be shifted away from government.

theoretically, the House can refuse to raise the debt ceiling, but they really can't. would be blamed for the crisis and voted out, so they will fold. The game is to authorize tax increases through reduced deductions for the rich, in return for future spending cuts that never actually arrive. Continuing resolutions have a programmed spending increase of 8% per year.

President Obama has control f banking through Dodd-Frank. Small business cannot cope with the tens of thousands of pages of regulations, so they'll gradually be drive out in favor of large companies that can be controlled. EPA controls energy, so they can control everything from automobiles to farming to appliances, determining what you should be allowed to have. The EPA achieved the right to control CO2 through the courts, but they were reluctant to use the authority for fear of backlash. ADA has the power to regulate the details of business. Health care is under control with Obamacare; private medical practice will be ended, so all medical care will go through controllable bureaucracies.

Obama has the power to nullify laws it doesn't like. The regime granted amnesty from immigration laws (dream act) as a first step. The full power of the government will fight it through the courts, and if they happen to lose they can start over again with a different basis for the action. Each cycle takes many years. The requirement for the Senate to approve appoints was defeated with a recess appointment made after the Senate had acted to end recess appointments.

Obama's second term will be about consolidation of authoritarian power with endless demonization of opponents so the Administration will never be blamed for failure.


http://www.humblelibertarian.com...

Guess what! Obama and Bush also have two eyes and breathe air! :O
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 1:17:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/8/2012 2:02:20 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Obama's second term will be about consolidation of authoritarian power with endless demonization of opponents so the Administration will never be blamed for failure.

Whatever you say Alex Jones...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
emj32
Posts: 111
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 1:21:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 1:17:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/8/2012 2:02:20 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Obama's second term will be about consolidation of authoritarian power with endless demonization of opponents so the Administration will never be blamed for failure.

Whatever you say Alex Jones...

So much win in this single post
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 2:20:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 1:08:46 PM, Microsuck wrote:
http://www.humblelibertarian.com...

The post is nonsense. It goes on forever that any attack on terrorism is completely unacceptable. Neither Bush nor Obama is willing to support a free market in the development and distribution of nuclear weapons to terrorists, so they are alike. So Bush and Obama are guilty of being sane.

And can you imagine fighting a war without a timetable for completion? That's never been done before Bush and Obama ... well, except for every war in history.

The military-industrial complex has never been larger? U.S. policy until the 90s was to be able to fight two wars simultaneously with 500,000 soldiers in each war. Now fielding 250,000 soldiers is a strain.

The blog post clearly by a visitor from another planet. It doesn't relate to our world.

A fundamental mistake of the blog is a failure to recognize that economic freedom is more important than other issues. That's the most important difference between Bush and Obama. Fewer than a third of banking regulations under Dodd-Frank have been issued, and they have already dealt a severe blow to small business. Perhaps 10% of Obamacare regulations have been issued. The EPA has been holding back on killing energy independence for fear of voter reaction. It's all to come.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 5:35:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Of course Republicans would be blamed for the debt crises if they refused to compromise. Because it would be their fault.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 5:45:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 5:35:25 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Of course Republicans would be blamed for the debt crises if they refused to compromise. Because it would be their fault.

why is it considered the republicans the one who are the ones refusing to compromise. Why can't it be that the Democrats are the ones who are refusing to compromise or both groups can't reach an agreement.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:49:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 5:45:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/17/2012 5:35:25 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Of course Republicans would be blamed for the debt crises if they refused to compromise. Because it would be their fault.

why is it considered the republicans the one who are the ones refusing to compromise. Why can't it be that the Democrats are the ones who are refusing to compromise or both groups can't reach an agreement.

When the debt ceiling was reached last year it was the republicans who decided that they were not going to raise it unless they got their way, despite the fact that raising it was a routine for them under Bush and every other president that preceded him.

When those negotiations were had they decided to time this fiscal cliff so that it was negotiated right after the election. The idea was that the candidates would put their solutions forward and let the American people decide how to proceed. Obama's signature campaign promise, and the main difference between him and Romney was in how we would treat the rich in terms of economic policy. Obama won. Now, the only reason why republicans won't come to the table is because they won't accept what the American people voted for.
1Percenter
Posts: 782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 4:20:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 1:49:19 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 12/17/2012 5:45:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 12/17/2012 5:35:25 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Of course Republicans would be blamed for the debt crises if they refused to compromise. Because it would be their fault.

why is it considered the republicans the one who are the ones refusing to compromise. Why can't it be that the Democrats are the ones who are refusing to compromise or both groups can't reach an agreement.

When the debt ceiling was reached last year it was the republicans who decided that they were not going to raise it unless they got their way, despite the fact that raising it was a routine for them under Bush and every other president that preceded him.

When those negotiations were had they decided to time this fiscal cliff so that it was negotiated right after the election. The idea was that the candidates would put their solutions forward and let the American people decide how to proceed. Obama's signature campaign promise, and the main difference between him and Romney was in how we would treat the rich in terms of economic policy. Obama won. Now, the only reason why republicans won't come to the table is because they won't accept what the American people voted for.

