Total Posts:85|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Where did the Republicans go wrong?

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:08:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Let the record show that I underestimated Obama's electoral victory. I predicted 310 votes for him,....but as of now it is confirmed that he has 332 with the breaking news that Obama won the state of Florida.

...Just wanted to gloat a little bit :)
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:13:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:12:22 PM, Mirza wrote:
Are you happy to witness the downfall of your country?

In 4 years, we will be linking back to this to laugh at your comment.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:17:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I heard somewhere that its the republicans notion that its always the next guy up. They always pick the guy who waited his turn, even if they're not the best candidate.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:20:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:13:12 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:12:22 PM, Mirza wrote:
Are you happy to witness the downfall of your country?

In 4 years, we will be linking back to this to laugh at your comment.

In 4 years, we will be linking back to this to laugh at your comment.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:21:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:20:34 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:13:12 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:12:22 PM, Mirza wrote:
Are you happy to witness the downfall of your country?

In 4 years, we will be linking back to this to laugh at your comment.

In 4 years, we will be linking back to this to laugh at your comment.

Sure thing.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:21:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:13:12 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
In 4 years, we will be linking back to this to laugh at your comment.
The laugh is on you for supporting such an incompetent president. It takes toughness to do that. How you manage it is a miracle.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:28:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You simply cannot win an election when the ONLY racial demographic that supports you are Christian whites.

Luckily, 71% of the electorate was white, but only around 55-60% of school-age children are now white. The fastest growing minority (as well as every single other racial minority), hispanics, supported obama by a 42% margin.

Unless Republicans expand their base significantly and completely reform their ideology, I don't see them winning another presidential election ever again.
A moderate, more rational Republican party is a threat to Democrats and ideologically healthy, IMO.
Sapere Aude!
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:30:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:21:35 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:13:12 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
In 4 years, we will be linking back to this to laugh at your comment.
The laugh is on you for supporting such an incompetent president. It takes toughness to do that. How you manage it is a miracle.

Say what you like, we'll let history show and your words are already recorded (this is why I don't support editing posts).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:30:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:28:25 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
You simply cannot win an election when the ONLY racial demographic that supports you are Christian whites.

Luckily, 71% of the electorate was white, but only around 55-60% of school-age children are now white. The fastest growing minority (as well as every single other racial minority), hispanics, supported obama by a 42% margin.

Unless Republicans expand their base significantly and completely reform their ideology, I don't see them winning another presidential election ever again.
A moderate, more rational Republican party is a threat to Democrats and ideologically healthy, IMO.
By that I meant fortunately for Republicans, not some claim to racial superiority.
Had the electorate represented that of our nations schools and youth, it would have been an Obama landslide.
Sapere Aude!
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:30:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Nate Silver predicted the election with statistics. The republicans went wrong because they ignored facts to live in their "own reality".
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
1. Hardline immigration policy
2. Hardcore anti abortion policy
3. Trouble with message
4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama
5. Weak ground game

Fix these errors, and they have a good shot in 2016.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:31:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:28:25 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
You simply cannot win an election when the ONLY racial demographic that supports you are Christian whites.

Luckily, 71% of the electorate was white, but only around 55-60% of school-age children are now white. The fastest growing minority (as well as every single other racial minority), hispanics, supported obama by a 42% margin.

Unless Republicans expand their base significantly and completely reform their ideology, I don't see them winning another presidential election ever again.
A moderate, more rational Republican party is a threat to Democrats and ideologically healthy, IMO.

The problem is that in their primary, they have to go extreme to win, then try to swing back to a moderate in the election.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:34:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM, Contra wrote:
4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama

dude,...you're starting to get on my nerves. You're really really starting to annoy me....because it's not even like you're peacefully Libertarian, now you're just becoming a lying partisan. And that's not good.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:34:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM, Contra wrote:
1. Hardline immigration policy
2. Hardcore anti abortion policy
3. Trouble with message
4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama
5. Weak ground game

Fix these errors, and they have a good shot in 2016.
Marco Rubio might run for election in 2016. This will greatly help the GoP appeal to minorities. You're spot on with the five points -- Instead of switching to the center, the conservative ideas should be promoted and strengthened.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:35:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:31:23 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:28:25 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
You simply cannot win an election when the ONLY racial demographic that supports you are Christian whites.

Luckily, 71% of the electorate was white, but only around 55-60% of school-age children are now white. The fastest growing minority (as well as every single other racial minority), hispanics, supported obama by a 42% margin.

Unless Republicans expand their base significantly and completely reform their ideology, I don't see them winning another presidential election ever again.
A moderate, more rational Republican party is a threat to Democrats and ideologically healthy, IMO.

The problem is that in their primary, they have to go extreme to win, then try to swing back to a moderate in the election.
That apparently wasn't a problem for Romney. If the American people took issue with him changing his position on EVERY policy issue, they didn't show it.

The danger with going more moderate, I believe, is the radicalists in the right might be so isolated, they a) no longer support the elephants with their votes or money or b) divide all of conservatism by branching out into another party that actively challenges mainstream republicans.
Sapere Aude!
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:36:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:34:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM, Contra wrote:
4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama

dude,...you're starting to get on my nerves. You're really really starting to annoy me....because it's not even like you're peacefully Libertarian, now you're just becoming a lying partisan. And that's not good.

Especially considering that Sununu called the president lazy and incompetent and said he needs to learn how to be an American....
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:36:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM, Contra wrote:

4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama
I agree. 47% of Obama's attacks are ad homs...oh wait.
Sapere Aude!
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:37:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:34:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM, Contra wrote:
4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama

dude,...you're starting to get on my nerves. You're really really starting to annoy me....because it's not even like you're peacefully Libertarian, now you're just becoming a lying partisan. And that's not good.

