Jump to topic:

Terrorism

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:20:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is just a question posed to us by my teacher in class today (my history teacher is probably one of the most intelligent people I've ever met, and he also teaches philosophy and ethics). The question being, what is the difference, if there is a difference, between the 'patriots' who punished tax collectors by having them drawn and quartered, and modern day terrorists who capture civilians, torture, and behead them. And just to be clear, I did not say tared and feathered, which is what most people automatically fill in when they hear that something was done to a tax collector. For those who are unaware, being drawn and quartered consists of- Being hanged to the point of near death, then being cut down and placed on your back, having your stomach cut open and your guts pulled out without causing you to die, setting them on fire, putting them back in (you're probably dead then) chopping you into 4 pieces and putting your head on a stake. I'll spare you the lecture about how this is the side of the American Revolution that you never hear about, I'm just interested if anyone can make a case for the American Patriots who murdered tax collectors being morally superior to modern day terrorists.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:24:22 PM
Not really, but I fail to see how it matters.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:29:47 PM
At 11/14/2012 4:24:22 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I thought it was an interesting question, because the American Patriots are constantly venerated, and leveling such a criticism as terrorism at them would be considered a horrible disgrace by many. If it matters at all, then that would be why.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:32:47 PM
At 11/14/2012 4:29:47 PM, Frederick53 wrote:

I thought it was an interesting question, because the American Patriots are constantly venerated, and leveling such a criticism as terrorism at them would be considered a horrible disgrace by many. If it matters at all, then that would be why.

Because one won, and the other lost. LAYMEN history is written by the victors.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:32:58 PM
At 11/14/2012 4:20:04 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
This is just a question posed to us by my teacher in class today (my history teacher is probably one of the most intelligent people I've ever met, and he also teaches philosophy and ethics). The question being, what is the difference, if there is a difference, between the 'patriots' who punished tax collectors by having them drawn and quartered, and modern day terrorists who capture civilians, torture, and behead them. And just to be clear, I did not say tared and feathered, which is what most people automatically fill in when they hear that something was done to a tax collector. For those who are unaware, being drawn and quartered consists of- Being hanged to the point of near death, then being cut down and placed on your back, having your stomach cut open and your guts pulled out without causing you to die, setting them on fire, putting them back in (you're probably dead then) chopping you into 4 pieces and putting your head on a stake. I'll spare you the lecture about how this is the side of the American Revolution that you never hear about, I'm just interested if anyone can make a case for the American Patriots who murdered tax collectors being morally superior to modern day terrorists.

The founding fathers were terrorists, soooo...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:34:23 PM

It's not as if the people who mattered did that, so I don't think it really matters. I mean, I know that Sam Adams was somewhat part of tar and feathering, but I also know a lot of the founding fathers strongly were against anything like that.

So, I don't think. It detracts from the Patrioits, since it was frowned upon, and discouraged. Anyways, we had perhaps one of the least bloody revolutions out there. I mean, some of them are just, bleh. They get pretty rough.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:35:28 PM
And, as for them being terrorists, duh.

But simply put, terrorists are attacking us. So, yeah we're gonna consider them evil and stuff, just like the British probably thought of us.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:36:02 PM
At 11/14/2012 4:35:28 PM, OberHerr wrote:

But simply put, terrorists now in days are attacking us. So, yeah we're gonna consider them evil and stuff, just like the British probably thought of us.

Fix'd.

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:41:26 PM
At 11/14/2012 4:34:23 PM, OberHerr wrote:

It's not as if the people who mattered did that, so I don't think it really matters. I mean, I know that Sam Adams was somewhat part of tar and feathering, but I also know a lot of the founding fathers strongly were against anything like that.

So, I don't think. It detracts from the Patrioits, since it was frowned upon, and discouraged. Anyways, we had perhaps one of the least bloody revolutions out there. I mean, some of them are just, bleh. They get pretty rough.

Well it wasn't NOT a bloody revolution, but I guess when compared to others it's not as bad. And I suppose since we don't know whether or not the people who did these things were given permission to do so or whether they were discouraged, it's hard to tell whether it reflects directly upon the founders.

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:43:53 PM

But simply put, terrorists are attacking us. So, yeah we're gonna consider them evil and stuff, just like the British probably thought of us.

Ok, well thanks for answering the question. I guess I shouldn't expect expect you to carry it to the logical conclusion that the US today is playing the same oppressive role that the British did then...

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 4:46:02 PM
The British coming to American soil with coercion to take their money. Sounds like they were the terrorists.

Hell, I'd rather have the IRS come take my taxes than have the Chinese come demand to have my money.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 5:14:14 PM
At 11/14/2012 4:43:53 PM, Frederick53 wrote:

Ok, well thanks for answering the question. I guess I shouldn't expect expect you to carry it to the logical conclusion that the US today is playing the same oppressive role that the British did then...

Well, I get why the British fought against us, and I get to a point why the terrorists of today dislike us. But comparing the two is so fallacious. They aren't similar at all.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 5:20:03 PM
At 11/14/2012 4:46:02 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The British coming to American soil with coercion to take their money. Sounds like they were the terrorists.

Hell, I'd rather have the IRS come take my taxes than have the Chinese come demand to have my money.

They actually came to British soil to take money. By the way, do you know what the effective tax rate was back then that so many decided to die over?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"