1. Obama already hiked taxes on the rich with Obamacare
2. Boehner already offered $800 billion in tax hikes, only to have Obama immediately demand $1.5 trillion hike instead
3. It is the Democrats, who still have full control of the Senate and White House, who have been failling to pass a budget. Not the Republicans.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 7:00:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/19/2012 4:20:23 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:49:19 PM, Double_R wrote:
When the debt ceiling was reached last year it was the republicans who decided that they were not going to raise it unless they got their way, despite the fact that raising it was a routine for them under Bush and every other president that preceded him.

When those negotiations were had they decided to time this fiscal cliff so that it was negotiated right after the election. The idea was that the candidates would put their solutions forward and let the American people decide how to proceed. Obama's signature campaign promise, and the main difference between him and Romney was in how we would treat the rich in terms of economic policy. Obama won. Now, the only reason why republicans won't come to the table is because they won't accept what the American people voted for.

1. Obama already hiked taxes on the rich with Obamacare
2. Boehner already offered $800 billion in tax hikes, only to have Obama immediately demand $1.5 trillion hike instead
3. It is the Democrats, who still have full control of the Senate and White House, who have been failling to pass a budget. Not the Republicans.

Please re read my post.

1. That was way before the election, and has nothing to do with the subject.
2. Boehner's offer is not what Obama campaigned on... and won.
3. That has nothing to do with the subject.
CarefulNow
Posts: 780
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 12:36:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The legislative branch is inefficient in its design. Bicameralism amounts to supermajoritarianism, which nearly every democracy in the world recognizes as illegitimate. The president is elected by the same constituencies as Congress, so let's not pretend this usurpation of power (which began long before Obama) is a threat to anyone but Congressmen themselves.
1Percenter
Posts: 782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 8:41:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/19/2012 7:00:55 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 12/19/2012 4:20:23 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:49:19 PM, Double_R wrote:
When the debt ceiling was reached last year it was the republicans who decided that they were not going to raise it unless they got their way, despite the fact that raising it was a routine for them under Bush and every other president that preceded him.

When those negotiations were had they decided to time this fiscal cliff so that it was negotiated right after the election. The idea was that the candidates would put their solutions forward and let the American people decide how to proceed. Obama's signature campaign promise, and the main difference between him and Romney was in how we would treat the rich in terms of economic policy. Obama won. Now, the only reason why republicans won't come to the table is because they won't accept what the American people voted for.

1. Obama already hiked taxes on the rich with Obamacare
2. Boehner already offered $800 billion in tax hikes, only to have Obama immediately demand $1.5 trillion hike instead
3. It is the Democrats, who still have full control of the Senate and White House, who have been failling to pass a budget. Not the Republicans.

Please re read my post.

1. That was way before the election, and has nothing to do with the subject.
2. Boehner's offer is not what Obama campaigned on... and won.
3. That has nothing to do with the subject.

1. But the taxes don't go onto effect til January 1, which means its already part of the fiscal cliff. So it has everything to do with what you just said.
2. So? Every Republican campaigned and won on their ideals too. I doubt you can prove every one of Obamas voters voted based solely on his tax policy. Why shouldld they cave to Obamad demands?
3. It does when you start blaming Republicans entirely for the debt ceiling problems.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 10:25:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/23/2012 8:41:19 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 12/19/2012 7:00:55 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 12/19/2012 4:20:23 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
1. Obama already hiked taxes on the rich with Obamacare
2. Boehner already offered $800 billion in tax hikes, only to have Obama immediately demand $1.5 trillion hike instead
3. It is the Democrats, who still have full control of the Senate and White House, who have been failling to pass a budget. Not the Republicans.

Please re read my post.

1. That was way before the election, and has nothing to do with the subject.
2. Boehner's offer is not what Obama campaigned on... and won.
3. That has nothing to do with the subject.

1. But the taxes don't go onto effect til January 1, which means its already part of the fiscal cliff. So it has everything to do with what you just said.
2. So? Every Republican campaigned and won on their ideals too. I doubt you can prove every one of Obamas voters voted based solely on his tax policy. Why shouldld they cave to Obamad demands?
3. It does when you start blaming Republicans entirely for the debt ceiling problems.

1. The issue my statement addresses is who will be blamed for us going over the cliff, not what makes the cliff bad.
2. Obviously not every American voted based solely on tax policy. To imply that this was my argument is ridiculous. But this was the central issue in this election. You can't deny that. There is only one way to settle these kinds of disputes... with elections. The Presidential election is the only one where everyone had a chance to vote, Obama won.
3. No it doesn't, no one is talking about blaming anyone entirely, and this has nothing to do with the debt ceiling. Please keep up.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 11:34:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Roy, your post gets me down. It probably should though.

And Obama is even more pissing me off. His plan was what again? "For every $2.50 in spending cuts we will have $1 in tax hikes, on the top income people."

So far, Obama has his spending and tax hikes of nearly equal amounts. Why does he not see the light of how to help, rather than destroy the economy?
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 12:40:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
It's just a royal game of chicken to see which party is going to be forced to make cuts and take the blame for these cuts. Neither side wants to blink.