Jump to topic:

Ahh.. Rememberance Day

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 1:46:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What better way to honor those who kill for money by throwing an entire holoday for them? After all, killing is always wrong except when it's done against pesky Middle Easterns. Of course, we obviously had nothing to do with the reason why they attacked us, but we're still killing them for lolz.

On a serious note, there's absolutely no reason to honor those who kill for money. Not only are they causing havoc overseas, which is the very reason that they are being killed, but they are also doing it for supposed "peace." Last I checked, drone strikes that kill hundreds of innocent civilians and wars that kill over 150k of the native population are always promoting the best interest of international peace. When they attack us, it's considered a threat of "war" and we respond by sending thousands of our troops over there. When we attack them first, it's considered for the greater good and to civilize their own population under the pretense of either some "maniacal" dictator or because of some rogue group that has no affiliation with a country. And then, because of our oh-so positive attitude towards foreign peace, the very group that we attack becomes 7x its size due to our actions.

Case in point: Honoring the modern killing of civilians in other countries by guns-for-hire is an idiotic idea.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 1:55:25 PM
At 11/9/2012 1:46:06 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
What better way to honor those who kill for money by throwing an entire holoday for them? After all, killing is always wrong except when it's done against pesky Middle Easterns. Of course, we obviously had nothing to do with the reason why they attacked us, but we're still killing them for lolz.

On a serious note, there's absolutely no reason to honor those who kill for money. Not only are they causing havoc overseas, which is the very reason that they are being killed, but they are also doing it for supposed "peace." Last I checked, drone strikes that kill hundreds of innocent civilians and wars that kill over 150k of the native population are always promoting the best interest of international peace. When they attack us, it's considered a threat of "war" and we respond by sending thousands of our troops over there. When we attack them first, it's considered for the greater good and to civilize their own population under the pretense of either some "maniacal" dictator or because of some rogue group that has no affiliation with a country. And then, because of our oh-so positive attitude towards foreign peace, the very group that we attack becomes 7x its size due to our actions.

Case in point: Honoring the modern killing of civilians in other countries by guns-for-hire is an idiotic idea.

Agreed, I say we replace it with a day dedicated to reminding people with down syndrome that they're inferior. Maybe we could call it "bash a downy" day.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 1:56:08 PM
At 11/9/2012 1:52:50 PM, tulle wrote:
Remembrance Day is about WWI, not the current wars.

It's meant to honor all of the fighting that the mercenaries have done over the years.

Either way, in none of the World Wars, did the US even try to pursue diplomatic negotations with any of the countries before leaping into war.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 1:56:55 PM
At 11/9/2012 1:55:25 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 11/9/2012 1:46:06 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Agreed, I say we replace it with a day dedicated to reminding people with down syndrome that they're inferior. Maybe we could call it "bash a downy" day.

Seriously? Still butt hurt about that? Do you know anybody with DS?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 1:59:55 PM
SAwesome, a Veterans day thread!!!

This weekend my family and I will be attending several celebrations. A parade tomorrow. A community cook out later that evening. And after Church a Veterans day festival up in St. Florian.

Anyone else have plans for this awesome holiday?

I would also like to request thoughts and prayers for my two younger brothers currently serving this great Nation overseas. They have followed the strong family tradition of serving this country, even those that would degrade and spit on them
God Bless America.

The youngest is in the Army currently serving in Afghanistan.

And the other is serving in the Navy aboard a submarine, God knows where they are. That stuff is top secret.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:00:06 PM
At 11/9/2012 1:56:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Either way, in none of the World Wars, did the US even try to pursue diplomatic negotations with any of the countries before leaping into war.
Uh oh. Yes it did. Open up a history book, Ma'am.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:01:31 PM

See this thread is also ripe for the pickings. But I think is already backed up for a month already.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:18:32 PM
At 11/9/2012 2:00:06 PM, Mirza wrote:

In WWII, the USA joined immediately after Pearl Harbor.

In WWI, the USA joined more or less after a merchant vessel was sunk.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:23:02 PM
At 11/9/2012 1:56:55 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Yeah, get over it already. If we can't degrade the disabled, what are we even doing here?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:24:21 PM
Also, the Vietnam War is another perfect example of the sheer and utter stupidity that the USA has in relation to foreign policy. They marched into a foreign country, with virtually no reason, and got their as$ handed to them all the while massacring hundreds of thousands of native civilians and militia fighters.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:24:42 PM
At 11/9/2012 2:23:02 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Yeah, get over it already. If we can't degrade the disabled, what are we even doing here?

I do disagree about making a holiday for that, though. Every day should be bash-someone-with-down-syndrome-day.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:25:51 PM

el-oh-el.