Dude, you've been on mine and everybody else's nerves since the day you joined.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:37:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:37:21 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:34:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM, Contra wrote:
4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama

dude,...you're starting to get on my nerves. You're really really starting to annoy me....because it's not even like you're peacefully Libertarian, now you're just becoming a lying partisan. And that's not good.

Dude, you've been on mine and everybody else's nerves since the day you joined.

Am I the only one around here who actually likes ike?
Sapere Aude!
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:38:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:36:33 PM, 000ike wrote:
Especially considering that Sununu called the president lazy and incompetent and said he needs to learn how to be an American....
Words of wisdom! By the way, Sununu wasn't running for president, and didn't spend a quarter of his first term campaigning for presidency instead of finding solutions to America's problems.
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:39:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:37:59 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:37:21 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:34:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM, Contra wrote:
4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama

dude,...you're starting to get on my nerves. You're really really starting to annoy me....because it's not even like you're peacefully Libertarian, now you're just becoming a lying partisan. And that's not good.

Dude, you've been on mine and everybody else's nerves since the day you joined.

Am I the only one around here who actually likes ike?

Even ima thinks he's a partisan hack.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:41:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:34:55 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM, Contra wrote:
1. Hardline immigration policy
2. Hardcore anti abortion policy
3. Trouble with message
4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama
5. Weak ground game

Fix these errors, and they have a good shot in 2016.
Marco Rubio might run for election in 2016. This will greatly help the GoP appeal to minorities. You're spot on with the five points -- Instead of switching to the center, the conservative ideas should be promoted and strengthened.

You learned nothing. Obama did not court the African American vote simply because he was Black....and had Herman Cain went against say, Hillary Clinton, he would have lost the Black vote just the same as Mitt Romney.

If Marco Rubio goes with the same jingoistic rhetoric against illegal immigrants...you bet he will lose the latino vote all the same.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:41:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:34:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM, Contra wrote:
4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama

dude,...you're starting to get on my nerves. You're really really starting to annoy me....because it's not even like you're peacefully Libertarian, now you're just becoming a lying partisan. And that's not good.

Yeah, partisan hacks can be annoying amirite?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:42:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:39:17 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
Even ima thinks he's a partisan hack.

I'd argue anyone who conforms themselves to an ideology is a 'hack' to a certain extent. Is that necessarily bad? And does it necessarily yield un-likability? Sure, you lose objectivity, but you can't solely accuse ike of being partial on certains issues.
Sapere Aude!
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:42:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:34:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM, Contra wrote:
4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama

dude,...you're starting to get on my nerves. You're really really starting to annoy me....because it's not even like you're peacefully Libertarian, now you're just becoming a lying partisan. And that's not good.

But it's true!

Is America better off because too many saw Romney as a stiff businessman who is out of touch? Is America better off because we confronted Romney about his tax returns? Is America better off because we accused Romney of being a thief, by investing in the Cayman Islands, but it really just showed that we need to lower our corporate tax rates (or eliminate them) to become competitive?

What did Obama run on? "Making the wealthy pay their fair share!" "Making sure everybody gets a fair shot." Obama may deliver rhetoric, but not results. When we have trillion dollar deficits, we all are worse off. You DO NOT have a fair shot when unemployment among graduates is over 50% and gov't tuition is making college costs explode.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Ron-Paul
Posts: 2,557
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:43:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:42:06 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:39:17 PM, Ron-Paul wrote:
Even ima thinks he's a partisan hack.

I'd argue anyone who conforms themselves to an ideology is a 'hack' to a certain extent. Is that necessarily bad? And does it necessarily yield un-likability? Sure, you lose objectivity, but you can't solely accuse ike of being partial on certains issues.

When they're as bad as Ike you can.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:45:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:41:08 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:34:55 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/10/2012 1:31:19 PM, Contra wrote:
1. Hardline immigration policy
2. Hardcore anti abortion policy
3. Trouble with message
4. Didn't resort to ad hom attacks like Obama
5. Weak ground game

Fix these errors, and they have a good shot in 2016.
Marco Rubio might run for election in 2016. This will greatly help the GoP appeal to minorities. You're spot on with the five points -- Instead of switching to the center, the conservative ideas should be promoted and strengthened.

I fully agree Mirza, and have Chris Christie as VP or President, just a combination of the two guys on the ticket. And have Paul Ryan as their chief economic advisor. Dream team...

You learned nothing. Obama did not court the African American vote simply because he was Black....and had Herman Cain went against say, Hillary Clinton, he would have lost the Black vote just the same as Mitt Romney.

Democrats usually strongly have the black vote, besides in Alabama, they went Romney there. Don't know why.

If Marco Rubio goes with the same jingoistic rhetoric against illegal immigrants...you bet he will lose the latino vote all the same.

Marco Rubio was writing an conservative path to citizenship before Obama offered amnesty for child immigrants. I hope to God though that Rubio brings that bill to the 2016 campaign.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:47:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Really are we going to devote this thread to ripping Ike? We have a PM thread for the that.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:47:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/10/2012 1:41:08 PM, 000ike wrote:
You learned nothing.
Oh.

Obama did not court the African American vote simply because he was Black....and had Herman Cain went against say, Hillary Clinton, he would have lost the Black vote just the same as Mitt Romney.
I didn't say that. Did I? Do you know how to read?

If Marco Rubio goes with the same jingoistic rhetoric against illegal immigrants...you bet he will lose the latino vote all the same.
He has a couple of years to inspire the Latino voters and switch their ideologies. He'll learn his lesson and be able to deliver a clear, strong message.