Not knowing someone with Downs Syndrome doesn't make what you (LK) said less abhorrent (not to mention false).
yang.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:26:36 PM
At 11/9/2012 2:24:42 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I do disagree about making a holiday for that, though. Every day should be bash-someone-with-down-syndrome-day.

Truth is truth.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:26:51 PM

It's not a matter of degradation; it's matter of recognition of fact.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:27:33 PM
But this holiday can get me great deals on Hummers!!!
(Stolen from South Park)
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:28:48 PM
At 11/9/2012 2:18:32 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Can you tell me something about any diplomatic exchanges prior to the events? Can you also tell my why USA should try to negotiate anything after those two events? (Especially Pearl Harbor - It takes gigantic idiocy to think negotiations with the Japanese back then would be fair or effective.)
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:29:24 PM

Also, the British do it better.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:31:52 PM
And Lordknukle, How dare you not support the military that, out of all other institutions, does not offer ANY job for Down's Syndrome people? Shame on you!
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:32:41 PM
At 11/9/2012 2:29:24 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

I don't know about everywhere else but in Canada we wear poppies? John McCrae (Canadian surgeon during WWI) wrote "In Flanders Fields" which is a pretty big deal here :p

What do you guys do?
yang.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:37:49 PM
At 11/9/2012 2:28:48 PM, Mirza wrote:

Can you tell me something about any diplomatic exchanges prior to the events? Can you also tell my why USA should try to negotiate anything after those two events? (Especially Pearl Harbor - It takes gigantic idiocy to think negotiations with the Japanese back then would be fair or effective.)

Can you?
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:37:53 PM
At 11/9/2012 2:00:06 PM, Mirza wrote:

ROFLMAO

USA Joined way after the first merchant ship was sunk. The USA didn't join after the British intercepted a message from the Germans negotiating with the Mexicans to invade the USA. The US government waited for the German Foreign Minister to say "yes, we sent this" to send the message. In fact, if the German Foreign Minister wasn't so honest, he'd have pretty much won world war one for the Germans. Most didn't think he sent the message to Mexico: most thought it was a ploy by the British to get the USA to join in with the World War. Zimmerman (the German Foreign Minister) was a deciding factor in the Russian Revolution in all things, due to his negotiations with Lenin, and his work for the Germans were admirable (if it wasn't for the fact he lost the war, and was too honest. Too honest is a strange saying...)

Long story short: your lack of historical knowledge is embarrassing here.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 2:46:09 PM
At 11/9/2012 2:32:41 PM, tulle wrote:
At 11/9/2012 2:29:24 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

I don't know about everywhere else but in Canada we wear poppies? John McCrae (Canadian surgeon during WWI) wrote "In Flanders Fields" which is a pretty big deal here :p

What do you guys do?

We're in the Commonwealth - technically run the Commonwealth, but it's a tangental note of one-upmanship- how do you think? ;)

We have poppies for basically the entire month as remembrance over the period (as well as Movember which is a sidenote for this topic), as well as for some (e.g. MPs) beforehand. We have Douglas Haig making it massively prominent, and pretty much everyone wears one on Remembrance Sunday.

)

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 5:34:31 PM
At 11/9/2012 1:59:55 PM, jharry wrote:

This weekend my family and I will be attending several celebrations. A parade tomorrow. A community cook out later that evening. And after Church a Veterans day festival up in St. Florian.

I would also like to request thoughts and prayers for my two younger brothers currently serving this great Nation overseas. They have followed the strong family tradition of serving this country, even those that would degrade and spit on them
God Bless America.

And the other is serving in the Navy aboard a submarine, God knows where they are. That stuff is top secret.

Our thoughts and prayers, as well as our deepest gratitude, are with your brothers and all others like them.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 5:43:18 PM
At 11/9/2012 5:34:31 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 11/9/2012 1:59:55 PM, jharry wrote:

God Bless America.

Our thoughts and prayers, as well as our deepest gratitude, are with your brothers and all others like them.

Thank you Medic, you know as well as I do what that means to our boys and girls over there.

It may be interesting to know that my brother, Nick, he is Nicky to me and he hates it lol, is a combat medic and will most likely be in your line of work when he gets home.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 7:15:43 PM

Haha, oh irony. World War one was one of the most useless wars in history.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 7:22:08 PM
Oh and while LK did rush too quickly into his assertions about the US's involvement in the world wars, I do agree with him whole heartedly that the US military does not now and has rarely ever had anything to be proud about. I challenge someone to name a single war other than the Revolutionary War or World War 2 in which the United States acted ethically and produced a positive outcome.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 7:32:07 PM
The Revolution was ethical??? It was terrorism.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush